PDA

View Full Version : An American haunting

Angra
04-10-2006, 04:50 AM
This movie sure sounds like something for my taste and pretty promising as well.:)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0429573/

Anybody heard anything about this one?

The_Return
04-10-2006, 12:13 PM
Agreed, looks pretty good...but Im wary. Probably going to turn out like the Amityville remake...

SodaGirl
04-10-2006, 06:21 PM
I saw the trailer online and thought it looked pretty decent.

It's more of a rental then something I'd pay to see in theaters though.

Angra
04-11-2006, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by The_Return
Agreed, looks pretty good...but Im wary. Probably going to turn out like the Amityville remake...

Hey!!! I liked the Amityville remake.;)

Sick_As_Fuck
04-11-2006, 01:26 AM
The trailer looked promising. I'll most likely see it just because I see essentially every horror movie in the theatre.

Amalthea
04-11-2006, 04:46 AM
Looks promising, I'm into legends like this, I haven't jumped so much at a trailer before!
But i wait for the rental too!

The_Return
04-11-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Angra
Hey!!! I liked the Amityville remake.;)

As Austin would say...to each their own

Angra
04-12-2006, 01:50 AM
As Austin would say...to each their own

Amen!!!

Besides..... I´m right, you´re wrong. :cool:

:p

The_Return
04-12-2006, 03:24 AM
Amen!!!

Besides..... I´m right, you´re wrong. :cool:

:p

In all honesty, I probably should give Amityville another chance. I saw it in theatres and spent most of the time making fun of the girl beside me who was absolutly TERRIFIED.:p

Angra
04-12-2006, 03:45 AM
In all honesty, I probably should give Amityville another chance. I saw it in theatres and spent most of the time making fun of the girl beside me who was absolutly TERRIFIED.:p

If nothing else, watch it for Ryan´s delicious half naked body. :D LOL

No, but seriously, i thought Ryan was one of the main reasons this remake worked for me. Good performance..... And body. ;)

But i liked Brolin´s character in the original as well.:)

The_Return
04-12-2006, 04:00 AM
I hated Reynolds, I always do. He was way too over the top in that role, which I blame partially on poor writing. Brolin's portrayal was so much more subtle, the "Im coming apart" scene is one of my all-time favourite horror performances. You cared about his character, he was a nice guy and well written. His decent into madness seemed that much more disturbing, and when he finally snapped out of it at the end it was a relief. Reynolds on the other hand was a prick to begin with. He seemed ready to crack right from the start, which really detracted from the whole power of the house deal.

But like I say, I was pre-occupied during a few parts. I can get this used really cheap, Im thinking of picking it up sometime soon to give it another chance.

Angra
04-12-2006, 04:35 AM
I hated Reynolds, I always do. He was way too over the top in that role, which I blame partially on poor writing. Brolin's portrayal was so much more subtle, the "Im coming apart" scene is one of my all-time favourite horror performances. You cared about his character, he was a nice guy and well written. His decent into madness seemed that much more disturbing, and when he finally snapped out of it at the end it was a relief. Reynolds on the other hand was a prick to begin with. He seemed ready to crack right from the start, which really detracted from the whole power of the house deal.

But like I say, I was pre-occupied during a few parts. I can get this used really cheap, Im thinking of picking it up sometime soon to give it another chance.

I´m buying it too, when it´s on sale for $7,00. And trust, me that will happen... Soon.

The_Return
04-15-2006, 04:05 AM
I´m buying it too, when it´s on sale for $7,00. And trust, me that will happen... Soon.

Already has here...I got it for $6.99 yesterday:p. Probably will watch it this weekend sometime.

Angra
04-15-2006, 04:31 AM
Already has here...I got it for $6.99 yesterday:p. Probably will watch it this weekend sometime.

Really?

Has it been on sale for long?

The_Return
04-15-2006, 04:41 AM
Really?

Has it been on sale for long?

No idea. It was used though, I forgot to mention that. I think it's still fairly expensive new...

Angra
04-15-2006, 05:34 AM
No idea. It was used though, I forgot to mention that. I think it's still fairly expensive new...

Yeah well, there´s no hurry anyway.

knife_fight
04-15-2006, 11:04 PM
I will definitely try and see this. I met my fiance at the Bell Witch Festival in Addams, TN (she was in a band that was playing after my band played), then we danced the night away at the Bell Witch Opry. it was quite romantic in a Southern Gothic-y kind of way. we also got to spend the night in the only remaining building from the Bell Plantation. I didn't see/hear anything but some other people did (all the bands were staying in the same place).

Angra
04-18-2006, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by knife_fight
I will definitely try and see this. I met my fiance at the Bell Witch Festival in Addams, TN (she was in a band that was playing after my bands played), then me danced the night away at the Bell Witch Opry. it was quite romantic in a Southern Gothic-y kind of way. we also got to spend the night in the only remaining building from the Bell Plantation. I didn't see/hear anything but some other people did (all the bands we staying in the same place).

Spooky.

Were "some other people" girls? :rolleyes:

knife_fight
04-18-2006, 12:37 AM
nah, the other people were just other bands. like I said, all the bands got to stay a night in the same Bell Plantation building. some of em girls, but not all.

Angra
04-18-2006, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by knife_fight
nah, the other people were just other bands. like I said, all the bands got to stay a night in the same Bell Plantation building. some of em girls, but not all.

I was reffereing to the people who actually saw/heard something?

knife_fight
04-18-2006, 10:14 PM
my bad. no, they were mixed up. guys and girls. some of whom I knew well and trust their word.

Yeti.13
04-22-2006, 03:26 PM
An American Haunting,what a crock of shit.
Must be one of the worst films I have seen for quite a while, only went to see it as I had recently rewatched Carrie and thought it would be interesting to see what Sissy looked like now.

My advice is don't buy don't even rent borrow it of some idiot that bought it or forget it was ever made. 1/10 and that's only because it seem ok for about 2 minutes.

Angra
04-24-2006, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by Yeti.13
An American Haunting,what a crock of shit.
Must be one of the worst films I have seen for quite a while, only went to see it as I had recently rewatched Carrie and thought it would be interesting to see what Sissy looked like now.

My advice is don't buy don't even rent borrow it of some idiot that bought it or forget it was ever made. 1/10 and that's only because it seem ok for about 2 minutes.

:(

Yeti.13
04-24-2006, 06:47 AM

Hey some people may like it, as you may have guessed I didn't.

Get someone else to rent it go round their house watch it for free and nick their food and drink whilst there, and see what you think.
If you hate it it didn't cost you anything.:)

Angra
04-24-2006, 06:50 AM
Hey some people may like it, as you may have guessed I didn't.

Get someone else to rent it go round their house watch it for free and nick their food and drink whilst there, and see what you think.
If you hate it it didn't cost you anything.:)

Yeah, i guess you´re right.

I mean..... your favorite horror movie is "Devils rejects", for crying out loud!!!!?????

Yeti.13
04-24-2006, 07:22 AM
Yeah, i guess you´re right.

I mean..... your favorite horror movie is "Devils rejects", for crying out loud!!!!?????

Well actually I haven't changed that for a while, I had just been watching Devils Rejects when I did that I I do think it is very good.

All time favorite err more like Dawn/Day of the Dead, Texas CM, Evil Dead or Wicker Man

Angra
04-24-2006, 08:09 AM
Well actually I haven't changed that for a while, I had just been watching Devils Rejects when I did that I I do think it is very good.

All time favorite err more like Dawn/Day of the Dead, Texas CM, Evil Dead or Wicker Man

I see. You´re into gorry movies.

That could explain why you didn´t dig this one. ;)

Yeti.13
04-24-2006, 11:06 AM
I see. You´re into gorry movies.

That could explain why you didn´t dig this one. ;)

Good point but I do like none gorey films, American Haunting was just a big disappointment.:(

Angra
04-25-2006, 12:07 AM
Good point but I do like none gorey films, American Haunting was just a big disappointment.:(

kung-fu-jesus
05-01-2006, 05:04 AM
one word, three letters, and three dots,

D.V.D.

kung-fu-jesus
05-01-2006, 05:09 AM

whats wrong with the devils rejects, i mean it wasnt the greatest film of all time, but it wasnt that bad, defenitly top 10 films of 2005.

Angra
05-01-2006, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by kung-fu-jesus
whats wrong with the devils rejects, i mean it wasnt the greatest film of all time, but it wasnt that bad, defenitly top 10 films of 2005.

I hated everything about it.

That kind of horror just isn´t my cup of tea.

urgeok
05-01-2006, 08:38 AM
I hated everything about it.

That kind of horror just isn´t my cup of tea.

i also found it extremely unlikeable..

i'm also freaked out at the number of people not who just like the movie - but think the characters are some kind of heros.

same as the folks who are so in awe of serial killers.

i hate them, i think they are cowardly pieces of damaged shit and i'd love to know they were gone from the planet.

all through Devils Rejects i was hoping they family would be killed off ASAP..

hillbilly retards

Angra
05-01-2006, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by urgeok
i also found it extremely unlikeable..

i'm also freaked out at the number of people not who just like the movie - but think the characters are some kind of heros.

same as the folks who are so in awe of serial killers.

i hate them, i think they are cowardly pieces of damaged shit and i'd love to know they were gone from the planet.

all through Devils Rejects i was hoping they family would be killed off ASAP..

hillbilly retards

Yeah... The same was the case with "House of 1000 corpses".

To see all the likable people getting killed in disgusting ways by all the loonies, really made me feel uncomfortable in a very unenjoyable way... It actually made me feel pissed off.

urgeok
05-01-2006, 09:19 AM
Yeah... The same was the case with "House of 1000 corpses".

To see all the likable people getting killed in disgusting ways by all the loonies, really made me feel uncomfortable in a very unenjoyable way... It actually made me feel pissed off.

i didnt feel the same way about 1000 corpses ..
it was too crazy - too unrealistic ..

for some reason i can enjoy the stuff that completely nuts over the top...

but i dont want to watch shit that is right out of the evening news ..

Zero
05-01-2006, 10:00 AM
i didnt feel the same way about 1000 corpses ..
it was too crazy - too unrealistic ..

for some reason i can enjoy the stuff that completely nuts over the top...

but i dont want to watch shit that is right out of the evening news ..
agreed - for me House of 1000 was silly and stupid and a waste of my money. . .but Devils R was a loathsome celebration of sadism and the way the film put them up as heros - it made me physically ill

urgeok
05-01-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Zero
agreed - for me House of 1000 was silly and stupid and a waste of my money. . .but Devils R was a loathsome celebration of sadism and the way the film put them up as heros - it made me physically ill

i certainly didnt consider 1000 corpes a waste of time and money .. i thought it was fun ... in a crazy kind of way ..

Yeti.13
05-01-2006, 10:17 AM

I think Captain Spaulding and Ottis are great, but hey that's just my opinion, and no I don't idolize real life serial killers but most of the people they killed in Devils Rejects were whiney fucks and the sheriff needed a good kicking.

urgeok
05-01-2006, 10:33 AM
I think Captain Spaulding and Ottis are great, but hey that's just my opinion, and no I don't idolize real life serial killers but most of the people they killed in Devils Rejects were whiney fucks and the sheriff needed a good kicking.

yeah .. all whiney fucks and police should be killed.

serial killers are cool.

Yeti.13
05-01-2006, 10:41 AM
yeah .. all whiney fucks and police should be killed.

serial killers are cool.

For fucks sake I liked it you didn't, what the hell does it matter?
Surely you have better things to do than go on about people not liking the same as yourself?
Lets face it if everyone liked the same stuff how would you tell if something was bad? If you don't like what I like then the stuff I like is making yours cooler for you.:)

urgeok
05-01-2006, 11:14 AM
For fucks sake I liked it you didn't, what the hell does it matter?
Surely you have better things to do than go on about people not liking the same as yourself?
Lets face it if everyone liked the same stuff how would you tell if something was bad? If you don't like what I like then the stuff I like is making yours cooler for you.:)

i have no expectations that all people should like the same things ..

i have a problem with the casual attitude towards death .. because 'people are whiney.' 'the bitch deserved it' etc ..
i understand the context - it still sounds ugly.

Yeti.13
05-01-2006, 11:48 AM
i have no expectations that all people should like the same things ..

i have a problem with the casual attitude towards death .. because 'people are whiney.' 'the bitch deserved it' etc ..
i understand the context - it still sounds ugly.

Fair enough but why so down on this film?
In horror death usually is casual, Freddy(apart from being a child molester) and Jason kill loads of people no-one goes on about them. If they do they usually are more on about the brainless plots. Hannibal, accepted by more "non horror" folk, due to the fact he is clever, so what he takes more time in his killings and enjoys them all, and even worse he always gets away.

Although Devils Rejects may be grim, it no way makes killing look fun and the family don't seem to take a huge deal of pleasure in doing it. The actual deaths are pretty swift, yet again not like Hannibal who likes doing things slowly to classical music and explaining what he is about to do. And they are always on the run and don't have such a happy ending. In my mind that is sicker and whats worse is it is more acceptible than films like the Devils Rejects.

At the end of the day they are all just movies, watch what you want to watch and enjoy it.:D

Sorry to go on but I always find this point of view odd, you like Phantasm, now then are you saying that does not take a casual approach to death and has some more meaningful message to get across. I don't think so you just enjoy it for what it is, a film, and that's the way it is meant to be.

Think thats all I have to say and don't take any of this [ersonally I just don't agree with your point of view on this film that's all.:)

urgeok
05-01-2006, 12:26 PM
Fair enough but why so down on this film?
In horror death usually is casual, Freddy(apart from being a child molester) and Jason kill loads of people no-one goes on about them. If they do they usually are more on about the brainless plots. Hannibal, accepted by more "non horror" folk, due to the fact he is clever, so what he takes more time in his killings and enjoys them all, and even worse he always gets away.

Although Devils Rejects may be grim, it no way makes killing look fun and the family don't seem to take a huge deal of pleasure in doing it. The actual deaths are pretty swift, yet again not like Hannibal who likes doing things slowly to classical music and explaining what he is about to do. And they are always on the run and don't have such a happy ending. In my mind that is sicker and whats worse is it is more acceptible than films like the Devils Rejects.

At the end of the day they are all just movies, watch what you want to watch and enjoy it.:D

Sorry to go on but I always find this point of view odd, you like Phantasm, now then are you saying that does not take a casual approach to death and has some more meaningful message to get across. I don't think so you just enjoy it for what it is, a film, and that's the way it is meant to be.

Think thats all I have to say and don't take any of this [ersonally I just don't agree with your point of view on this film that's all.:)

i dont mind discussing it ..

most of the films i like portray violence as cartoonish - or unrealistic. it doesnt need to have a message .. i already understand what's right and wrong.

violent movies are a release for people ..
- they can live out their darker thoughts in a harmless way
(who doesnt love to see a bad guy get smoked)
- they can get off on the special effects
- they can dig the absurdity (see Story of Ricky)
- or they have a desire to see the envelope pushed - something that'll make them feel uncomfortable.

personally i like to see the bad guys get smoked - thats the depths of my depravity - i love to see justice done because its an unrealistic fantasy i have in this real world full of fucked up violent self serving retards.
I also dig special effects and the result of someone elses imagination.

i dont like to be made feel uncomfortable. I think its an easy thing to do so its not that much of a challenge - i cant respect something that easy.
(making someone laugh is a challenge)

what i personally dont like are films that portray violence to others in a cavalier fashion and portray the bad guys as cool anti heros. I think its damaging in its own way and I've seen plenty of evidence of it.

show me a guy who kills serial killers and i'll cheer for him (suspect zero)

i dont think everything has to have socially redeeming qualities ... i dont think people have to have the same view of the world as me - but it does naturally make me question some folks who praise violently antisocial behavior toward innocent people as 'cool'

for the record .. in film and print - i consider hannibal a candidate for capitol punishment.
i never thought he was cool or likeable and i always hope for the book/movie where someone finally does away with him.
the way harris made him into a super hero largely due to popular favor is a joke. he helped jodie foster - so he must be cool ... and so far he's only killed/eaten unlikeable characters ...

ok so he's a saint now ..

again .. i'm not suggesting everyone should think like me .. but my several years of developement as a person has left me with certain beliefs and standards - same as anyone else - and when i see something that flies in the face of something i believe in - i'll probably mention it.

this is a forum .. a forum is a place where people air their opinions .. hopefully in a constructive manner ..

Yeti.13
05-02-2006, 11:02 AM
I would definately agree with you on most of your points, and respect you and your opinion.

The reason I think some people, well I can only speak for myself here, like to have an "antihero" and root for the bad guy is down to mainstream Hollywood. How many "action" films do you see where the lasatest hollywood hero mows down wave after wave of bad guys just because his partner got killed. Yes he is attacking bad guys but most are just henchmen put in front of the camera to get killed by said hollywood hero to make them look good. It is nice once in a while to have the opposite happen, the bad guys to get all the luck and stay alive, in fact there are very few films in which the bad guys ever actually make it through all the way to the end to get away scot free, even in anti hero movies justice has to be done.

Obviously in the real world it is a different matter, and if any one is rooting for a killer they need some serious help.

I can appreciate what you say about films making you feel uncomfortable, but once in while I kinda like that myself. I would not like every film to it but occasionally like Devils Rejects, Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer, I Spit on your Grave and Scrapbook are a worthy addition to the "Horror" genre. And making you feel uncomfortable is easy to do, but to do it in a realistic way and convincing way doesn't happen that often, where as the vast majority or people are easily amused by the same old tired humour of the likes of American Pie and Scary Movie, not good fiilms but loads of people go to see them laugh and have a good time. But how many films are there that creep you out, which is a good thing but I do feel they have there place.

Oh bugger I'm off again and I appear to have hijacked this thread for long enough. Not trying to get in the last word and cut you off but I feel there are certain points we will just disagree and like you said that is fair enough but thanks for your opinon on the matter and sorry if I go on.:) It was just the "yeah .. all whiney fucks and police should be killed.

serial killers are cool." that got me going, as that is not what I meant.

urgeok
05-02-2006, 11:37 AM
It was just the "yeah .. all whiney fucks and police should be killed.

serial killers are cool." that got me going, as that is not what I meant.

no problem ..
its just that if you're here for a while you'll see some posts that do make you wonder about the people who post them.
there are a lot of wannabe badasses who do attempt to portray an aura of bravado by saying some pretty dumb to the point of offensive things ..

like going to the movie and some woman is being murdered - you'll always get some goof yelling 'give it to the bitch'

this is actually what gave Last House on the Left such a bad name in the beginning. Critics were reacting more to the audience than the actual film itself. Wannabe tough guys cheering for the rapists.

I know most times in these occasions what the motives are .. more a pathetic attempt to look tough and cool in front of friends to mask the discomfort they're feeling - but i'm still a bit oversensitive to it.

its a cliche but since i've had a kid - i take a lot more seriously than i used to - and value life a lot more..

(and for the same reason - i dont like to be made feel uncomfortable when watching a film ... the real world is far too full of things that make me feel that way already)

shawnmorello
05-03-2006, 06:21 PM
Amityville Horror can suck it if you ask me. There is no way to compare the movies, but only someone who pays enough attention to what the story is actually about might see that...I guess im the only person who did.

flyingmouse77
05-10-2006, 04:53 PM
Just saw it and really liked it. It's not a bloody type film, so if you're only into that sort of thing, you won't like it. A pretty standard ghost sort of story, and quite a lot of "make you jump" moments. I can say that when I got up to run to the bathroom, I was looking behind me in the theater corridorl. :p

flyingmouse77

Haunted
05-12-2006, 02:17 PM
The story of the Bell Witch has always been one of my favorite American legends, so I enjoyed this movie aside from the fact that it lagged a bit in some parts. It was good to see Donald Sutherland in a film again, as well. Sissy Spacek never disapoints me for some reason.

flyingmouse77
05-12-2006, 08:20 PM
I've loved Sissy Spacek since "Carrie," and I too thought it was nice to see Donald Sutherland again. I also saw a preview for the remake of "The Omen," and I'm excited about Julia Stiles being in that one.

Haunted, have you read any of the books about the legend?

flyingmouse77

phantomstranger
05-13-2006, 11:20 PM
I liked it. A good old fashioned ghost story.
Good acting and an interesting take on the legend. Far better then I expected.

VampiricClown
05-15-2006, 02:02 PM
I didn't care for this movie so much...

Yeti.13
05-16-2006, 12:21 PM
It was alright but the ending sucked!

evildeadfreak
05-17-2006, 03:34 AM
Wow, this movie really sucked........

SKOOFx
05-19-2006, 07:18 AM

I loved everything about it.

Except the part with tiny in the end. I dont get the logic behind it.

urgeok
05-19-2006, 08:23 AM
the ads for this one turned me off..made it look unappealing ..

is this also based on a 'true story' ?

Angra
05-19-2006, 08:25 AM
the ads for this one turned me off..made it look unappealing ..

is this also based on a 'true story' ?

Yup.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0429573/plotsummary

urgeok
05-19-2006, 08:34 AM
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

Angra
05-19-2006, 09:38 AM
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

You know, if you read between the lines you´ll get a completely different story. Goes a little like this:

A hillbilly family desides to try getting some easy money by violating their daughter and call it a haunting....

That would actually make a much more frightening movie, i´m sure.

urgeok
05-19-2006, 09:39 AM
and much more true also.

Angra
05-19-2006, 10:04 AM
and much more true also.

Exactly.