PDA

View Full Version : Questions

The_Return
04-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Ok, so Im kind of considering adapting my short story "Descent" into a screenplay and eventually a short film.

A few problems:

- I have no idea how to write a screenplay. Well, I sort of have an idea, I read the guide on Bruce Campbell's site:p.

- I have of idea what kind of camera to use. Any suggestions of something relatively inexpensive?

If you want to read the story it's in the Fiction section.

alkytrio666
04-09-2006, 09:39 AM
http://www.screenplay.com/products/mms/index.htm

The above link will give you a page for the Movie Magic Screenwriter, a great program to use. I love it, and once you get the hang of it, you can write great, professional scripts.

The above link leads you to two options.

a) A demo (Under the "buy" option"). This is what I have. The demo allows you to print one full-length script- but only one. After that, you must buy the program. There is no time limit, you just have to choose only one of your works to be able to print. You CAN write as many scripts as you want- just know you are only allowed one in hard copy.

b) The full version, available to purchase. However, if you're like me, a kid with a small income and many things to buy, the $224 price is a little much.

I suggest going for the demo. I promise you you'll like it.

And good luck!

The_Return
04-09-2006, 05:52 PM
Thanks man, I'll look into that.

Any tips on a camera?

alkytrio666
04-09-2006, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by The_Return
Thanks man, I'll look into that.

Any tips on a camera?

Well, I just use a standard Cannon DV. Not very expensive at all. Type Cannon into Amazon or something and tell me what you find.

alkytrio666
04-09-2006, 06:14 PM
Oh yah, and invest some money into a tripod! In my personal experience, a shaking camera hand turns a low-budget movie into a six-feet under budget movie. They aren't much money at all, and make filmin smooth and steady.

MisterSadistro
04-10-2006, 04:53 AM
The debate goes on about which is the "best" screenplay writing software. They're all pretty much the same honestly. You can get Celtx, fully functional and free at their website.
I agree about the tripod 100%. Some handheld shakiness works wonders, but if it's the whole film, it's completely ineffective (and highly annoying). Good lighting and sound are always a plus.
CK

alkytrio666
04-10-2006, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by MisterSadistro
Good lighting and sound are always a plus.

Yes. Yes. I forgot about that. A boom cam might be a good investment. Muted, home video type sound is never a good thing, but good sound quality can get pricy. If you can, put some of your budget towards your sound.

Lighting can be a little cheaper, so for sure look into that.

Good points, Mr. S.

The_Return
04-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Lighting + Sound :

Im seriously considering doing it as a b/w silent film. If you've read the source material, I think that would suit it well. Plus that way I dont need to worry as much about actors. One problem there is that I would need music, anyone know of either a good program or where I could find some public domain stuff?

For a camera, how's this one? It's in my price range, but I dont know if it's any good. Easy to use?

Sony MiniDV Camcorder (http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10071327&catid=10545)

MisterSadistro
04-10-2006, 11:39 AM
Before you start adding tunes randomly because they're listed as public domain, read this first:
Public Domain Info (http://www.pdinfo.com/)
Just because a composition is P.D., the recording of it is not. You can buy CDs of tracks recorded for sole purpose of using in movies (the artist are already prepaid for it), but the discs themselves will run into the hundreds of dollars easily. Your best bet is to find unsigned bands or composers online. Many of them would gladly let you use music for a credit and copy of the finished movie. I've done it plenty of times myself.
As for the camera, I couldn't tell you. I've only shot on a Sony once before and it was night time out. To me, they all look the same under streetlights.
Good luck.
CK

The_Return
04-10-2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks alot man! Any suggestion on forums or something where I might be able to find some of the bands/artists?

Another thing:

This wont pose a problem until I actually film the thing, which wont be anytime soon, but there's one part Im not sure how to shoot. I'll copy/paste the passage from the story:

"The rain was cold that night, but Victor would have given most anything to feel it beating down on his face. He must have blacked out, he couldn’t tell where he was or how long he’d been there. It seemed like a small pit, or a grave of some sort. The lack of oxygen was wreaking havoc on his mind, and suddenly, as though watching a movie, he saw himself less than a full day ago, happily at his home..."

Basically, how would I be able to show him burried in the grave?

Angelakillsluts
04-10-2006, 04:13 PM
Look at Panasonic's PV-GS series, Return.

MisterSadistro
04-10-2006, 05:10 PM
Look at Panasonic's PV-GS series, Return.
I was going to post a pic of me holding mine and say "Like this ?", but that's impossible to do since I'd take pic with it. oh well.

Is he in a coffin ? Simple. Long crate, low light (darken in post if necessary), make it seem constrictive (seen 'Kill Bill Vol 2' ?).
In ground ? You'll be better off digging actual hole for this.
Remember: if you use good sound, you can easily fool a viewer into thinking he's in the grave if it's dark. Shallow breathing, heartbeat exaggerated, etc. should work like a charm, esp if you do cutaways from above ground during the scene. Try a slow pan and zoom towards the location he's supposed to be buried. I'd shoot an example myself of what I mean, but it's already dark out here (and I already did a bunch of insert shots today- ugh!).
CK

alkytrio666
04-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by The_Return
Thanks alot man! Any suggestion on forums or something where I might be able to find some of the bands/artists?

Another thing:

This wont pose a problem until I actually film the thing, which wont be anytime soon, but there's one part Im not sure how to shoot. I'll copy/paste the passage from the story:

"The rain was cold that night, but Victor would have given most anything to feel it beating down on his face. He must have blacked out, he couldn’t tell where he was or how long he’d been there. It seemed like a small pit, or a grave of some sort. The lack of oxygen was wreaking havoc on his mind, and suddenly, as though watching a movie, he saw himself less than a full day ago, happily at his home..."

What I'd do is this:

As a shoking, final scene, show a very, very close shot of maybe just hid eyes, opening. Then show his eyes slowly evolve to a terror-stricken look.

Then cut to a scene of a coffin, not showing where it is, just enough pan to show that he is indeed in a closed coffin. (He doesn't have to be shown, just the coffin does).

Finally, cut to a shot of the ground, a little overturned soil. The audience will get the hint that there is a coffin uder there.

Then the camera could go black, and we'd hear a scream in the dark. And then the credits come a-rollin'.

But that's just a suggestion.

MisterSadistro
04-10-2006, 05:29 PM
Oops ! I got carried away with the shot and forgot to answer about music LOL. Do a Google search for "unsigned bands" and you'll get over a million and a half results. Many (not all) would give you rights to use a tune just so they can add to their resume that they've "been recorded in a movie". Seriously. I've found the bands that aren't signed, rich, famous, etc will part with music much easier than bands who already have all that. Ironic.
Worse comes to worse, you can always hit me up for some down the line. I have some that a filmmaker used in his movie, he never sent me a copy which is now sold on Amazon, and is only good for a lawsuit since I never sent him release forms LOL. What's wrong with people ?
CK

Angelakillsluts
04-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by MisterSadistro

Worse comes to worse, you can always hit me up for some down the line.

Off-topic but I just wanted to say that some of your newer compositions (or the ones most recently added to your webpage) are really good. I've been sitting here and I keep listening to some of them over and seeing different opening scenes play-out in my head. lol sad sad...

anyway! I just wanted to say that I like em. :D

Angelakillsluts
04-10-2006, 07:22 PM
OK, Return. I just read your story and I loved it
. Make it a movie, make it a movie now! lol. I think black and white would work really well.

I would make a really good story in a series of grizzly tales, think Creepshow. I just don't like the idea of short films, and I only like them when they are truly weird.

I would say write that script/screenplay up first before you worry about the other stuff. Maybe you won't need a camera or lights or sound equipment. I'm going to shoot my first real movie this summer (hopefully... it seems like it's going to be nearly impossible with some people working at restaurants and others in offices... very different work schedules) It's the most unoriginal horror movie ever, I'm just sort of testing the waters before I completely drown myself but I've still found myself someone fresh out of film school with all the sound equipment needed. He actually wants to do it, I have a stupid idea as well so he shouldn't want to waste his time on me!) Now if I can find a DP willing to work for cheap, maybe I won't need to rent lights. :D So what I'm saying is the more people who see your kick ass script and know you want to make a movie the more people they tell and the higher chance they tell someone you can use. OK, that sounds pretty shallow... blame Lloyd Kaufman haha

Anyway, pm it to me when it's finished and I would be more than happy to read it and critique. :)

MisterSadistro
04-10-2006, 07:39 PM
anyway! I just wanted to say that I like em.
I haven't written anything except the western teaser tune in ages I'm afraid (never home long enough to lately).
You of course have permission to use anything you like. I can send you some CDs.
CK