PDA

View Full Version : Remakes you would actually like to see happen...

Narg
03-24-2006, 09:22 PM
What are some movies you've seen that, although a good premise in general...or had a certain magic to it, just fell flat in the end? Any you would think would actually benefit from a recreation?

Since obviously this is the age of grave robbing...

I think "Don't Look in the Basement" was always a cool little movie, although god-f#@$ing-awful in reality. I think a remake of that would be great really.

"The Crazies" I always thought would be great to remake, I heard rumors it was being done a while ago...for all I know it still is.

On a side note, David Cronenberg should have directed "Nightbreed" instead of just acting in it, although obviously it was cool as hell. I wouldn't mind seeing that movie done again if that was the case. :D

(To date the only remakes I've enjoyed would be The Hills Have Eyes and Night of the Living Dead. Most others are generally sterile and poorly realized. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was enjoyable but just did nothing to carry the feel of the original. I still own it and enjoy it but to carry that name I feel it should have been a stronger film...as is the case with Dawn of the Dead. [/rant])

The STE
03-24-2006, 09:26 PM
Debbie Does Dallas. It had a good premise, but two things killed the movie for me:

1) All the hair. It's like razors weren't invented until the late 80s or something. It's like they stapled muppets to their groins

2) Blue semen. There's fucking blue semen coming out of a guy's penis in one of the scenes. That's just gross.

I'd totally be into a smooth shaven, white semen'd version of Debbie Does Dallas

Posher778
03-25-2006, 06:08 AM
There's a thread for this too.:rolleyes:

knife_fight
03-25-2006, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Narg
I think "Don't Look in the Basement" was always a cool little movie, although god-f#@$ing-awful in reality. I think a remake of that would be great really.

I could handle that. I actually like the original, but a remake could be cool.

Narg
03-25-2006, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by The STE
Debbie Does Dallas. It had a good premise, but two things killed the movie for me:

1) All the hair. It's like razors weren't invented until the late 80s or something. It's like they stapled muppets to their groins

2) Blue semen. There's fucking blue semen coming out of a guy's penis in one of the scenes. That's just gross.

I'd totally be into a smooth shaven, white semen'd version of Debbie Does Dallas

They remade it about ten years ago I think. Smooth and white all the way through. ;)

Haunted
03-25-2006, 09:21 AM
Not so much of a remake, but I'd like to see The Breakfast Club (one of my absolute favorite movies) done with either, please pardon the expression, generation X (mine) or the generation after that. The archetypes have changed so much (and things are still the same) it would be interesting to see how it would play out.

knife_fight
03-25-2006, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Haunted
Not so much of a remake, but I'd like to see The Breakfast Club (one of my absolute favorite movies) done with either, please pardon the expression, generation X (mine) or the generation after that. The archetypes have changed so much (and things are still the same) it would be interesting to see how it would play out.

that would be cool. what modern archetypes would you use, as opposed to the originals? and who would play em?

Haunted
03-25-2006, 03:33 PM
To answer this question I'm going to put the original actors/characters, a dash and the archetype of today. Actresses and actors... I'm not so sure of at the mo.

Ally Sheedy/Alison- Goth girl, with a little more attitude than Alison
Jud Nelson/ John Bender- a gangster rapper type kid
Molly Ringwald/Claire- that archetype never dies, but maybe she's black.
Emilio Estevez/Andrew- Another archetype that never dies, again, unfortunately, but instead of being a wrestler, he's into marshal arts.
Anthony Micheal Hall/Bryan- Instead of being really good at mathematics, he's a mad computer dude.

Let's keep Vernon as the same kind of guy only played by someone you wouldn't expect. The only example I could come up with is Chow yun Fat. Don't ask me why.

Narg
03-25-2006, 03:56 PM
To answer this question I'm going to put the original actors/characters, a dash and the archetype of today. Actresses and actors... I'm not so sure of at the mo.

Ally Sheedy/Alison- Goth girl, with a little more attitude than Alison
Molly Ringwald/Claire- that archetype never dies, but maybe she's black.
Emilio Estevez/Andrew- Another archetype that never dies, again, unfortunately, but instead of being a wrestler, he's into marshal arts.
Anthony Micheal Hall/Bryan- Instead of being really good at mathematics, he's a mad computer dude.

Let's keep Vernon as the same kind of guy only played by someone you wouldn't expect. The only example I could come up with is Chow yun Fat. Don't ask me why.

Mmmmm, not bad....how about....

Alison - Ridlin girl who was possibly abused by her adopted parents and has turned into an angsty, "bi" art student drop out that cuts herself and listens to Diamanda Galas and swears it's the voice of God.

Claire - Exactly the same but with a nose job and a Prada bag, absolutely emulates Paris Hilton and spends her Father's money on abortions.

Andrew - Exactly the same yet moodier due to the performance enhancing steroids and his drinking problem. Likes to hunt "fags" in his spare time. HE would be the white gangsta-rapper wigger.

John - Metalhead. Smarter in life than the rest, angry as all hell and still pretty much a stoner/anti-socialite.

Brian - Mad computer nerd, yes, also extremely homosexual and into emo. He's got that hair blown from behind by an industrial fan look. The real difference is he would be all the girl's "friend" due to his girly demeanor.

Haunted
03-25-2006, 04:02 PM
Not bad. There are so many archetypes to play with when talking about that film.

Narg
03-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Not bad. There are so many archetypes to play with when talking about that film.

What's truly sad is the sheer number of them that there are to choose from with people these days.

Haunted
03-25-2006, 05:22 PM
Well, it's also a bit interesting, like one of those paintings that is just blobs of different colors thrown on a canvass.

Elvis_Christ
03-25-2006, 05:26 PM

NO! :eek:

Narg
03-25-2006, 05:32 PM
Well, it's also a bit interesting, like one of those paintings that is just blobs of different colors thrown on a canvass.

You see...I associate that with Pollack...not interesting.

cheebacheeba
03-25-2006, 05:47 PM
All I can really think of at the moment.
The Thing
Logans Run
BrainDead (aka Dead Alive)
V - The Series

...I know they're all pretty close to perfection IMO anyway, and I know they say you can't improve on perfection,...but, if the remakes were done well, with todays technology available...assuming they changed enough to make them more "reimaginings" that "remakes", a different spin, or someone elses perception on an idea can be great...I'd go with all of these.

The_Return
03-25-2006, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by cheebacheeba

The Thing

*Spoilers, incase there's actually some poor soul who hasnt seen The Thing*

Personally, I think a remake would be an awful idea for the same reason the Evil Dead remake is a terrible idea. MacReedy is a great character, and noone but Kurt Russel could play him well. A sequel, on the other hand, could be pretty cool. Rescue team comes along, finds Mac and Chlid's bodies, and takes them back to America for burial or something. Turns out one of them [Childs, the way I see it] was a Thing, and when he thawed out, he continues to reigh havok. It would end with the Earth being totally overrun by The Thing, just like Doc predicted.

Dont give me credit for the idea, there was a rumor about them making a mini-series with that concept awhile back. If it had a decent budget, I think that would be a great idea.

Posher778
03-25-2006, 05:58 PM
I think dead alive with more seriousness would be great. and KILL that shit ending with the big boobie monster mom thing.

cheebacheeba
03-25-2006, 06:10 PM
Personally, I think a remake would be an awful idea for the same reason the Evil Dead remake is a terrible idea. MacReedy is a great character, and noone but Kurt Russel could play him well. A sequel, on the other hand, could be pretty cool.
I know what you're saying, and totally agree with you, that's why I say I'm against straight remakes, and more into what you'd call a reinvention/reimagining...because those kinda films can encompass events that take place before, during, or after...like...the thing in particular, they made an excellent game that worked a little like a sequel, but covered events of the movie...I think that as long as there's enough original material in there, a remake doesn't have to be a bad thing.
Of course, there WILL be shit remakes, but yknow...

Despare
03-25-2006, 07:54 PM
The Crazies looks like it's still on. Guy who's doing the new sp is the same guy who did the TCM remake, Amityville remake, and Machinist it seems so who knows. Seems like it could go either way.