PDA

View Full Version : The Bird Flu, what do you think?

monalisa
03-14-2006, 06:19 PM
A friend of mine sent me the following link. Interesting article. Not sure what I believe about this. Some say it's real, some say it's some kind of government plot to scare us all and think we need them, while keeping us distracted from whatever evils they are doing that don't want us to pay attention to.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000081&sid=aqfqgpKkd.5Y&refer=australi

MichaelMyers
03-14-2006, 06:21 PM
I'm bullish on bird flu. It's going places!

Despare
03-14-2006, 06:47 PM
I've been talking about the Avian Flu for over a year now, I'm dissapointed it hasn't moved as fast as I thought but I'm happy people aren't dieing from it. Just made me look like an idiot for a while.

"Where's this chicken flu Sean?"

"Shutup... it's coming."

cheebacheeba
03-14-2006, 08:08 PM
Heard a joke a little while ago.

A lion and a tiger find themselves chasing the same chicken, and while on the run, the lion says "back off, I'm king of the jungle, people fear my very name!" the tiger replies "I'm just as mighty, and even more fearsome than you!" snarling. The chicken stops, and right before being ripped apart, the chicken says "Big fucking deal, all I have to do is cough and the whole world shits itself".

I'm not worried about the bird flu thing. True, Australia is located closer to asia and all, but...
1: There's actually medication to immunise yourself against it, it's called "tami-flu" or some shit like that...it's in high demand, but it's available.
2: Australia is not nearly as population congested as most other countries including the USA, UK, all other asian countries, so the spread would be much slower. I'd think there'd be adequet enough warning.
3: If it happens ANYWHERE, all you really have to do is stock up on supplies, wear a gas mask, and at this point, you'd be alright.

I'd be a little more worried if I lived in a more heavily populated country though...

slasherman
03-14-2006, 09:51 PM
...its the end of the world as we know it....
...maybe

Angra
03-15-2006, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by slasherman
...its the end of the world as we know it....
...maybe

Birdy-birdy, bye-bye.

Haunted
03-15-2006, 04:56 AM
This kind of stuff, like nuclear holocausts doesn't frighten me. There's not a damn thing I can do about it. Unlike the nuclear holocaust, though, there are measures that I can take try and prevent a disasterous fate. I could just try and keep my immune system as strong as possible.

I did read in National Geographic (one of my all time favorite magazines) that the tami-flu vaccine was not 100% effective if it's really all that effective at all. The problem with this avian flu is that it's so resistant to vaccine and treatment. It's not your mother's influenza. Hopefully, since the threat is so imminent that our medical researchers EVERYWHERE are looking into better treatment plans and preventatives.

I hope you're right, Cheeba. I hope the threat in Austrailia is low and stays low. Unfortunately, if this DOES become pandemic, I'm afraid your chances will be as good as the lot of us. Stay healthy, dude. You know the spices that boost the immune system.

Say, you could help the rest of us out if you wanted to. You could give us proper cooking techniques AND foods that help the immune system. It's just a thought, but a good way for you to share some of your learning. Even if we WEREN'T threaten with a global virus, foods to boost your immune system would be something worth knowing.

monalisa
03-15-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Haunted

I hope you're right, Cheeba. I hope the threat in Austrailia is low and stays low. Unfortunately, if this DOES become pandemic, I'm afraid your chances will be as good as the lot of us. Stay healthy, dude. You know the spices that boost the immune system.

Say, you could help the rest of us out if you wanted to. You could give us proper cooking techniques AND foods that help the immune system. It's just a thought, but a good way for you to share some of your learning. Even if we WEREN'T threaten with a global virus, foods to boost your immune system would be something worth knowing. [/B]

Great idea! Not all of us are chef's, but many of us love to cook and those that don't, have to eat anyway. Might as well give advice and be helpful when you can Cheeba.

stubbornforgey
03-15-2006, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by monalisa
A friend of mine sent me the following link. Interesting article. Not sure what I believe about this. Some say it's real, some say it's some kind of government plot to scare us all and think we need them, while keeping us distracted from whatever evils they are doing that don't want us to pay attention to.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000081&sid=aqfqgpKkd.5Y&refer=australi

ok ..ppl snickered off the madcow disease
untill it hit thier own shores.
Not everything is a govt coverup..
the bird flu is real and its spreading like wildfire.
The fact that it started in an asian country and has spread becos of thier constant need to cover up any dilemmas and outrageous need to smuggle contriband..not to mention their constant attitude towards other countries and thier health requirements
is where we our anger should be targeted.Not our own govts who are only trying to protect us .

Haunted
03-15-2006, 10:43 AM
You've got a point, Stubborn.

It's like

"Hmmm...dah daaahhh doo bee doo... Let's kill chicken pin A and let chicken pin B go to market. That way, no one will suspect a thing. Now, let's just close our eyes, and pretend it never happened. What? Thirty people are dead? In two days? Can't be the chickens, but if it is, who cares. We got paid anyway. Besides, we're having good ol' American beef for dinner."

Zero
03-15-2006, 01:58 PM
two words

"global pandemic"

be prepared!

(fortunately for me its not monkey flu, now that would be scary!)

Yellow Jacket
03-15-2006, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Zero
two words

"global pandemic"

be prepared!

(fortunately for me its not monkey flu, now that would be scary!)

LMFAO!!! BTW- I found a picture that you might want to use as your avatar Zero.

http://static.flickr.com/6/9769203_b22c1450ea_m.jpg

Zero
03-15-2006, 02:18 PM
damn - but i promised HammerFan I'd quit!

Caught in the act!!

:D

newb
03-15-2006, 02:31 PM

Caught in the act!!

Again

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/rockinmule/Missionarycrop.jpg

Nyarlathotep
03-15-2006, 02:40 PM
http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/m2/oct2005/1/2/0006D022-009B-1361-A1D90C01AC1BF814.jpg

stubbornforgey
03-15-2006, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Nyarlathotep
http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/m2/oct2005/1/2/0006D022-009B-1361-A1D90C01AC1BF814.jpg

LMAO

Haunted
03-15-2006, 03:09 PM
:eek: :eek: OH SHIT!!! I just realized something that is worse than death! If this does become a pandemic, there will be no more chicken tika masala, chicken korma, or bar-b-q chicken!

OH THE HUMANITY!!!!:(

Yellow Jacket
03-15-2006, 03:34 PM
damn - but i promised HammerFan I'd quit!

Caught in the act!!

Just think of what Tiffany said in Seed of Chucky. "Rome wasn't built in a day."

Yellow Jacket
03-15-2006, 03:36 PM
:eek: :eek: OH SHIT!!! I just realized something that is worse than death! If this does become a pandemic, there will be no more chicken tika masala, chicken korma, or bar-b-q chicken!

OH THE HUMANITY!!!!:(

Does this mean we have to eat barbecued frog?

http://www.barbecue-store.com/images/apron-frog.jpg

monalisa
03-15-2006, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by stubbornforgey
ok ..ppl snickered off the madcow disease
untill it hit thier own shores.
Not everything is a govt coverup..
the bird flu is real and its spreading like wildfire.
The fact that it started in an asian country and has spread becos of thier constant need to cover up any dilemmas and outrageous need to smuggle contriband..not to mention their constant attitude towards other countries and thier health requirements
is where we our anger should be targeted.Not our own govts who are only trying to protect us .

I agree with the Asian country comments, totally, but please don't be so quick to trust our own government. They are far from Angels!

Now I'll probably be on someone's target list as a terrorist since they can monitor us without permission or warrent. OK, off my damn soapbox. Back to having a sense of humor. Loved the turkey pic from Nyarlathotep and the monkeys.

scouse mac
03-16-2006, 12:36 AM
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f353/nmc1/3875.jpg

Zero
03-16-2006, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by newb
Again

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/rockinmule/Missionarycrop.jpg

and the really embarssing thing is that that's Newb's sister

newb
03-16-2006, 08:07 AM
and the really embarssing thing is that that's Newb's sister

Which reminds me....you owe me $3.50 and a bunch of bananas.....newb's sister don't come cheap.

ItsAlive75
03-16-2006, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by newb
Which reminds me....you owe me $3.50 and a bunch of bananas.....newb's sister don't come cheap.

Psh, overrated. Why get a trained monkey? Those wild monkeys are so much better...jerk you off with their feet...

Haunted
03-16-2006, 11:15 AM
^^ EWWWWW! That is a visual image I did NOT need.

Just for that, I'll get you my pretty, and your little monkey too!

GROSS!

ItsAlive75
03-16-2006, 07:12 PM
^^ EWWWWW! That is a visual image I did NOT need.

Just for that, I'll get you my pretty, and your little monkey too!

GROSS!

I didn't wanna see it either, but what can you do when the other monkeys are blocking the door?

Haunted
03-17-2006, 05:59 PM
Close your fucking eyes for one thing. Either way, it's not compulsory to share that horrible experience, but if you close your eyes, you won't see it. Therefore, you can't share it. I'd also rather not have your imaginative speculation on what was going on as well.

ItsAlive75
03-17-2006, 06:05 PM
Close your fucking eyes for one thing. Either way, it's not compulsory to share that horrible experience, but if you close your eyes, you won't see it. Therefore, you can't share it. I'd also rather not have your imaginative speculation on what was going on as well.

Hmm.... close my eyes, and I won't see what's happening, eh?

Sounds like what my dad used to tell me when I was little when he... oh wait, you don't want to hear anymore. Goooootcha.:)

Haunted
03-17-2006, 06:07 PM
Jeeesuuuusss Christ, you are a twisted fucker, you know that?

You know, IA (see, I did it right), I'd flirt with you, but you scare me too much.:D

ItsAlive75
03-17-2006, 06:10 PM
Jeeesuuuusss Christ, you are a twisted fucker, you know that?

You know, IA (see, I did it right), I'd flirt with you, but you scare me too much.:D

I always assumed I had a solid mixture of horror and charm... maybe more horror than charm?

monalisa
03-17-2006, 06:11 PM
So basically we may all die because of flu infected poultry, but the monkeys will be happily fucking all day long. Hmmmm, I smell Planet of the Apes! (sniff sniff, "You stink of human"). :p

I wanna be a monkey!

Haunted
03-17-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by ItsAlive75
I always assumed I had a solid mixture of horror and charm... maybe more horror than charm?

Let me ask you this, and I won't bother you anymore.

Are you submissive or dominate?

ItsAlive75
03-17-2006, 06:18 PM
Let me ask you this, and I won't bother you anymore.

Are you submissive or dominate?

:cool:

insane78
03-22-2006, 11:20 PM
I'm not sayin its not a real threat, but I think its just something that the Bush administration just kinda throws at us every now and then just to get Americans' minds off the Iraq war, if even for just a few seconds.