PDA

View Full Version : Locations

Angelakillsluts
02-08-2006, 04:08 PM
I've read about normal amounts you'd pay someone for shooting in their house per day (I think around 1000$ for a mansion or something I can't remember, could easily be more) but I have no idea about other places. For instance, the closed down mental asylum in Session 9. Anyone have any guesses how much (around) that would have cost them to shoot in per day?

urgeok
02-08-2006, 06:55 PM
it doesnt always cost does it ?
lower budget projects probably look for places that are free ...
they end up using the owner as an extra or something ...

Angelakillsluts
02-08-2006, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I know there is someone who is filming in a house here for free because the owner's daughter is starring in it. I was wondering more about bigger buildings though, is it the same kind of thing? Find the owner and try to convince them to let you shoot in it for cheap or even free?

urgeok
02-08-2006, 09:03 PM
sure, why not ..

i wish you'd have asked me this a couple of years ago when i was still talking to this guy :
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0003072/

i worked with his wife but havent kept in touch since they split up.

he did a lot of location work - but it was for fairly large budget films.
Sounds like most of the time they just had to kiss a lot of ass, make lots of promises ..
as far as large buildings go .. it depends on the management ...
they'll either say 'no - too much disruption', or yeah .. 'let me see the money', or 'sure - can i be the guy the zombies first victim'

a lot of people are cool about it ..

the biggest challenge for something like an old building is getting past the safety regulations .. no one wants anyone getting hurt in their building - then suing them for it ..

my sister works for a production company on the west coast ...
she worked with ian mckellen on his first movie after lord of the rings (Emile)... and he signed a lot of autographs as a way of keeping people happy (who's lives were being disrupted by the filming) .. so there's that too if the star is cool about that kind of thing..

tonemeister
02-09-2006, 03:42 AM
in NYC and i'm sure most other cities and states. if you have insurance then any place that is owned by the city is free to shoot in. that's any property at all that is owned by the city or state. but you must have at least a 1 million dollar basic liability insurance policy. other things like homes and store fronts, you can usually get for free from the owners or at least a tiny fee. you'd be surprised how many people really want to help and pitch in where they can.

urgeok
02-09-2006, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by tonemeister
in NYC and i'm sure most other cities and states. if you have insurance then any place that is owned by the city is free to shoot in. that's any property at all that is owned by the city or state. but you must have at least a 1 million dollar basic liability insurance policy. other things like homes and store fronts, you can usually get for free from the owners or at least a tiny fee. you'd be surprised how many people really want to help and pitch in where they can.

especially if they get a 'thanks to:' credit

ADOM
02-10-2006, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by tonemeister
I experienced the "pitch in and help" attitude a lot in NY and down here in FL, my friend on the West Coast does not seem to have the same luck. I know here we're a really a small market, so people get starried eyed over almost any movie, but in NYC you'd think they might get greedy, but I didn't really experience that.

Zero
02-11-2006, 07:08 AM
one of the old tricks is to make them a "producer" (the guy who supplied the bones and meat for NOLD became a "producer" in the credits

LilMissScareAll
06-08-2006, 08:54 AM
I've already got my locations planned out for filming my movie...all places where I can film for free. Places owned by my family. No really really big places though...I really needed a school but I guess I'll just use a church basement and make it a private Christian school instead so that I can do it for free, and because Kentucky's so weird about anything horror-related in school--they send kids to jail just for writing fictional horror stories in school...imagine what they'd do if somebody wanted to actually film a horror movie there. :rolleyes: And my grandparents own alot of land in a really secluded area...I plan on using my own house for my character's house, and family members' houses for other characters houses. So now I just need to finish my script...

Zero
06-08-2006, 04:32 PM
of course you could always marry a person who lives there - - - Geroge Romero apparently ended up marrying the daughter of the people who owned the house that was the principal location for _Jack's Wife_ (aka Hungry wives)

alkytrio666
06-27-2006, 03:00 PM
I don't remember exact details, but I think I heard somewhere that when filming the original Dawn of the Dead in 1978, the shopping mall allowed Romero to use it for free. The things was, however, he could only shoot after the mall closed, and had to be done shooting and have everything cleaned up by the time the mall opened the next morning.

So he got the location for free, but they only worked by night.

Or so I've heard.

MisterSadistro
06-28-2006, 10:40 PM
Make your executive producer earn his share of the backend and pay for it :D Here's where I'm shooting in Sept:
Set for Sadistro's Western (http://amoviemaker.com/studio.htm)
CK

The_Return
06-29-2006, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by MisterSadistro
Make your executive producer earn his share of the backend and pay for it :D Here's where I'm shooting in Sept:
Set for Sadistro's Western (http://amoviemaker.com/studio.htm)
CK

Spammer!!!

;)

MisterSadistro
07-01-2006, 01:20 PM
Spammer!!!
Au contrare ! I never mentioned the name of it, nor any of the B-horror actors I'm getting for it (even though it's not a horror film, but will have some horror elements and some excellent gore fx) :D
CK

OzLuke
07-06-2006, 10:53 PM
For mine and my brother's horror film, which we began shooting a few years ago now (details provided on the 'indie' board), we needed a large school building.

My brother Alix was attending college at the time and thought that his building, which was huge, and run-down and bordering on being derelict, would make the perfect location, so he called the dean of the school and set up a meeting.

Basically, we went in and told him how much we loved the building, and managed to negotiate use of the building after-hours, free of charge, so long as we paid for a security guard to be present at all times (approximately $3500 in total), kept the locations clean, and waived the right to sue them if anybody was injured.

Thankfully, the lack of liability insurance, which can kill your chances of making a low-budget film because it's so damn expensive, was thankfully never an issue, despite the constant running up and down stairs and occasional knife- and axe-weilding.

Zero
07-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by alkytrio666
I don't remember exact details, but I think I heard somewhere that when filming the original Dawn of the Dead in 1978, the shopping mall allowed Romero to use it for free. The things was, however, he could only shoot after the mall closed, and had to be done shooting and have everything cleaned up by the time the mall opened the next morning.

So he got the location for free, but they only worked by night.

Or so I've heard.

this is true - romero was friends with some of the principle investors who allowed them to shoot overnight between, as i recall, 11pm and 6am (when the mall was opened for old people to go walking around in - hilarious)

a mccuaig
07-17-2006, 08:53 PM
I'm writing a horror screenplay right now. I have noticed though, as I mention that to friends, or co-workers, I'm suprized how many people know someone who's into independent movies. Also, the internet helps alot. There is always a site that has other locals that are into movies as well. Befriending these people, these unselfish people, have given me new oppertunities. There are also a ton of people that will gladly let you shoot your film at thier location, you just have to make it sound damn important. Perhaps there are just alot of b-movie fanatics in seattle, but the support of others have been amazing!