PDA

View Full Version : Adaptations

HappyCamper
12-13-2003, 04:31 PM
Was wondering if anyone has ever written an adaptation of a horror novel...if you have, any feed back on the process would be great....was thinking of adaptating "I, Vampire" into a film.

avenger00soul
12-16-2003, 08:42 AM
Securing the rights would be the only good idea I have for you.

dmihatmttl
12-16-2003, 12:24 PM
Yeah, you *must* take care of that issue. The rights. Especially if you plan on doing anything with your screenplay, eventually -- selling it to Hollywood, whatever.

It won't be easy. And it probably won't be cheap. I adapted one of my favorite short stories ("The Ex," by William F. Nolan) a few years back just for fun -- mostly just to see if I could pull it off -- and when it turned out pretty cool I decided to shop it around.

No way could I afford what the author wanted, however. And he was even "giving me a break" since I was just a small-time, one-man operation.

Then again . . . you may encounter an entirely different scenario! I know that Stephen King has sold his short stories to indie filmmakers in the past for as low as a buck! You never know what the author will offer you . . . .

It could go either way. Who knows. But definitely know that you must secure the rights before you do *anything* with this project.

In any event, good luck with it, and have fun!

J.N.
http://members.tripod.com/~NEWMANATOR/index.html