PDA

View Full Version : Dead End...

Viddy
01-29-2006, 10:51 PM
Anyone seen it?
I have it, and it is kinda... blah.
It was low budget but still had a few good scares.

It wasnt enjoyable though, but watchable.

noctuary
01-30-2006, 07:23 AM
I thought it was okay. Pretty middle of the road, really. Stupid ending.

urgeok
01-30-2006, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by noctuary
I thought it was okay. Pretty middle of the road, really. Stupid ending.

well, the title DID warn you about that :D

Despare
01-31-2006, 06:24 PM
It wasn't that bad, some decent scenes with the wife. Nothing I'd buy really.

RavageRitual
01-31-2006, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by bedlam23
i thought it sucked

it did suck

LilMissScareAll
01-31-2006, 08:25 PM
I thought it was pretty good.

mothermold
02-01-2006, 10:57 PM
blah pretty much sums it up.it was redundant,drawn out and kept you waiting for plot twists that never happened.don't get me wrong the first 10 or 15 minutes were okay after which it abruptly turned south.

PR3SSUR3
02-02-2006, 07:50 AM
One of the best eerie horror films in ages.

(SPOILERS)

Nicely restrained black humour, some hysterically effective performances (especially from the wife when she loses it, and the brother), and nice use of the limited sets to convey the uncertainty of what is waiting in the ominous darkness.

The ending was a perfectly reasonable revelation, the only slight problem being the cliched representation of "death" - all black and sophisticated like - which maybe cheapened the message a little.

But overall upon reflection, most of the film being set in the void between life and death is very interesting.

Yellow Jacket
02-12-2006, 11:35 AM
I really enjoyed it! I'll admit, not the best it could've been, but I did kick back and enjoy the ride (no pun intended). And, it did have Lin Shaye in it. She can make any movie at least somewhat watchable. Even Boat Trip!

ADOM
02-12-2006, 02:09 PM
I thought it was a mediocre idea well executed on a low budget. It seemed like it was written to be shot with next to nothing, and it was. I wouldn't call it a must see, but it beats infomercials if you can't sleep.

Posher778
03-08-2006, 11:11 AM
I'm going to check this out soon, i don't mind stuff like this usually. I just rented wrong turn, which I know is gonna suck, but I still want to see it.

PR3SSUR3
03-11-2006, 09:21 AM
I like any film which completely surprises me with a twist.

The term "neat twist" might provoke disdain from more cynical viewers, but when they're as good as Haute Tension, Fight Club, Secret Window (maybe Chuck Palahniuk had read King's book?) and The Others then who cares? It's fun to need to rewind your brain and consider all that has gone before, even if it is just to seek out plot-holes and conveniences.

If only someone could show M Daytime Shayamalan how it's done.

Posher778
03-11-2006, 09:46 AM
Is dead end better than wrong turn?

tonemeister
03-11-2006, 09:53 AM
i'm waiting to see sin-jin smythe.....sounds like it's gonna be a winner.

http://www.pitofhorror.com/newdesign/promo/sinjin/sinjin_review.htm for more info

Despare
03-12-2006, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by PR3SSUR3
If only someone could show M Daytime Shayamalan how it's done.

Sixth Sense (and the other movies you mentioned) were far superior to Haute Tension as far as the twist goes. I also enjoy rewinding my brain and looking back but in HT so much of it didn't make sense and I ended up being very dissapointed in the ending. I did like the action and it was a good movie in my opinion but the ending was fairly weak.

urgeok
03-14-2006, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by PR3SSUR3
I like any film which completely surprises me with a twist.

thats just the thing a lot of people dont like .. they cant handle the change of direction once their wagon gets rolling.

i also dig the about face some movies can take :

From Dusk Til Dawn
Shallow Grave
Miracle Mile

did it for me ..

Despare
03-14-2006, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by urgeok
thats just the thing a lot of people dont like .. they cant handle the change of direction once their wagon gets rolling.

i also dig the about face some movies can take :

From Dusk Til Dawn
Shallow Grave
Miracle Mile

did it for me ..

I LOVED the way Dusk Til Dawn started out almost as a heist movie and then BANG you're hit with vampires. I love that movie.

Steve_Hutchison
03-16-2006, 10:03 PM
I actually loved this movie. It's one of my favorite. The first time I saw it, I felt like being told a campfire tale.

The_Return
04-08-2006, 01:48 PM
I thought it was really good. Here's my review from Last seen Movie:

Wow. I never thought that I'd be creeped out by someone singing Jingle Bells. This right here folks is a great, scary, intelligent horror flick. Ray Wise always does a great job, and this time he headed up a whole cast of above-average actors. The characters were pretty good, though I'll admit that Richard AKA "Comic Relief Jackass" got on my nerves pretty quick. The plot was very, very good...borrowed a bit from other movies, but overall it was pretty original. There were some very tense moments, and I will admit to being more than a bit freaked out near the end. The twist at the end wasn't too hard to see coming, but it was still very well done and leaves a lot up to your imagination. There was one thing that bothered me though. Films such as the original Amityville, Blair Witch Project, or even the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre profited from not showing the viewer everything they wanted to see. In those films, it was done very well and created a lot of tension. That doesn't work for this film though...at one point, they're all standing around something commenting on how disgusting it is. The camera is looking up at the family from the "thing"'s point of view while they all stare at it, not done well at all. That wasn't a huge problem though, it didn't happen too often. One thing that didn't bother me, but would bother a lot of people was the pacing. This movie is VERY slow in parts, however it needed to be. If you don't like slow movies, this might not be for you. Overall though, this is a very creepy and atmospheric movie that comes highly recommended by me. Check it out!

9/10

ShepisFan
04-20-2006, 09:20 AM
I didn't liked it, was too predictable, like Reeker. It had a couple of good scares but that was all.

The Silent Dead
05-12-2006, 12:57 PM
I really liked this movie, good story, few good scares, id watch it again!!!

adz_gamble
05-22-2006, 11:44 AM
It was supposed to be funny. It even says so on the box.

VampiricClown
05-22-2006, 12:42 PM
I actually liked this movie. This is one of only two movies that have ever really creeped me out. I'll post my full review on it in my thread later. But I'm with Return. 9/10

The_Return
05-27-2006, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by adz_gamble
It was supposed to be funny. It even says so on the box.

What region? My DVD doesnt say anything like that?

bloodrayne
10-15-2006, 09:10 AM
Some of the comments here have caused me to wonder if some people are confusing THIS movie with Dead End Road

Dead End is the one with the family road-trip at Christmas
Dead End (2003) (http://imdb.com/title/tt0308152/)

Dead End ROAD is the one with the 'Poe Killer'
Dead End ROAD (2004) (http://imdb.com/title/tt0439532/)

I absolutely LOVED Dead End...Even though the plot twist WAS predictable after the first few minutes...It was still pretty cool...

Favorite quote: "See?...I drew a picture of Brad...*points* There's his arm...and..."...I really don't EVER laugh out loud at a movie...THAT one caught me off guard :D

Dead End Road was okay...But, nothing that really stands out

pinkfloyd45769
10-15-2006, 07:20 PM
@Rayne, no matter how many times i watch that movie, i could just die when that part is on. Do you notice the look on her face? I think its a riot!

bloodrayne
10-15-2006, 09:56 PM
@Rayne, no matter how many times i watch that movie, i could just die when that part is on. Do you notice the look on her face? I think its a riot!HaHa...Same here...And Alex is always going around quoting that part, too :)