PDA

View Full Version : Rosemary's Baby

orangestar
11-24-2003, 05:54 PM
I just bought this out of the blue at FYE yesterday because it was $5.99 and It was like What the hell, Ill buy it. I LOVE IT! I normally wont watch a horror movie unless its gory but holy god in heaven, this is a unbelievably good movie. Maybe John Cassavetes isnt the only one who sold his soul to the devil. Its just so mysterious and creepy and when there is a score, its crazy good.

Any one elses thoughts on this?

avenger00soul
11-24-2003, 06:03 PM
Love this movie. Especially the Oriental guy at the end of the flick who continually praises Satan. Awesome flick. Roman Polanski is a damn fine filmmaker.

Arioch
11-24-2003, 07:05 PM
Ya this one was out there. I rented it a LOOOOONNG time ago not expecting much but was happily surprised, and for 5.99 who wouldnt?

avenger00soul
11-24-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Arioch
Ya this one was out there. I rented it a LOOOOONNG time ago not expecting much but was happily surprised, and for 5.99 who wouldnt?

Yeah, that's a damn good price. I paid 11.99 for mine.

juanhacko
11-24-2003, 07:31 PM
Loved the movie when It came out in 1968.
Bought my first house in 1969 and decorated it like the apartment.
Love the chicken guts.

Ryan_Zombie
12-07-2003, 08:09 AM
I'll agree with most everyone. I love this gem. Simply ingenious. The syle in wich it was filmed is hard to match. And don't you just love the shady characters, and the way they seem to pop up from nowhere? Ingenious.

iamthekill3r
12-07-2003, 09:51 AM
yeah that is one of the greatest horrors, it doesnt scare you with gore or killing. Its just so twisted and creepy. I loved it.

abbycomix
12-07-2003, 10:49 AM
This one and another movie based on an Ira Levin novel, "Stepford Wives" warns city girls against the dangers of getting married! It always seems the husbands are conspiring with creepy old neighbors against their poor wives! Yes, loved the movie and book!

dmihatmttl
12-07-2003, 11:36 AM
Wow -- this one's just $5.99 now? Very, very cool. I'll definitely be picking it up. Not that I wouldn't have before, I just never got around to it. ROSEMARY'S BABY is a classic, a fave of mine without a doubt. A damn near flawless film.

One of the creepiest lines in horror movie history, IMO: "He has his father's eyes."

Anybody seen Polanski's THE TENANT? I picked this one up in the $5.88 bin recently, just for the hell of it, but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet . . . .

James N.
http://members.tripod.com/~NEWMANATOR/index.html

juanhacko
12-07-2003, 11:51 AM
I enjoyed the comic part where Ruth Gordon offered Rosemary a cup of tea, Rosemary looked at her strangely, and Ruth Gordon said "it's just plain Lipton's dear."
Also the part at the beginning where thay decided the mother-to-be of the baby could just be a non-virgin--not necessarily a whore off of the streets.

Onikitty
12-10-2003, 10:27 AM
I honestly didn't like the movie because I was expecting it to be scary and it wasn't
but I'd by it for 5.99!

Arioch
12-10-2003, 09:47 PM
honestly didn't like the movie because I was expecting it to be scary and it wasn't

Kinda what i thought too, but it would have probably help if i HADN'T already seen the exorcist which was ALOT scarier and about alot of the same themes.

Ryan_Zombie
12-10-2003, 10:06 PM
I think alot of folks really don't get what the film was about....

It;s simply about the decent into insanity and paranoia. The Satanic symbolism was used as a crutch to justify what was happening in her life. Her baby being the antichrist was a commentary on abortion in the 60's and how prevalent it was to look at a baby as a monster and then destroy it by means of abortion. Again, this is where the Satanic symbolism came into play. All the shady characters were just fillers for Rosemary's imagination. Was she dreaming all the satanic crap? was it a sign that her baby was indeed evil? Who knows? I just made this up as I went along.

Sorry guys...I beg forgiveness.....

"Thank you sir...may I have another..."

avenger00soul
12-11-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Ryan_Zombie
I think alot of folks really don't get what the film was about....

It;s simply about the decent into insanity and paranoia.

It played the paranoia element very well. In fact, I was going to write an essay for film genre examining paranoia and this is one of the films I was going to choose (along with Braindead, The Thing, and Maniac Cop)

rikki
12-11-2003, 04:03 PM
I LOVE this movie. I know a lot of people didn't like it because it wasn't "scary," but whatever. This, for me, is one of the scariest movies I've ever seen. This and the Omen, and that's mostly because I think that my nephew is Damien. He actually answers to Damien when I call him that, too.

Ryan_Zombie
12-12-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by avenger00soul
It played the paranoia element very well. In fact, I was going to write an essay for film genre examining paranoia and this is one of the films I was going to choose (along with Braindead, The Thing, and Maniac Cop)

Great minds think alike!!~;)

SoUl SuRvIvOrS
12-14-2003, 12:39 AM
Loved it

ShamSham04
12-14-2003, 07:55 AM
This is my dad's favorite horror movie.

I got it for him on DVD at Blockbuster for only $7.99. I am so pumped right now too because they also have EVERY Friday The 13th movie there for only $7.99, including the uncut and theatrical versions of Jason Goes To Hell.

*Already Knows What I'm Gettin This Christmas*

Seeing-red
12-22-2003, 02:28 PM
haven't seen it yet but mum says its good. I was going to buy in but the owner of the store said I wasn't 18

bloodrayne
02-03-2004, 05:51 AM
Another "must own" Classic

Robert Neville
02-19-2004, 10:16 AM
The way Roman Polanski can make a Satanic Cult seem so normal makes this movie a classic. Just everyday folks waiting for the birth of the son of Satan. Damn fine cinema.

Shade
02-19-2004, 10:25 AM
This was one of the first movies my mom every made me watch when I was little. It is great though...of course...even when I was little it didn't scare me. It is classic though and freaky at that.

sleepaway
02-19-2004, 10:41 AM
What are people's thoughts on the sequel though?

Shade
02-19-2004, 10:48 AM
Honestly, I never bothered to watch the sequel. I've only ever heard bad things about it so I never put out the one dollar to rent the sucker...or wanted to waste my time for that matter >.>;... Is it worth watching.

mictlan
02-19-2004, 11:01 AM
The sequel is SOOOOO BAD. I probably saw it in 1984 or so, so my memories may be cloudy, but I believe Patty Duke Astin plays Rosemary. She and the baby who is sort of a sexy teenager are in Las Vegas... and maybe he's conflicted about being the Devil? Or maybe he's slowly figuring it out? I honestly don't remember too much, except for that overall impression of 'this sucks.'

bloodygurl02
02-20-2004, 03:58 PM
i didn't know it had a sequel. wahts it called??

mictlan
02-20-2004, 04:03 PM
'Whatever Happened to Rosemary's Baby?' was the title.

bloodygurl02
02-20-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by mictlan
'Whatever Happened to Rosemary's Baby?' was the title.

ok i think i did hear of that

Robert Neville
02-20-2004, 04:58 PM
Actually it's called "Look What's Happened To Rosemary's Baby" . You may be confused with the classic "Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?" And "Look" is not worth a look. It's a piece of shit.

orangestar
03-02-2004, 04:15 PM
That premise sounds kickass if done right. I loved the original. I always wondered how they told the kid that he was the Devils son (or was it Devil incarnate?)

Vodstok
03-11-2004, 04:36 AM
I dont mean to be the one nay-sayer in here, but i thought it sucked. SOrry, I just didnt care for it. I liked the Omen much much better. I have never understood the appeal of Roman Polansky anyway.

SFF
03-13-2004, 11:42 PM
I love this film. Roman Polansky's movies are always excellent, especialy in the case of "Repulsion."

William
03-13-2004, 11:57 PM
Unfortunately, I've never seen it...

Nightmarian
03-14-2004, 05:13 AM
Very great story, but I thought the movie lacked a bit of depth. I can't pinpoint the exact thing that bothered me and I haven't seen it in a while, but there was that little something missing in the movie that was bothering me.

I guess now I will have to find the DVD and watch it again because I won't be able to sleep again untill I put my finger onto it...lol

radio667
03-14-2004, 08:27 AM
lol - i Love that Movie :)

conductor31
03-15-2004, 04:57 PM
i'VE NEVER REALLY CARED FOR THAT MOVIE, I THINK IT TOOK TO LONG TO PORTRAY THE BEAST OR DEVIL BABY I LIKE A LITTLE MORE ACTION IN MY HORROR FILMS ........
Attack of the Killer Shrews , now this is a classic horror film that i think everyone can enjoy!

SpeakOfTheDevil
03-31-2004, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by bloodrayne
Surprised no one has mentioned it here...Another "must own" Classic

you dont know shit bitch!!!!!!!

MichaelMyers
04-01-2004, 03:34 PM
It's a great movie.

SOTD....calm down.

AriochTheFagBoy
04-01-2004, 09:19 PM
bwahahahahaha............

Cerberus
04-01-2004, 11:48 PM
I would rate this one about the same as the original Body Snatchers, which also is considered a classic

nine9
04-07-2004, 06:31 PM
Absolutely right Bloodrayne, this is a classic! We own it, and every true horror fan should. There was also another great Polanski movie about an apartment called the "Tenant". Have you seen this? It is really creepy, and similar in a way.

I think we are probably inthe same age range, so you may have caught it on TV sometime. They play it every once in a while.

Check it out if you can find it at a video store!

Darth Bane
04-07-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by bloodygurl02
ok i think i did hear of that

Hahahaha, how quick you are to agree with the masses.

bloodrayne
04-11-2004, 01:57 AM
Well...It isn't exactly one of my favorites...BUT...It is STILL considered a classic...While the tenant was equally good...it is not considered a classic horror movie...That's just the way it goes sometimes...I have to say that it was actually quite well done, considering the time period in which it was made

nine9
04-11-2004, 08:16 AM
Totally agree. I like Rosemarie's baby too, as a classic, but wouldn't be on a top ten list. Just a movie a true horror fan should have.

What are your favorites?

bloodrayne
04-11-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by nine9
What are your favorites? Honestly...I like so many horror movies, that I would have a difficult time actually considering any of them a favorite over any of the others...If I were to list the ones that I LIKE, I would be here ALL day...I was raised on horror movies, and I generally do not tend to care for any other genre...As such, like I said, "Way too many to list"...So far, none have ever stood out enough for me to say, "OMG..This is the greatest horror movie in the whole world, so UNLIKE any other"...For me that would sort of be like asking, "Which of your children is your favorite?"....:)

nine9
04-12-2004, 04:33 PM
Good answer.

I like the horror genre the best, and see them first, but I also like quirky festival flicks alot. Seen a lot of good ones lately. I really hate most romantic comedies, overly sentimental and sappy. I am not much of a comedy fan either, unless it is clever, and a little nasty.

All and all, my husband probably likes
more stereotypically girl movies than I do.

I do have a few horror favorites that stand out to me. I loved The Legend of Hell House, and recently was impressed by the Eye.

So many good ones!!!!!!!

Oh, and Session 9. You have probably seen these already!

alkytrio666
06-14-2005, 06:52 AM
Anyone else seen this movie? Very good, if you have the patience, which I know, sadly, some of you don't. I thought the ending was very effective.

urgeok
06-14-2005, 06:58 AM
yep, its a great example from one of my favorite periods of film .. 70's satanical films .. (conspiracy films)

(i know - it was late 60's - close enough)

i'm also a big fan of polanski ...

Elvis_Christ
06-14-2005, 07:03 AM
I liked this one. Haven't watched a hell of a lot of Polanski what are some of his good ones?

zwoti
06-14-2005, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by urgeok
yep, its a great example from one of my favorite periods of film .. 70's satanical films .. (conspiracy films)

(i know - it was late 60's - close enough)

i'm also a big fan of polanski ...

yep, very good movie

urgeok
06-14-2005, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Elvis_Christ
I liked this one. Haven't watched a hell of a lot of Polanski what are some of his good ones?

The Pianist (2002)
The Ninth Gate (1999)
Death and the Maiden (1994)
Bitter Moon (1992)
Frantic (1988)
Pirates (1986)
Tess (1979)
Locataire, Le (1976)
... aka The Tenant (USA)
Chinatown (1974)
What? (1972)
... aka Diary of Forbidden Dreams (USA: recut version)
The Tragedy of Macbeth (1971)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)
Cul-de-sac (1966)
Repulsion (1965)
Plus belles escroqueries du monde, Les (1964)
... aka The Beautiful Swindlers
Nóz w wodzie (1962)
... aka Knife in the Water (USA)

of these there are 4 i dont have...
and i dont know anything earlier than Knife in the Water

Fearless Vampire Killers is great, The Tenant is Great, Repulsion, Frantic, Ninth Gate.

i cant think of a bad one ..

arron wardlaw
06-14-2005, 10:02 AM
cant agree with you on the ninth gate even if i am a huge depp fan. Rosemarys baby was a terrifying film though, you just felt trapped when you were watching it, similiar to the wicker man with the mounting menace

tom-tom
06-15-2005, 12:27 AM
Rosemary's Baby is one of those movies that improves every time you watch it. For me, the best scene was the end when Rosemary is walking into the room and approching the black crib, knife in hand. It makes me laugh every time.
Great movie.

AUSTIN316426808
06-15-2005, 05:55 AM
The Pianist (2002)

Have I ever mentioned that I really really hate Adrian Brody....

anyway..Rosemary's Baby is a great film

urgeok
06-15-2005, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by AUSTIN316426808
Have I ever mentioned that I really really hate Adrian Brody....

anyway..Rosemary's Baby is a great film

why ?

i think he's a great actor .. i really liked him in Restaurant

(the village sucked for everyone in it)

AUSTIN316426808
06-15-2005, 06:11 AM
why ?

i think he's a great actor .. i really liked him in Restaurant

(the village sucked for everyone in it)

Don't get me wrong he's a great actor and I watch his films because for the most part they're good but there's just something about him I just don't like kinda like the thing you've got with Robin Williams.

slasherman
06-17-2005, 12:20 PM

The Ninth Gate (1999)

often underrated this one

dio
06-18-2005, 09:55 AM
Rosemary's baby is a classic of the classic's. One of Polanski great movie.

Vodstok
06-20-2005, 04:20 AM
I seem to be alone in my convictions. I dont like Polanski, and I dont care for Rosemary's Baby. I applaud him for making creepy, underthanded devil movies that rely more on subtlety, but i still dont luike him (on top of not liking his movies, he did drug and rape a 13 yr old....)

AngelaBaker
06-23-2005, 08:46 PM
not a fan of this one

liebesspiel
01-29-2006, 08:54 AM
I really think this movie it's pretty interesting. I can't wait to buy it. I also want to read the book.

Doc Faustus
01-29-2006, 08:00 PM
Levin's a very good writer. I think Boys from Brazil is a better book, though. Rosemary's Baby's quite good, but I have the same qualm with it I have with all of Polanski's movies; I think it's about fifteen to twenty minutes too long. His scenes feel really drawn out most of the time to the point that the whole movie feels exceptionally lengthy.

mikeywalsh
01-30-2006, 04:10 AM
'Rosemary's Baby' is an excellent film, as much for performances and anything else. I wasn't around at the time but I think it had a lot of resonance with mid-60s spiritual worries too but the best but is when Rosemary is thanking (I think) Ruth Gordon, saying how generous she is and Ruth Gordon says 'Nonsense, we're as selfish as the day is long.' and after raping Rosemary and incubating a baby beast within her I think I'm inclined to agree.

urgeok
01-30-2006, 05:19 AM
i really dig this movie too .. i love the whole 70's satanism conspiracy genre ... very gritty and i love the slow building pace.

Haunted
01-30-2006, 07:54 AM
It was a good film. I just don't dig on Mia Farrow. The 70's were the beginning of the Satanic Conspiracy mythos, so it made the movie juicier.

Refresh my memory... Which movie was first, Rosemary's Baby or The Omen? There's a definite theme of the coming of the "Antichrist." which we don't see too much of today.

Am trying to thing of the most recent "Antichrist" film I saw.

hammerfan
01-30-2006, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Haunted
It was a good film. I just don't dig on Mia Farrow. The 70's were the beginning of the Satanic Conspiracy mythos, so it made the movie juicier.

Refresh my memory... Which movie was first, Rosemary's Baby or The Omen? There's a definite theme of the coming of the "Antichrist." which we don't see too much of today.

I believe Rosemary's Baby was first.

urgeok
01-30-2006, 08:07 AM
these days films about the coming of the antichrist seems pretty redundant and tame.
nothing on film will match the horror of the daily news.
The antichrist is already here : people

alkytrio666
01-30-2006, 08:31 AM
Great movie. The atmosphere and realism is what scares here. Very good.

liebesspiel
01-30-2006, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Haunted

Rosemary's Baby was made in 1968 and The Omen in 1976.

Posher778
02-01-2006, 06:12 PM
i haven't seen it, i know that its a great classic and a very good story, but i've never much cared for the "we're all doomed" antichrist business. and it seems a little boring for me.

tachii
02-02-2006, 04:23 AM
great movie, bit too slow at times.

wasn't sharon tate murdered about the time this was released? (more or less the summer of '69, right?)

that must have come off as wonderful; polanski's wife discharged by the manson family about the time he releases a "satanic film"

i always thought it was kinda funny:D

liebesspiel
02-02-2006, 09:51 AM
I really love this movie's score. It's so beautiful.

hollywoodgothiq
02-09-2006, 10:46 AM
This is a movie I respect more than enjoy. You have to give Polanski credit for the subtle approach, slowly building to the climax, but I just don't find the journey that exciting, nor do I particularly feel the mounting tension. However, the dream sequence is great, and so is the ending.

The thing I don't understand is why so many people consider ROSEMARY'S BABY to be a masterpiece, even one of the top five horror films ever made. Yeah, it's good -- but that good?

For whatever reason, I prefer THE TENANT. The two films have a lot in common (I recently saw them on a double bill): Both are about people living in apartments who believe they are victims of a conspiracy. The main difference is how real the conspiracy is.

READ MORE HERE: http://www.hollywoodgothique.com/rosemarysbaby1968.html

tachii
02-11-2006, 07:39 PM
the ending to rosemary definately surprised the hell out of me the first time i saw it

urgeok
02-13-2006, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Posher778
i haven't seen it, i know that its a great classic and a very good story, but i've never much cared for the "we're all doomed" antichrist business. and it seems a little boring for me.

it's by no means a 'we're all doomed' antichrist movie ...

it was one womans horror ...

and she was a good choice to play a timid unsure conspiracy victim ..

it's a fine film.

Elvis_Christ
02-15-2006, 07:22 PM
Look What's Happened to Rosemary's Baby :rolleyes: I wish I had kept my eyes shut :p

PeaSoupintheye
02-17-2006, 04:38 AM
I think R.B is a classic, I loved Repulsion also but am yet to see the tenant...hmm next on my shopping list.

urgeok
02-17-2006, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by PeaSoupintheye
I think R.B is a classic, I loved Repulsion also but am yet to see the tenant...hmm next on my shopping list.

you shouldnt have to spend much - i keep finding it in discount bins ..never more than $6.99

lionels_mother
02-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Let's just say I'll never drink health drinks from some old bag...

tachii
03-25-2006, 07:31 PM
it's by no means a 'we're all doomed' antichrist movie ...

it was one womans horror ...

and she was a good choice to play a timid unsure conspiracy victim ..

it's a fine film.

a true life flower child
well acted though
definately fooled me

Giorgia
04-22-2006, 09:26 AM
I agree that Rosemary's Baby is a very good movie. It's chilling to know that Polansky's wife (pregnant) was killed by a group of satanists because of the movie...or so they say...

I haven't seen The Tentant by Polansky but I read the book and I thought it was one of the scariest novels I have ever read. I remember reading it until 5 in the morning until I was finished. I recommend it to anyone that likes horror literarure. The author is Roland Topor.

tachii
04-27-2006, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by Giorgia
It's chilling to know that Polansky's wife (pregnant) was killed

i've always found the irony morbidly funny :D
from what i hear they did everyone a favor, tate couldn't act for shit; ironically she will now be remembered forever due to something gruesome rather than talent.

GREENBILL
05-02-2006, 05:29 AM
Arguably, the best horror film ever made.....its up there in my top ten most definatly. This is a powerful film and i'd say its as well made as your gonna get. im still tossing a coin over rose....baby or the wickerman for top spot tho.

having said that, they wouldnt come in my top ten splatter and gore films list , purley cauz these aint but they'd top the top ten ov chiller/thriller. ya know what i mean....etc