PDA

View Full Version : Midnight Movies.

sabersword
12-31-2005, 02:49 PM
I am starting a new thred guys because I would like to talk about a couple of movies that I think fit in here. First one by Mario Bava. Im using Kill Baby Kill sence I have it in front of me. Acting, plot, and all that is beside the point here. What I was wondering was, do you guys like the way the sets are back lit on a lot of his movies?On KBK, he uses these grate old buildings that are back lit with at least four diffrent coulered lights. They gleem off the wet stones to produce this enteresting affect. Then mixed with fog, its kind of creepy. Also for pure shlock, Killer Clowns from outer space. I guess I like this one for the sheer adasaty.

RavageRitual
12-31-2005, 09:57 PM
My mind is telling me that this thread has no future....

sabersword
01-01-2006, 09:55 AM
Oh come on, this forum is about horror movies right? Not just about how gory they are, right? I am interested in how these things are made. If nobody else is, OK, no problem. But, I can at least post.

zomb5150
01-01-2006, 10:03 AM
Yes You can.:)

RavageRitual
01-01-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by sabersword
Oh come on, this forum is about horror movies right? Not just about how gory they are, right? I am interested in how these things are made. If nobody else is, OK, no problem. But, I can at least post.

Yea, Im sorry, I didnt want to upset you or anything. I was just saying. And yes you can post, all you want!!! POST ON!!! we need new blood that actually sticks around....

sabersword
01-02-2006, 09:06 AM
Ravage, no prob, not upset.

MisterSadistro
01-02-2006, 11:14 PM
I love the aesthetic look, feel and music to 'KBK. It tends to drag on though.... forever !
CK

no mulier
01-03-2006, 03:58 AM
Kill Baby Kill was actually quite atmospheric. I cannot remember the lighting as vividly as you describe it, but it was certainly reminiscent of Mask of Satan, which although shot in black and white was very aesthetic. I don't know whether they were shot on location, but compositions involving ruins are always appealing to me, visually.

sabersword
01-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Ya, it seemes like the Italians have a thing for lights where none belong. Ferinstance. In the gates of hell, you get these long shots in the background that can only be described as flood lights. Sort of whiteish blue where none should exist, and when the living dead shambel past, it creates this cool effect. I love this kind of crap, it really enhances the seen. If any of you remeber Blood Feast,shot in Florida, black and white, by the way, the black background was ultra black. Hardly what I would call mood inhancing.

urgeok
01-12-2006, 09:47 AM
i think the 3 most important components of a film (besides a competant director and half decent actors) is lighting, sound and of course - editing.

lighting is HUGE. I dont mind innapropriate lighting if it creates a cool mood or atmosphere.

When you look at straight to video releases they almost always use this shitty green or yellow backlighting .. i have no idea why ...

I suspect it's due to not having the proper equipment to light a shot so they missguidedly use these horrible colours to provide some kind of effect other than shadows on bare walls.

it doesnt work. (hear that, Richard Band and you Full Moon assholes !)

yeah the italians are masters at lighting and colours .. i think they come by it honestly ...look at the rich history of art in that country.

and for a really nice example check Argento's Deep Red

mothermold
01-14-2006, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by sabersword
Also for pure shlock, Killer Clowns from outer space. I guess I like this one for the sheer adasaty.

the chiodo brother's clown designs alone make this film(for me anyway)worth owning.

sabersword
01-14-2006, 09:11 AM
Ya, I am scared of clowns anyway so, while Killer Klowns is not really scary it did make me squerm on a viceral level. Clown effects were creepy as hell. Never trust anyone that smiles all of the time!

Zero
01-14-2006, 09:22 AM
KKFOS was really cool - i loved where the shadow dinosaur eats the people

VampiricClown
01-19-2006, 06:45 PM
I really want to see Killer Klowns, but I can't find it for rent and am not sure that I want to fork over 15 bucks for it not knowing if I'd really like it. Any suggestions?

sabersword
01-19-2006, 07:00 PM
OK VC, tell you what. Send me an email, and Ill ship you a copy.

Buffy_101
01-28-2006, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by VampiricClown
I really want to see Killer Klowns, but I can't find it for rent and am not sure that I want to fork over 15 bucks for it not knowing if I'd really like it. Any suggestions?

Well if your from Canada, its on the scream channel alot.

VampiricClown
01-30-2006, 11:08 AM
Thanks to SaberSword, I finally saw Killer Klowns From Outer Space. This movie rules! A must see. It's corny in some places yeah, but how can you not like it???