PDA

View Full Version : Update on my next movie: there isn't one

The STE
12-29-2005, 09:44 PM
Yeah, on the off chance any of you remember me mentioning the next movie I've been writing: it's on indefinate hiatus.
I sat down to write, and thought about how I had to get the script done so I could call places about filming locations, get prices, raise money, get the cast and crew there, keep them there, find out what is included with the rental of whatever building I rent out, build whatever furnature or props that aren't included, and a dozen other things, every single one of which would have to be done by me personally, with no steady income, and on top of school and working at home, and before the two people with whom I promised to make the movie graduate and go off to college in wherever-the-fuck. In short, I need to delegate these things, but nobody to whom I can delegate them. The last movie, I was fine doing it like this because I could make it with what I already had. But I'm trying to make a REAL movie (for lack of a better term), and I just don't have the time, money, resources, or energy to do half the things I need to do. So I've given up on the delusion that I'll be able to do this in the timeframe that I had wanted to do it.
:( :mad:

MisterSadistro
12-30-2005, 01:03 AM
The only thing that eventually limits you as a filmmaker is your imagination. You can get by without whatever you "need" if you put your mind to it. Think about it: you are telling a story you want to trick the viewer into believing. You might need to reach deeper into the bag of tricks sometimes to make it happen, but that rule never changes. PM me with some of the problem scenes so I can try to offer some solutions since I hate hearing "I give up".
CK

AmericanManiac
12-30-2005, 04:37 PM
I would be glad to help you out with whatever you need, ask and you shall receive. Check out this book called $30 film school there is a section on how to raise money/grants. Good book also !

The STE
12-30-2005, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by MisterSadistro
The only thing that eventually limits you as a filmmaker is your imagination. You can get by without whatever you "need" if you put your mind to it. Think about it: you are telling a story you want to trick the viewer into believing. You might need to reach deeper into the bag of tricks sometimes to make it happen, but that rule never changes. PM me with some of the problem scenes so I can try to offer some solutions since I hate hearing "I give up".
CK

the whole thing takes place in a fast food restaurant. I've done 0 budget movies that were good (the last one I worked on, for example). Money is just part of the problem: there's time, too. This isn't going to be something I can get done filming in a week, and a week is probably all I'd have.
I'm not giving up, I'm facing reality. I COULD do the movie, but I'd like to not fail classes and I can't expect anybody to work on it when they're out at college. There's summer, but one of the main people will be going cross country during the summer.
Trust me, if there were any way I could get this done I would. I spent 6 months trying to get my last movie filmed, and that finally got done, I'd be more than willing to put the same effort into this movie and moreso, but I've got too much going on and not enough time to do all of it. And, as I said, I would have to do ALL of it.

MisterSadistro
12-31-2005, 01:36 AM
'Eraserhead' took over 6 years to make.
http://www.anarchistblackcross.org/images/library/images/by_any_means.jpg
I hate to sound like a shoe commercial, but just do it.
CK

The STE
12-31-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by MisterSadistro
'Eraserhead' took over 6 years to make.
http://www.anarchistblackcross.org/images/library/images/by_any_means.jpg
I hate to sound like a shoe commercial, but just do it.
CK

and if I had six years then I'd make the movie. But I've got until summer 2006, that's when one of the two people with whom I promised I'd do the movie will no longer be available, and her and the 2nd person will graduate and move who-knows-where to college, which would mean it'll be insanely difficult for me to get ahold of them in any sort of capacity that would be useful for the movie.

cheebacheeba
12-31-2005, 12:46 PM
You should look for alternate solutions as hard as you're looking for those excuses...Clearly these peoples priorities have changed - they seem to have moved on, so, work out a way to do it without em, or dance with a rubber chicken like a chicken dancin' failure.

The STE
12-31-2005, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by cheebacheeba
You should look for alternate solutions as hard as you're looking for those excuses...Clearly these peoples priorities have changed - they seem to have moved on, so, work out a way to do it without em, or dance with a rubber chicken like a chicken dancin' failure.

I'm not giving excuses and I'm not saying I'll never do the movie. I plan to continue making movies, and it makes no sense to have this script (since I plan on finishing it) and not do it. I'm more disheartened by the fact that I won't be able to do it with the people with whom I promised I would (one of them fricken wrote the one-act play with me, which is what I'm adapting into the screenplay) than anything. We'd talked about doing this movie together since before the play script was finished, and now in all likelihood that's not gonna work. But I'll still do the movie eventually. Hence: "indefinate hiatus"

cheebacheeba
01-01-2006, 01:40 AM
I see...my apologies, I didn't consider the overall situation. Must be rather dissapointing indeed.

MisterSadistro
01-01-2006, 10:26 PM
There is always "later". I know. Keep at it. Worse comes to worse, you'll be better at doing it when the time comes. I'll paraphrase Kurosawa when getting his life time achievement award: "Film is always a learning experience and I think I'm finally starting to understand it." He died soon afterwards, but that's not the point LOL. If I knew half as much as I did when I started as I do now, I'd be much better at. Of course it bothers me now about how much I don't know that I will in another year or so. Bottom line: stick to it, make another movie int the mean time, learn, grow as a filmmaker and have a good time while doing it.
CK

The STE
01-02-2006, 08:28 PM
I've pretty much gone back to editing music videos (AMVs, for example) so's to get practice with the software, since I haven't used it nearly enough. Though I may do a weird experimental movie sometime this year

cheebacheeba
01-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Though I may do a weird experimental movie sometime this year
Peepee micro-cam?

The STE
01-03-2006, 06:06 PM
no, more a live-action version of some Salad-Fingers type stuff

GorePhobia
02-11-2006, 12:15 PM
I've been planning on doing my full length since summer of 04 and it is now the begining of 06 and its slated for summer of 06 and I doubt I will even do it. I have yet to go to film school because money is tight, I don't have the money to make a film right now, and its just hard. So I understand where your coming from Sam.

ADOM
02-12-2006, 02:16 PM
I know where you're coming from. I have a feature I keep putting off in favor of things I can do more justice to at present. Of course, I understand what CK is saying too. I have two actresses who MUST be in one of the shorts I'm shooting for this year's collection and one is going to Albania and the other LA, so I had to completely change the year's schedule, move this short up 6 months and push two others back to make it work. It seemed impossible and I have had to change my vision a bit, but the story is going to be told and I think I have actually come up with one or two things I like better. I never would have thought of them if not forced into a corner.

50BCPRODUCTIONS
02-14-2006, 05:44 AM
It is tough to get all the right ingrediants together.
I have made a feature length as well as a short in the past 2 years while holding down a 9-5 and raising a family (I got 4 kids) and its hard to do.
What was the basic premise of your project?
Dont want specific details,but Zombie?Slasher?
Can it be done without the others involved?
Sorry to hear you have to put your project on hold.
Wish you the best.