PDA

View Full Version : The Walking Dead

noctuary
12-18-2005, 05:35 AM
A friend of mine just turned me on to this amazing zombie comic, so I wanted to see if anyone else here had read it. It's a zombie/apocalypse story very much in the vein of Romero's zombie films, centered around the adventures of an cop named Rick as he tries to protect his family and make his way in the new world. Stark yet beautiful black and white art, gloomy atmosphere, lots of tension and more than a little gore make this a comic to watch out for. If you haven't read it yet, check it out!

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm pimping this... 'cause I'm not. I just wanted to share a kick-ass comic with anyone who may be interested.

RavageRitual
12-18-2005, 06:32 AM
Thanks, Ill check it out.

Zero
12-18-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by noctuary
A friend of mine just turned me on to this amazing zombie comic, so I wanted to see if anyone else here had read it. It's a zombie/apocalypse story very much in the vein of Romero's zombie films, centered around the adventures of an cop named Rick as he tries to protect his family and make his way in the new world. Stark yet beautiful black and white art, gloomy atmosphere, lots of tension and more than a little gore make this a comic to watch out for. If you haven't read it yet, check it out!

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm pimping this... 'cause I'm not. I just wanted to share a kick-ass comic with anyone who may be interested.

sounds cool - i remember a good zombie comic by Dark Horse, but can't remember the title - something like Dead Planet or something. . but this sounds cool

cheebacheeba
12-24-2005, 11:45 AM
I've read all up to the most recent issue.
Pure excellence...I consider this the definative zombie holocaust comic experience, plays out like a film, with real, fleshed out characters that go through all kinds of crazy just to survive...very character based - in some issues, there aren't even any zombies, which I think works brilliantly to establish a better storyline, each character confronting both the light, and darkness within themselves in their crazy world. Very nice art, Great sombre feel to the whole thing...I don't know what more to say...read it, it's fucking awesome.

The writer, ROBERT KIRKMAN is fast becoming one of my favourites.
He also does some excellent work on a superhero "kinda" title called "Invincible" (Also from Image), in the same universe as his newer title "capes"...both are VERY funny, and are an brilliant mixture of comedy and action.
These are only two more among many things he's worked on...I think he's comparable to Kevin Smith in terms of dialogue, and attention to storyline development and detail. Not to mention, the guy's a hardcore zombie fan to boot - this much is evident the moment you pick up the walking dead #1.

I'd suggest both the series, and the writer to anyone.

mothermold
01-14-2006, 12:39 AM
is this an Image title?is there a graphic novel?

cheebacheeba
01-14-2006, 01:09 AM
Yes it's image, and yes, there's a few trade paperbacks out.

mothermold
01-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by cheebacheeba
Yes it's image, and yes, there's a few trade paperbacks out.

thanx.

DarkwingMantis
01-21-2006, 03:38 PM
Finally got to read the 3rd TPB. The comic shops in my area dont carry them and I dont get a chance to get to Indy to often. But MAN OH MAN!!! i love that they are more character oriented than just gore. This title will last ..... I Hope

lovecraft
02-06-2006, 05:23 PM
This is a good book to pick up. I don't buy the monthlies, I wait for the trade to come out.
The zombies sometimes take a back seat to the characters, which is fine, but when the zombies come to the forefront, I have to say it is pretty tense.

Also, a writer by the name of Warren Ellis just came out with a comic called BlackGas. It seems to be a sort of zombie comic. It is a little early to tell but it has potential.

Zero
02-11-2006, 07:16 AM
does anyone remember the name of the darkhorse miniseries about zombies returning?

i remember it started with a semi-cheezy adventure story (a la Hellboy) of an old professor and his assistants fighting some demonic force and then in the end we find out they failed (which was a pretty cool moment) and that the curse was fulfilled and the dead were rising - then there were a series of short one-issue or mini-series books from various writers about living in a world of the undead. . . help?

cheebacheeba
02-11-2006, 07:18 AM
Zombie World? There's been a few miniseries out of that...
Grave Grrls, maybe? The original walking dead miniseries by Jim somerville? I dunno really...

Zero
02-11-2006, 07:33 AM
Zombie World? There's been a few miniseries out of that...
Grave Grrls, maybe? The original walking dead miniseries by Jim somerville? I dunno really...

googled it and you are correct - Zombie World: Champion of the Worms was the first.

thanks!

Sick_As_Fuck
02-13-2006, 11:09 PM
I've heard nothing but great stuff about this series. Can anyone tell me how many issues are already out? I'm definitely gonna buy each and every one of 'em next month.

cheebacheeba
02-13-2006, 11:16 PM
I just got through issue #25.
#26 should be out soon if it isn't already.

Preacher
03-04-2006, 06:13 AM
S'funny this thread has come up. I've never really been into comics before (except for reading Aarons stuff at www.nightmareworld.com) which is fuckin ace.

So a few weeks ago, I walked past this comic shop, decided to bite the bullet and go in. I was askin the guy if he had any good horror comics and the first one he suggested was the walking dead. Read the first two thicker books (graphic novels) and they're so cool.

Would definately recommend these to anyone.

Px

Zero
03-07-2006, 08:33 AM
Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun) -Eddie Izzard.

that's funny - i just noticed that. . . now i'm going to be packing heat!!

The_Return
03-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Zero
that's funny - i just noticed that. . . now i'm going to be packing heat!!

Im...Im innocent I tell ya! No Zero, put that thing away! No Zero! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

mothermold
03-14-2006, 03:37 PM
I've finally got round to check this series out.I bought the forth TBP and have the first three on order,this should take a few days and I'll be looking forward to it.

In the meantime I'll have to resist the urge to read the 4th one...but the art work looks good(sorta of a Frank Miller feel to it).

Sick_As_Fuck
04-24-2006, 07:52 PM
Can anyone recommend an online store where I can order back issues? Or would Ebay be my best bet?

noctuary
04-25-2006, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by Sick_As_Fuck
Can anyone recommend an online store where I can order back issues? Or would Ebay be my best bet?
I'd just pick up the GNs if you want to catch up on the story so far. If you absolutely must have single issues, Ebay might be the only way. I tried to look for some back issues for ya, but no dice at any of my usual places.

urgeok
04-25-2006, 05:22 AM
i saw a boxed hardcover version of this on the weekend at a comic -con ... bugger was going for 100$ !!!

Sick_As_Fuck
04-25-2006, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by noctuary
I'd just pick up the GNs if you want to catch up on the story so far. If you absolutely must have single issues, Ebay might be the only way. I tried to look for some back issues for ya, but no dice at any of my usual places.

Thanks for the help. I read somewhere else that there were side-stories in the comics that weren't included in the novels, but I guess they aren't that important.

Elvis_Christ
06-10-2006, 03:27 AM
Ordered a trade paperback of this and I'm looking foward to reading it.

mothermold
06-11-2006, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Elvis_Christ
Ordered a trade paperback of this and I'm looking foward to reading it.

I think it's up to #5 on the TPB's by now(once you start one you'll want 'em all).It's a damn fine read,I mean really good.:cool:

cheebacheeba
06-11-2006, 10:40 PM
Just got done with #28....whoah...fucked up.

Elvis_Christ
06-18-2006, 06:29 PM
TPB #1 arrived today.... Gonna go read it. Looks great.

Moses
06-20-2006, 10:31 PM
wow i already ranted about this comic my first blog. {i had no idea there was a comic forum} yes i agree the walking dead is the best zombie comic ever! FUCKING BRILIANT!

Elvis_Christ
06-22-2006, 07:06 PM
Read the first TPB twice now. Coolest comic I've read in ages. Great art/story and characters..... gonna have to check out the rest now cuz I'm hooked.

cheebacheeba
06-23-2006, 01:21 AM
For people enjoying the walking dead, I've just had a look at a few other zombie titles I thought I'd reccomend (All out this year):

*Zombie Highway: Starts off a little like the beggining of "from dusk til dawn", action/horror title, slightly more humourous than the walking dead...not the best title out of the three I'm going to mention, but it's a good read with some GREAT zombies.

*Zombies! Feast - A transport busload of convicts breaks down outside a small town, which is of course infested by zombies...Two armed guards and 20 or so prisoners who are all chained to eachother...this one's a bit intense, and has some great looking zombies.

*Fear the Dead - A zombie survivors Journal.
This is one of the more interesting zombie titles I've come across...it's not exactly an comic book story as such...it's an "email" sent from the protagonist, with attatched pictures of a zombie incident. I'm not sure if it's ongoing but it's definately worth a look. Each page is done by a different artist, and I shit you not, some of the fucking BEST art I've ever seen from a few of these guys. Very nice concept, and I'll be looking out for many more issues (hopefully).

...I don't think they come that close to the greatness and excellent ongoing storyline of the walking dead, but for fans of the genre, they're a lot better than SOME of the attempted zombie comics I've seen. Try your retailer, dc++ or soulseek to track them down.

(Tip - If you're looking to download comics, type "cbr" at the end of your search, cbr is the most popular extention for files of this type nowdays, and your search attempts will turn up a lot more results this way.)

Also...rumour has it that Kirkman may be releasing a second "walking dead" comic that will work as a sequal AND sister title to the first ongoing series...although this could just be speculation.

mothermold
06-25-2006, 10:27 PM
For people enjoying the walking dead, I've just had a look at a few other zombie titles I thought I'd reccomend (All out this year):

*Zombie Highway: Starts off a little like the beggining of "from dusk til dawn", action/horror title, slightly more humourous than the walking dead...not the best title out of the three I'm going to mention, but it's a good read with some GREAT zombies.

*Zombies! Feast - A transport busload of convicts breaks down outside a small town, which is of course infested by zombies...Two armed guards and 20 or so prisoners who are all chained to eachother...this one's a bit intense, and has some great looking zombies.

*Fear the Dead - A zombie survivors Journal.
This is one of the more interesting zombie titles I've come across...it's not exactly an comic book story as such...it's an "email" sent from the protagonist, with attatched pictures of a zombie incident. I'm not sure if it's ongoing but it's definately worth a look. Each page is done by a different artist, and I shit you not, some of the fucking BEST art I've ever seen from a few of these guys. Very nice concept, and I'll be looking out for many more issues (hopefully).

...I don't think they come that close to the greatness and excellent ongoing storyline of the walking dead, but for fans of the genre, they're a lot better than SOME of the attempted zombie comics I've seen. Try your retailer, dc++ or soulseek to track them down.

(Tip - If you're looking to download comics, type "cbr" at the end of your search, cbr is the most popular extention for files of this type nowdays, and your search attempts will turn up a lot more results this way.)

Also...rumour has it that Kirkman may be releasing a second "walking dead" comic that will work as a sequal AND sister title to the first ongoing series...although this could just be speculation.

Seeing as you got me hooked on "The Walking Dead" I will certainly give these titles a look aswell.Thanks for the suggestions Cheeb.

:)

Sick_As_Fuck
07-05-2006, 09:34 PM
Where'd y'all order the first TPB of The Walking Dead from? Or did y'all Ebay it?

mothermold
07-05-2006, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Sick_As_Fuck
Where'd y'all order the first TPB of The Walking Dead from? Or did y'all Ebay it?

I ordered mine through a local book store at the time,but ebay should be just aswell.

Violent Messiah
07-10-2006, 02:41 PM
The Walking Dead is godly! My brother was at a comic con, one of those small weekend deals, right? He's looking through some dudes bargin bin and he runs across The Walking Dead 1-24 going for the insane steal of a price of 2 for a dollar!

A good book at full price is a great thing, but a cheap ass good book is a mentally orgasmic. :D