PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone think new horror will get good again?

jmac5000
11-27-2005, 10:57 PM
Hello,

OK, so look, I'm going to qualify this statement with the realization that my first attempt at producing and directing a horror feature was not 100% succesful. It has some plot holes, some mediocre scenes, and overall is decent but not amazing.

That said, I now bring an important question:

Where have all the good horror films gone? Will the "Hollywood Establishment" ever again embrace serious horror, or does it think we're satisfied with a few nuggets here and there like Devil's Rejects or Exorcism of Emily Rose?

Arg! 28 Days Later was some good serious horror. Cabin Fever was more of a gross-out film, but still good. I'll even give some props to Final Destination.

But for the most part, we're pretty screwed here. I understand that money is the reason for the mainstay of Hollywood Horror, the cute "faux-horror" titles like Scream 6 and House of Wax as well as the Numerous Bad Remakes.

I'm just wondering if anyone actually thinks we'll ever have a resurgence of great horror.

Cheers...

Jim

pinkfloyd45769
11-28-2005, 07:48 PM
I think that there are some good ones now.

ADOM
11-28-2005, 10:47 PM
I'm just hoping for more monster horror. Werewolves, mummies, mutants, killer apes, angry aliens, vengeful demons, anything with teeth. If Hollywood won't make them well, I'll do it poorly.

I'm psyched about KONG, but I want SCARY monsters lurking in the dark and tearing people apart on a one to one basis.

noctuary
11-29-2005, 09:25 AM
I understand that if you only looked at the sad state of Hollywood horror, you might think the genre is dying. But what you may not realize, or just failed to mention, is that horror is still extremely vital. Independent filmmakers in the West are keeping it alive, but in my opinion, the best work nowadays is coming from Korea and Japan. As for your question about a resurgence of horror, probably not from the mainstream. Mainstream producers are far too concerned with the bottom line to produce anything that may prove too controversial.

The_Return
11-29-2005, 02:24 PM
I think that within 10-20 years, GOOD horror will once again be profitable, and we will experiance a sort of Hollywood horror renaissance.

jmac5000
11-29-2005, 02:39 PM
Well, I certainly hope so. Although, sometimes a resurgence of genre is not so good: Anyone up for a remake of "Three Men and a Baby?"

-Jim

she_died
12-12-2005, 08:36 AM
I think with digital video technology getting better and cheaper all the time, it's putting cameras in the hands of a lot more people. This obviously means ther'ell be a lot more shit out there, but there will also be a lot more spontaneous, experimental, low budget stuff from horror buffs who may not be ambitious enough to become pro filmmakers, but have enough passion and love of horror to make something original and cool

VampiricClown
12-12-2005, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by ADOM
I'm just hoping for more monster horror. Werewolves, mummies, mutants, killer apes, angry aliens, vengeful demons, anything with teeth.

I miss these alot. These were the original and the best. If anyones listening, please start making these again.:(

she_died
12-12-2005, 08:55 AM
i find there are a lot that go straight to video (ie. sasquatch hunters), but not much that's done with a real love for the genre. i'm also looking forward to kong for that reason

MisterSadistro
12-12-2005, 12:39 PM
I think with digital video technology getting better and cheaper all the time, it's putting cameras in the hands of a lot more people. This obviously means ther'ell be a lot more shit out there, but there will also be a lot more spontaneous, experimental, low budget stuff from horror buffs who may not be ambitious enough to become pro filmmakers, but have enough passion and love of horror to make something original and cool

Finally ! Another voice of reason joins the ranks. I rant about this on every forum I'm a member. Welcome to the club. You can sit by me any time. Pay no attention to any gossip about me being cruel to spammers and their ilk around here (I don't know where that idea comes from) :D
CK

PR3SSUR3
12-15-2005, 08:12 AM
more spontaneous, experimental, low budget stuff from horror buffs who may not be ambitious enough to become pro filmmakers, but have enough passion and love of horror to make something original and cool

This doesn't sound like a probable mixture - "horror buffs" don't seem to have a lot on offer other than glib opinions and irrelevant facts and figures, and are more likely to want to make the next sorry George Romero derivative/homage/ripoff than to consider other avenues.

Most amature experimental efforts appear self-conciously handled, and still signify nothing at the end.

knife_fight
12-15-2005, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by jmac5000
Well, I certainly hope so. Although, sometimes a resurgence of genre is not so good: Anyone up for a remake of "Three Men and a Baby?"

with or without ghost?

she_died
12-15-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by PR3SSUR3
This doesn't sound like a probable mixture - "horror buffs" don't seem to have a lot on offer other than glib opinions and irrelevant facts and figures, and are more likely to want to make the next sorry George Romero derivative/homage/ripoff than to consider other avenues.

Most amature experimental efforts appear self-conciously handled, and still signify nothing at the end.

Okay, that's a worthy opinion. I was unclear in my argument. My point is that there is more access to the means of making movies. The digital medium has barely been explored. I am certain there is still something new to say with horror. Times change, and so do fears.

Zero
12-17-2005, 02:33 PM
horror will never get good - it will stay EVIL!

Zero
12-19-2005, 07:18 AM
i actually think the best horror is overseas at the moment - americans are too scared of eveyrthing to want real horror at the moment

AmericanManiac
12-29-2005, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by noctuary
Mainstream producers are far too concerned with the bottom line to produce anything that may prove too controversial.
I love movies that are controversial, hell I like anyone who is controversial. Don't you think that is a way to get people to view your stuff is make it the most offending to anyone you can? That just my point of view.

noctuary
12-31-2005, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by AmericanManiac
I love movies that are controversial, hell I like anyone who is controversial. Don't you think that is a way to get people to view your stuff is make it the most offending to anyone you can? That just my point of view.
I do agree, actually. It's just too bad that there are so few willing to take the risk in this age of bland, family-friendly entertainment.

TheEvilshed
01-23-2006, 04:19 AM
I feel that if something is too 'scary' the universal amount of money you will make will be at a minimum; hence all these fat cat mainstream hunk o crud horror films keep coming out.
Ben was a good boy, until one night on Halloween he realized something, he was Satan. Insert crappy Cgi-action sequence.
‘well pop glad we got over that one’ ‘yes son ,but for how long….’ Make a sequel, the end.

RavageRitual
01-23-2006, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by AmericanManiac

Good point of view. I agree w/ you on many of your statements.

TheEvilshed
01-23-2006, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by RavageRitual
Good point of view. I agree w/ you on many of your statements.

Thats a bit of an ass kiss.
O mighty leader bring fourth your perspective to me I am but a mere dandelion and you are the swift boot ,stamping some common sense into me.
Just kiddin.