PDA

View Full Version : The Skeleton Key (May contain spoilers)

bwind22
11-15-2005, 10:23 PM
So whos' seen it? I thought it was pretty decent, but I loved the non-Hollywood, non-happy ending. As the movie was going on, I was thinking it pretty average, but that ending kicked it up a few notches in my book. What'd everyone else think?

novakru
11-16-2005, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by bwind22
So whos' seen it? I thought it was pretty decent, but I loved the non-Hollywood, non-happy ending. As the movie was going on, I was thinking it pretty average, but that ending kicked it up a few notches in my book. What'd everyone else think?

*saw it,enjoyed it...and like you-was not expecting much and was surprised it was good....I liked the twist at the end as well,really didn't expect that.

The_Return
11-16-2005, 06:10 AM
One of the better recent atempts from Hollywood. It wasnt amazing or anything, but certainly better than most of the crap that hits theatres nowadays. The ending was good/unexpected, and it reminded me to some extent of Angel Heart. Not a whole lot, but the same kind of concept.

6.5/10

novakru
11-16-2005, 06:14 AM
There is something infinitely appealing about voodoo.
Maybe Hollywood needs to take note.
Angel Heart was a Great Movie.

The_Return
11-16-2005, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by novakru
There is something infinitely appealing about voodoo.
Maybe Hollywood needs to take note.
Angel Heart was a Great Movie.

I agree, but the book absolutly puts it to shame. Amazing movie, even better book.

bwind22
11-16-2005, 06:38 PM
Angel Heart is a voodoo movie?

I may have to check that one out.... I liked this Skeleton Key and I LOVE Serpent and the Rainbow.

ItsAlive75
11-16-2005, 07:22 PM
I LOVE Serpent and the Rainbow.

Agreed, Bill Pullman actually acted in that movie.

bwind22
11-16-2005, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by ItsAlive75
Agreed, Bill Pullman actually acted in that movie.

I wonder how fact based that one is... It says it's based on a true story but so does Amityville and TCM and we all know how factful those two are.... But fot some reason this one strikes me as though it actually could be pretty close to the real story. Anyone know?

novakru
11-17-2005, 04:46 AM
There was a real professor who did intensive research, for a University, into a drug that causes paralysis and low vital signs....aka-zombie state.
If I find out more-I'll post it.

taylorsmommy
11-17-2005, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by novakru
There was a real professor who did intensive research, for a University, into a drug that causes paralysis and low vital signs....aka-zombie state.
If I find out more-I'll post it.

If you go to howstuffworks.com, look for "Supernatural", click on "More", you'll find a whole diatribe on zombies. I'm too lazy to read through the whole thing. I know it talked about puffer fish and some kind of frog.

novakru
11-17-2005, 05:43 AM
Puffer fish cause a 'death-like state'-good call Tayorsmommy.

@bwind,
The person you should research is Wade Davis.
http://www.wade-davis.com/

Soloman Kane
11-17-2005, 08:48 AM
The Serpent & The Rainbow.. A really odd movie that was

psiren
11-17-2005, 10:32 AM
haven't seen that in years! must watch it again sometime.

XFeaRX
11-18-2005, 01:36 PM
Angel Heart is a voodoo movie?

I may have to check that one out.... I liked this Skeleton Key and I LOVE Serpent and the Rainbow.

lol, who doesnt love The Serpent and The Rainbow (some random idiot will emerge and claim they do soon enough)?

eastsidemotel6
12-01-2005, 02:04 AM
I think it was a decent movie. What the hell were they thinking with the TV trailer for it though? It kind of ruins a twist ending when all the trailers indicate the ending is a twist. The ending was obvious as a result, IMO.

The_Return
12-01-2005, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by eastsidemotel6
I think it was a decent movie. What the hell were they thinking with the TV trailer for it though? It kind of ruins a twist ending when all the trailers indicate the ending is a twist. The ending was obvious as a result, IMO.

Agreed! I saw didnt see those trailers until after I saw it, thakfully. But ya, they definatly give alot away.

crazy raplh
12-01-2005, 02:31 PM
just bought it today am going to watchit tonight,

no mulier
12-04-2005, 02:40 AM
Speaking of voodoo, does anyone recall (Candyman) Tony Todd in the role of a voodoo priest who puts a curse on a white man, chops him into pieces, and puts him in a sack. And there's an ending shot showing the body parts moving inside the sack.

This could have been some kind of television show...

Doc Faustus
12-07-2005, 05:53 PM
I think that was a Tales from the Crypt.

no mulier
12-11-2005, 02:41 AM
Thank you, Doc Faustus.

Did this same series have the story about a glass-eating man from the circus who falls in love, tries to run away with the girl. An old woman removes his "talent", after which he is cut into pieces from the inside. The ending shows the girl frozen from the trauma, and the old woman is sticking pins on her in a circus show.

Should really check where I can get this...

bwind22
12-13-2005, 07:28 AM
It probably is. Tales from the Crypt was an awesome show! I used to watch that all the time. They had some really awesome ones on sometimes, but of course, they had their fair share of lame ones too.

slasherman
12-13-2005, 10:28 AM
..it was ok ..not more...reminded me of Misery

LadyFrost
01-05-2007, 04:45 PM
I just rented out "The Skeleton Key" and was told by omcdave prior to watching it that it was a very good movie. Well i just finised watching it, and although I was a little skeptical of Kate Hudson in a lead horror role, it turned out to be a very good movie. Not as jumpy scary as I would have thought, but it was still very good.

And there were some twists that I actually didnt see coming. But I'm a sucker for New Orleans, Ol Southern Voodoo Charm WitchCraft movies. I'm into that kind of thing. I'm more inclined to the supernatural then the serial killer. But that's just me.

I would suggest this movie to people who liked "The Craft", "The Others" and there is another movie that is similar that I would suggest but I jut can't think of the name right now.

I've also got "Hide and Seek" and "White Noise" that I'm going to be watching during the day. As I'm impatient and I dont feel like waiting until tomorrow night.

xxfrostyxx

the_real_linda
01-05-2007, 04:51 PM
i really enjoyed the skeleton key.........im not saying its an excellent film i just refused to buy it so it was one of my mums blind buys....and i was surprised by it....plus john hurt is fantastic. i recomend it....i love all the hoodoo/voodoo type stuff im a big fan of the candyman films

LadyFrost
01-05-2007, 04:53 PM
i really enjoyed the skeleton key.........im not saying its an excellent film i just refused to buy it so it was one of my mums blind buys....and i was surprised by it....plus john hurt is fantastic. i recomend it....i love all the hoodoo/voodoo type stuff im a big fan of the candyman films

I still haven't seen "Candyman". I remember when me and my friends where still in high school (wow high school, never though I'd talk about that again) and we use to have scary movie nights, and "Candyman" was always on our list, but we never ended up renting it. I have no idea why?

But I know what you mean, I wouldn't go out and buy "The Skeleton Key" but I wouldn't complain if someone else bought it for me. It still a very good movie.

xxfrostyxx

BlackSunProductions
01-05-2007, 05:04 PM
Not at all a groundbreaking film, but it was entertaining. Candyman was an enjoyable film too. We had a game like Candyman only the ghost was called Bloody Mary. At camp once we played it (look in a mirror and say "Bloody Mary" five times then turn off the lights). We would freak out every night after that at every little noise in the night.

LadyFrost
01-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Not at all a groundbreaking film, but it was entertaining. Candyman was an enjoyable film too. We had a game like Candyman only the ghost was called Bloody Mary. At camp once we played it (look in a mirror and say "Bloody Mary" five times then turn off the lights). We would freak out every night after that at every little noise in the night.

I think that the "Candyman" movie was actually adapted from the Bloody Mary myth/legend. Bloody Mary has been around for centuries, it was a form of "good behavour" rights for children way back when. Like so many other myths/legends/ghost stories are. Parents back then figured that scared kids are good kids. lol

xxfrostyxx

Kreech
01-05-2007, 06:33 PM
I thought the skeleton key was pretty bland really. I guess I had other things on my mind when i saw it in the theater a couple years ago, but I remember feeling like 'eh... i won't be telling anyone about this.' when i walked to the car afterwords. The voodoo I liked, and prefer to serial killers as well, but I don't know. I just couldn't get into it.

urgeok
01-06-2007, 01:50 AM
i thought it was terrible.
slow and predictable .. it didnt grab me in any way at all.

LadyFrost
01-06-2007, 07:13 AM
Urgeok, I'm starting to think that it's Mission Impossible to please you with a horror films that come out in the 21st Century.

xxfrostyxx

slasherman
01-06-2007, 07:20 AM
atleat we can agree on something...

XtRaVa
01-06-2007, 07:53 AM

100% agree with you. I thought it was quite awful :(

urgeok
01-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Urgeok, I'm starting to think that it's Mission Impossible to please you with a horror films that come out in the 21st Century.

xxfrostyxx

if you'd been here longer you'd know that wasnt true.

LadyFrost
01-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Alright if you say so. I'll believe you then.

xxfrostyxx

SamCostello
01-07-2007, 11:02 AM
I thought it was a pretty slow, boring film, at best. What I found really shocking about it, though, was its implicit approval of lynching: the slaves (or were they hired help? It's been awhile, so I don't remember) were evil and threatening the children, so by lynching them, the white people were doing something that the movie deems to be good!

Amazing. I wonder if people think these things through before they make movies like that.

Sam

XtRaVa
01-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Seems like an accurate portrayal of south US to me ;)

The_Return
01-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Saw it in theatres twice. Not so much because it was a great movie, more because of poor scheduling on my part (Went with a friend one night, then like a week later another friend wanted to see a movie, so I tagged along not knowing what we were going to, haha)

Anyway, I enjoyed it both times. Wouldnt buy it and really have no desire to watch it again, but it was alot better than most of the other Hollywood horror crap that was coming out around that time. Decent story and atmosphere, passable acting, and a twist that actually took most of the movie to figure out.:).

heebiejeebies
01-07-2007, 01:26 PM
I remember this movie not so much because it was good but because of the bad day that led up to my seeing it...but that's a whole other can of worms. As for the movie, I was impressed with Kate Hudson's acting, but Gena Rowlands kept me watching. She was a little over-the-top, but in a good way. The whole voodoo thing gets me every time, and the ending still caught me by surprise despite having seen a couple of trailers.

obsessedwhorror
01-13-2007, 03:45 PM
I own The Skeleton Key.
I thought it was really good/interesting.
Unlike some of the newer movies.
I loved the ending, too.
I recommend it, although lots of people i talk to don't like it.
See for yourself!

ThrillerWriter666
01-18-2007, 12:09 PM
I enjoyed The Skeleton, but for southern creepiness, I really loved The Gift. It's more suspense than horror, but it does have a supernatural element. Sam Raimi directed so you can't go wrong there.

the_real_linda
01-18-2007, 12:27 PM
i loved the gift too and the skeleton key far exceeded my expectations....very good in my opinion...now all i gotta do in steal it from my mum