PDA

View Full Version : High Tension

i have no life
10-21-2005, 07:26 AM
**spoiler**

So did High Tension make you panicky like some of the critics said it would? I didnt like that movie all that much. I think Im getting tired of the "schizophrenic band wagon" these writers are on. Secret Window, Hide and Seek, and this one. I dont consider the first two horror but these are the ones that come to mind because they are recent, are there any others?

handsome rob
10-21-2005, 08:43 AM
****SPOILERS WARNING****

Identity, Fight Club, etc.

yea it's really getting to be over-done. i felt like a lot of the High Tension plot was taken from the book Intensity by Dean Koontz. The ending really took a lot away from the movie for me.

BH14
10-21-2005, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by i have no life
So did High Tension make you panicky like some of the critics said it would? I didnt like that movie all that much. I think Im getting tired of the "schizophrenic band wagon" these writers are on. Secret Window, Hide and Seek, and this one. I dont consider the first two horror but these are the ones that come to mind because they are recent, are there any others?

SPOILER:
You should write SPOILER just in case so you wont ruin it for people who havent seen it. What was so wrong with the movie? Even if you may not fully agree with the ending, it still had great acting, plenty of gore, lot of tension, etc so one can still enjoy it. Everyone that I talked to LOVED it as so did I. Please dont mention Hide and Seek and Secret Window with High Tension. Hide and Seek was so damn predictable after the first 20 mins and High Tension wasnt. I dont think anyone saw that plot coming from High Tension. As for Secret Window, one of the worst movies I ever seen. Pathetic movie! As for Fight Club and Identity, I enjoyed both those movies a lot.

Dont you get tired of the same ol..... killer goes after good guy, good guy kills killer and good guy lives happily ever after type of movie? There are too many horror movies which lack good plot and High Tension delivers a good unpredictable plot unlike the crap like Hide and Seek and Secret Window that you mentioned.

i have no life
10-21-2005, 12:21 PM
**Spoiler**

spoiler-sorry about that, thanks for the correction, im new to this thing im sure you've noticed :).

Hight Tension-I just didnt like it. Some movies just dont do it for me and this was one of them. It started good but there were so many holes in the plot that I lost interest, I didnt care what happened next, I was just waiting for the "guyish" chick to eat it. Dont get me wrong, I love a good slasher/gore flick and this one had some cool scenes, just didnt like the plot. Secret Window and Hide and Seek didnt do it for me either, I guess Im also tired of the same ending in these movies "pshycho killer turns out to be the main character who is a schizo killer".

Fight Club and Identity-I have both of these on DVD. Both very good, completely forgot about them but good movies.

handsome rob
10-21-2005, 02:06 PM
Don't get me wrong...in all, I enjoyed the movie. I thought a lot of it was very creative(and that says a lot these days since every movie that comes out in the states is just a remake of some beat-to-death plot). I'm just saying that using that trite ending took a lot away from it for me. Maybe in France it's not as over-done...who knows.

******SPOILER WARNING*********

Love that buzzsaw through the windshield at the end though...fucking amazing! :D

i have no life
10-22-2005, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by handsome rob
Don't get me wrong...in all, I enjoyed the movie. I thought a lot of it was very creative(and that says a lot these days since every movie that comes out in the states is just a remake of some beat-to-death plot). I'm just saying that using that trite ending took a lot away from it for me. Maybe in France it's not as over-done...who knows.

******SPOILER WARNING*********

Love that buzzsaw through the windshield at the end though...fucking amazing! :D

Yeah, Ive read in other reviews when it came to the states it was butchered, a lot of the movie was taken out. Too bad we cant see a directors cut, those are always the shit! But the ending would still be the same...

The Mothman
10-22-2005, 09:57 AM
jsut bought it today. cant wait to see it.

zwoti
10-22-2005, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by i have no life
Yeah, Ive read in other reviews when it came to the states it was butchered, a lot of the movie was taken out. Too bad we cant see a directors cut, those are always the shit! But the ending would still be the same...

there is no director's cut, you could buy the unrated version

RavageRitual
10-23-2005, 09:18 AM
I think this is a flat out amazing film.

Hate_Breeder
10-23-2005, 07:45 PM
SPOILER

I love the part where the Alex's dads cranium is shoved through the railing of the staircase..then taken off by the dresser being pushed straight through and the blood just squirts for a good 5 seconds..

But the end felt kind of void. How did the main character find the truck and all the weapons and so forth..and how was she with Alex when her little brother was getting shot..when it was actually her doing the shooting? Doesnt make sense

Good movie none the less

SKOOFx
10-24-2005, 07:17 AM
SPOILER:

If the movie ended with her staring out into the sky screaming her lungs out after she killed the "killer".....it would have been one of the best horror movies to date..

str8 up brutal-slasher...

We know too much about the slashers these days..it would have been nice for it to have been executed on a simple level.

We dont know who he was..what his past was or anything...he was just some fucked up psycho...who brought pain to everyone .....
then,
she kills him....screams at the sky forever trauamtized..MOVIE ENDS.

in my opinion, it would have been classic. Leaving you with the unsettling fear that this COULD really happen..and people like thet DO exist.

The original ending is ok...and its fun..because you can discuss it over a cup of joe and try to figure out the sexual undertones the director intended..but still..the movie was robbed from being a fantastic horror film..(TCM style).

i have no life
10-24-2005, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Hate_Breeder
SPOILER

I love the part where the Alex's dads cranium is shoved through the railing of the staircase..then taken off by the dresser being pushed straight through and the blood just squirts for a good 5 seconds..

Good movie none the less

That was fuckin awesome!

newb
10-24-2005, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by SKOOFx
SPOILER:

If the movie ended with her staring out into the sky screaming her lungs out after she killed the "killer".....it would have been one of the best horror movies to date..

str8 up brutal-slasher...

We know too much about the slashers these days..it would have been nice for it to have been executed on a simple level.

We dont know who he was..what his past was or anything...he was just some fucked up psycho...who brought pain to everyone .....
then,
she kills him....screams at the sky forever trauamtized..MOVIE ENDS.

in my opinion, it would have been classic. Leaving you with the unsettling fear that this COULD really happen..and people like thet DO exist.

The original ending is ok...and its fun..because you can discuss it over a cup of joe and try to figure out the sexual undertones the director intended..but still..the movie was robbed from being a fantastic horror film..(TCM style).

I'm in full agreement with this comment.

AmericanManiac
10-24-2005, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by BH14
SPOILER:
You should write SPOILER just in case so you wont ruin it for people who havent seen it. What was so wrong with the movie? Even if you may not fully agree with the ending, it still had great acting, plenty of gore, lot of tension, etc so one can still enjoy it. Everyone that I talked to LOVED it as so did I. Please dont mention Hide and Seek and Secret Window with High Tension. Hide and Seek was so damn predictable after the first 20 mins and High Tension wasnt. I dont think anyone saw that plot coming from High Tension. As for Secret Window, one of the worst movies I ever seen. Pathetic movie! As for Fight Club and Identity, I enjoyed both those movies a lot.

Dont you get tired of the same ol..... killer goes after good guy, good guy kills killer and good guy lives happily ever after type of movie? There are too many horror movies which lack good plot and High Tension delivers a good unpredictable plot unlike the crap like Hide and Seek and Secret Window that you mentioned.

Well seeing that you are a hardcore High Tension fan lol, I agree with everything you said. Except Secret window I haven't seen it.

Michael_Meyers
10-24-2005, 04:47 PM
I thought it was awesome...Although I didnt like how all the interviews were almost completely in French..but its origionally French anyways.

The_Return
10-24-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Hate_Breeder
SPOILER

But the end felt kind of void. How did the main character find the truck and all the weapons and so forth..and how was she with Alex when her little brother was getting shot..when it was actually her doing the shooting? Doesnt make sense

Good movie none the less

*MORE SPOILERS*

I figured it was part of her disorder. The whole movie we arent always seeing whats actually happening, just whats inside her head. Part of her personality thought she was hiding and such while the other part of her had control of her body. Make sence to anyone other than myself?

bwind22
11-02-2005, 11:28 PM
I just watched this last night. It was going great until the end...

SPOILER

The "Surprise" twist ending left way too many holes in the plot and made no attempt to explain them. How was she driving more than one vehicle at a time? Where did the big geren van come from? What the hell was with the severed head hummer then if it was a chick? Too many damn holes...

I don't know... This movie started off GREAT, then the ending ruined it a lot for me. See Last Seen Movie for a full review and grade.

alkytrio666
11-03-2005, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by bwind22
The "Surprise" twist ending left way too many holes in the plot and made no attempt to explain them. How was she driving more than one vehicle at a time? Where did the big geren van come from? What the hell was with the severed head hummer then if it was a chick? Too many damn holes...

I don't know... This movie started off GREAT, then the ending ruined it a lot for me. See Last Seen Movie for a full review and grade.

Yah, I wondered the same thing, about the two vehicles.

On the other hand, a chick can get pleasure orally too, you know. Just stick the tongue out, mash down the teeth...never mind. :)

ShankS
11-03-2005, 04:53 AM
It's a mish mash of twisted events, jumbled up within her messed up paranoid mind.

bwind22
11-03-2005, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by ShankS
It's a mish mash of twisted events, jumbled up within her messed up paranoid mind.

Is this what you really were trying to say...

It's a mish mashed plot jumbled up within a movie they messed up.

BH14
11-04-2005, 05:16 PM
SPOILERS:

I think some of you all missed the point... We are seeing the battle of her multiple personalities in her head and what that personalty felt at the particular moment. What you see doesnt necessarily mean it's real. We are seeing whats going on in her head (some of it real and some of it not in the real world).

That car chase never really happened in the real world... She was actually driving the other girl all alone but she flashed in between personalities. For one second, she thinks that she is following a truck and the next, she has become the killer. We are watching whats going on from her current mental state. Sometimes she felt like she was driving the hotrod and saving her friend and then later the truck and being all evil.

When a crazy person starts having a conversation with himself, Im sure that he thinks he is sane and having a real conversation with someone in their head. Thats what we are seeing! We are seeing the movie from the personality even though its not reality. As for the decapatated BJ, I dont think it really ever happened but the Killer personality experienced it in his life.

There is no car chase! No real fight! She really didnt morph into the killer at the end! She wasnt really being chased by a Killer!

BH14
11-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by The_Return
*MORE SPOILERS*

I figured it was part of her disorder. The whole movie we arent always seeing whats actually happening, just whats inside her head. Part of her personality thought she was hiding and such while the other part of her had control of her body. Make sence to anyone other than myself?

Thats what I have been saying all along and yet, some people are still confused and they really believe there was a real car chase. The movie was like an Angel and the Devil on each shoulder taking full control of her and battling it out in her head. Some of it happened only in her head (LIKE THE CAR CHASE) and some of it leaked out in the real world and left dead bodies.

alkytrio666
11-04-2005, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by BH14
As for the decapatated BJ, I dont think it really ever happened but the Killer personality experienced it in his life.

I think it did, though.

But good point on the car chase. You converted me.

giallobelly
11-05-2005, 03:47 PM
I loved it. I totally didn't see the (***SPOILER***) "twist" coming at all. Total brutality from beginning to end. Salut!

PR3SSUR3
11-07-2005, 09:40 AM
It's a mish mash of twisted events, jumbled up within her messed up paranoid mind

Yes well put, and an excellent horror thriller with an almost entirely unpredictable twist (anyone who claims they "saw it coming" can piss off - bum's on fire). :)

Great gore by De Rossi, especially the head-squashing and razor attacks.

Some folk seem preoccupied with looking for plot holes - in all movies - as some kind of triumph of intelligence. Better to just go along for the ride, particularly in such a bold and confident film as this.

jesus1.0
11-07-2005, 11:24 AM
great movie but not as scary as most critics said it would be but most critics normally watch movies like wizard of oz woot woot !!! :D :D :D

Jason Hodder
11-10-2005, 10:14 AM
There is a guy at the mall by me that sells all kinds of Aisa cinema movies and I bought this film from him. I was able to see this film without any of the "American" cuts to it. I tought that the film was really good. It was very original and I loved the story. I was a little put off by theending.

*SPOILERS*

I had just seen Window and Hide and Seek not too long before this film and all I could think was, not another movie where the killer doesn't know they are the killer movie. I really liked Fight Club (One of my top 3 fave movies ever) and Identity. I know those have the same type of ending but it might be I didn't see them so close to each other.

Other then that I would still recomend Tension to anyone and everyone.

PR3SSUR3
11-10-2005, 10:19 AM
The USA release was cut?

It was uncut in the UK, which is nice.

zwoti
11-10-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by PR3SSUR3
The USA release was cut?

It was uncut in the UK, which is nice.

makes a change :p