PDA

View Full Version : Event Horizon

Egekrusher
01-07-2004, 08:38 AM
Personally, I thought that movie completely kicked ass.

Discuss.

Aylmer
01-07-2004, 08:51 AM
I only saw it once but I liked it. I heard a directors cut is gonna be out sometime this year.

Egekrusher
01-07-2004, 08:53 AM
Sweet. I love the concept of the movie.

abbycomix
01-07-2004, 09:30 AM
I really liked this. It scared me. Saw it on sci-fi channel so they probably cut it but it seemed plenty gory to me!

allmykids
01-07-2004, 12:21 PM
I thought that movie kicks ass!!! I love sam neil in horror, he has done several, IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS, THE OMEN, and DEAD CALM. would love to see him in something new!! sorry kinda got off the subject. :o

Je Suis Phnomne
01-07-2004, 12:28 PM
Excellent movie, and a Directors Cut would be awsome

mictlan
01-07-2004, 12:38 PM
Event Horizon was pretty sadistic for a big-budget release. I say that as a compliment. I liked the film a lot. The fast-cut torture subliminals were very creepy.

I like Lawrence Fishburne a lot but Sam Neill irritates me in Event Horizon for some reason. It seems like there's no clear-cut turning point in the film for him to become a villain.

I'll be interested to see the director's cut.

nightbreed
01-09-2004, 11:28 AM
Event Horizon is one of my favorite films of all time. personally i think it was one of the last good sci-fi movies to come out in theatre, along with gattica, screamers, 13th floor, etc. although it was significantly dark than the afformentioned movies. Fuck yeah, a directors cut would be awesome.

_Leatha_Face_
01-09-2004, 12:10 PM
i didnt think i would like this movie but when i saw it i enjoyed it alot it was completely insane Sam Neil did a good job

Malicious_Mirth
01-09-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by nightbreed
Event Horizon is one of my favorite films of all time. personally i think it was one of the last good sci-fi movies to come out in theatre, along with gattica, screamers, 13th floor, etc. although it was significantly dark than the afformentioned movies. Fuck yeah, a directors cut would be awesome.

WOW

couldnt have said it better myself

i freakin love sam neil ....this movie is also one of my favorites

predfan
01-09-2004, 01:28 PM
creepy, gory and good plot.....great movie

Arioch
01-09-2004, 01:48 PM
yeah this movie is pretty fucking good. I had to buy it when i saw it for 10$ somewhere.

For an extra treat try watching those super fast subliminal torture scenes in 1/16 or 1/32 speed on dvd. You get to see everything, pretty crazy.

Gattaca FUCKING OWNS! got it for xmas. I think im gonna be the only one saying this but im not sure if i want the directors cut (i really dont want to buy it again:( )

bangwell
01-10-2004, 11:46 AM
Yes no2 im my most disturbing horror movies, no1 is "in the mouth of madness" also starring sam (awesome movie")

avenger00soul
01-12-2004, 02:41 PM
Event Horizon is the only movie where I have left the theater with an adrenaline rush. Loved it.

Gattaca is one of the greatest scifi films ever made. I enjoyed the 13th Floor as well, but that movie gets NO respect.

otis
02-04-2004, 09:08 PM
Have any of you horror fans out there seen this flick? I want to know your thoughts. Me personally, I think it is one of the scariest movies i have seen and my favorite space horror( next comes Jason X and Hellraiser: Bloodline)

Dreaming Girl
02-04-2004, 10:13 PM
It's pretty good. The ending disappointed me a little, but I really liked the premise, and it had some pretty cool, creepy imagery.

It's got nothin' on "space horror" compared to Alien and Aliens though. :-)

Dr.Kelvinstein
02-05-2004, 12:57 AM
It was fun, but the tagline should've been Hellraiser in Space.

sleepaway
02-05-2004, 01:51 AM
Well, I saw it once at the cinema and hated it! I think I was a tad pissed that it was ripped off from so many other movies that I loved! Other than that it had a nice atmosphere and cinematography and well acted but I was disappointed. Might be interesting to see it again and see if my opinion changes.

nightbreed
02-05-2004, 01:56 AM
i remember post about this like 4 months ago. but anyways fuck yeah i loved event horizon. great flick.

ChaoticMinister
02-05-2004, 06:41 AM
How many times do I have to say this: "Jason X was NOT a horror movie!"

It is an abmination unto the lords of Horror (a nod to Avenger)...

I found no part of that movie to be "terrifying" or "horrifying"... However, it did make me want to use the bathroom... Profusely... Again and again and again...

It should be removed from the list and replaced by an adequate Friday the Thirteenth Sequel...

Cracka Please...

*FADE OUT*

Vodstok
02-05-2004, 08:28 AM
Event Horizon was not bad. Some of the actors (like that jackass from bar wire and dead at 21) detracted a little from the movie, but overall it wasnt bad. I liked the premise, very "Doom (the game) on a spaceship".

Signs515
02-05-2004, 11:57 AM
Decent movie, it was really hyped up by me friends though so maybe that made it a little worse for me. Some really creepy parts though, especially the video of the lost space crew.

nightbreed
02-05-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by ChaoticMinister
How many times do I have to say this: "Jason X was NOT a horror movie!"

It is an abmination unto the lords of Horror (a nod to Avenger)...

I found no part of that movie to be "terrifying" or "horrifying"... However, it did make me want to use the bathroom... Profusely... Again and again and again...

It should be removed from the list and replaced by an adequate Friday the Thirteenth Sequel...

Cracka Please...

*FADE OUT*

hey peep the subject at the top of the thread...

PsychoticPanda
02-05-2004, 02:21 PM
I saw about half of Event Horizon about 5 years ago. I don't remember much, though. I thought it was really gross, after I saw parts of it, then it scared me. :eek:

Splatter Phreak
02-06-2004, 05:09 AM
a damn fine film - love the fuzzy video of the hell dimension bit, and the airlock bit. yeah alot like hellraiser in space, but a damn fine flick non the less. i saw it at the cinema and it made me jump alot, then i had some acid the next day and people looked like they had no eyes. creepy.

ChaoticMinister
02-06-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by nightbreed
hey peep the subject at the top of the thread...

Uh... If I'm not mistaken, the thread starter made a comment about Jason X taking second place in space "horror" films... Granted, I made no comment about Event Horizon, I merely felt this issue should be addressed again... I felt "otis" deserved a mild scolding for considering Jason X a horror movie...

That is all...

*FADE OUT*

spoon
02-27-2004, 07:11 PM
great movie

Tat2
01-03-2005, 12:51 PM
Event Horizon is an excellent mix of SciFi and Horror, yet you very rarely see it brought up in discussions, it kind of slipped in under the radar when it was released. This is one movie that fans of the Horror genre should not miss. It stars Sam Neil, and in my opinion is his best role to date. This is one of those movies that practically begs for a sequel!

It is in my top 10 of all time favorite horror films.

What do you think?

urgeok
01-03-2005, 01:12 PM
i'm not saying this to be contrary but i clearly remember hating every second of this movie ..
I found the performances to be limp - and the story blah ..
but i've seen a lot of other praise the film so once again, its just me.

maybe i should watch it again.

Sedated_replica
01-03-2005, 02:21 PM
I was heard mix reviews of the movie.

Personally it fucking rocks. I love it and can't find anything wrong with it.

allmykids
01-03-2005, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by urgeok
i'm not saying this to be contrary but i clearly remember hating every second of this movie ..
I found the performances to be limp - and the story blah ..
but i've seen a lot of other praise the film so once again, its just me.

maybe i should watch it again.

I think you need To WATCH IT AGAIN!! It Kicks Ass!! How could you not like it??

Angelakillsluts
01-03-2005, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by allmykids
I think you need To WATCH IT AGAIN!! It Kicks Ass!! How could you not like it??
I thought it was awesome too.

nine9
01-03-2005, 07:19 PM
I thought it was really scary.......and I don't scare easily!

I really liked this flic!

:D

I also loved the whole concept! :cool:

TheOmen
01-03-2005, 09:05 PM
I remember thinking I liked it, though I can't remember why.

Top 10 is a little fucking glorified, isn't it?

zwoti
01-04-2005, 08:03 AM
wonder if we'll ever see a complete version?

Vodstok
01-04-2005, 08:52 AM
i thought it was an interesting movie. i hated it the first time i saw it, flat out hated it. I dont mind it now, and i do find it interesting, but i couldnt help thinking "i could do MUCh better with this material"

Its good for a Paul Anderson movie, for what that is worth. Plus, it has some actors i love":
Lawrence Fishburn
Sam Neil
Sean Pertwee
Jason Issacs

Okay, so thats about it. it had that blonde twit from Barb Wire and Dead at 21 in it, so that was a big pitfall...

Its kind of the video game doom, only set on a spaceship and without any actual demons.

EXTR3MIST
01-04-2005, 10:17 AM
It's responsible for restarting a lot of amature theories about dimensions and time travel ("It's all about wormholes, maan!"), but I always like these kinds of movies if they are reasonably acted and provide a few mechanical jolts along the way, which this one does.

Not sure about the "Shining in space!" headlines at the time, though.

Vodstok
01-04-2005, 12:42 PM
I never thought of it as the shining in space, but that isnt a bad analogy.

Man with troubled past is put in a claustrophobic situation. "people" start talking to him, he goes nuts, and tries to kill the others.

Tat2
01-04-2005, 01:21 PM
I don't think top 10 is to glorified. There was one part that I thought the lines and the acting sucked (the part where Lawrence Fishburn is about to blow-up the ship and states something to the effect of "...I know...to Hell...). I thought that was rather lame, but it is still hard to argue that the film was a very good one. Everyones' top ten is different here and there.

KRUGERKID13
01-04-2005, 01:23 PM
its good but i didnt think it was anything special

ShankS
01-04-2005, 02:40 PM
liberate tutemae.

Sedated_replica
01-04-2005, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Vodstok

Its kind of the video game doom, only set on a spaceship and without any actual demons.

So... its nothing like doom...

Vodstok
01-05-2005, 03:36 AM
"Teleporting" technology opens a gateway to hell, eveyone dies a horrible death. it is QUITE similar to doom in that respect.

Nemesis412
01-07-2005, 07:19 PM
I cant rememeber much but i rememeber when the lights were flickering and the black eyed woman scared the shit outta me. I wanna see through the mouth of madness with sam neill(is that whats its called) that scared me......u ever seen it? hah with the freaky dude on the bike man scared me.....dont get scared by horror cuz i love them so much but i was younger and it gave me the chills

Tat2
01-08-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Nemesis412
I cant rememeber much but i rememeber when the lights were flickering and the black eyed woman scared the shit outta me. I wanna see through the mouth of madness with sam neill(is that whats its called) that scared me......u ever seen it? hah with the freaky dude on the bike man scared me.....dont get scared by horror cuz i love them so much but i was younger and it gave me the chills

Yeah, I got In the Mouth of Madness. It's pretty good, I think. The old guy/or woman on the bike creeped out my wife a bit.:D

Nemesis412
01-10-2005, 04:50 PM
Yeah I can't rememeber much except for, The old man chained to his wife, the church with like the little freaky teeth kids or whatever, and when he keeps driving and it keeps repeating. That movie is good I wanna see that movie again.

mikeywalsh
01-19-2005, 04:12 AM
In the UK we used to have these adverts for compilation CDs called 'The Greatest BLANK (Rock, Pop, Dance etc) Album in the World...Ever' because it used the favourites from all the genre and Event Horizon is a little like this, it uses the torrent of blood from The Shining, the booming/banging from The Haunting, the SM-ish make-up from Hellraiser and mixes them all up into an excellent, if hardly life-changing, movie.

Vodstok
01-19-2005, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by mikeywalsh
In the UK we used to have these adverts for compilation CDs called 'The Greatest BLANK (Rock, Pop, Dance etc) Album in the World...Ever' because it used the favourites from all the genre and Event Horizon is a little like this, it uses the torrent of blood from The Shining, the booming/banging from The Haunting, the SM-ish make-up from Hellraiser and mixes them all up into an excellent, if hardly life-changing, movie. Wow, nice first post. Welcome to the forum, :)

Nemesis412
01-19-2005, 11:29 AM
Haha Yes I agree with Vodstok.

Welcome to the horror forums Mikey.

majorbludd
01-19-2005, 05:40 PM
event horizon had its moments...i.e. sam neill's wife without eyes....in fact i thought it was pretty damn scary after i first seen it....but theres little character development...which is what killed anderson's next movie; soldier. but hes good at shooting action...i mean both predator vs alien and soldier had some great violence.

Vodstok
01-20-2005, 04:09 AM
Hey, first there was "Style over Substance", now there is "action as stuffing":
A flavorless filler that inundates you with flashy, violent imagery to gloss over the fact that the characters are 1 dimensional and boring.

I try to avoid this as much as possible.

urgeok
01-20-2005, 05:06 AM
i agree totally ... there wasnt one decent performance in that movie .. fishburn was unbelieveably bad .. unheard of.

Vodstok
01-20-2005, 06:14 AM
I cant quite put my finger on what i dont like about most of Anderson's movies.... They are all ones that SCREAM "Love me!", but they feel hollow... Somethings missing....

Nemesis412
01-20-2005, 03:57 PM
Yeah.....I mean I just think Anderson's movie SUCK. He just doesn't have it. He just seems to screw everything up.

Blah I don't think he shoulda ever been in the biz :mad:

Preacher
01-21-2005, 08:48 AM
I thought it was complete turd. How bloody predictable can you get!!??

'Oh yeah.....the ship is in two parts......one can break away.....just incase anythin bad happens.'

Really gay fx as well. That bit where he's got no eyes looks real good.....errr....no!!

Ash x x

graveshow
01-21-2005, 01:28 PM
I didn't HATE the movie, but, I didnt LOVE it either. I think my problem with the movie is I didnt really give a damn about anyone in it, and unlike the spaceship in say, Alien or many other films, the fact that the ship seemed so damn UN-utilitarian bothered me. I couldnt imagine anyone engineering such an entirely Gigeresque spaceship design....

The acting was a bit flat in places, but, I always attributed that to the way the dialog was written, and not the performers themselves..... I mean, there are points where you know the actors had to be thinking, "They expect me to SAY this crap?"

And as shocking as the revelation of the recording of what happened on the ship was, with its carnage and flashing imagery, the climax paled in comparison. Its almost like the movie blew it's load halfway through and spent the rest of the time playing catch up.

But....truth be known....everytime I see the damn thing in the cable listings, I'll give it a watch.....

i have no life
10-20-2005, 10:45 AM
Would you consider this more of a Sci Fi Thriller or Horror? This is one of those movies I can watch over and over again and never get sick of it. The gore is awesome!

doctor satan
10-20-2005, 10:50 AM
yes and Director Paul Anderson went on to much better things like:
Soldier
Resident Evil
AVP

scouse mac
10-20-2005, 10:54 AM
Its both, a Sci/Fi Horror which doesn't seem to get the credit it deserves. I watched this film only a few days ago and i'd forgotten how good it is.

Zero
10-20-2005, 12:54 PM
What's Alien? What's The Thing? I'm not entirely sure you can draw a clear line between horror and sci-fi. What do others think?

i have no life
10-20-2005, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Zero
What's Alien? What's The Thing? I'm not entirely sure you can draw a clear line between horror and sci-fi. What do others think?

Do you mean in general or just with this flick? In my opinion there is a line between horror and sci-fi, just not with this movie :)

noctuary
10-21-2005, 05:06 AM
There is indeed a very clear division between SF and horror. This movie, as well as the films that Zero mentioned, just happens to blur the lines a little. Anyway, I'm glad to see more fans of this underrated movie. I too could watch this one over and over again.

no mulier
10-21-2005, 05:45 AM
This is one of several films Anderson films on
my dvd shelf. Sometimes it makes me wonder
why I decided to have it in the first place. It
only takes one viewing to remind me...

On a sidenote, it was very annoying to watch
Anderson in the AvP extras talking about how
much he wanted to "improve" on the effects
of Predator. Mo-mo-betta isn't always better.

Tat2
10-24-2005, 05:49 PM
I'm glad to see there are others that really like this movie. It is on my top ten list.

Like others, I believe that there is a firm line between Sci-Fi and Horror. However, this is one of the very few movies that mix the two "sub-genres" perfectly (Alien and The Thing as mentioned in other posts).

gorefreak
10-24-2005, 07:52 PM
It wasn't a bad movie but I just really wasn't into it so much. Could've been better.

zwoti
10-25-2005, 10:42 AM
still waiting for my special edition :mad:

i have no life
10-25-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by zwoti
still waiting for my special edition :mad:

me too :mad:

komi
10-25-2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by i have no life
Would you consider this more of a Sci Fi Thriller or Horror? This is one of those movies I can watch over and over again and never get sick of it. The gore is awesome!

pure sf/horror :cool:

gorefreak
10-25-2005, 07:31 PM
The ending was pretty lame though. I usually don't care for those dream-something-bad-happens type endings where they wake up so it's either just a bad dream or perhaps a premonition?

Angelakillsluts
10-25-2005, 07:38 PM
I don't really remember the ending, but I enjoyed the movie.

gorefreak
10-25-2005, 07:51 PM
If I recall correctly, one of the crew was in one of those cryo-chambers and something was wrong and they were reviving em. Like the whole "Event Horizion" thing never happened and went back to the beginning long before they ever got there.

scouse mac
10-27-2005, 04:16 AM
Not so. Sam Neill and Laurence Fishburne were transported to the demon dimension while the surviving members of the crew (3 i think) used the crew section of event horizon as a lifepod to carry them home as their own ship had been destroyed. You may be mistaking the ending with the film Sphere where they all agree to forget anything had happened so not to affect future events (or something like that).

gorefreak
10-27-2005, 04:37 AM
lol N, I saw "Sphere", but I could've sworn the movie went to the beginning when they were all in the ship before anyone event went to the Event Horizion ship, with the difference being that one crew member that passed out like they had a convulsion or something and they were yelling for the medics.

no mulier
10-28-2005, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by i have no life
Would you consider this more of a Sci Fi Thriller or Horror?

Do you know any good books that feature expansive material on horror films? Well, I found one from the library. It's called the Aurum Film Encyclopedia: Horror.

Interesting to note is what the editor Phil Hardy had to say about the question above:

Film makers make films. It is the critics -- and in this case, cinephiles -- who worry about genre.

If we must cut and dice Event Horizon in order to put it into clean-cut category (Science Fiction or Horror), consider the "definition".

In terms of the scientific basis (the ship's capability of folding space) from which the horrors are unleashed, this would be science-fiction.

On the other hand, based on theme (Hell), this would be horror.

So...if it has to be one or the other, which is it to be?

Anyone..?

gorefreak
10-28-2005, 04:42 AM
I thought there was a sci-fi/horror catagory.... and what would you consider "The Thing" to be? Alien, mimics living organizms, gore and blood when it's discovered and fights to survive? I would say "The Thing" is more horror than sci-fi, whereas "Event Horizon has a bit of a horror theme but more along the lines of sci-fi.

ChEEbA
10-28-2005, 05:34 AM
yes and Director Paul Anderson went on to much better things like:
Soldier
Resident Evil
AVP

That's a joke, right?
I mean, I don't hate resident evil nearly as much as the majority...but RE and AVP are by no means superior films...Soldier was a slight improvement over the other two, but I still can't see it being any kind of "better".

**SPOILER**

Anyways, whatever...To sort it out, what happened at the end was, the ship was heading back, or getting pulled back towards the "hell" dimension, The captain (Laurence Fishburn) Blew up a section of the ship, trapping himself and the doctor guy (Neill) on the side bound for that dimension, leaving TWO survivors on the other side to escape. It was a girl, and a guy who had been unconscious for most of the film after an almost possession-like incident had him open an airlock without a spacesuit.
The female wakes up, and sees the evil doctor guy with his face all fucked up,but it's only a dream, a rescue team retreives the two people when she ACTUALLY wakes up.

Oh, and I'd consider it a "horror themed psychological thriller", if anything, I guess...

zwoti
10-28-2005, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by no mulier
Do you know any good books that feature expansive material on horror films? Well, I found one from the library. It's called the Aurum Film Encyclopedia: Horror.

a superior tome

i have no life
10-28-2005, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by no mulier

I will definately check it out. :)

gorefreak
10-28-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by ChEEbA
Oh, and I'd consider it a "horror themed psychological thriller", if anything, I guess...
Exactly.... "horror themed" psychological thriller. I wasn't into it too much, but still an okay movie.

no mulier
10-31-2005, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by gorefreak
...what would you consider "The Thing" to be?

I agree: The Thing fits better into the Horror genre rather than Science Fiction. John Carpenter did the re-make after the 1951 Howard Hawks production, the Thing from Another World which was loosely based on the science fiction novella by John Campbell, Jr. entitled "Who goes there".

If I remember correctly, John Carpenter wanted his re-make to be closer to the novella. Not having ever read it, I don't have any basis for saying how close it is. However, his unique approach to the film is the key element that brings it closer to Horror than Science Fiction.

The fact that they are dealing with an alien being that mimics what it absorbs into itself, this is certainly Science Fiction. But John goes further and brings conflict and paranoia into the equation, among the characters in the film. They are not only isolated from the world, they are also isolated from each other and don't know who they can trust.

The theme of isolation and paranoia, coupled with the virtually indestructible enemy within (furthermore, as a metaphor or commentary on the strange new disease in the blood - AIDS) brings this film to a whole new level of horror.

I'm glad that cinephiles are beginning to take notice of this film, compared to its time of release. It is indeed one of John Carpenter's best.

gorefreak
10-31-2005, 05:11 AM
Yeah, "The Thing" is a good movie. The original 1950's movie hardly showed the alien, and it was like a vegetable based creature that needed to subsist on blood. Okay plotline, but I like the isolation-paranoia/distrust-anger type atmosphere Carpenter created in his remake. No campiness, no one-liners, just a straight forward horror film that is now a classic. :)

Jacob Singer
10-31-2005, 05:19 AM
Absolutly agree with you guys.....the Thing is a modern clasic , and for me one of the best works of J. Carpenter. And I love the OST of Ennio Morricone (this is the only movie where Carpenter do'nt do the OST)

Tat2
11-01-2005, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by ChEEbA

Anyways, whatever...To sort it out, what happened at the end was, the ship was heading back, or getting pulled back towards the "hell" dimension, The captain (Laurence Fishburn) Blew up a section of the ship, trapping himself and the doctor guy (Neill) on the side bound for that dimension, leaving TWO survivors on the other side to escape. It was a girl, and a guy who had been unconscious for most of the film after an almost possession-like incident had him open an airlock without a spacesuit.
The female wakes up, and sees the evil doctor guy with his face all fucked up,but it's only a dream, a rescue team retreives the two people when she ACTUALLY wakes up.

You are correct up to the survivors. There were THREE at the end... The Female (Peters), The Injured Team member (Justin aka, baby bear) and the black team member (Cooper).

giallobelly
11-05-2005, 03:42 PM
This movie is crazy - I love it! It looked to me like another boring sci-fi movie but the shit gets sick up in it. I was surprised.

PR3SSUR3
11-07-2005, 08:31 AM
Film makers make films. It is the critics -- and in this case, cinephiles -- who worry about genre

Quite correct - perhaps if one can't summon up the energy and/or talent to actually make a film, then obsessively organising and labelling everyone else's is the next best thing.

nova
07-14-2006, 09:27 PM
i just watched this movie and i must say, i loved it but it leaves alittle too much to the imagination. when the movie ended, i was think damn i want to see more!

i wanted to see the other side of hell. this movie will make you think long and hard for awhile! made me sign up on a horror forum.

i remember watching a jack van impe show and he gives his opinion on where hell is. he says that it may be in a black hole that has engulfed billions and trillions of stars thus creating astronomical heat.

fuck i wanted to see more of this movie! there needs to be a sequel, i dont care if that shit goes straight to video i just want to see more of this same story line and plot. i havent watched the deleted scenes and i believe its got an alternate ending. i havent touched the bonus feature.

i consider myself a horror buff and this movie blows away any slasher, zombie, monster flick that ive seen in a long time!

Angelakillsluts
07-14-2006, 10:02 PM
You just reminded me that I lent that movie to someone and never got it back. :( Great movie, I liked how they left a lot up to your imagination.

welcome to the forum :)

(also modern horror section for threads about horror movies made in the 70's and up.)

AUSTIN316426808
07-14-2006, 10:08 PM
If you show it then some people are gonna think it's good, some are gonna think it's stupid and some are just gonna look at it and say..''meh whatever''. If you leave it to the imagination then everybody can individually come up with thier own and it'll be the worst possible thing he or she can imagine which can effect everybody to the same degree.

anyway...welcome to hdc.

Dude Guadalupe
07-15-2006, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by AUSTIN316426808
If you show it then some people are gonna think it's good, some are gonna think it's stupid and some are just gonna look at it and say..''meh whatever''. If you leave it to the imagination then everybody can individually come up with thier own and it'll be the worst possible thing he or she can imagine which can effect everybody to the same degree.

The best books are written that way too.

@nova: Welcome

PR3SSUR3
07-15-2006, 04:05 AM
That parting's definitely unbalanced.

Shady
01-31-2008, 03:57 PM
Sorry if there is already a thread concerning this but the "Search" button is not working for me. After reading this plot "A rescue crew investigates a spaceship that disappeared into a black hole and has now returned...with someone or something new on-board." I can only think of some rip-off of Alien or something of that sort. I read that this was disturbing and scary as hell but by the plot I don't see how. Could someone elaborate on why everyone says this movie is scary and disturbing. Debating on whether I should netflix this or not.

azor666
01-31-2008, 04:41 PM
Event Horizon is definitely not an aliens rip off. I think it is a rather original sci-fi/horror movie. I has a touch of the supernatural in it, ala hellraiser. I've always found it disturbing, but it's hard to say why without revealing too much info. There's blood and guts, but also hallucinations and supernatural horror. One of my favs. definitely worth a look,

g

Roderick Usher
01-31-2008, 04:56 PM
skip it, it sucks ass

the concept is great, but Paul W.S. Anderson manages to fuck it up... big surprise

It's a haunted house on a spaceship... but not as cool as that description might lead you to believe. Some people love it. Some people drink their own urine. To each his own, but I'd say avoid Event Horizon at all costs.

fortunato
01-31-2008, 05:58 PM
yeah, it'd say skip it, too.

it sounds cool, and at the beginning it seems cool, but you find yourself becoming increasingly bored throughout.

Vodstok
01-31-2008, 10:00 PM
the basic concept is actiually ripped more from Doom (the game) than anything:

Teleportation technology opens a gate to Hell.

it is a direct rip off, to the point where it had more to do with the doom game than the doom movie did.

It is an interesting mix of casting choices. some excellent (sam niel, sean pertwee, jason issacs, morpheus)

and some truly retarded ones. does anyone not want to hit that blonde freak from dead at 21 in the face with a shovel? i cant stand him anyway, then to have to losten to him get called "baby bear" throught eh whole fucking movie.....

I fyou think that rant is bad, you should find my thread about the dungeons and dragons movie :)

Smackytherabbit
02-01-2008, 12:40 AM
IMO this is a good movie. One of the few Hollywood horror movies i can stand to watch. Some of the acting was pretty bad and the dialog could have been better but for the most part it was good. Definitely worth a watch if you have not seen it.

For those who think it is a rip off of doom, think again.
It took 5 years for him to sell the script to a production company and spent nearly 2 years in production before its 1997 release. placing it roughly 3 years before Doom.

Also the idea of Event Horizon is fairly well known and commonly theorized.
EH basically the idea that a black hole can transport you to another time, tear space, fold space and transport you to another area of the universe, another dimension, or for those who are religious.... send you to hell. All of which have been written about long before either doom or the movie. Given the mans body of work, even if it was written after the Doom video game was released i would still have to say that he took it from scientific theories and ideas.

_____V_____
02-01-2008, 02:07 AM
Its one of the best the 90s produced, IMO. And its ABSOLUTELY NOT an Alien rip-off!

Granted, Paul W Anderson was raw at that time, but the script and the pacing of the movie was really good. The characterisation left much to be desired, except for Dr Weir and Capt Miller. The cinematography was excellent and claustrophobic, and I thought technically, it was a superior movie. All in all...a nice blend of sci-fi horror.

I highly recommend it. One of those movies people have love-hate relationship with, but it has always entertained me to the fullest the 20-odd times I have watched it till now.

colubrid660
02-01-2008, 05:32 AM
the concept is great, but Paul W.S. Anderson manages to fuck it up... big surprise

Despite the fact that yes, Anderson could fuck up nearly any good idea, its still worth a shot to see if you like it or hate it. I personally thought it was pretty good.

ChronoGrl
02-01-2008, 06:08 AM
Wow... I had no idea that so many people were hating on Event Horizon.

That makes me sad.

Honestly, it's not a perfect movie, but I agree with V that it is definitely a standout movie, and is one of my all-time favorite movies - both in the science fiction genre as well as horror.

Points to note:

This is not an Alien rip-off. While, yes, the crew is on a salvage mission, the "horror" of the film is not monster or slasher.
This is not a Doom rip-off. While, conceptually, both movies consider the possibility of resurrecting a Hell dimension, Doom would fall under the "siege" genre and be closer to Aliens as opposed to Alien or Event Horizon. Conceivably, Hellraiser revolves around a Hell dimension, but is not comparable to either Doom or Event Horizon within its horror genre.
As Rod said, Event Horizon can be categorized under the "haunted house" genre (as can Alien, for that matter). However, I take no issue with the archetype of the "haunted house" being taken into space. What is uniquely interesting about space films is that they are ultimately and incredibly Nihilistic. Most religions believing in God consider "God" being "beyond Earth." In space, you are literally "beyond Earth," and there is literally nothing but you, so you are either alone or you are God. It's incredibly alienating and incredibly isolating. What is wonderful about Event Horizon is that it uses super natural elements to emphasize this isolation.
What specifically separates Event Horizon from Alien (aside from the obvious; monster vs. super natural) is that the "horror" in Event Horizon is "human atrocity," which includes emotional "disturbing" horror as well as torture.
I have very little problem with the direction. While some aspects of the movie (the ship, in particular), are utterly ridiculous, you either suspend your disbelief or no. I was able to suspend my disbelief, but I can see why that would be difficult for some.

In short, gentle n00b, you should give this movie a try. The fact of the matter is, you're debating whether or not you should Netflix it. If you love it, great. If you hate it, send it back. What's great about Netflix is, amazingly enough, you don't feel like quite as much of a douche when you rent something errantly. You're not out $5, as you would if you had rented it from Blockbuster. So suck up the indecision and just do it.

colubrid660
02-01-2008, 09:25 AM
As Rod said, Event Horizon can be categorized under the "haunted house" genre (as can Alien, for that matter). However, I take no issue with the archetype of the "haunted house" being taken into space. What is uniquely interesting about space films is that they are ultimately and incredibly Nihilistic. Most religions believing in God consider "God" being "beyond Earth." In space, you are literally "beyond Earth," and there is literally nothing but you, so you are either alone or you are God. It's incredibly alienating and incredibly isolating. What is wonderful about Event Horizon is that it uses super natural elements to emphasize this isolation.

Excellent post, ChronoGirl, I couldn't agree more.

Disease
02-01-2008, 10:08 AM
I think you should watch it if you haven't seen it, definatley, it's not a masterpiece but it is still a good ride.

Kemal
02-01-2008, 01:20 PM
It wasn't really scary at all.

Someone else should take a stab at the idea.

Angra
02-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Seriously Shady. Compared to Danny Boyle's "Sunshine", Event Horizon is a fucking classic.

So if you digged Sunshine you should definitely give Event a chance. ;)

jenna26
02-01-2008, 02:37 PM
I don't really remember much about this movie at all, I need to rewatch it sometime. I might have blocked it out, or it might just be that I watch way too many movies. ;)

Psycom5k
02-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Well... with nothing really more to add besides the fact that uts kinda like the move Sphere(concept-wise), I like it, and I do watch it occasionally still.

Angra
02-01-2008, 02:48 PM
I don't really remember much about this movie at all, I need to rewatch it sometime. I might have blocked it out, or it might just be that I watch way too many movies. ;)

Do you often read books and watch movies at the same time, Jen?

That would explain so much. :D

jenna26
02-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Do you often read books and watch movies at the same time, Jen?

That would explain so much. :D

No, I do not. :p I actually saw this one in the theater. But I often have a bad time when I actually venture out and see a film in a theater. Again, that whole people are annoying factor....;) And I haven't watched it since. That I remember.

Angra
02-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Me neither. Public people sucks.

Last time i was at the cinema was when Peter Jacksons "King Kong" had premiere... And it sucked.

ChronoGrl
02-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Excellent post, ChronoGirl, I couldn't agree more.

Thankee. It's actually a theme that I wish was explored more in the scifi/outer space genre.

Seriously Shady. Compared to Danny Boyle's "Sunshine", Event Horizon is a fucking classic.

So if you digged Sunshine you should definitely give Event a chance.

I couldn't agree more. Sunshine was a total wash... Amazing direction, interesting concepts, but otherwise... Completely borrowed from Every. Other. SciFi. Ever. And the dialogue, at times, was just simply... abysmal.

Roderick Usher
02-01-2008, 08:34 PM

So if you digged Sunshine you should definitely give Event a chance. ;)

I fucking LOVED Sunshine and can't stand Event Horizon

Disease
02-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Sunshine had a better score, perhaps thats the difference, but I wasn't overly impressed with either, I thought they both had flaws.....

Angra
02-02-2008, 10:16 AM
I fucking LOVED Sunshine and can't stand Event Horizon

Yea, and i don't get that.

I don't see what there is to like about Sunshine? Thought especially the direction was horrendous. Kept having a helluva time tryin to figure out where the folks where inside and outside of the spaceship. VERY confusing.

And the build up took forever. :rolleyes:

colubrid660
02-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Thankee. It's actually a theme that I wish was explored more in the scifi/outer space genre.

I think the only reason its not, is that its a hard concept for the general public to digest. Alien worked because there was simply a monster stalking people through a ship. A lot of time I try to explain why the film is so terrifying to me (its pure and utter loneliness all the way out there by the Acheron system, and its just you, and 6 others on a huge ship. Damn), and most people don't get it. I have always thought space was scary, its sheer vastness and possibilies inconcievable.

Even Horizon, on the other hand, is scary the same way a Clive Barker novel is scary. The fact that it sort of borrows the setting from Alien (which itself is nothing new, horror set in spaceships was done in some early horror films) serves to make it even more tense. It seens influenced by Barker in its concept of damnation and the idea of other worlds underlying our own, but don't simply think of it as "Hellraiser" in space (thats Hellraiser: Bloodline). Despite having Anderson at the helm, its a very good movie, and one of the scariest films made in the late 90's.

Castlewood
02-04-2008, 05:33 AM
I don't understand why people don't like Event Horizon.... this is Horror.com... how can you NOT love it?? It's a classic.

- Totally not Alien at all. Whoever says that needs their head examined.

- The images stay with you long after you're done watching it.

- For christ's sakes, there's a fucking scene where people are eating each other, one guy slams his fist down another person's throat, and then another guy pulls his own eyes out and holds them in his hands up to the camera as if he's "looking" at us. If that scene isn't horror, I don't know what is.

And Sunshine fucking sucked. I think it's a poor imitation of Event Horizon. Same concept, same situations... hell, they even have the same burnt character who kills people on the ship. It's almost TOO obvious that a lot of things were taken from Event Horizon... so I'm not too happy with Boyle for that. It's his most unoriginal and flat movie ever. I just couldn't find myself caring at all.

And if you watch both movies back to back... you have to admit... there are some very uncomfortable similarities going on.

Angra
02-04-2008, 12:54 PM
And Sunshine fucking sucked. I think it's a poor imitation of Event Horizon. Same concept, same situations... hell, they even have the same burnt character who kills people on the ship. It's almost TOO obvious that a lot of things were taken from Event Horizon... so I'm not too happy with Boyle for that. It's his most unoriginal and flat movie ever. I just couldn't find myself caring at all.

How the hell did you manage to catch all that?

You stoped, rewind and watched the scene in slow-motion, didn't ya, you sicko? ;)

That's what I did.

Castlewood
02-04-2008, 05:27 PM
How the hell did you manage to catch all that?

You stoped, rewind and watched the scene in slow-motion, didn't ya, you sicko? ;)

That's what I did.

Hell yes. I won't deny it.

Angra
02-04-2008, 11:12 PM
Hell yes. I won't deny it.

:D

Excellent

horrorchic
02-05-2008, 04:19 AM
Sorry if there is already a thread concerning this but the "Search" button is not working for me. After reading this plot "A rescue crew investigates a spaceship that disappeared into a black hole and has now returned...with someone or something new on-board." I can only think of some rip-off of Alien or something of that sort. I read that this was disturbing and scary as hell but by the plot I don't see how. Could someone elaborate on why everyone says this movie is scary and disturbing. Debating on whether I should netflix this or not.

Watch it. It's worth it. I think that it is one of the greatest splice between sci-fi and horror. Won't know till you give it a try yourself though. I vote for you to watch it.

It is disturbing and takes the main charater through a blender. <-- not literally.

Vodstok
02-05-2008, 06:20 AM
I don't understand why people don't like Event Horizon.... this is Horror.com... how can you NOT love it?? It's a classic.

- Totally not Alien at all. Whoever says that needs their head examined.

- The images stay with you long after you're done watching it.

- For christ's sakes, there's a fucking scene where people are eating each other, one guy slams his fist down another person's throat, and then another guy pulls his own eyes out and holds them in his hands up to the camera as if he's "looking" at us. If that scene isn't horror, I don't know what is.

Event Horizon is pretty indicative of most of Paul W Andersons stuff, great ideas, sometimes great actors, even great special effects, yet somehow, he manages to make them not work. I love half the actors in Event Horizon, and yet i didnt feel a thing for any of the characters. He tried to make me care, but just couldnt pull it off.

athena3182
02-06-2008, 04:28 AM
it is nothing like aliens as there are no aliens in the movie. there are supernatural other dimension type things going on and basically people dealing with their own demons. i liked it and found some parts disturbing which is saying a lot because i've seen plenty of horror movies and i'm always looking for something that is going to disturb me. check it out worst that can happen is you won't like it

colubrid660
02-06-2008, 05:29 AM
Event Horizon is pretty indicative of most of Paul W Andersons stuff, great ideas, sometimes great actors, even great special effects, yet somehow, he manages to make them not work. I love half the actors in Event Horizon, and yet i didnt feel a thing for any of the characters. He tried to make me care, but just couldnt pull it off.

Yeah, maybe thats the only flaw I saw in this. Its still worth seeing though.

Elliot Robertson
09-25-2010, 04:12 PM
I just checked out the film 'Event Horizon' directed by Paul Anderson (Alien v.s Predator, Resident Evil) starring Laurence Fishburne and Sam Neill and well, I enjoyed it.

The film is set in the year 2047, a search and rescue team is sent out to find the long-lost ship the "Event Horizon" that dissapeared shortly after it's maiden voyage.

The film launches you stright into the entanglement of mystery as the crew find and board the Event Horizon, you're quickly asking questions as the crew find mysterious things aboard the Event Horizon. The film is like the sci-fi version of "The Shining" as you're led on a voyage of psycological sci-fi mystery...

Sadly the mysterious brilliance is not upheld long as quickly the film takes a turn into classical hollywood repetetive nonsense. However, the creepy noises hang on the edge of the annoying final moments of the film.

The Horror aspect was up and down. I enjoyed some parts while others were too corny and laugh-worthy.

The film however offers quite a handful of pretty scary moments. I'd reccomend it to most of you out there that can ignore some corny moments.

My Overall Rating: 6.8/10
My Horror Rating: 7/10
IMDB's Rating: 6.3/10

Scythe
09-25-2010, 06:32 PM
I used to love this movie.

When it first came out in theaters, I tried to sneak in but got caught and was forced to watch the real movie I bought a ticket for...George of the Jungle.

When I finally did get around to seeing it though, I thought it was terrifying. I actually thought it was the scariest movie I had ever seen.

I saw it again recently on HBO, and although it wasn't as good as I once remembered it being, it still held up pretty well.

I've seen it a couple time's since, and it is an entertaining watch.

You are right though in saying that it eventually evolves into typical Hollywood nonsense. It started off great and slowly went downhill.

In the end though, I think your rating is a nice ballpark figure.

I'd give it a 6/10.

Elliot Robertson
09-26-2010, 03:40 AM
When I finally did get around to seeing it though, I thought it was terrifying. I actually thought it was the scariest movie I had ever seen.
It was actually very terrifying from start to end. (something I forgot to put into the review as It was around 3am and I had just finished watching ;) ) As the film draws to an end though I felt they lost it when they could've made it alot better. Thanks for the Reply.

siorai
09-27-2010, 09:02 AM
I really want to love this movie. There just aren't enough sci-fi horror movies out there. I even watch it every year or so to see if I've magically come to like it. But it never happens. For me, Event Horizon has so much potential, but never attains any of it. The scariest part of the whole movie is the few seconds of audio that they play from when the ship was in the other dimension. It was so raw and intense it gets me every time. But that's it. Nothing else in this movie scares me at all. All the hallucinations are laughable and downright silly. I found that Sam Neill (don't even get me started on how terrible this guy is) at the end was such a rip-off of the doctor in Hellraiser II once he became a cenobite that I just sit there wondering if the makers of Event Horizon thought that nobody had actually seen Hellraiser II.

And yet, even though I hate the film, I still end up watching it again regularly. At least now I can alternate between this and Pandorum which is another that I hated, but will still sadly watch just to get my sci-fi horror fix.

Elliot Robertson
09-30-2010, 07:06 AM
Nothing else in this movie scares me at all.
I agree, are you referring to the "blood orgy" scene? If you are then I agree completely.

All the hallucinations are laughable and downright silly.
Especially the first scream... Oh my... I couldn't stop laughing...

I still end up watching it again regularly
Barr all the crap the film comes packaged with it still turns out a pretty decent horror. I enjoyed it... but it wasn't nearly as good as some of the Horrors I've seen.

siorai
09-30-2010, 07:21 AM
I agree, are you referring to the "blood orgy" scene? If you are then I agree completely.

Especially the first scream... Oh my... I couldn't stop laughing...

Barr all the crap the film comes packaged with it still turns out a pretty decent horror. I enjoyed it... but it wasn't nearly as good as some of the Horrors I've seen.

Not the video. Just the audio. If I remember right, there's only a very short glimpse of the video, but you hear it for a much longer period. The video in my mind didn't really do much for me. It seemed all too typical. Chaos/hell always has to be writhing bodies and blood doesn't it? Couldn't they be a bit more original? The audio on the other hand leaves the viewer's mind to fill in the rest which of course will always be far more terrifying than anything visual.

You realize you're making me want to watch it again now. Damn you. I'll probably have to make it a double-feature with Pandorum and get both out of my system at once.

Elliot Robertson
09-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Not the video. Just the audio. If I remember right, there's only a very short glimpse of the video, but you hear it for a much longer period.
The creepy latin guy? Yeah, I agree. In that distorted voice talking about save me from hell... that is among one of the scariest, if not the, moments of the film.

But Yeah, Event Horizon now lies on my top 50 Horror Movies list. And that ain't no mainstream list!

ShankS
10-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Shame a version with the cut and edited out parts included as a full film, was never released... I spent months reading the speculation and hoping they'd release a full special edition.

_____V_____
10-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Shame a version with the cut and edited out parts included as a full film, was never released... I spent months reading the speculation and hoping they'd release a full special edition.

Haha I knew this thread might bring you out, Shanksy. :D

Yeah, from the descriptions I read, a full uncut and unrated edition would have kicked some serious ass. Too bad all that stuff is lost now.

ShankS
10-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Haha I knew this thread might bring you out, Shanksy. :D

Yeah, from the descriptions I read, a full uncut and unrated edition would have kicked some serious ass. Too bad all that stuff is lost now.

hehe :D

I did get the limited edition dvd version with the big case and dts :D... kind of made up for no full film.

Elliot Robertson
10-06-2010, 06:54 AM
What problems seriously rise from allowing more shocking stuff into the film!? I really hate people who whine and moan about showing shocking things nowadays. If you don't like it, don't watch. If they'd of brought out a full uncut version, then yeah, that would be amazing.

Another thing, a classic, The Exorcist, got it's number one spot from using shock tactics. If we can't push the border anymore, don't expect some awesome horrors.

ShankS
10-06-2010, 08:03 AM
There's always gona be the people who watch these sort of horors, with the intention of exclaiming "OMG WTF!!! THATS OBSCENE!!" and then start demented shreeking that they should never be produced, directed and released.

More gore the better is all I say :D

Elliot Robertson
10-06-2010, 09:41 AM
There's always gona be the people who watch these sort of horors, with the intention of exclaiming "OMG WTF!!! THATS OBSCENE!!" and then start demented shreeking that they should never be produced, directed and released.

More gore the better is all I say :D

Not necessarily gore, something we all feel is shocking. Something that's not right relative to nowadays. Like back in the 70's, no one had ever seen something like the exorcist.

Nowadays a movie comes along and whiners feel the need to shear the crap out of it until only suitable things are left...

horcrux2007
08-29-2014, 03:16 PM
Couldn't find a thread about Event Horizon, so my question is... well, I've seen a lot of people say that Event Horizon is one of the scariest movies they've ever seen. How? I didn't find any suspense in the movie, and, for the most part, the "scares" was stuff appearing behind people. The Visions of Hell sequence was rather cool, and the production design and cinematography were amazing, though. Also, I couldn't believe the explanation of why the ship is the way it is at all. I do like how it's like The Shining in space, but really? A black hole leads to hell? I really just can't believe that because none of the movie never really lead up to something sort of off-the-wall like that.

Baron Von Marlon
08-29-2014, 05:15 PM
I don't find it scary but I think it's a brilliant movie.

From what I remember the ship has been lost in the deepest regions of space and those regions resemble some sort of Hell.
Ship came back from Hell and brought some Evil with it.
Evil possesses people in order to open the gateway and unleash Hell.
Or something like that.