PDA

View Full Version : I Spit on Your Grave... Horror or Bad Taste?

spoon
12-05-2003, 01:08 PM
I Spit on Your Grave is a very controvercial "rape revenge" movie released in 1977 that still circulates & is also on DVD. :confused: It was also titled Day Of The Woman. I've read some message boards & reviews that claim that any person who liked this movie is SICK! So.... what do you think?

avenger00soul
12-05-2003, 01:50 PM
I think it's an exploitation film...no more, no less. I don't think that if you enjoyed it you are sick however. I mean, it's just a movie. I personally don't think it lived up to its hype.

dmihatmttl
12-05-2003, 02:12 PM
I think it walks a *very* fine line. I felt dirty watching it, but at the same time enjoyed the main character's revenge against her rapists.

Well, "enjoyed" may not be the right word. I liked the movie, for the most part, though I don't think it's a classic (or one of my personal favorites) by any means. I'd buy it, probably, but I'm not in any big hurry to do so.

J.N.
http://members.tripod.com/~NEWMANATOR/index.html

damien
12-06-2003, 04:20 PM
ive seen this one at the store but never rented it ill have to chek i out. i thought the last house on the left was disturbing so ill have to chek this out.

MichaelMyers
12-06-2003, 05:46 PM
Once you start limiting creative-artistic expression, you start telling people what they can and can't watch, what they can and can't say.....I don't know about you guys, but I don't want that day to come. You ever read "1984"?

Arioch
12-06-2003, 06:40 PM
Once you start limiting creative-artistic expression, you start telling people what they can and can't watch, what they can and can't say.....I don't know about you guys, but I don't want that day to come. You ever read "1984"?

Ya fuck that. I liked the movie, like you guys said its not a classic nor something everyone should see. But i thought it was a decent exploitation movie like avenger said, guess that makes me one of the "sick" ones huh:rolleyes:

devilsbackbone
12-06-2003, 08:59 PM
i'll check it out! how sick is it?:confused:

Arioch
12-06-2003, 09:48 PM
its at LEAST "last house on the left" grafic. Pretty nice

abbycomix
12-07-2003, 09:22 AM
I don't plan on seeing it because it seems a little close to 'true horror' for my taste. I like my horror more far-fetched or silly. But I do know a rape survivor who enjoyed that and another rape revenge, Ms. 45 strictly for the revenge parts. It took her many years after her rape to get up the fortitude to watch them though. I think she found it almost therapeutic.
No doubt, rape will screw you up for life, frankly I think there should be capitol punishment or life impisonments for rape and child molestation, not this revolving prison door b.s.
That said, it is just a movie, I don't think people liking movies is sick, but I would probably think twice about hanging out alone with somebody who was overly obsessed with watching 'I spit on your grave', 'deliverance', 'last house', etc. and found them to be turn-ons. From what i understand the point of the movie is the big payoff where she takes her revenge. I don't think it's meant to glamourize rape.
Rape is one of the worst true horrors out there that unfortunately happens all the time. Making movies that show the true horror of it is controversial, sexual assault/molestation is one of those shameful things that mainstream society wants to sweep under the rug, but silence will never help solve the problem. So we're better off with movies that do show the true horror of it. I probably wouldn't watch them (or war movies for that matter) for entertainment though. I like it a bit lighter.

dmihatmttl
12-07-2003, 11:38 AM
Well said, abbycomix. I totally agree with everything you said . . . .

Especially the part about life imprisonment for child molestors/rapists. The victim is screwed up for life -- hence the perpetrator should be as well, dammit.

James N.

abbycomix
12-07-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by dmihatmttl
Well said, abbycomix. I totally agree with everything you said . . . .

Especially the part about life imprisonment for child molestors/rapists. The victim is screwed up for life -- hence the perpetrator should be as well, dammit.

James N.

Thanks! I felt so serious typing about it on an entertainment board, but felt I had to. I just don't get why the legal system is so light on these offenders who almost always repeat once they're out. Then they're so harsh on people holding small amounts of pot and trivial crap like that. Oy!

damien
12-09-2003, 05:32 PM
i finally rented it today . it wasn't bad. yes it was disturbing but definetly not as disturbing as last house on the left. now what did she to to the guy in the shower scene if she cut off his penis woudnt have he reacted right away? he only started flipping out once he seen the blood.oh i saw a dvd today at blockbuster anyone ever seee it its called body melt. supposed to be done by the same peeps who did dead alive.

avenger00soul
12-11-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by damien
now what did she to to the guy in the shower scene if she cut off his penis woudnt have he reacted right away? he only started flipping out once he seen the blood.

I was wondering the same thing bro.

Ritualistic
12-12-2003, 05:52 PM
I dont think if anyone enjoys this flick they are sick.. that is absurd.. I love this movie and have many copies of it.. and I do agree with avenger it does not live up to its hype.. this is not a film for everyone eighter... but if you like this genre then you will love it.. It is a classic and one of my fav flicks

damien
12-12-2003, 06:50 PM
yeah them fuck's got what they deserved. i actually thought the slow dude was gonna be the nice one and not do anything ............ but i was wrong.

Ritualistic
12-28-2003, 03:25 PM
yeah them fuck's got what they deserved. i actually thought the slow dude was gonna be the nice one and not do anything ............ but i was wrong.

yeah I thought that as well.. BUT I just laughed when he was doing her because he must have had a long skinny dick cause her legs were completely closed ..... LMAO

Dr.Kelvinstein
12-28-2003, 08:58 PM
I like this movie a lot. I'm a big fan of exploitation, and watching this stuff doesn't make me sick. IT'S FAKE!!! I threw away bootlegs of Let Them Die Slowly and Slave of the Cannibal God because real animals were killed on-screen. That's sick. I Spit On Your Grave is just kinda sleazy--a good thing, as far as I'm concerned. Hell of a lot better than watching Kramer Vs Kramer. No one jumps on Deliverance for its anal rape scene. Ah, I forgot...Deliverance has a big budget and known actors.

Camile Keaton said in an interview that she thought the slow guy got what he deserved. She also said that she prefered the original title, Day Of The Woman, and that she would gladly watch this with her feminist friends. Even Carol Clover in Men, Women, and Chainsaws, her feminist-spin on the horror genre, thinks this movie has an undeserved bad rep.

Whew. Off my Soap Box now. I like the I Spit reference in Cabin Fever (the girl in the canoe, followed by the slo-mo freeze of her hips as she walks, almost perfectly recreating the I Spit poster). And speaking of posters...Ritualistic, dude, do you own the poster? If you do, you're one lucky honky mo-fo!!!! It's mucho cool.

The DVD also has a funny commentary track by Joe Bob Briggs!

Distorty
01-05-2004, 02:45 AM
There are plenty of mainstream hollywood blockbuster movies containing graphic rape scenes that never cause a fuss...American History X contains some pretty brutal male rape and no one ever complained about that...I think because "i spit on your grave" falls under the horror genre people automatically jump to the conclusion its wrong...People forget movies are for entertainment and not all entertainment is amusement movies are there to strike emotions whether those emotions be like the ones in I spit on your grave...Im sick of people saying someone is sick for watching horror

Ritualistic
01-09-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Dr.Kelvinstein
Ritualistic, dude, do you own the poster? If you do, you're one lucky honky mo-fo!!!! It's mucho cool.

Nope, unfortunately I dont.. I actually found it one time.. BUT I DIDNT HAVE NO DAMN MONEY..!!! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! I freaking beat myself up all the time about that.. I however do own a 8x10 pic of that infamous poster/movie cover.. i have it framed and it hangs over my bed.. :D

Dr.Kelvinstein
01-09-2004, 10:07 PM
That's cool, Ritualistic. Couldn't think of a better image to fall asleep to. Ass and machete in one frame equals expoitation art.

Crypt Keeper
01-16-2004, 08:01 AM
I have never seen this film but i would like to, a mate has told me quite a lot about it and it does sugest that women can over power men i just hope none of them get the wrong idea lol.;)

buddy
01-16-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by abbycomix
... they're so harsh on people holding small amounts of pot and trivial crap like that. Oy!

ay-f*ckin-men to that! 'victimless crime'

buddy
01-16-2004, 09:45 AM
now what did she to to the guy in the shower scene if she cut off his penis woudnt have he reacted right away? he only started flipping out once he seen the blood.

well i dunno how accurate the filmmakers were trying to be but -not sure if you've heard about this- there's this case in germany right now where a guy volunteered to be killed by another freak. this is true now. they both chopped off the volunteer's knob and cooked and ate it. the perpetrator video recorded all this.. and, apparently, the castrated guy said he shrieked at first but then found the wound to be satisfying and strangely painless. this, i realize, doesn't answer your question at all but thought you might like to read some bizzarro shit! :eek:

Ritualistic
01-16-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by buddy
well i dunno how accurate the filmmakers were trying to be but -not sure if you've heard about this- there's this case in germany right now where a guy volunteered to be killed by another freak. this is true now. they both chopped off the volunteer's knob and cooked and ate it. the perpetrator video recorded all this.. and, apparently, the castrated guy said he shrieked at first but then found the wound to be satisfying and strangely painless. this, i realize, doesn't answer your question at all but thought you might like to read some bizzarro shit! :eek: this has nothing to do with male members but I do know of a case where a man had been scalped with a large piece of metal.. but he didnt know that had happend to him.. he said it just felt like someone tapped him on the head with their hand...

Bub
01-22-2004, 09:05 AM
what did she to to the guy in the shower scene if she cut off his penis woudnt have he reacted right away? he only started flipping out once he seen the blood.

The body is a weird thing, the nerves can only take a certain amount of stimulation before that system stops working.
I have been in a situation where I lost some of my foot and you honestly don't feel it until you see it and then your mind does all the pain giving work, in the same way that a guy that loses an arm can still feel it as if it is there. It's in the mind.
We have all got a small cut and not noticed , then seen it and it suddenly hurts like hell, lol.
So in short if somebody chopped your baby maker off quickly and you didn't feel the blade first so your brain could anticipate it you really wounldn't feel it.
You see people trapped after earthquakes etc talking through gaps in the rubble quite calmly yet when you pull them out their legs are like broken glass.
Weird huh.
I think a weirder thing in the film is after they have introduced themselves in the boat on the lake the first time, book or no book to write, rent paid or not, my brain would be screaming "redneck alert!! Get the feck out of hereeeeeeeee"

As for the film, it really isn't that sick, it's the subject matter that is I guess, the rape scene is hard to watch maybe but only as she does such a good acting job (where as the men don't). It isn't graphic other than her face, imho.
Not a great film but once you have got through the why she wants revenge it makes the revenge that much sweeter and it works well.

I have a question now I think about it, I have the original banned vhs versions of this and Texas Chainsaw, from the 70s, would they be worth anything or has the dvd versions blown that one for me? I've held onto them for 20 years dammit, lol.

Sorry about the essay :)

Sam The Egg
01-22-2004, 12:35 PM
Ebert put it best: A movie is not about what it is about. It is about how it is about it.
A movie can be about, for example, a woman getting brutal revenge on guys for raping her, involving castration among other things. Might sound awful to the average movie-goer, right? But the movie its self could take that potential pseudo-snuff and make a great movie out of it. Violence isn't art, but art can be violent. That being said, I Spit On Your Grave sucked ass.

60's and earlier. Not 60's and earlier and whatever you feel like.

StepfatherFan
01-23-2004, 02:14 PM
Hey, I LIKED I Spit On Your Grave. Exploitative? NO Not even. The castration scene was great. Although, I would have gotten some use out of "it";) before I cut it off. I really like revenge movies. I feel that Spit is far better than Last House.

Sam The Egg
01-23-2004, 02:17 PM
Acting, writing, cinematography, all shitty. Just because she's raped doesn't mean I care about her, and I didn't.

StepfatherFan
01-23-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Sam The Egg
Acting, writing, cinematography, all shitty. Just because she's raped doesn't mean I care about her, and I didn't.

I don't think you care about anything except yourself, oh and Roger Rabbit. So, when is the wedding?

Sam The Egg
01-23-2004, 06:55 PM
OMG A DIFFERENT OPINION! LYNCH HIM!
Don't you have to go masturbate to Teddy O'Gillian or something? Why don't you whore your kids out to the local pedophile so you can save up to go meet him?

StepfatherFan
01-23-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Sam The Egg
OMG A DIFFERENT OPINION! LYNCH HIM!
Don't you have to go masturbate to Teddy O'Gillian or something? Why don't you whore your kids out to the local pedophile so you can save up to go meet him?

Why on earth would I want to follow in the footsteps of your mother? Its obvious that something happened to you in order for you to have became such a "bad egg". Oh, and his last name is O'Quinn. And it would be a mortal sin for his name and yours to be mentioned in the same sentence. By the way, your the big masturbater around here. You and your "stiff, cumstained towel" that your always mentioning. As if anybody wants to hear about that shit. Its interesting how you think that your allowed to have a different opinion, and yet nobody else is allowed that privilage. Being a cruel bastard had nothing to do with different opinions. Your day of judgement is coming very soon. Oh, and yes, there is an angry lynch mob forming here. You can only burn so many bridges until it comes back to bite you in the ass. Enjoy the next few days of sleazy behavior on here, they will be your last.

Sam The Egg
02-01-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by StepfatherFan
Why on earth would I want to follow in the footsteps of your mother? Its obvious that something happened to you in order for you to have became such a "bad egg". Oh, and his last name is O'Quinn. And it would be a mortal sin for his name and yours to be mentioned in the same sentence. By the way, your the big masturbater around here. You and your "stiff, cumstained towel" that your always mentioning. As if anybody wants to hear about that shit. Its interesting how you think that your allowed to have a different opinion, and yet nobody else is allowed that privilage. Being a cruel bastard had nothing to do with different opinions. Your day of judgement is coming very soon. Oh, and yes, there is an angry lynch mob forming here. You can only burn so many bridges until it comes back to bite you in the ass. Enjoy the next few days of sleazy behavior on here, they will be your last.

Ouch, that would hurt if I hadn't built up an immunity to your shit after all your man-hating. Actually, it still wouldn't hurt. There's a lynch mob forming here? Look around you, the people who dislike me are quickly becoming the minority.

alixzander
02-01-2004, 03:14 PM
i don't think i like you eaither. can 2 people be an angry mob?

Sam The Egg
02-01-2004, 03:35 PM
no

kpropain
02-07-2004, 04:41 AM
I think SFF had a similar experience to I spit on your grave and it explains her combat boot wering femi-nazi ass.

orangestar
02-08-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Distorty
There are plenty of mainstream hollywood blockbuster movies containing graphic rape scenes that never cause a fuss...American History X contains some pretty brutal male rape and no one ever complained about that...I think because "i spit on your grave" falls under the horror genre people automatically jump to the conclusion its wrong...People forget movies are for entertainment and not all entertainment is amusement movies are there to strike emotions whether those emotions be like the ones in I spit on your grave...Im sick of people saying someone is sick for watching horror

I totally agree with all of that. I actually just watched American History X, and I LOVED it! I think the rape scenes are equally brutal, but since AHX is more drama than horror, it is not looked at as bad.

I own I Spit On your Grave, and I think it is a good quality rape revenge movie. If you compare it to other horror movies, it is only mildly gory. but Rape gives it a bad name.

Sam The Egg
02-08-2004, 04:44 PM
speaking of rape revenge, anybody seen Lady Dragon 2?