PDA

View Full Version : screenplay format

g star
07-27-2005, 01:43 PM
i wrote my most recent screenplay in a program called "celtx" that i actually believe i found in this forum somewhere. anyway, i'd like to be able to send it to people for critique and suggestions but whenever i try to paste it into another program (i.e. word) i lose the format. character names, scene descriptions and dialogue all move to the far left of the screen. does anybody know how i can share my work with others without losing the format? i'm definitely don't want to print out two dozen copies and snail mail them.

g star
07-27-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by g star
i'm definitely don't want to print out two dozen copies and snail mail them.

correction: I definitely don't want.....

sorry, as a writer i'm kind of anal about grammer and if i didn't correct that it would drive me nuts all the way to the grave. now that i've said that, feel free to flame me for saying i'm anal about grammar meanwhile i never use capital letters. there's nothing worse than a hypocrite.

anyway, about my screenplay format question......

Little Angel
07-30-2005, 04:22 AM
G-Star,

I don't know about celtx, but if you give me more information, I can try to help you out.

Can you make a .pdf file from that software? Certain platforms allow .pdf creation as a default printer output. This option will (should?) retain your formatting and protect your data by making it a little more difficult to edit.

If you are serious about your work and have a credit card and a couple of bucks, you might want to register the script with the writer's guild <http://www.wga.org/>. Follow the links from the main page.

If you are using MS Word is your main piece of software, I can try to get some Word templates to you that might make it easier. You may lose your formatting, but once in Word you'd be able to reformat quickly with style-sheets.

Hope this is helpful...

g star
07-30-2005, 04:33 PM
L.A.

thanks for the response. perhaps you could give me a step by step on how i can find out about this .pdf thing (sorry, i'm okay with computers but have a lot to learn).

i don't have msword, i have word perfect. would your templates work in WP?

Lamoreux
07-31-2005, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Little Angel
... If you are serious about your work and have a credit card and a couple of bucks, you might want to register the script with the writer's guild <http://www.wga.org/>. Follow the links from the main page....

Whether you have a credit card or not, when you decide you're going to write screenplay's for real, you'll have to register your works with WGA. Agents, producers, studios, et al won't read them otherwise. You can do it by snail mail as well. (Not trying to plug the guild, but registration is just a fact of life.)

We already talked, G, but for anyone else interested, you need to avoid specialty "scriptwriting" software if you can help it. Final Draft or good ol' Word are your best bets. Both are acceptable as electronic submissions with the WGA and the files can be read by most folks you want to read them.

It's also a good idea NOT to show your script to too many people, if you're writing to make a living. If you're just writing to have fun, then have at. But if you're serious, keep your words close to the vest. And don't show anyone until you register your script.

Little Angel
08-01-2005, 01:47 AM
I don't have any word perfect templates, but if WP is anything like MSW, you should be able to get your head around style sheets. I made my first set in Word 4 o_O! and you can (or could) like Final Draft (what I use now) set "next style" to a style sheet so:

Scene Heading goes to Action
Action goes to Action
Character goes to Dialogue
Dialogue goes to Character
Paranthetical goes to Character

etc

I also found that search and replace were my friend. When I was writing fast I'd make special search strings like **G for George and **S for sally - or whatever. Something Unique - and then I'd replace them all later with either the Location, the INT/EXT or the character name just to keep things moving fast.

Once style sheets are set up, and the text is imported, you should be able to just click on a paragraph and assign a style. This will take a little bit of time to reformat, but even with 120 p's you should go thru that pretty fast.

OBTW - My guess is that the software you have may prevent exporting formatted text just to prevent you from changing software.

Little Angel
08-01-2005, 01:50 AM
PDF Files:

I don't know how Bill Gates is progressing, but Steve Jobs has added a button in OSX that allows "save as .pdf" in the print window as one of the "out put options". There is also "save as preview" which does the same thing.

Is there any thing like that on Windows? Look in the print windows and as a WinTel guru. There should be some sort of parity for that.

Worst case scenario is to find a copy of Acrobat (not the reader) and that should be able to save the file formatted into a .pdf file.

Any WinTel gurus out there?

Splotch
08-01-2005, 08:48 AM
Two bits...

Final Draft. Buy it, learn it, love it. Its all you will need. Its worth the money. Import your word document into it, then clean it up. Never worry about this problem again.

or...

Purchase Adobe Acrobat (not reader) and create your own .pdf documents and create a secure webpage that people can log into to read your work.

Be sure to rewrite the script at least two or three times before submitting for review.

WGA registration is a good habit, but studios interested in reading your work will have you sign a release indemnifying them against any action if they should have anything that is similar or exactly the same as what you submit. Bottom line is: don't sign it, they won't read it. Steven Spielberg once told me "If you write great scripts, don't worry, we'll find you." Write your best work and get it out there.

PPC
08-23-2005, 12:09 AM
Listen to Splotch (sounds kinda funny to say that) He speaks the truth... or types it... whatever.

Final Draft is a great scripting program... that's what you need to write/format with. You can save docs as many different file types, including html (it opens in a 'net browser in perfect format), MS Word, and of course in its own format as well.

Get it.

MisterSadistro
08-23-2005, 03:47 AM
I checked out celtx finally after a producer I know was singing it's praises (he "discovers" something new and useful every week that I "have to check out"). I didn't see anything much different from the Sophocles program I've been using except for the prop listing pictures, cast pictures, etc. I guess that would be cool if writing for someone else to film, but it seems excessive and unecessary for something I'd film myself. Something along the lines of shot selection would be more useful for me.
CK

miguelito
08-23-2005, 03:25 PM
Try this. It should work well with Word.