PDA

View Full Version : Dan Brown, anyone?

bfs8
07-20-2005, 10:33 AM
Has anyone read Demons and Angels....or the DaVinchi Code??

I have read Demons and Angels....it was awesome!

urgeok
07-20-2005, 11:10 AM
just read A & D ..

thought it was a guy trying to impress the reader with facts and tidbits - to mask the fact that his prose is pedestrian at best ..

i wasnt impressed and i wont be reading davinci code ...

(just my opinion)

jenna26
07-20-2005, 08:24 PM
I read The Da Vinci Code and it was interesting, from a theoretical point of view. But the characters were wooden and so was the writing style in general. So I agree, not really interested in reading another by him.

bfs8
07-21-2005, 04:49 AM
I really did enjoy D & A, but I haven't read the DaVinchi code yet. There was another book that I wanted to read first but I just have been too busy to really read recently...hopefully I will get back to it soon.

ABnormaL
07-22-2005, 08:26 AM
I really liked the Da Vinci Code. The characters weren't the most interesting, but I thought the story was interesting. A different way of viewing religion I guess :p

jenna26
07-23-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by ABnormaL
I really liked the Da Vinci Code. The characters weren't the most interesting, but I thought the story was interesting. A different way of viewing religion I guess :p

The characters were all there simply to postulate. There was virutally no depth to them at all. It all seemed to come down to stating facts and solving a puzzle, very little genuine emotion involved. But yes, it is an interesting twist on Christianity. In fact, I'm rather surprised this book is as popular as it is, to be honest.

ABnormaL
07-23-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by jenna26
The characters were all there simply to postulate. There was virutally no depth to them at all. It all seemed to come down to stating facts and solving a puzzle, very little genuine emotion involved. But yes, it is an interesting twist on Christianity. In fact, I'm rather surprised this book is as popular as it is, to be honest.

Thinking back on it, I do agree with you. Yeah, it is suprising it is so popular, I'm suprised it hasn't been burnt by all the Christians lol. I did enjoy it for that twist on things, I think most people did. Not that most people believed it, it was just a fresh view.
I thought it did get exiciting at some points, just waiting to see how it fits together even if the characters were only used to push the facts along.

sandy_x
07-30-2005, 04:20 PM
i have read all dan brown books and liked them alot cant waite for the movie to come out.

Zero
08-02-2005, 05:22 AM

My biggest (recent) pet peeves with novels is when all the characters basically talk like the author - I remember reading The Women of Whitechapel Lane (or something like that - and I'm sure someone will correct me) - about Jthe Ripper and even the beggars on the street would engage in these long, introspective, existential dialogues on the meaning of everything - shit man people don't talk like that (unless they've been through an MFA in creative writing).

jenna26
08-02-2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Zero
My biggest (recent) pet peeves with novels is when all the characters basically talk like the author - I remember reading The Women of Whitechapel Lane (or something like that - and I'm sure someone will correct me) - about Jthe Ripper and even the beggars on the street would engage in these long, introspective, existential dialogues on the meaning of everything - shit man people don't talk like that (unless they've been through an MFA in creative writing).

Exactly. It is annoying when the characters have no personality of their own and they are just....convenient. I understand it is all from a writer's imagination, but imagination is the key word. Too many writers can't seem to view things from any perspective but their own and that definitely hurts the story they are trying to tell.

urgeok
08-02-2005, 10:53 AM
Exactly. It is annoying when the characters have no personality of their own and they are just....convenient. I understand it is all from a writer's imagination, but imagination is the key word. Too many writers can't seem to view things from any perspective but their own and that definitely hurts the story they are trying to tell.

he saves his 'invention and imagination' for the plot gimmicks and has no idea how to flesh out his characters.

plus his ideas are samey ..

he is going to run out of gas pretty soon - especially with hollywood biting at his ass for more.

sort of like Thomas Harris...

MoonLit Meadow
08-08-2005, 12:57 PM
I read "The DaVinci Code" last year, and was actually really impressed by it. True, the charachters could have been developed a little more...but I'm not sure that was the purpose of this particular book.

It really makes you question alot of things...makes you re-think the validity of the Catholic Church, that's for sure. The conspiracy theories, etc. were compelling to me and I guess we may never know for sure if they're completely true...Dan Brown claims that they are, I believe. Since we can't be sure, it's all the more intriguing.

Anyway, I also look forward to the movie adaptation...I'm curious to see how they'll handle it...and I'm curious to see if religious groups try and ban it ;)

PPC
08-15-2005, 12:55 AM
I've read A&D, Deception Point, and Digital Fortress... All of them were solid, entertaining reads. My fav was probably A&D.

I gotta get around to reading DaVinci Code real soon.