PDA

View Full Version : Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

bwind22
07-16-2005, 10:29 AM
Anyone seen this yet? I was disappointed in the oompa loompas and Johnny Depp's voice, but other than that I thought it was pretty good. Tim Burton did a really good job making it look awesome.

What did ya'll think?

hellfire1
07-16-2005, 10:40 AM
i really liked it. why were you disappointed with the oompa loompas ? i thought they were hilarious and were much less freaky.

alkytrio666
07-16-2005, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by hellfire1
i really liked it. why were you disappointed with the oompa loompas ? i thought they were hilarious and were much less freaky.

Exactly. They weren't Oompa Loompas. They were just very miniature midgets. I pretty much 100% agree with bwind. Depp was actually kind of dissapointing, and the oompa loompas sucked. But Burton's vision was pretty good, and I actually really liked the music score. Elfman's the man.

bwind22
07-16-2005, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by hellfire1

They all looked the same and they didnt look like the oompa loompas. :( I like my oompas freaky. Also, the boat ride... MUCH better in the Gene Wilder version.

Loved the score. You're right. Elfman is the man!

hellfire1
07-16-2005, 11:49 AM
well to me this is just another version of the book ( which i've never read.. for shame ), so they are burton's vision of the oompa loompas and not supposed to look like the others ( who were the equivalent of the munchkins in the wizard of oz... just scary ! ) i do agree that the music was great. the movie was great visually, like most of burton's work.

knife_fight
07-20-2005, 12:45 AM
I gotta say, I was disappointed. I thought they were remaking it for one of these two reasons, maybe both:

1. to make it more creepy and slightly disturbing, but still to maintain the fun childlike innocence.

2. to make it more like the book (see above)

but it did neither of these things. there were just as many, if not more, differences between the new one and the book. and it was actually LESS creepy than the original. Depp got on my nerves several times, too. he kept looking like someone who was pretending to be disturbed, rather than someone who had actual problems. and the music, although it used the lyrics straight from the book, was definitely not up to a standard set by Danny Elfman himself, imo.

overall, I liked it, but it definitely could have been better. I'm still going to be waiting for the remake that perfectly captures Roald Dahl's undercurrent of creepiness.

Marroe
07-20-2005, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by bwind22
They all looked the same and they didnt look like the oompa loompas. :( I like my oompas freaky It was all the same guy:confused: . I didn't care for that much either, but the movie made me REALLY laugh...I thought it was great.

IDrinkYourBlood
07-20-2005, 03:55 AM
I actually really liked it. 4/5. Was dissapointed with the oompa loompa's much like the rest of you and also dissapointed in the boat ride(which scared me in the first movie) but all in all i had a great time.

AUSTIN316426808
07-20-2005, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by Marroe
the movie made me REALLY laugh...I thought it was great.

ditto

novakru
07-20-2005, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by IDrinkYourBlood
I actually really liked it. 4/5. Was dissapointed with the oompa loompa's much like the rest of you and also dissapointed in the boat ride(which scared me in the first movie) but all in all i had a great time.

I was TRAMATIZED by that boat ride scene in the original-and it almost made me Not take my kids to see the new one.But it was an ok movie,not great but really,what GREAT movie have you seen lately?

urgeok
07-20-2005, 06:59 AM
i never thought i would see a thread anywhere in my lifetime where one person - let alone a bunch - used the words :

"i was dissapointed by the oompa-loompas"

:D

AUSTIN316426808
07-20-2005, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by novakru
what GREAT movie have you seen lately?

Batman Begins
Cinderella Man
Haute Tension
The Machinist
Sin City

just my opinions

Marroe
07-20-2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by urgeok
i never thought i would see a thread anywhere in my lifetime where one person - let alone a bunch - used the words :

"i was dissapointed by the oompa-loompas"

:D them oompa's had me shakin my ass in my seat.

Deposable
07-21-2005, 02:02 PM
Tim Burton has lost all his talent. Now he is just a hack remaking movies for money. Defend him all you want. I hate Burton and wanna punch him in the face.

urgeok
07-21-2005, 06:17 PM
saw it today - i enjoyed it but it wasnt as good as the origional.

everyone thought that this one would be darker - but it wasnt. (quite the opposite)

Gene Wilder made a fine Willy Wonka ... he was always on the ball... on top of everyone ..

Depp played it as the confused manchild with fatherhood issues ...
And then that had to be explored (boring all of the kids in the theatre)

I did like the oompa loompas - i liked the different spin on each song ..

but yeah i agree ... Tim Burton isnt 'tim burton' anymore.

IDrinkYourBlood
07-21-2005, 06:42 PM
Did you guys see the trailer for Corpse Bride, Tim Burton used the same music from NIghtmare befor Christmas. I dont think this Corpse Bride movie will be all that hot.

knife_fight
07-21-2005, 06:54 PM
I doubt the music in the movie will be "what's this?" from NBC. lots of movies use different music in the trailer than they do in the final movie. Lemony Snickett's trailer (and many others) also use music from NBC. Corpse Bride will rule. it doesn't matter how trendy or whatever it turns out to be, it's a stop motion animation feature about a guy who accidentally marries a corpse. it can't be bad.

urgeok
07-22-2005, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by IDrinkYourBlood
Did you guys see the trailer for Corpse Bride, Tim Burton used the same music from NIghtmare befor Christmas. I dont think this Corpse Bride movie will be all that hot.

most trailors now feature well known music from other films for the purposes of association.

It is supposed to appeal to you on the grounds that you liked the movie it came from origionally.
in this sense it was a no brainer - both burton animated films - same style ..etc ..
the music invokes Nightmare Before Christmas and layers it on the movie you're watching the ad for..

so by assiciation - you'll like it too and want to see it ...based on how you felt about the origional..

meetthecreeper
07-22-2005, 10:28 AM
Remaking Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is blasphemy.

They should have done Willy Wonka and the Great Glass Elevator.