PDA

View Full Version : Creep and Dead Birds

Preacher
07-05-2005, 01:18 AM
Well, last weekend, for the first time in ages, I actually had time to sit back, relax and watch some DVDs I rented.

So I rented Creep and Dead Birds. And they are both really good films.

Creep is definately one of the best horrors I have seen in a long while. Such an original idea and very well filmed. Was on the edge of my seat all the way through this one. Any fans of british horror (ie, horror that is actually scary and/or well made) should definately see it.

Dead Birds is definately a must see as well. I think there is a thread about it on here already. But again such an original idea and well executed. Not really gorey though. Just spooky. The only problem with it was that it was a little slow to start.

Go out and rent these films. Then sit back and enjoy.

Latas

Preacher
07-05-2005, 01:21 AM
Heres the dead birds thread link

http://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15305&highlight=Dead+Birds

Latas

newb
07-05-2005, 07:12 AM
I've been hearing good things about Creep.......i just made a bid on E-BAY.

42ndStreetFreak
07-05-2005, 07:53 AM
"Creep" is well worth checking out!
http://www.beardyfreak.com/rvcreep.php

newb
07-05-2005, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by 42ndStreetFreak
"Creep" is well worth checking out!
http://www.beardyfreak.com/rvcreep.php
Actually it was that very same review that sealed it for me.;)

42ndStreetFreak
07-05-2005, 08:22 AM
Oh shit!! Hope you like it then! :)

ItsAlive75
07-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Creep isn't out in America until somtime in late 2005, but from everything I've heard and read its a pretty original idea that I gots to check out.

Although I heard the flick is riddled with continuity errors.

Decadent
07-06-2005, 01:54 PM
I hate to admit it but I really didn't like Creep. Just seemed like your average 'blonde girl gets chased through the dark by some ugly thing' movie. It had some good moments, but overall I felt that it wasn't anything new. Plus nothing was well explained.

Another thing, the Creep himself looked too much like Gollum for me to take it seriously.

ABnormaL
07-06-2005, 02:54 PM
I have to agree with Decadent there. Gollum lookalike and nothing was really explained to me either. Some of the gore was good though :)

Preacher
07-06-2005, 11:19 PM
So (like i've said before).....

Why does everything have to be explained in horror movies??? Why cant there just be something evil there just because it is??? I'm sure Creeps existence wasn't explained to his victims.

You see this is why a lot of hollywood horrors just aren't scary. Cos they have to explain everything to the extent that the main 'bad guy' just isn't scary any more.

I thought it was class. I think probably the weakest point where they started to explain his past etc.

Have you seen the DVD?? If you want explanations then you should look at the extras on that.

Latas

Decadent
07-07-2005, 12:23 AM
Aah yes I definitely see where you are coming from there, and I do agree with you. The fact that Michael Myers, for example, was never 'explained' made him all the more terrifying. If we had found out that he was beaten as a child or something he would have lost his chill. But, with Creep, my problem was that it began to explain, but then seemed to trail off. I think that if they were going to explain Creep at all, then they should have focussed more on this, or simply left him as a mystery. They made a kind of half-assed attempt at an explanation, which weakened the story considerably. If this explanation had been filled out then it would have given more depth to the Creep character, or the easier method would be to, as you say, leave out an explanation entirely.

bwind22
07-07-2005, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Preacher

Dead Birds is definately a must see as well. I think there is a thread about it on here already. But again such an original idea and well executed. Not really gorey though. Just spooky. The only problem with it was that it was a little slow to start.

I rented this movie based on this paragraph. Because you said it wasn't that gory, I wasn't expecting much, but I was actually quite surprised. It was an overall cool movie. It got a bit slow in parts, but for the most everything progressed nicely. The acting was on par a low budgt Hollywood film, in my opinion. I was actually almost immediately surprised by the amount of onscreen gore, so I dont know... Maybe I watched the Unrated version or something I thought the robbery resulted in a lot violence, then they kill that kid (lol) and there there's the falshbacks/nightmares/visions/whatever. Some of those are pretty gory too. Because you downplayed the gore, I was very pleasently surprised by it. Anyways, nice recommendation. Your credibility remains in tact as far as I'm concerned! ;)

crippler666
07-09-2005, 02:29 PM
Creep was good because on one jhand he stops a woman from being raped, then the next minute he kills without abandon.

Your never are sure how safe you are, as well you don't see many films of this type coming out of England (normally they all involve an Ouija Board / Monster from the past type thing)

It made a welcome change and when it came out in britain there was nothing else remotely worth watching (we still are waiting for Hellraiser 6 & 7 we are normally 2 years plus behind American movies).

ADOM
07-09-2005, 11:06 PM
So this thread is not about Tim Ritter's CREEP (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112735/)

zwoti
07-09-2005, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by ADOM
So this thread is not about Tim Ritter's CREEP (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112735/)

no (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381966/)

dodge50
08-01-2005, 04:14 PM
[B]Creep is definately one of the best horrors I have seen in a long while. Such an original idea and very well filmed. Was on the edge of my seat all the way through this one. Any fans of british horror (ie, horror that is actually scary and/or well made) should definately see it.B]

Sorry to say Peacher but Creep isn't original, it's a remake of a 1972 movie called Death Line aka Raw Meat staring Donald Pleasence. Check it out at

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068458/

zwoti
08-01-2005, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by dodge50
Sorry to say Peacher but Creep isn't original, it's a remake of a 1972 movie called Death Line aka Raw Meat staring Donald Pleasence. Check it out at

while there may be similarities........not a remake

42ndStreetFreak
08-02-2005, 12:34 AM
They just both happen to have nutters in subways. But then again look at how many films have nutters in woods! Hardly re-makes though are they.

Hell this is only the 2nd film (along with "Death Line") i know of set in the Subways ("AWIL" has a few scenes but that's it) and it's the only British director helmed horror film ever to do so.

Hell of a shame not more films have been set there actually.

zwoti
08-02-2005, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by 42ndStreetFreak
They just both happen to have nutters in subways. But then again look at how many films have nutters in woods! Hardly re-makes though are they.

Hell this is only the 2nd film (along with "Death Line") i know of set in the Subways ("AWIL" has a few scenes but that's it) and it's the only British director helmed horror film ever to do so.

Hell of a shame not more films have been set there actually.

true, true

Preacher
08-02-2005, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by dodge50

Well from reading the summary on IMDB i can see there are similarities but i certainly doesn't sound like a re-make.

For example the fact that the main character (a woman on her own) gets stuck inside the tube system and she definately doesn't wanna be there. It seems that in Raw Meat there's a cop who actualy goes out to investigate the murders so he goes into the tube system.

Also the origins of the person/thing doin the killin are completely different. Dont really wanna give anythin away but in Creep this was one of the most disturbing things about the film.

But you are right in saying that this other film may have influenced Creep. In the DVD the director lists a few other influences - one of the most important of which being the tube scene in Amercan Werewolf in London.

I still urge people to watch it though.

Latas

Preacher
08-02-2005, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by bwind22
I rented this movie based on this paragraph. Because you said it wasn't that gory, I wasn't expecting much, but I was actually quite surprised. It was an overall cool movie. It got a bit slow in parts, but for the most everything progressed nicely. The acting was on par a low budgt Hollywood film, in my opinion. I was actually almost immediately surprised by the amount of onscreen gore, so I dont know... Maybe I watched the Unrated version or something I thought the robbery resulted in a lot violence, then they kill that kid (lol) and there there's the falshbacks/nightmares/visions/whatever. Some of those are pretty gory too. Because you downplayed the gore, I was very pleasently surprised by it. Anyways, nice recommendation. Your credibility remains in tact as far as I'm concerned! ;)

Yay. Precher did good. :)

Yeh come to think of it there is a few gorey bit. Seem to remember a guy gettin his head blown off.

Latas

dodge50
08-03-2005, 04:21 AM
Well from reading the summary on IMDB i can see there are similarities but i certainly doesn't sound like a re-make.

For example the fact that the main character (a woman on her own) gets stuck inside the tube system and she definately doesn't wanna be there. It seems that in Raw Meat there's a cop who actualy goes out to investigate the murders so he goes into the tube system.

Also the origins of the person/thing doin the killin are completely different. Dont really wanna give anythin away but in Creep this was one of the most disturbing things about the film.

But you are right in saying that this other film may have influenced Creep. In the DVD the director lists a few other influences - one of the most important of which being the tube scene in Amercan Werewolf in London.

I still urge people to watch it though.

Latas

Yeah your right man. It was a bit strong for me to call it a remake. I was just trying to make the point the creep wasn't really original when death line was so similar. What with it being under ground, cannibalism etc.

I suppose the problem is now you can see similarities in almost every film that comes out, if you compare it with another.

Still, fair point Preacher I stand corrected :)