PDA

View Full Version : George A. Romero's Land of the Dead

bwind22
06-24-2005, 01:58 PM
Well I decided that since it's officially here... Land of the Dead deserved it's own thread in the Moder Horror Section now. And since I went and saw the earliest possible showing of it, I may as well be the one to do it....

CAUTION ---- LOTD discussion ahead!!! If you haven't seen it and don't want to know about it, don't continue reading!!!

So........... What did everyone think?

Personally, I went in not to high on the idea of the zombies evolving and I left sort of feeling the same way. Romero made another kickass zombie film but I didn't think it was anywhere near as groundbreaking as Night or Dawn. Of course those are very hard to match, and it was still a pretty kick ass film in it's own right. I'll have to watch a couple more times before developing anything more solid than this opinion...

It was good, but not as great as I was hoping. I'd give it a B+.

For reference, I'd give Night an A+, Dawn an A+, and Day an A-, so it was my least favorite of his Dead Series (Hey! It's not a trilogy any more!) but still definately worth seeing/renting/owning!

Something about the main zombie's (The big black bald guy) facial makeup never really quite looked right to me and that sort of bothered me too.

hollywoodgothiq
06-24-2005, 03:32 PM
Well, after waiting twenty years for this film, it's hard not to be a little bit disapointed. Still, there was so much good in the film, it's worth seeing again. Only time will tell whether the problematic elements grown on you or just become more annoying.

The film went down very well with the audience I saw it with. Some people mumbled nitpicks on the way out, but lots were screaming during the actual film.

READ MORE HERE: http://hollywoodgothique.bravejournal.com/entry/12396

massacre man
06-24-2005, 05:55 PM
i think Robert Joy was the best actor on Land

HappyCamper
06-24-2005, 06:11 PM
Well I just got home from seeing 'Land of the Dead' and I thought the movie was fucking awesome!

I will have to agree however that it can't compare with NOTLD, or Dawn.

Really the only thing I didn't like was the fact that the zombies have evolved, although I can see why Romero did it.

I did like the fact, that he left it open for a sequel. Romero has even said that if he is given the chance that he may do at least one more film. I for one sure hope that he is given that chance.

massacre man
06-24-2005, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by HappyCamper
Well I just got home from seeing 'Land of the Dead' and I thought the movie was fucking awesome!

I will have to agree however that it can't compare with NOTLD, or Dawn.

Really the only thing I didn't like was the fact that the zombies have evolved, although I can see why Romero did it.

I did like the fact, that he left it open for a sequel. Romero has even said that if he is given the chance that he may do at least one more film. I for one sure hope that he is given that chance. he said he would make Land of the Dead into another trilogy about the same characters

HappyCamper
06-24-2005, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by massacre man
he said he would make Land of the Dead into another trilogy about the same characters

Yeah you're right he did say that. And I sure as hell hope that he is given the chance too.

I fucking love zombie movies!

BH14
06-24-2005, 07:50 PM
Is it better than the re-make of Dawn of the Dead and 28 Days Later?? If its up there with those movies, then its worth a look.

MoonLit Meadow
06-24-2005, 08:56 PM
I just got back too...I thought it was entertaining, but definately not "Romero's Masterpiece" as some critics were calling it. It had its moments, but it wasn't truly scary or over the top gory in my opinion. Decent acting...decent makeup....it was decent ;)

HappyCamper
06-24-2005, 09:26 PM
I will still purchase this movie when it comes out on dvd. It's definitely entertaining, but Dawn and NOTLD are better.

barbra
06-24-2005, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by barbra
land of the dead

I was hoping for more exploding heads and gore. I liked the movie but Im still not sure how I feel about it. I think I need to go see it again.

The_Return
06-25-2005, 07:06 AM
Going tonight, and Im damn psyched:D

I havnt read any of this thread yet...so here are my predictions:

1) It will be the best horror movie Ive ever seen in theatres [Wont take much, all Ive seen in theatres is Boogeyman and the new Amittyville:rolleyes: ]

2) I will prefer it to both versions of Dawn of the Dead, but it wont be as good as Night or Day.

3) The gore will be good, but not as gory as it could be.

4) "Big Daddy" will be the worst character in the whole series.

Theres my bets:D

HappyCamper
06-25-2005, 07:26 AM
how can you prefer it over the original Dawn of the Dead? I can understand prefering it over the remake, but the original? I think you need to think again.

alkytrio666
06-25-2005, 07:49 AM
Really wasn't all that great at all, if you ask me. Didn't even feel like Romero. There was probably only 20 minutes total of zombies eating guts, flesh, etc. and the rest was explosions.

The Amityville remake was better, in my humble opinion.

P.S. Didn't even touch the original 'Dawn'.

Originally posted by The_Return
Going tonight, and Im damn psyched:D

I havnt read any of this thread yet...so here are my predictions:

1) It will be the best horror movie Ive ever seen in theatres [Wont take much, all Ive seen in theatres is Boogeyman and the new Amittyville:rolleyes: ]

BH14
06-25-2005, 08:37 AM
So we have a couple people who thought it was awesome and others that thought it was decent and someone who preferred "The New Amityville" over this movie..... Kinda mixed reviews on this movie......

Is it better than the Dawn of the Dead re-make??

alkytrio666
06-25-2005, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by BH14
So we have a couple people who thought it was awesome and others that thought it was decent and someone who preferred "The New Amityville" over this movie..... Kinda mixed reviews on this movie......

Is it better than the Dawn of the Dead re-make??

Yah...

Only 'cause it's got a fresh, new, original feel to it.

massacre man
06-25-2005, 08:55 AM
Yeah you're right he did say that. And I sure as hell hope that he is given the chance too.

I fucking love zombie movies! yeah hopefully Asia Argento and Robert Joy do come back for both of the next films

bwind22
06-25-2005, 09:29 AM
The best gore/kill scene was when the dude holding a gernade got his arm cut off and then fell on it. lmao. That was classic!

To whoever was asking for a comparison to the Dawn remake, just go see Land. It's good for a modern day zombie movie but it's just nowhere near as groundbreaking or monumental as Night or Dawn. Some of the zombies in Land have been roaming the Earth since Dawn (Literally! Anyone catch Tom Savini's cameo? He was playing the same character as he did in Dawn. That was cool to keep that continuity there!)

massacre man
06-25-2005, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by bwind22
The best gore/kill scene was when the dude holding a gernade got his arm cut off and then fell on it. lmao. That was classic!

To whoever was asking for a comparison to the Dawn remake, just go see Land. It's good for a modern day zombie movie but it's just nowhere near as groundbreaking or monumental as Night or Dawn. Some of the zombies in Land have been roaming the Earth since Dawn (Literally! Anyone catch Tom Savini's cameo? He was playing the same character as he did in Dawn. That was cool to keep that continuity there!) i thought it was awesome when he sliced the guy's face off

bwind22
06-25-2005, 09:42 AM
I also really liked the mass feeding scenes. Those were pretty cool.

BH14
06-25-2005, 09:57 AM
I read some harsh reviews from users at the database site... Some loved it and some really hated it.... I will probably wait for it to hit DVD to see it before I spend 30-40 bucks to see it at the movies. Seems like people didnt care for the acting and the characters.

barbra
06-25-2005, 10:56 AM
you know, now that Im awake and sober, I wasn;t even scared of the zombies and they freak me out. I didn't have one fo my usual zombie dreams or anything. And I wasnt really sure what was going on when the zombies just left the city. Now they have to co-exisit... weird. I understand WHERE it came from Im just not sure why it went that way.

understand what Im getting at cause I think Im confusing myself.

MoonLit Meadow
06-25-2005, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by barbra
you know, now that Im awake and sober, I wasn;t even scared of the zombies and they freak me out. I didn't have one fo my usual zombie dreams or anything. And I wasnt really sure what was going on when the zombies just left the city. Now they have to co-exisit... weird. I understand WHERE it came from Im just not sure why it went that way.

understand what Im getting at cause I think Im confusing myself.

I know what you're getting at...but I'm thinking that...maybe the zombies and the humans finally realized it was better to co-exist than to continue fighting? ;) I don't know...maybe Romero was trying to incinuate we should stop the war in Iraq and all just get along ;) AHAHAH. But he probably just wanted to leave it open for a sequel..

Shade
06-25-2005, 02:30 PM
Just got back from seeing this ^-^. Not quite as good as the remake of of Dawn of the Dead but it was decent and had some excellent gore...plus I have a thing for John Leguisamo (sp?)...and hey, someone else payed my way in. Can't beat that.

alkytrio666
06-25-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by MoonLit Meadow
I know what you're getting at...but I'm thinking that...maybe the zombies and the humans finally realized it was better to co-exist than to continue fighting? ;) I don't know...maybe Romero was trying to incinuate we should stop the war in Iraq and all just get along ;) AHAHAH. But he probably just wanted to leave it open for a sequel..

Oh, God, I hope not. Not another Alien Vs. Predator fate. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm thinking he just wanted to leave some sequal options open...at least that's what I hope...

alkytrio666
06-25-2005, 03:43 PM
I also really liked the mass feeding scenes. Those were pretty cool.

I liked when they walk in the dark room with a flashlight and they shine it over the zombie with it's hand down that chick's throat, pulling out her intestines. (That part's actually in the unrated trailer)

The part that made me cringe, though, was when that lady zombie broke alll of her nails off scratching at the Dead whatever vehicle thing. Oooo, blach. That really got me. The noise!

Deposable
06-25-2005, 08:40 PM
This movie was a master piece! It should go down with all his other great movies.

I love 28 days later and I like the remake of Dawn of the dead. But this movie is far better than all those fakes.

There was more death and gore in this horror movie, than has been for 20 fucking years! Some people will bitch about anything.

The whole message for "Land of the dead" was perfect for todays youth. Classism is more blatant today, than it has been since the midevil ages. The actors weren't bad at all.. Dennis Hopper was amazing

But all people care about is if its scary or how people die:rolleyes:

What movie is scary for a horror fan? we seen it all. I hope someone got something out of this movie besides how cool the zombies look.

alkytrio666
06-25-2005, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Deposable
This movie was a master piece! It should go down with all his other great movies.

I love 28 days later and I like the remake of Dawn of the dead. But this movie is far better than all those fakes.

There was more death and gore in this horror movie, than has been for 20 fucking years! Some people will bitch about anything.

The whole message for "Land of the dead" was perfect for todays youth. Classism is more blatant today, than it has been since the midevil ages. The actors weren't bad at all.. Dennis Hopper was amazing

But all people care about is if its scary or how people die:rolleyes:

What movie is scary for a horror fan? we seen it all. I hope someone got something out of this movie besides how cool the zombies look.

I'm not bitching about the acting, or the way the zombies look. I'm bitching because this just wasn't Romero. There was too much explosions, missles, etc. and the whole "Hi, I'm Dennis Hopper, I'm a rebel bad ass and I'm going to save everyone all by myself" action movie thing kinda pissed me off.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the movie. 7/10. It just didn't scream "romero" like I hoped it did.

Deposable
06-25-2005, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by alkytrio666
"Hi, I'm Dennis Hopper, I'm a rebel bad ass and I'm going to save everyone all by myself" action movie thing kinda pissed me off.

I never really got that feeling from the movie. He was more like a real life president.

The only thing that pissed me off was the black zombie growling all the time.

The_Return
06-26-2005, 08:10 AM
how can you prefer it over the original Dawn of the Dead? I can understand prefering it over the remake, but the original? I think you need to think again.

I know my opinions on the original Dawn arent echoed by many, but I saw it as a definate low point of the series. It was still a good movie...but compared to Night and Day, and even Land, it didnt hold up. For me, at least. The acting was bad [not that acting should be expected in a zombie movie], the plot was totally wasted [The mall was a damn great idea...put to waste], and it had very few memorable moments. It did have the Raiders though...the movie definatly picked up part way through. Also, and this could get me some strange looks, I thought the exploding heads were WAY overused. Sure it was a cool effect...but it went the same way as the solar weapons in Blade...cool, buy way,way overused. =The main thing it had going for it was that it set major info for Day and Land [that the zombies have some grasp on their past lives]

Anyway, enoigh ranting about Dawn...the thread's about
Land!

Heres a recap of my predictions for Land:

2) I will prefer it to both versions of Dawn of the Dead, but it wont be as good as Night or Day.

3) The gore will be good, but not as gory as it could be.

4) "Big Daddy" will be the worst character in the whole series.

1) It definatly was. Not that Im surprised that it was better than shit like Boogeyman and Amittyville:rolleyes:

2) Ding ding. Once again, my prediction was corect! Id rank the Night, Day, Land, Dawn, with Night and Day being very close.

3) I was semi wrong here. Although it wasnt as gory as it could have been, I was completly satufied with the gore.

4) He wasnt nearly as horrible a character as I was expecting him to be. His groans whenever one of "his" zombies got killed got annoying, but it was certainly interesting that he was so advanced he could teach the others.

Overall, I give Land 8/10. For the record, I gave the others:

Night 9.5/10
Day 9/10
Dawn7/10

alkytrio666
06-26-2005, 08:17 AM
I know my opinions on the original Dawn arent echoed by many, but I saw it as a definate low point of the series. It was still a good movie...but compared to Night and Day, and even Land, it didnt hold up. For me, at least. The acting was bad [not that acting should be expected in a zombie movie], the plot was totally wasted [The mall was a damn great idea...put to waste], and it had very few memorable moments. It did have the Raiders though...the movie definatly picked up part way through. Also, and this could get me some strange looks, I thought the exploding heads were WAY overused. Sure it was a cool effect...but it went the same way as the solar weapons in Blade...cool, buy way,way overused. =The main thing it had going for it was that it set major info for Day and Land [that the zombies have some grasp on their past lives]

ARGHH!!! Haha, I loved the original 'Dawn', it was probably my favorite. The clowny music playing while the zombies rip open the humans, I LOVE that scene. I have that goofy ass song on my computer.

The_Return
06-26-2005, 08:30 AM
ARGHH!!! Haha, I loved the original 'Dawn', it was probably my favorite. The clowny music playing while the zombies rip open the humans, I LOVE that scene. I have that goofy ass song on my computer.

That ws another thing I didnt like about Dawn. Although I did enjoy the less serious parts of the rest of the series, Dawn seemed to go totaly over the top [Pie fighting, anyone?]

Still, Im not saying that Dawn was a bad film. Just what I consider the low point of a great series. I did give it a 7/10, as you see in my other post:)

alkytrio666
06-26-2005, 08:37 AM
That ws another thing I didnt like about Dawn. Although I did enjoy the less serious parts of the rest of the series, Dawn seemed to go totaly over the top [Pie fighting, anyone?]

Still, Im not saying that Dawn was a bad film. Just what I consider the low point of a great series. I did give it a 7/10, as you see in my other post:)

To me, that was a good thing...it eased off the way series stuff and gave us a huge blend of humor, gore, etc.

It just makes it so fun to watch.

The_Return
06-26-2005, 08:53 AM
To me, that was a good thing...it eased off the way series stuff and gave us a huge blend of humor, gore, etc.

It just makes it so fun to watch.

True, but I definatly prefer the seriousness of Night and Day.

I think I need to see Dawn again...

bwind22
06-26-2005, 08:56 AM
I think I need to see Dawn again...

Either that or just stop talking about it! You are really lowering my opinion of you every time you open your mouth and say Land was better than Dawn. (Not that my opinion should matter to you or anything.)

P.S. I'm just joking. But seriously, how can you think Dawn was the worst? That's absurd!

The_Return
06-26-2005, 09:06 AM
Either that or just stop talking about it! You are really lowering my opinion of you every time you open your mouth and say Land was better than Dawn. (Not that my opinion should matter to you or anything.)

P.S. I'm just joking. But seriously, how can you think Dawn was the worst? That's absurd!

Just because I think it was the worst, doesnt mean I thought it was bad. Just personal preference, I guess. I enjoyed Land more than Dawn. It's not like Im telling you that you're an idiot for prefering Dawn, Im just stating my opinion.:)

BH14
06-26-2005, 09:45 AM
Dawn of the Dead took some of the seriousness in fighting zombies when one can run in between buncha zombies with much ease and even kick them in the ankles...... I didnt care for that too much and I didnt find it funny enough that i would consider it as a horror/comedy. I still liked it but I prefer the serious horror zombie movies.

Luis Serra
06-26-2005, 09:57 AM
1. Dawn
2. Land
3. Day
4. Night

The_Return
06-26-2005, 01:49 PM
I hope that once Land gets released on DVD, we get a region 1 boxset of the series. I own Night [of course], but I dont know weather I should shell out $40 or so to get the other 2, or wait for a set...Ill probably wait until Christmas, in which case Ill have the money to buy either....

filmmaker2
06-26-2005, 05:48 PM
Since everyone who wanted to see it badly has probably seen it and formed their own opinions, I thought I would rate this film. This is a studio-backed film, and seems to be a little off, not pure Romero. I would give it a 6 out of 10. It wasn't boring, but it didn't seem to "want" to be very scary either; it seemed mild overall, even though there was lots of onscreen violence, much more than I expected. More fun than scary.

I was always happy, though, with the previous three films, thought of them as the "trilogy," and never really thought this would get made, so it's really icing on a cake that was baked and done a long time ago, as far as I'm concerned. I'm looking forward to the DVD release, and happy to have contributed to Romero's opening weekend. Here's to ya, George!

phantomstranger
06-26-2005, 06:18 PM
I liked it! Fun, gory,good acting and a good story. 7 out of 10

HappyCamper
06-26-2005, 08:39 PM
and hopefully he'll be given the chance turn turn 'Land' into another trilogy

Kreech
06-26-2005, 09:03 PM
I saw this movie opening day with my girlfriend, and i learned something about George A. Romero in the movie's playing time.

1. Even directors who previously put out legendary films of greatness which i enjoy thuroughly can still make a piece of crap movie with the right cast and ideas.

2. Die Hard fans of the Dead series will praise Romero for pissing his name in the snow, let alone releasing a new zombie movie no matter how bad it is.

3. Die Hard fans will also deny any fault you point out in a movie no matter how serious or obvious it is.

I didn't think this movie was all bad, but com'mon now...

"I thought this was going to be a fight.... but this is a massacre..."

At this point i knew that i had paid too much to see this movie. The main guy, whatever his name was... he was a terrible actor. The fact that they were sympathizing with zombies was okay at first and then i thought:
"Hey... those things are trying to eat you... it's maybe okay to kill them. You know, so you don't end up food."

Terrible, terrible. I can't help but wonder what was going through Romero's mind when i made this.

One thing i did like though, was the Pourtorican guy comming back as a zombie on the (can't remember his name) older gentlemen that ran the big building in the center of the city. That was cool and it reminded me of Ninja Turtles for some reason. I don't know.

I really did try to like this movie. I want to like this movie, but i can't. It's got too many points against it. Maybe i'll see it again someday and really love it, but i doubt it. I give it a 5 out of 10.

blackknight
06-26-2005, 09:44 PM
I would like to see what a unrated dvd might look like. The theatrical release I thought was a total letdown 4/10.

Deposable
06-26-2005, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Kreech
I saw this movie opening day with my girlfriend, and i learned something about George A. Romero in the movie's playing time.

1. Even directors who previously put out legendary films of greatness which i enjoy thuroughly can still make a piece of crap movie with the right cast and ideas.

2. Die Hard fans of the Dead series will praise Romero for pissing his name in the snow, let alone releasing a new zombie movie no matter how bad it is.

3. Die Hard fans will also deny any fault you point out in a movie no matter how serious or obvious it is.

I didn't think this movie was all bad, but com'mon now...

"I thought this was going to be a fight.... but this is a massacre..."

At this point i knew that i had paid too much to see this movie. The main guy, whatever his name was... he was a terrible actor. The fact that they were sympathizing with zombies was okay at first and then i thought:
"Hey... those things are trying to eat you... it's maybe okay to kill them. You know, so you don't end up food."

Terrible, terrible. I can't help but wonder what was going through Romero's mind when i made this.

One thing i did like though, was the Pourtorican guy comming back as a zombie on the (can't remember his name) older gentlemen that ran the big building in the center of the city. That was cool and it reminded me of Ninja Turtles for some reason. I don't know.

I really did try to like this movie. I want to like this movie, but i can't. It's got too many points against it. Maybe i'll see it again someday and really love it, but i doubt it. I give it a 5 out of 10.

can't understand why sympathizing with zombies? Maybe because Humans are worse creatures than zombies. We are like Virus Parasites.

Who the fuck are you anyway? get the fuck out of here you, jerk off.

Also, I agree with The_Return. I think Land of the dead is better than Dawn. Blastipheme! but maybe you guys will realize this one day or maybe you'll remind stabborn.

9/10 some critic's said this movie was funny, what fucking idiots.

bwind22
06-26-2005, 11:44 PM
1-Dawn
2-Night
3-Day
4-Land

AUSTIN316426808
06-27-2005, 01:06 AM
can't understand why sympathizing with zombies? Maybe because Humans are worse creatures than zombies. We are like Virus Parasites.

Also, I agree with The_Return. I think Land of the dead is better than Dawn. Blastipheme! but maybe you guys will realize this one day or maybe you'll remind stabborn.

You're really not going to give into that whole

"everybody is entitled to their opinion and it's nothing more than the individual's personal thoughts about the particular topic which is perfectly fine if it's different because no two people are alike and that's what makes the world interesting and not a boring place full of robots"

thing are you?

AUSTIN316426808
06-27-2005, 01:14 AM
Land of the Dead came in 5th at the box office with 10.2 million(unofficial)

that's about average for a big horror film.

I really thought kids were going to eat up that Herbie bullshit but Batman is still number 1.

bwind22
06-27-2005, 04:26 AM
Even Bewitched (Which I heard sucked) beat Herbie!

alkytrio666
06-27-2005, 06:49 AM

Look, don't take this the wrong way, I like you, and don't want to turn this into thread fight buulshit, but I have one thing to say.

I dont think it's fair to be calling us stubborn when you and Return (if you do, in fact, think like Return, as you said) can't appreciate Romero's attempt for humor mixed into the horror in the original 'Dawn'. I dont think we're being stubborn, I think you're being stubborn. Maybe it didn't have some of the special FX of 'Land', but it was Romero. 'Land' just isn't Romero, it was rushed, weak, and really not very good.

Now with that said, don't wig out on me here, 'cause I really have a lot of respect for both you and Return.

Thank you, I'm done. :)

Kreech
06-27-2005, 07:57 AM

I thought we were beyond childish name-calling.

Also, "virus-parasite" is somewhat redundant. But i'm not going to flame in a movie disscussion, so i won't bother pointing out several other things you said that i disagree with.

The remake of Dawn is one of the best zombie films in a while, even though it was not as good as the origional. For me, i'd wrather see the remake of Dawn than see Land of the Dead again.

(personaly, i really enjoyed 28 Days Later. I don't praise it or anything, but i thought it was decent.)

Deposable
06-27-2005, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by AUSTIN316426808
You're really not going to give into that whole

"everybody is entitled to their opinion and it's nothing more than the individual's personal thoughts about the particular topic which is perfectly fine if it's different because no two people are alike and that's what makes the world interesting and not a boring place full of robots"

thing are you?

I am entitled to my opinion and that is not liking other people's opinions :D

Look, don't take this the wrong way, I like you, and don't want to turn this into thread fight buulshit, but I have one thing to say.

I dont think it's fair to be calling us stubborn when you and Return (if you do, in fact, think like Return, as you said) can't appreciate Romero's attempt for humor mixed into the horror in the original 'Dawn'. I dont think we're being stubborn, I think you're being stubborn. Maybe it didn't have some of the special FX of 'Land', but it was Romero. 'Land' just isn't Romero, it was rushed, weak, and really not very good.

Now with that said, don't wig out on me here, 'cause I really have a lot of respect for both you and Return.

Thank you, I'm done. :)

Don't get me wrong, I'll be the first too say "I'm stabborn". Also, I think 'Dawn of the dead' is one of the greatest horror movies ever! But its HIGHLY overrated, but thats okay. it is still a very good movie.

Also, "virus-parasite" is somewhat redundant. But i'm not going to flame in a movie disscussion, so i won't bother pointing out several other things you said that i disagree with.

The remake of Dawn is one of the best zombie films in a while, even though it was not as good as the origional. For me, i'd wrather see the remake of Dawn than see Land of the Dead again.

Redundant or not, its true. but maybe you're a republican. hahaha

the Remake of Dawn was just as much as a action movie as LOTD. The Actors were much worse, plus it had no message, no meaning, no point. just too take you're money for a hour and a half of zombie fun.

Flame me all you want, I don't care. and disagree all you want. Its called a "Discussion".

Kreech
06-27-2005, 06:49 PM

Redundant or not, its true. but maybe you're a republican. hahaha

the Remake of Dawn was just as much as a action movie as LOTD. The Actors were much worse, plus it had no message, no meaning, no point. just too take you're money for a hour and a half of zombie fun.

Flame me all you want, I don't care. and disagree all you want. Its called a "Discussion".

I'm not a Republican, i'm just a sweet transvestite.

I really thought the actors in the remake of Dawn were a lot better than the ones in Land. Actualy, it was simply the mellowdramatic, bad acting in Land that made me not like the movie. Action... yeah, they both had about the same amount. I'd trade action and violence for great acting and plot anyday though. That's just me.

ItsAlive75
06-27-2005, 08:13 PM
I'm not a Republican, i'm just a sweet transvestite.

I really thought the actors in the remake of Dawn were a lot better than the ones in Land. Actualy, it was simply the mellowdramatic, bad acting in Land that made me not like the movie. Action... yeah, they both had about the same amount. I'd trade action and violence for great acting and plot anyday though. That's just me.

I don't wanna touch that first part.

Yeah, the actors were better in the Dawn remake... and it had more action. But what real plot was in it? "We're trapped in a mall and we need to get away... to anywhere." It took away the real message of the original, which is why it wasn't as good. The whole fact that the zombies RAN in the remake decimated the whole glossy, awestruck look of the zombies as they went in all the stores.

Land has a plot, and a pretty good message too. The problem is that the flick IS rushed, so you have to dig deep and find the little lines. The ending... yeah its a bit lame, but kinda poignant too. The fact that these "monsters" are trying to find themselves just like the humans is perfect for the struggles America is going through right now.

Just my opinion.

Jason Hodder
06-28-2005, 05:43 AM
I liked this movie enough to see it twice opening weekend. First showing on Friday and with my friends on Sunday. I really enjoyed it a lot. I agree with some of the statements that were made about it being rushed, time wise. I think that when it is released on DVD with an unrated version people will like it better. I'm sure there were a lot of things cut to get past the MPAA.

For those that are on myspace.com I'm going to have a review of this movie up on my site.

From Tuesday through Thrusday before the release I rewatched all the Dead series (original & remakes). This is my list

1) Day of the Dead - After watching it again it became my fvorite, I love Bub.

2) Night of the Living Dead (original) - First horror movie I saw at 5 years old, holds a special place in my heart.

3) Dawn of the Dead (origianl) - Love the message. A lot of fun to watch. Also the European version has the best audio commentary I've ever heard with the main cast.

4) Dawn of the Dead (remake) - I really enjoyed this movie. I thought as a remake it wasn't anything great but as a straight up horror movie, it was the best in a long time. I was hoping it would suck but I was surprised at how good it was. I wasn't pissed that the zombies were running like I tought I would be.

5) Night of the Living Dead (remake) - A very good remake loved that it was written by Romero and directed by Savini. Not as good as the remake of Dawn, but can stand up on it's own.

6) Land of the Dead - Review will be up, but putting it at 6th doesn't mean I didn't like it. I would give it a 7 out of 10 and can't wait for the DVD.

Also, I am interested to see how the Day remake is going to be. Night was good, Dawn was really good, and if the remakes get better then this will be great, but we will have to wait and see.

majorbludd
06-28-2005, 08:55 AM
land is basically an action movie....with some zombies....that main actor....the pretty guy....i think he had his own show on tv....the profiler or sum crap....he's lame....dawn remake was twice as good.....actually i think i enjoyed ghosts of mars better.

bwind22
06-28-2005, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by majorbludd
ghosts of mars.

lol

That movie was really bad. They totally re-use some parts more than once. (The show the same exact clip of all the aliens monster dudes running into battle at least twice in the film.) That's the only one I've caught, but then again I've only seen the movie twice and the second time I was only half watching.

jay o2 waster
06-29-2005, 05:48 PM
I saw this the day it came out and just watched it again and i am in love with this movie. It is utterly impossinble for me to pick a favorite Dead film. To me they are all one big movie. you gotta respect romero for honing his ideas for so long and not cashing in until he knew he had what he needed to make the movie.

BH14
07-03-2005, 01:54 PM
SPOILER***************

Just saw this movie today in a theatre full of 9 people... For real... Anyways, its better than i thought because of the mixed reviews... I liked John Leguizamo's character and Argento's character... I thought they did good jobs. The main character was ok (kinda boring). And Hopper seemed liked he had 2 lines the whole movie. I was cracking up when Hopper said "Quick get down" to that guy and then shot him in the head. For some reason, I like to see zombies evolving whether it being running (like DOTD 2004) or getting somewhat smarter. Everything has to evolve somewhat so why not zombies. I remember someone said "zombies cant swim"... thats true but they dont breath either so they can cross the river. So I liked the plot since its the Aftermath of zombies takeover.... Its not just a "kill buncha zombies, see lot of gore and the end!".... There was lot of gore in this movie i thought anyways...I will pick this movie up on DVD.

I give it an 8/10... right on par with DOTD 2004. I think its a worthy movie to the series.... And i liked it better than Day of the Dead.

jedicow
07-03-2005, 04:48 PM

so whats wrong with an hour and a half of mindless zombie fun? does it have to have a pertinent message to be a good zombie flick?

i saw LOTD friday night and i really enjoyed myself. i liked bakers character and ,surprisngly enough, leguizamos character. i say surprisingly because i have never liked john leguizamo. i liked the progression of the zombies and i thought it was a nice, new, fresh take on the zombie genre. but thats just my opinion.

ItsAlive75
07-03-2005, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by jedicow
i say surprisingly because i have never liked john leguizamo.

I think John Leguizamo is an incredible actor. He just picks shitty roles sometimes (The Pest).

BH14
07-03-2005, 06:13 PM
I always liked Leguizamo.. He is absolutely hilarious when he was doing standup... I also liked a lot of his movies such as "S.O.S. Summer of Sam", "Carlitto's Way" Benny from the Bronx, "Spawn", "Whats the Worst Thing that Could Happen", "Empire", "Spun", "Casualities of War", etc. Now, i like his character in Land.

Its the main character in land who seemed like he had no emotion. I thought Asia Argento did a good job as well. I didnt care much for Hopper but he had like 2 mins of the movie so its hard to judge him fairly.

jedicow
07-04-2005, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by BH14

Its the main character in land who seemed like he had no emotion.

i think that was done on purpose. they never got very much into his backstory, other than him shooting his brother, so i think he acted emotionless because he was trying to hide his pain.

Chainsaw Guy
07-05-2005, 07:05 AM
Well i was in new york when i saw it and it was on the first day and me and some guys were talking about if there was gonna be a Tom Savini cameo and we were right over all I liked the idea of 2 story lines with the Humans and the zombies. But there was these stupid fucking girls behind me who would jump everytime a zombie would come up

MrShape
07-07-2005, 12:37 PM
Seen it twice already. Great zombie movie. Romero's back in fine form with this film. It got the usual Romero staple of horror, humor and social commentary that the other dead films do. And a lot of cool looking zombies. I'll reserve full jugement until I see the uncut DVD (assuming Universal will let him release it). That final zombie chowdown inside the Green looked like it had been drastically cut down. I know some people complained that "zombies don't swim", but it you watch, they don't swim. They just drop to the bottom and walk until they reach land. It was interesting to note that Land involved elements from George's orginal Day Of The Dead script (you can read it at www.homepageofthedead.com. Check it out, it's alot different then the one that actually got filmed.) that he had to ditch and rewrite to make less expensive. In that script, there were people living outside the compound in complete squalor while those inside lived in relative comfort, a concept he finally explored with building in Land.

My sole real complaint was Big Daddy. The actor who played him didn't do a very good job. I kept comparing him to Howard Sherman's performance as Bub and he came up lacking. Way too much screaming, and he figured stuff out too fast to be believable as a zombie. This guy needs to go back to zombie school. On the other hand, Number 9 performed very well (a hottie zombie chick with part of her face missing, who'da thunk it?) Maybe she should have been the lead zombie?

By the way, did anyone notice that the R-rated print of Land is way gorier then the supposed "uncut" DVD of the Dawn Of The Dead remake?

crazy raplh
07-07-2005, 03:49 PM
O haven't see it yet but I will I am staying in a town that has no movie theatre but I want to sooo bad.

Kinski's Ghost
07-07-2005, 04:52 PM
It was pretty entertaining but it didn't feel like a Romero movie at all. The evolving zombie theme could have been handled better. They learned too fast. The zombie "leader" was a bit annoying as well. Worth seeing though!

Deposable
07-08-2005, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by jedicow
i think that was done on purpose. they never got very much into his backstory, other than him shooting his brother, so i think he acted emotionless because he was trying to hide his pain.

Thats what I thought too. The character has seen so much violence and evil he is immune too it. He's not like a robot because he has friends and trys too help them.

Originally posted by Kinski's Ghost
It was pretty entertaining but it didn't feel like a Romero movie at all. The evolving zombie theme could have been handled better. They learned too fast. The zombie "leader" was a bit annoying as well. Worth seeing though!

It felt pure Romero. After over 5 years of having Zombies take over the world. they should have just stayed the same way.

darknessprevail
07-10-2005, 07:40 AM
I know all zombie movies are generally funny without meaning to be, but is this supposed to be a comedy? Maybe a take-off like Shaun of Dead? And has George Romeo made any other comedies, assuming this is a comedy?

The_Return
07-10-2005, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by darknessprevail
I know all zombie movies are generally funny without meaning to be, but is this supposed to be a comedy? Maybe a take-off like Shaun of Dead? And has George Romeo made any other comedies, assuming this is a comedy?

Have you made any other retarted threads, assuming this is a retarted thread? [Cause it is]

darknessprevail
07-10-2005, 07:46 AM
fuck you. i asked a legitimate question. and if you think this is so retarded why the hell did your reply to it.

BH14
07-10-2005, 07:51 AM
Shaun of the Dead, Evil Dead and Return of the Living Dead... I would consider those movies to be the so called horror/comedies... But I wouldnt consider LOTD to be a comedy. I didnt think it was that funny but it had its funny moments. Its a zombie horror movie.

The_Return
07-10-2005, 07:51 AM
Ya know, in general, I dont mind n00bs. Its the ones without a sence of humor that get on my nerves:p

Lighten up DP:)

darknessprevail
07-10-2005, 07:52 AM
sry i was pissed off when I woke up

The_Return
07-10-2005, 07:54 AM
sry i was pissed off when I woke up

No prob...Im usually pissed in the mornings too:p

Vempire
07-10-2005, 02:32 PM

Land of the Dead a comedy? In which parts are you referring to?

It had some unique scenes..NOT many. The "Flowers in the .." -fireworks, and the "headless" zombie that ends up still biting someone. I know, it sounds confusing, but once you see it, you'll understand. For me, the movie was not at all a comedy, just very sad. (disappointing) And flopped at the box office. Hasn't to date even reached 20 mil., and has already stopped being played at many theaters.
Zombies are dead.
Lets see some new ideas out of hollywood for a change

alkytrio666
07-10-2005, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Vempire
Land of the Dead a comedy? In which parts are you referring to?

It had some unique scenes..NOT many. The "Flowers in the .." -fireworks, and the "headless" zombie that ends up still biting someone. I know, it sounds confusing, but once you see it, you'll understand. For me, the movie was not at all a comedy, just very sad. (disappointing) And flopped at the box office. Hasn't to date even reached 20 mil., and has already stopped being played at many theaters.
Zombies are dead.
Lets see some new ideas out of hollywood for a change

Dude. Shut up. Zombie movies definately aren't dead. We just need a good one.

Land of the Dead was a zombie horror movie with some comical moments, just like every other Romero zombie flick (aside from maybe Night).

AUSTIN316426808
07-10-2005, 06:28 PM
It's a horror not a comedy. All horror films for the most part have their funny parts some more than others doesn't mean it's a comedy.....

example- Evil Dead:horror movie with numerous comedic parts, Halloween:horror movie with very few comedic parts.
Shaun of the Dead: Flat out comedy/horror.

Shade
07-10-2005, 08:07 PM
DoTH was funny...well...had hillarious parts. Personally I love horror movies with a sense of humor. This movie had its funny scenes too. Personally I loved Pilsbury.

ItsAlive75
07-10-2005, 09:18 PM
Dude. Shut up. Zombie movies definately aren't dead. We just need a good one.

They're GETTIN' to be dead. The well's been tapped I'd say, and I think there should be a short hiatis before anyone comes out with anymore. I mean, what more can you DO?

Tat2
07-10-2005, 09:24 PM
Most (but not all) Horror movies have some comedic bits in it...It's called comic relief. It is often used to bring the viewer back down from the tension felt from a given scene or to set up a scene coming up. There are very few horror, thriller, Sci-Fi, suspense, or action movies that don't use varying amounts of comedy relief within them.

The basic idea is that film makers don't believe that making the moviegoer sit through a constant 90+ minute attack of tension without some form of temporary rescue (usually in the form of comedy/dark comedy) is benificial to the movie, profits, moviegoer enjoyment and multiple viewings. Think about every horror film you have ever watched - 99% of them used some form of comedy to break the tension after a edge of your seat scene. Just some movies may use more than others. Even the Exorcist used comedy - very little - but it's there.

Here are just a few examples:

The Exorcist - Damien Karras is in his room drunk after his Mother dies. His Priest buddy come in and during the scene asks where he got the booze. The reply was that he took it off of an Alter Boy. Same scene when his buddy takes off his shoes states "stealing is a sin." Very small bit of comedy relief but that was all it needed.

Exorcist 3 George C. Scott talking about the fish in his bathtub.

Jaws - Several different bits of comedy relief in this was stated by Hooper. Chief Brody stating "we're gonna need a bigger boat."

Dawn of the Dead (Original) - The Funny mall music was used to create breathing time for the audience every now and then. The rednecks shooting at the Zombies "...missed him...got him..." scene.

Tat2
07-10-2005, 09:39 PM
OOOOPS. Didn't mean to double up.

AUSTIN316426808
07-10-2005, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Tat2

Jaws - Chief Brody stating "we're gonna need a bigger boat."

That was suppose to be funny? I always thought it added on to the tension.

EXTR3MIST
07-11-2005, 01:10 PM
More funny in Jaws is the look on Roy Scheider's face on the boat when the fish suddenly lurches up into shot over his shoulder as he's looking the other way - he sort of snaps bolt upright like he's just had the world's biggest line of coke (and does he have a cigarette in his mouth? Cigarette-dangling-from-the-gob scenes are always a scream).

IDrinkYourBlood
07-11-2005, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by ItsAlive75
They're GETTIN' to be dead. The well's been tapped I'd say, and I think there should be a short hiatis before anyone comes out with anymore. I mean, what more can you DO? There hasnt been a zombie movie for a long time. Im sick of ppl bitch'n that theres been to many zombie movies, For fuck sakes theres been three lately. wooOOoo not three. Im still wanting a extremly good zombie movie to be made still.

ItsAlive75
07-11-2005, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by IDrinkYourBlood
There hasnt been a zombie movie for a long time. Im sick of ppl bitch'n that theres been to many zombie movies, For fuck sakes theres been three lately. wooOOoo not three. Im still wanting a extremly good zombie movie to be made still.

Three in what... two or three years? That's kind of a lot.

Land of the Dead JUST came out, not to mention Undead, DotD remake, Resident Evil Apocalypse (not too many zombies in it though).... come on man, they're comin' on like gangbusters.

hehe... gangbusters.

Deposable
07-11-2005, 10:43 PM
Land of the dead was one of the funniest films ever. I mean, it is next too "office space" and "Space balls" in my opinion.

I laughed at ever scene. I still can't stop laughing..... ha ha ha zombies....

Creighton Duke
09-25-2005, 12:39 PM
just got back from the cinema where i saw the film. I know its been out in the uk for 2 days and im a big fan but ive been busy. But i wander from the point. I liked the film good popcorn cruncher, but not a patch on the others just didnt have the atmosphere it wasnt errie it just used the jump factor. Any body else with similar thinking

Angra
09-25-2005, 01:02 PM
It reminded me more of "Resident evil" than "Dawn of the dead".:(

I was disappointed.

The_Return
09-25-2005, 01:50 PM
I thought it was great fun, nothing like the rest of the Dead flims, and less serious....but still a very fun flick:)

alkytrio666
09-25-2005, 05:11 PM
I thought it sucked...

Despare
09-25-2005, 07:12 PM
I loved it, I guess I'm a weird "Of The Dead" fan though because I like Day almost as much Dawn. Anyway, the social commentary wasn't really subtle but I think there were some creative deaths and it was a lot of fun. I absolutely LOVED Savini as a zombie though.

noctuary
09-25-2005, 07:53 PM
It was alright. I had a great time in the theater with my friends. Midnight show, slightly drunk, lots of fun. Of course, the movie itself doesn't come close to the classic trilogy, but it's still good in its own right.

filmmaker2
09-26-2005, 10:33 AM
It's like a zombie smoothie with not enough zombie in it.

The_Return
09-26-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Despare
I loved it, I guess I'm a weird "Of The Dead" fan though because I like Day almost as much Dawn.

Heh, I must be completly off-the-wall....I liked Day alot more than Dawn:)

lee challenger
10-05-2005, 09:35 AM
Just back from the cinema with a huge feeling of disappointment.
If this is the best Romero can come up with after having 20 years to carry on his brilliant zombie epic then it's time to call it a day.
The opening 5 minutes were very promising with all the classic Romero atmosphere and imagery but then the movie quickly became like any other 21st century commercial American horror that we have become used to seeing.
This really does not deserve to be part of the legendary "Dead" series.:mad:

luke_dm5
10-07-2005, 10:10 PM
I expected better.