PDA

View Full Version : Blair Witch Project

tom-tom
06-10-2005, 12:36 AM
It is quite surprising to find no thread relating to The Blair Witch Project - at least, that I could see.
Personally, I thought it was a great and pretty scary movie. It is amazing how such a simple premise - and lack of money - can create such a genuingly scary movie.
For me the best scene in the entire movie is at the end when they both enter the house...its just their terror, that is conveyed so well thanks to the shakey hand-held camera, the hand-prints on the walls, and just the general atomsphere that made this final scene so effective and just simple scary shit.

feral cat
06-10-2005, 01:54 AM
Personaly I thought it was a rubbish camping video ...

... ooh someone has move some sticks and stones about

and the final scene, a bloke having a piss in the corner ... wow genius :D

tenebrarum
06-10-2005, 03:24 AM
I cant understand why anyone finds this thing scary. So there are some voices outside their tent, big deal. When they find the little wooden men the guy tells us how creepy it is- a good horror movie doesnt tell things are creepy, it makes you feel the creepiness. Its all bad except for the marketing- now that was brilliant.

zwoti
06-10-2005, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by feral cat
Personaly I thought it was a rubbish camping video ...

... ooh someone has move some sticks and stones about

and the final scene, a bloke having a piss in the corner ... wow genius :D

still bitter over what could have been :p

feral cat
06-10-2005, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by zwoti
still bitter over what could have been :p

it's TRUE (http://ispitonyourmovie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1032)

urgeok
06-10-2005, 05:58 AM
blame the hype ..

if the media didnt make it such a darling - it would have been a weird little indie film that would have surpassed your expectations rather than fall short of them ..

i dont care for it myself, but i admire it and i found it very effective considering what it was ..

Elvis_Christ
06-12-2005, 01:42 AM
Another thread about The Raven :rolleyes:

I hatedd this the first time I saw it (didn't really give it a chance I guess) but the second time I thought it was very well done.... maybe it was the weed I'd smoked.

tom-tom
06-13-2005, 12:32 AM
Has anyone seen the sequel, Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 (2000)?

TRAILER (http://videodetective.com/search.asp?SearchForMethodId=1&searchstring=BLAIR+WITCH+2)

I bought it off Amazon about a week ago, so it should be here very soon. I can't wait to see it so no spoilers, please.

The Mothman
06-13-2005, 05:11 AM
i have, it was decent.

urgeok
06-13-2005, 05:13 AM
i liked it - most people hated it.

Vodstok
06-13-2005, 05:38 AM
I thought it was crap, but it had great unrealized potential. I wanted to like it, but couldnt. It was clever though, and at least it was different, there was nothing cookie cutter about it. 3 extra points for originality.

Pennywise8
06-15-2005, 03:14 PM
It looks good. The first time I heard about it I believed it was true.:D

ShankS
06-16-2005, 12:08 AM
not seen any of them, not expecting too.

42ndStreetFreak
06-16-2005, 06:26 AM
Overrated crap heap aimed at silly people who beleived the damn thing was true!
*sheesh*

Twigs and stones! *shudder*

The_Return
06-16-2005, 06:53 AM
Ive said it before, and will say it again....

I was bored to death for the majority of the movie, but the last 10-15 minutes is one of the only things in a movie that have ever terrified me. For that, I salute it.

The_Return
06-16-2005, 07:02 AM
Oh, to Feral Cat :[*Spoilers ensue*]

T'would seem that you dont understand the ending scene with the "bloke having a piss in the corner". Earlier in the film whebn they are interviewing townsfolk, one of them said that the witch always had two victims. She made one stand in the corner, while she killed the other. Ring any bells? When Heather was killed by whatever it was, there was a "bloke having a piss in the corner". For some reason, I doubt he was taking a piss...

alkytrio666
06-16-2005, 09:53 AM
Excellent, excellent movie. And yes, I must say, whoever the "bloke" was who was talking about the guy taking a piss, that kind of angered me. I guess you just have to appreciate the way they put this film together. It's fresh, new and very chilling, in my own humble opinion.

feral cat
06-16-2005, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by The_Return
Oh, to Feral Cat :[*Spoilers ensue*]

T'would seem that you dont understand the ending scene with the "bloke having a piss in the corner". Earlier in the film whebn they are interviewing townsfolk, one of them said that the witch always had two victims. She made one stand in the corner, while she killed the other. Ring any bells? When Heather was killed by whatever it was, there was a "bloke having a piss in the corner". For some reason, I doubt he was taking a piss...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/zwoti/scans/5411.jpg

... T'would seem that you have no ability to understand what we English call "taking the piss" ... :rolleyes:

urgeok
06-16-2005, 10:52 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/zwoti/scans/5411.jpg

... T'would seem that you have no ability to understand what we English call "taking the piss" ... :rolleyes:

i know the expression and understand it (and even use it with you folk) but where on earth did that saying come from ??

zwoti
06-16-2005, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by urgeok
i know the expression and understand it (and even use it with you folk) but where on earth did that saying come from ??

best i can do, http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A753527

The_Return
06-18-2005, 02:00 PM

My apologies...I suppose I dont know what that means in English slang.

AntonKowalski
06-19-2005, 07:24 PM
The Blair Witch couldn't even scare herself!

alkytrio666
06-20-2005, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by AntonKowalski
The Blair Witch couldn't even scare herself!

I don't like you very much.

Decadent
07-06-2005, 02:25 PM
I know a lot of self respecting horror fans disown this movie as mainstream commercial crap, but I really liked it, enough to buy it on DVD. Sure it's pretty boring after the first couple of watches, but if you see it and then go for a walk in the woods at night I'll guarantee that most of you will jump when that twig snaps behind you...

alkytrio666
07-13-2005, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by Decadent
I know a lot of self respecting horror fans disown this movie as mainstream commercial crap, but I really liked it, enough to buy it on DVD. Sure it's pretty boring after the first couple of watches, but if you see it and then go for a walk in the woods at night I'll guarantee that most of you will jump when that twig snaps behind you...

Mainstream? This started as low-budget, didn't it? Anyway, I agree with you, it's a good buy (it's only about $6 at Best Buy) and a very well-made, very scary movie.

Try camping in the woods after watching it.

barbra
07-13-2005, 11:50 PM
I was in boot camp during the 'hype' but I saw the movie and enjoyed it. I was always expecting to get scared and never did, just creeped out at the end. I thought it was good work not showing much, left a lot to the imagination. By the end of the movie you had creeped yourself out you didn't really need to be scared with gore and shit popping out at you.

EXTR3MIST
07-17-2005, 06:40 AM

You're right, who needs mere twigs and stones when you can have bloodied cheerleaders, skeletal corpses, deformed cesspit-dwellers and super skin-masks to give you the willies?

As each new horror film and comment about BWP passes, the importance of its sheer chilling simplicity and impeccable execution becomes more and more apparent - thank goodness there are some who really do "get it".

42ndStreetFreak
07-17-2005, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by EXTR3MIST
You're right, who needs mere twigs and stones when you can have bloodied cheerleaders, skeletal corpses, deformed cesspit-dwellers and super skin-masks to give you the willies?

Oh dear.....I didn't see any of the above in "The Changeling" or the original "The Haunting". And yet they showed "BWP" up for the badly made, unscary crap fest it was.
You want to know how to do scary without any of your sarcastic points above....see "The Haunting"

EXTR3MIST
07-17-2005, 07:09 AM
Too many folk seem to run horror-movie "competitions" in their heads - is there a course on how to "do scary"?

Perhaps outdoor types may find BWP more their cup of tea, tapping into the noises in the darkness and all that sort of stuff.

If the producers of BWP had made a movie like The Changeling or The Haunting (featuring enchanted wheelchairs and bouncy balls) instead of their unique and original (most people haven't seen Cannibal Holocaust) take on woodland terrors, would the horror genre have sat up and listened as much as it was forced to?

rtbd
08-06-2005, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by 42ndStreetFreak
Overrated crap heap aimed at silly people who beleived the damn thing was true!
*sheesh*

yeah sure dont sit there and tell lies you thought the movie was true when you first saw the previews for it . Everyone did, plus i have seen most of your replies on here and you disagree with everyone about everything like you know it all well you dont

42ndStreetFreak
08-07-2005, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by rtbd
y Everyone did,

Er...No actually they didn't. Know why?
Well I'll enlighten you:

You see some of us live in a thing called 'reality'.
And in this 'reality' we don't see actual footage, shot by actual people, showing said actual people really being (it seems) murdered by something, with said actual people still missing presumed dead...appearing on cinema screens all over the world for your Saturday night entertainment next to the latest Tom Hanks flick at the local 10 screen multi-plex!!!
You see...'Reality', the thing some of us live in!

Stay the fuck away from movies man. You obviously can't work out the difference between fact and fiction and that makes you dangerous.

*Scans newspaper headlines for news of lone fantasist sitting on top of a water tower with a sniper rifle shooting at 'Aliens'*

rtbd
08-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Stay the fuck away from movies man. You obviously can't work out the difference between fact and fiction and that makes you dangerous.

Stay away from this site becuse you are about the most annoying and rude person on here they should ban your ass from here. Yes your dumbass thought it was real you just dont have the balls to say so. you think you are some high mighty film buff who knows everything about movies well guess what if you did you would spend half your time on here arguing with people. You would be out making films but instead you are sitting in your pathetic lil house waiting for someone who you can argue with on the comp becuse you have no life. So please do me a favor and never say anything to me again are quote me. Have a nice boring life in the UK

42ndStreetFreak
08-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by rtbd

Stay away from this site becuse you are about the most annoying and rude person on here they should ban your ass from here. Yes your dumbass thought it was real you just dont have the balls to say so. you think you are some high mighty film buff who knows everything about movies well guess what if you did you would spend half your time on here arguing with people. You would be out making films but instead you are sitting in your pathetic lil house waiting for someone who you can argue with on the comp becuse you have no life. So please do me a favor and never say anything to me again are quote me. Have a nice boring life in the UK

That...That...That...That was poetry man!
Never have I read such a fluid example of the English language. The hysterical spelling, the lack of capital letters, the grammar, the sentence structure.
Just beautiful. *sniff*

And I do have balls. Big swinging British balls.
But I still never thought "Blair Witch" was real for the reasons, you really should read again, above.
You obviously did though (why is that no surprise?) and now feel damn silly about it. But i'm sorry, I can't join you in that delusion as I have a rather lovely British thing called...Common sense!
*kiss* *kiss*

42ndStreetFreak
08-07-2005, 02:31 PM
rtbd:
Oh, and may I thank you (if I may be allowed to post on the board one more time with such personal crap) for the lovely, sweet and quite frankly UNHINGED message you left in my guestbook:

Man i have to say you and your family look like the Adams Family is that what Uk people really look like. I f so i am glad i am a real american

Thanks man. You provided my ADDAMS Family (you can't even spell your insults right!) with a good laugh.

EXTR3MIST
08-09-2005, 03:15 PM
They’re creepy and they're kooky,
Mysterious and spooky,
They’re all together ooky,
The Addams Family.

Their house is a museum.
When people come to see 'em
They really are a screa-um.
The Addams Family.

Neat

Sweet

Petite

So get a witch's shawl on.
A broomstick you can crawl on.
We're gonna pay a call on
The Addams Family.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you know of alternate lyrics to this song?
Tell us!

...........are you working Dave up, rtbd?

AWSTRICER
08-13-2005, 09:44 AM
I personally was horrified at the movie.I thought it was real while i was watching it but whats the proof that its fake.I mean i know it is im just curios.

RoLLiNLiGhTs
08-14-2005, 02:11 PM
The proof is....The actors in the movie are doing other movies....so, I would say that none of them are dead....
I just watched (can't remember his real name) "Josh" in Mad House...it was a pretty descent movie....

AWSTRICER
08-15-2005, 05:17 AM
O lol i just got another one.In the movie when one of the three kids went missing it showed two of them arguing and the camera following them.

doktorkoan
08-15-2005, 11:37 AM
The first time I saw it was in Autumn - my car was busted and I had to take a bus back. I thought it was an interesting experiment - Fox or UPN had done a TV alien abduction hoax special a few years before it that followed the same amateur movie method - so I didn't find it really original. But then I had to walk past the rainy, Autumn woods on my way back and it was suddenly a very spooky movie. Funny how little things will spin you feelings about a movie.

The_Return
08-20-2005, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by AWSTRICER
O lol i just got another one.In the movie when one of the three kids went missing it showed two of them arguing and the camera following them.

Actually, you see Heather lay the camera on a log, if ot's the part Im thinking of.

Cortonesi
08-21-2005, 04:01 AM
well, i think BWP is not a artistic film. My opinion is near to Jim Van Bebber opinion: is not art! Is a different concept.
I think BWP is a good idea and the marketing is great.
But if you know Cannibal holcaust by Ruggero Deodato you know the different to artistic film and BWP concept...

Francesco Cortonesi

Doc Faustus
08-21-2005, 11:04 AM
I went to see Blair Witch prepared for a really new horror movie experience. It does give a really new horror movie experience. It deserves credit for being new. So too does Coke Zero. Coke Zero is a unique diet cola experience. The Blair Witch Project is a unique horror film experience. I laughed my ass off when I saw both of them. On the other hand, there's not much like either.

EXTR3MIST
08-22-2005, 06:04 AM
See a doc, Doc.

miguelito
08-23-2005, 03:14 PM
Didn't you find the DVD extras like the documentary a much scarier stuff than the film itself?

EXTR3MIST
08-24-2005, 05:07 AM
No, not in the slightest.

The point of The Blair Witch Project is the barnstorming effectiveness of the film itself - the hokum surrounding the "is it real?" marketing campaign might appeal to conspiracy nuts, but it's all just pretend at the end of the day.

zanetti
08-24-2005, 05:45 AM
I agree. The DVD stuff was mere commercial speculation. But at least in similar experiments like Open Water there was some narrative coherence. I just couldn't follow Blair Witch.

EXTR3MIST
08-24-2005, 05:59 AM
I've studied the film intensely - what don't you follow?

zanetti
08-24-2005, 06:02 AM
I like to see a movie with beginning, middle and end. I know Blair Witch's strength is probably in the opposite, but I just found it hard to stick with it. In particular, I didn't get what was happening in the end.

EXTR3MIST
08-24-2005, 06:12 AM
If you like conventions, you are always going to be troubled by a movie like The Blair Witch Project - as it breaks just about all of them.

The ambiguous, inconclusive ending (are the screams from Josh? who or what could convince a man to stand quietly in the corner of a room while his screaming friend is attacked? is this force supernatural... or something else?) demands work from the viewer, and does not sit well with those who like everything tied up safe and sound by the end. Remember, what we are seeing is footage as it was supposedly "found" - we know as much as the authorities do, and probably a little less than the unfortunate students.

The sounds and images from the film stay with you, long into the night, when you want to forget it.

zanetti
08-24-2005, 06:14 AM
I think you are right. I want to take a much closer look at Blair Witch, after some time from my first screening. It did however leave on me a sense of discomfort...

EXTR3MIST
08-24-2005, 06:18 AM
Most people watch this in cinemas or noisy, well-lit homes where interruptions break the whole spell of the film.

In a conventional drama, we are always aware that we are watching a studio-production, and do not need to take it too seriously.

This is different - turn the lights off, turn up the sound, make no interruptions... and the rewards from The Blair Witch Project are awesome.

zanetti
08-24-2005, 09:41 AM
Thanks! I have watched the DVD only once, so it's time to retry and get the experience.

BLOODYDAMNED
08-28-2005, 04:10 PM
I liked part 2,didn't really care for part one.

EXTR3MIST
08-30-2005, 11:03 AM
I'll pray for your soul.

Firemedic
09-26-2005, 05:56 PM
This has got to be the most annoying movie in the world. Words can not describe how pissed off I was at the end of the movie with that guy just standing in the corner. What the fuck was that about, OH, I guess that was supposed to be scary. As for part 2, well I ll just keep that comment for myself.

PR3SSUR3
09-27-2005, 07:28 AM
Heh heh heh - the beauty of this diverse world we live in.

>Psst!<

I think the guy might have been having a wee in the corner....

alkytrio666
09-27-2005, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by BLOODYDAMNED
I liked part 2,didn't really care for part one.

*Throws up*