PDA

View Full Version : The Machinist

The_Return
06-05-2005, 01:26 PM
2 days until this gets released here on DVD. Cant friggin wait! Brad Anderson's last prject, Session 9, is one of my absolute favourite movies, Im really looking forward to this. Bale is also a great actor, and the plot sounds great. Ayone else psyched? How bout those whove seen it, how does it hold up? Im gonna rent it next weekend, I dont care if I should be studying for exams....

surfnazi
06-05-2005, 02:32 PM
Unfortunately I haven't seen it yet but it does sound very good considering Session 9 kicked so much ass. However from some reviews I've read it of it so far its not that good, but hey the critics always make mistakes.

Anyone know if its good?

The_Return
06-05-2005, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by surfnazi
Unfortunately I haven't seen it yet but it does sound very good considering Session 9 kicked so much ass. However from some reviews I've read it of it so far its not that good, but hey the critics always make mistakes.

Anyone know if its good?

Any URL's for these reviews of witch you speak? I havnt heared a single negative comment as yet, I would like to read them.

IDrinkYourBlood
06-05-2005, 05:12 PM
Session 9 was sub-par at best. Wouldent watch it again. But this is a good film which i shall purchase.

urgeok
06-05-2005, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by IDrinkYourBlood
Session 9 was sub-par at best. Wouldent watch it again. But this is a good film which i shall purchase.

sub-par at best ??!!!

to each his own i guess .. but i sure would love to hear your rationale for that ..

The STE
06-05-2005, 08:29 PM
The Machinist is the movie that launched Christian Bale from "Damn Good" to "Great", IMO. He threw himself into that role like I've hardly ever seen. Not just the weight loss, either, though that was grotesque and awe-inspiring at the same time. This was the best performance of that year by a pretty substantial margin (that's right, I said it! Hell with Jamie Foxx!) The plot has been done before but is decent, so don't expect a lot there. This movie is 100% Christian Bale.

ShankS
06-05-2005, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by The_Return
2 days until this gets released here on DVD. Cant friggin wait! Brad Anderson's last prject, Session 9, is one of my absolute favourite movies, Im really looking forward to this. Bale is also a great actor, and the plot sounds great. Ayone else psyched? How bout those whove seen it, how does it hold up? Im gonna rent it next weekend, I dont care if I should be studying for exams....

bloody good film, don't pay attention to trashy critics, they don't know how to review.

arron wardlaw
06-06-2005, 11:27 AM
what is session 9 i must have overlooked it

urgeok
06-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by arron wardlaw

psychological/horror (or is it)

great movie...

The_Return
06-06-2005, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by arron wardlaw

One of the best movies of the 2000's, highly reccomended. It's about a team of workeres hired to do asbestos removal in an old, abandoned insane asylum [It was filmed/set in the actual Danvers mental hospital in Mass.]. Strange things start to happen...is the past living to repeat itself? Or could there be something much more sinister?

This is an incredible movie. The directing by Brad Anderson is great [Some of the shots of the hospital exterior were beathtaking], and most of the actors wre good aswell. Unlike many movies of the modern-day, it leaves alot for you to figure out on your own, it doesnt come right out and say everyting. You can form theories, there are no concrete answers. This is the main reason I thought it was great.

Wow....I really went on there.....

Anyway, Ive convinced my dad to let me rent The Machinist this weekend if I study for exams at least 30 min. per day. So, thats a pretty good deal, Id say.

arron wardlaw
06-07-2005, 10:12 AM
sounds good , thanks for the info return i will be sure to look it out soon. Nice choice of fave movies by the way i take it your a big fan of british movies( no shit!). The dr phibes films are superb , i do like an inventive death myself

horrifying
06-08-2005, 04:25 PM
i liked session 9 good movie

mothermold
06-08-2005, 08:03 PM

just rented it tonite.looking foward to it.i read bale ate 1 apple and 1 can a tuna a day to get his wasted look for the film.....now that's commitment!

...RESPECT!!:p

BH14
06-23-2005, 09:19 PM
just rented the machinist as well... i heard only good things about it. ill give my review about it later.

Deposable
06-23-2005, 11:35 PM
Easily one of the greatest movies of all time. I say that a lot, joking. but The Machinist is one of the most haunting movies, I ever seen.

I could type a essay about how good this movie is, but you gotta see it for yourself

AUSTIN316426808
06-24-2005, 02:51 AM
It's a great film which Bale owns. It's kinda like Suspiria in the sense that every aspect is just average or slightly above but the direction and style is so phenomenal that it elevates the film from being average or slightly above to great, in the Machinist instead of the direction and style elevating the film it's Bale's performance. It imo was the second best film and the best male performance of '04.

IDrinkYourBlood
06-24-2005, 10:27 AM
purchased this dvd last night finally and watched it. It is a really great movie. I loved the colors in the movie, felt like it was real. 4/5.

BH14
06-24-2005, 10:32 AM
I agree.... I think its the best movie i seen in 2004 (i just rented it last night and gonna buy it now).... Christian Bale did another great job. He literally was a skeleton in the movie. The plot was great. Acting was amazing. And the ending is a real shocker.... There are ton of clues that the movie gives us and I understood most of them but the ending was shocking. Fight Club, Session 9, Donnie Darko, etc cant even compare to this movie. And i liked those movies. Bale was better in this movie than American Psycho. Just listening to the score of this movie and it feels like a Hitchcock movie. There is lot of suspense and you will be creeped out a few times. I love the haunted house part. I highly recommend this movie..... More movies like this should be made and given much more press than the crap thats been out. It not a horror movie but more of a suspense/thriller but you all will definetly love this movie.

nine9
06-25-2005, 07:16 PM

OMG! Just had to post to this! Session 9 is one of my favorite movies too, and I gave The Machinist 10/10 it was excellent!

Never thought I would ever agree with you.................but on this one you ROCK! :D

BH14
06-25-2005, 09:23 PM
Its pretty sad when I go to the videostore and they got like 4 boxcovers of the Machinist on DVD..... Then they have like 40 Boogeyman boxcovers.... what the hell! Shame on you Blockbuster.

nine9
06-25-2005, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by BH14
Its pretty sad when I go to the videostore and they got like 4 boxcovers of the Machinist on DVD..... Then they have like 40 Boogeyman boxcovers.... what the hell! Shame on you Blockbuster.

So true.........Boogeyman......totally sucked ass..............what a waste of time.........I could just kill whoever made that damn piece of shit, and made MONEY on it!:mad:

AlterEgoCinema
06-25-2005, 11:41 PM
too bad this movie didn't come out about 6 months after Batman instead of 6 months or whatver before. what did it gross about 1 million? a shame, such a great film, but of course it took a big movie to get a great actor and a great film recognized, but at least it is getting recognized now.

nine9
06-26-2005, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by AlterEgoCinema
too bad this movie didn't come out about 6 months after Batman instead of 6 months or whatver before. what did it gross about 1 million? a shame, such a great film, but of course it took a big movie to get a great actor and a great film recognized, but at least it is getting recognized now.

Very true but that type of film is never box office gold. especially if you consider that the so called masses who actually make up the majority of theatre goers, exist using just one brain cell. The Machinist is too good to be that popular. :rolleyes: :p

AUSTIN316426808
06-26-2005, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by AlterEgoCinema

actually what's sad is that it still isn't getting recognized, Bale is/should be getting recognized but he's only been in the Mainstream for two weeks now so even that's going to take awhile and by the time he does get his deserved recognition for Batman they wont be talking about the Machinist they'll be talking about his next project whatever that may be.

You probably wont hear about the Machinist until he's on Inside the Actor's Studio or some other show that actually pays attention to the actor/actress/director's career instead of useless bullshit gossip like who he's dating or how much money he spends on shoes.

dio
06-26-2005, 12:37 PM
this is a good movie but imo is not the best movie of 2004. bale is a good actor and not only for the machinist but for empire of the sun, american psycho also. the movie has good directing and good actors but i don't think the story is so original as you've been talking

AUSTIN316426808
06-26-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by dio
bale is a good actor

give the man more credit than that

The_Return
06-26-2005, 02:18 PM
I was actually more attracted to this 'cause of the director, rather than Bale. Before this, all Id seen him was the remake of Shaft, which was good, but he wasnt good enough in that to make me wanna see a movie just causehe was in it. However, I plan to check out more as soon as I can, 'cause he was great in this:)

BH14
06-26-2005, 02:50 PM
Return= you should definitely check out "American Psycho" as well if you havent seen that movie.

xGuardianx03
07-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Just browsing through when I came across this thread. I just saw The Machinist about a week ago and I thought it was great. If you're a fan of Christian Bale and sci-fi type movies, you should check out Equilibrium, another great movie.

no mulier
08-17-2005, 03:52 AM
Having been thoroughly impressed with watching the Machinist...and then reading this thread mentioning Session 9 got me pretty excited.

To tell you the truth, it was a letdown. Not a big one...nevertheless.

It had aesthetic style and breathtaking cinematography. Interesting angles. The atmosphere coupled with the eerie soundscape creeped me out even from the beginning. Unfortunately from the last quarter of the film, a huge gaping hole opened up and swallowed everything that was built up from the start. I lost touch with the film, and not by reason of losing the thread of the story.

I'm sorry and sad to say that the film failed to deliver the goods. Brad Anderson's directorial style is evident. He definitely knows his trade, but in this film he overdid flash, show, and fluff over the meat of the story. I can appreciate the idea behind it, but its execution could have been better.

Disappointed, but still liked it.

slasherman
08-17-2005, 05:03 AM
pretty good...reminded me a little bir of "Vertigo"