PDA

View Full Version : house of a 1000 coprses

kung-fu-jesus
05-11-2005, 01:15 PM
one of my friends has really been pissing me off latley, screaming how good house of a 1000 corpses is. i personaly liked it but i dint think that it was all that good of a film( no offense to rob zombie, his music is better than his movie). i am looking foward to the sequle "the devils rejects"(it looks alot better than the first and its primarily about my fav characters from the first one, captain spalding, baby, and ottis)

so i want to know your opinions on the house, and id also like some imput on what you think of the upcomming movie.

phantomstranger
05-11-2005, 02:32 PM
To be perfectely honest, I thought the movie was awful. Lousy acting and no scares at all.

urgeok
05-11-2005, 02:32 PM
i think its the closest movie ever to recapture the insanity of the origional Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

I thought it was great.

knife_fight
05-11-2005, 02:50 PM
I thought it was great, only b/c it was (to me) the only truly aggressive horror film that had been released to nationwide theatres in a long time.

ShankS
05-11-2005, 04:05 PM
check out the Rejects official site, plenty of good trailers there.

http://www.thedevilsrejects.com/

urgeok
05-11-2005, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by knife_fight
I thought it was great, only b/c it was (to me) the only truly aggressive horror film that had been released to nationwide theatres in a long time.

not just aggressive .. you could plainly tell it was made by a crazed fan of the genre ... not just some talentless hack under contract to produce uninspired low rent trash.

the entheusiasm oozed from this movie ..

jenna26
05-11-2005, 08:12 PM
I went into watching this movie expecting a bit too much, I think and as a result, I am not really a fan of it. After my first viewing, I really trashed it, but since then I have been a little easier on it because some it really is good. The soundtrack was great, I think Zombie is a genuine horror fan and that seemed to add a little something to it. And I do also think he has an eye for the bloody stuff. But it never really grabbed me.

I will say that I am looking forward to Devil's Rejects even if I am not exactly wild about this one.

ItsAlive75
05-11-2005, 09:04 PM
House of 1000 Corpses suuuuuucked.

Good thing there was some eye candy with Rob's wife, or I woulda been gone

mothermold
05-11-2005, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by kung-fu-jesus
one of my friends has really been pissing me off latley, screaming how good house of a 1000 corpses is. i personaly liked it but i dint think that it was all that good of a film( no offense to rob zombie, his music is better than his movie). i am looking foward to the sequle "the devils rejects"(it looks alot better than the first and its primarily about my fav characters from the first one, captain spalding, baby, and ottis)

so i want to know your opinions on the house, and id also like some imput on what you think of the upcomming movie.

i own house and i'll say it's entertaining...but far from great.it seamed like rob's homage to texas chainsaw.if the main "hero" characters were'nt such pussy's it woulda been loads better.

knife_fight
05-11-2005, 11:25 PM
I'll admit the bio-mechanical Dr Satan (terrible name) kinda lost me. And I honestly didn't like the soundtrack too much, it seemed a little too forced or something.
where it won me was the drawn out shooting of that deputy, that was great. I really enjoyed knowing that there were filmmakers out there who truly wanted to make the audience uncomfortable. of course, the 2nd time I saw it there were the typical redneck dipshits who kept going "Boom!" "Boom!" and completely ruining the moment, only b/c they simply couldn't take it... pussies.

Vodstok
05-12-2005, 06:48 AM
I didnt think it was very good, but i did enjoy it. The DVD menu was my favorite part.

Who didnt like seeing the host of "Siingled out" get murdered?

mothermold
05-12-2005, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by knife_fight
the 2nd time I saw it there were the typical redneck dipshits who kept going "Boom!" "Boom!" and completely ruining the moment, only b/c they simply couldn't take it... pussies.

..it's moments like that when you wish you had a cattle prod,i know i have.

and another thing that bothered me was the fact that raine wilson's character deneied Baby's advances.i wonder had he "got down" with her would he still be alive?

Dante'sInferno
05-12-2005, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by urgeok
not just aggressive .. you could plainly tell it was made by a crazed fan of the genre ... not just some talentless hack under contract to produce uninspired low rent trash.

the entheusiasm oozed from this movie .. Agreed.

mothermold
05-12-2005, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by urgeok

the entheusiasm oozed from this movie ..

i don't question rob's integrity or entheusiasm,i've seen footage of his house it's a shrine to all things horror.the thing that irritated the hell outta me was the lack of substance.every character with the exception of captan spaulding and tom towles seemed completly contrived,you did'nt care if the "good" guys got slaughtered.the addition of dr.satan and his zombies also appeared cramed in there for no good reason.

all that aside i have higher hopes for devil's rejects.

crippler666
05-16-2005, 08:25 PM
A great film that alot of people missed the point of...

... it was a mixture of 60's pop television, steriotypical cast and a plot we had all seen before

In short he made a film that is exactly what the public normally complains about

MrShape
05-26-2005, 11:51 AM
I've said this before in this forum, but I liked House Of 1000 Corpses allright. Totally unpretentious exploitation. Didn't try to be anything other then what it was. Looks like the sequel'll be pretty cool, too. I get to meet Rob Zombie again at the Fangoria Convention next week.

blackknight
06-27-2005, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by ItsAlive75
House of 1000 Corpses suuuuuucked.

Good thing there was some eye candy with Rob's wife, or I woulda been gone

Amen. The eye candy kept me watching too.
I personally thought it was a piss - poor ripoff of TCM and Natural Born Killers.

AUSTIN316426808
06-28-2005, 02:21 AM
I thought it was ok

I think there were some uncalled for scenes that the film could've done without.

urgeok
06-28-2005, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by blackknight
Amen. The eye candy kept me watching too.
I personally thought it was a piss - poor ripoff of TCM and Natural Born Killers.

i never felt the 'rip off' vibe.
i thought it was done 'in the spirit of'

a movie made by a fan who wanted to relive the madness in his own way.

a lot of movies tried to BE TCM, and failed.

1000 corpses tried to BE LIKE TCM and did a great job .. in my eyes anyway

blackknight
06-28-2005, 09:33 AM
We must have seen a different movie cause it just screamed rip off to me. Especially the edits reminded me too much of TBK.

TheOmen
06-29-2005, 12:31 AM
It's an okay movie. The problem is, you can't just regurgitate a story word for word, scene for scene. Change the story and up the ante, don't send me that homage bullshit. I'd venture a guess and say Corpses is 60% TCM, and 30% every other movie of the 70's.

urgeok
06-29-2005, 06:05 AM
1000 corpses wasnt an homage really ...

its like a guy who lived for those kinds of movies so he wanted to make one just like it ...
i dont think zombie made any bones about it ...
he just applied his own vision to the same theme (insane backwoods freaks terrorizing and killing people)

there have been a lot of movies where i would say after - i wish there were more movies like this ... thats how i felt about 1000 corpses.
i never left thinking - 'that guy tried to pass this film off like he invented the idea' ...

AngelaBaker
06-29-2005, 05:09 PM
i liked it but I have seen better

EXTR3MIST
07-01-2005, 04:59 AM
Totally unpretentious exploitation. Didn't try to be anything other then what it was.

The trouble with this and several other recent movies is the influence of films like TCM and The Hills Have Eyes is so glaringly obvious it sells more like a product than a piece of art.

Dusty desert-scape scenery? Check.

Deranged, murderous "family"? Check.

Lots of screaming, doomed teens in peril? Check check.

Throw in some familiar horror/cult actors, a dark/gothic heavy metaller-type director and experimental ("unsettling"?) camerawork and you're good to go - the latest Return To Hardcore Horror.

It all seems rather strained to me - doubtless the kids will love it, but I would prefer less "knowing" plagiarism in future and some more original ideas not requiring so much... madcap craziness? (The supposedly creepy imagery in House of 1000 Corpses really made no impact whatsoever).

Jorg Buttgereit and Eric Stanze's work is far less derivative with the power to shock and disturb without resorting to this kind of thing.

TheOmen
07-01-2005, 12:28 PM
I just have to say, I do appreciate Zombie for what he's done. The fact is, maybe this will open up Hollywood for true horror movies, where they are actually hardcore horror and not Scream(which I like) or PG13 crap fests where they try to scare you by sudden jumps and other cheap tricks..

Kreech
07-01-2005, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by mothermold
i don't question rob's integrity or entheusiasm,i've seen footage of his house it's a shrine to all things horror.the thing that irritated the hell outta me was the lack of substance.every character with the exception of captan spaulding and tom towles seemed completly contrived,you did'nt care if the "good" guys got slaughtered.the addition of dr.satan and his zombies also appeared cramed in there for no good reason.

all that aside i have higher hopes for devil's rejects.

This is exactly why i love the movie. It's one of those where i lay in bed the night after i've seen it and think about how would i have acted if put in the main character (good guys) suituation.

Maybe it's only me that does that, but i liked this movie.

EXTR3MIST
07-03-2005, 07:22 AM
At least, like The Blair Witch Project, Scream and Ring, this movie makes enough impact to fuel discussion of a possible new direction of the horror genre.

Even if that new direction may involve digging up old ideas and selling them to a new or retro audience...

BH14
07-13-2005, 02:31 PM
I just picked this movie up because I will probably go see "Devil's Rejects" in couple weeks. I gotta see part 1 before part 2. I'll review it later tonight.

42ndStreetFreak
07-13-2005, 03:42 PM
DAMN fine movie!

Yes...it took many ideas from "TCM", "TCM 2", "Funhouse", "Deranged", "Tourist Trap" etc etc...But so what?
It played around with many ideas as do most horror films.
Yet Zombie still styled these elements into something that was it's own film, has many of it's own tricks and visual stylings and managed to (as far as anyone can in this environment and the way the industry is today) deliver some of the feeling and appeal of those 70's Drive-In films.

Of course no multi million dollar, made in the multi-plex world, film can ever be like those pioneering titles...But (with a budget $21 million dollars less than the new "Dawn" and $2.5 million less than the new "Texas Chainsaw" and far less spent on advertising) this is about as close as you will get.

Rob Zombie brought his own love of horror, his sense of carnival showmanship and his rock n roll stylings to HIS film. So what!
When YOU direct a movie YOU can bring yourself to it. And what's wrong with that!?

There was sometimes an overuse of the flashy edit...but in general the deranged 'video' montages of the Family's psychotic activity's and lifestyle worked very well in showing what they were like but without slowing down or diverting from the main plot.
And they contained some GREAT images! Not least of which were the bloodied and battered Cheerleaders and 'Baby' kissing and playing with the skeletal corpse.

The mad back roads atmosphere was captured better than it has been in many years, and the grotesque backroads carnival haunt of Capt Spaulding was just perfect!
As were the 'video' images of the serial killers as the tourists went through the exhibit. I for one love this kind of backroads/dust bowl psycho romp!!

Zombie perhaps had too many characters (you could have easily lost the tow truck guy Rufus, and just have Tiny or Otis do it) in the Family...But hey! At least he gave us the best damn Family since the truly superb (and untouchable) family in "TCM".
We had some wonderfully deranged set-pieces with them, and some great dialogue. And just how damn entertaining was Capt Spaulding?! Great work from Sid "Spider Baby" Haig!

Lets pile on more goodness...The excellent finale in the underground charnel house! The scene of Dr Satan's experiments bursting from the muddied water and ripping the coffin apart was one of the best realised scenes seen in a horror film for many a year.
The nasty idea was top notch exploitation too! All those deformed, menatally warped 'things' in that cess pit as the crazy Doc (a wonderful looking creation) experiments on screaming victims!!...Top work.

And the scene of the daughter being kiseed by the dead skin mask of her own father was sheer exploitation joy!

Then we have the 'will not to bow down to the crowd pleasing, cop-put crap of "Wrong Turn"' attitude where the hip star has to be saved after only receiving a little, itty bitty scratch!

This was a rock 'n' roll, carnival tinged, purposely over the top fan homage that never tried to make out it was a completley original work and never tried to hide the fact it WAS playing with the ideas from other film's of that ilk...
It knew it was..Zombie knew it was...And he assumed that fans of these films would be happy to see these ideas being used in a repectful and well made way...which is what THIS fan at least thought he did do..and was very thankful for it.

Sadly others would rather wallow in name leeching re-make movies and poorly thought out cop-out stuff like "Wrong Turn" while spitting venom at Rob Zombie for creating one of the best and most satisfying and *shock* nasty horror films in the past decade.
It's a hell of a shame!

BH14
07-13-2005, 06:00 PM
I watched this movie tonight with a grim disturbing look on my face for an hour and half... It wasnt because I thought this movie was bad... It was because this movie is pretty good with all its disturbing imagery. The sick and gross imagery were amazing. It never really lets up either. And yes, it does take certain aspects of TCM but does that mean there should never be another movie with some psychotic murdering family?? Ofcourse not, thats ridiculous. Just consider it a sub-genre such as the crazed hillbillies or something. There arent many of these types of crazed family movies around and I think there should be more. The different type of characters were pretty cool as well... I thought Baby was great. Whats bad about this movie was the constant flashes of another scene... It wasnt necessary as much as they did it but it was good. I also would like to sympathize more with the victims because I really didnt know them that well and therefore I really didnt care if they died. Nevertheless, this movie is good and its definetly worth a rent.... Im definetly going to check out "The Devil's Rejects" now. I give it an 8/10 because the movie is pretty sick and its good to see a movie taken to an R level. Im lil surprise that lot of people bashed it.

RoLLiNLiGhTs
07-14-2005, 05:38 PM
To me...this movie reminded me of another movie, then I started to think...aw, yes....
This movie reminded me of almost horror movie I've ever seen. It had a little of most of 'em rolled into one....

I mean thats great if you can make a buck off of remaking most of the classics in one movie...

How many people remember the old Batman t.v. show¿
Everytime he put one of those lame music clips in there.....thats all That would pop in my head.......

Sorry ...I thought this movie was terrible...

crippler666
07-16-2005, 02:43 AM
Most people complain about this film just being like another film (TCM), well wait a moment most films immitate others now anyway

You could kiss goodbye to vampire movies, werewolves, slasher movies, psychocological thrillers, the list is endless

Then we could start on the sequels
Immitation is the best form of flattery, this film does pay homage to the TCM and is violent just as in TCM

The next thing you know we all have around 50 horror movies (i'm being generous)

Nothing now is original, the last time it was was during the 70's and early 80's (there still was a lot of it going on though back then)

As I have said before, you hate this film for the reason it was made, it was made in humour so people could hate it

Look at the original TCM, poorly acted, poorly scripted, casted with the wrong people and yet now people love it, the point of the film was violence

42ndStreetFreak
07-16-2005, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by crippler666
Look at the original TCM, poorly acted, poorly scripted, casted with the wrong people

Well I was agreeing with you until this part!!! Wrong man...so, so wrong.

crippler666
07-20-2005, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by 42ndStreetFreak

Before everyone jumps at me for this, at the time this originally came out an all "teenage" cast was unheard of, most films relied upon older actors with teenagers taking the smaller roles

AUSTIN316426808
07-20-2005, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by 42ndStreetFreak

same here

If nobody could act or fit into their roles and the script sucked I have a hard time believing it would be as liked as it is.

42ndStreetFreak
07-21-2005, 09:35 AM
The casting of the Family is spot on perfect in "TCM". Wonderfully acted, wonderfully crafted characters.
The 'teens' are no better or worse than most, but Marilyn Burns ripped the screen up during the finale to give what is still THE definative woman in peril performance.

crippler666
07-21-2005, 06:13 PM
My point was the teens...

Just because a movie is well acted & well scripted doesn't make it a success and it works the same in reverse

I liked TCM, but just like Clockwork Orange I could not see what all the fuss was about

I was a young child when they was released, after seeing the adverts I wanted to see them both

In britain they was both band (eventually released with cuts until recently)

I watched them as a teenager and finally uncut as an adult and whilst they was violent, i did not see what all the fuss was about

The media made those films calling for them to be band (please note as i have said before i like the films), but I do beleave without the media attention and people telling their children not to watch these "Video Nasties" they might not hold the status they do today

42ndStreetFreak
07-21-2005, 07:06 PM
"TCM" was certainly a sort of let down to me the first time I saw it as it was not the gore drenched item I assumed it to be...But once I knew that, a second viewing was adored and it's been that way ever since.
And I still think the 'dinner scene' is hands down one of the most unrelenting and utterly brutal sequwnces in any horror film full stop.

Never liked "Clockwork" and could not see what the fuss was...but it's place in censorship history is very important as is it's opening of the studio/mainstream door (along with "Straw Dogs") to the ultra violent 70's.

I agree that it was 'hype' that meant the first viewing of "TCM" was under false assumptions...but it's a hype trap that is still there today because:

"TCM" has always been fully uncut in the UK and it's banning is not a simple case.
It was given an uncut 'X' for showing in London cinemas, it was withdrawn from VHS when the Video Recordings Act came into being (as were ALL films) and no one submitted it for certification after, and companies were advised not to bother later on.
And then it was released uncut again more recently. But whenever it has ben avaialable it's always been uncut and no 'in circulation' print was ever banned. It was also never on the 'Video Nasties' list, but is perhaps the one title that people always assume was! :)

"Clockwork" was never initially banned in the UK. It went out uncut and was only later withdrawn and refused permission to be screened again in the UK by Kubrik HIMSELF. No censor banned it.
This self-imposed ban was ended years later when Kubril took the stupid thing to the grave with him. The video was then passed uncut.

Zombie did overhype the content of "Corpses" and led many to think it was going to be some kind of gore bonanza, but even then i thought it was one of THE most full-on horror films to get a mainstream release for many years.
I had already read the (totally unjustified) hate campaign against the film on The Net before i saw it and so, unlike "TCM", i was not under a false assumption content wise.
But as it turned out it was a real surprise anyway.

crippler666
07-22-2005, 03:51 AM
As far as i was aware in 1984 after someone claimed to have watched "video nasties" he killed some of his family blaiming the movies for his actions.

In amoungst the ones he blaimed was TCM. Led by Mary Whitehouse (I hate the woman) she had it passed that any movie released before 1985 and onwards would have to be put in for censorship.

As far as I knew 1min 45seconds was removed until 1996 when it was given a certificate and a warning was put on the front (rental).

It did eventually come out on sell through with 45seconds of cuts

Last year finally on DVD was released in its original format.

EXTR3MIST
07-22-2005, 04:16 AM
Nah, it wasn't available until 1999 when Blue Dolphin released it on sell-through video - fully uncut.

42ndStreetFreak
07-22-2005, 04:26 AM
Yeah...it was uncut for cinema screening in London only with an 'X'.

It was then on pre-cert VHS uncut.
Later withdrawn because of the VRA.

Then, years later, it was released again on sell-through VHS fully uncut and since then also on DVD.

We've never cut it, and it's never been on the Video Nasties list.

And there was far more than just one case (and far more people than Mary Whitehouse) involved in the eventual VRA being passed... http://www.beardyfreak.com/nasties.php