PDA

View Full Version : The Martial Arts Almanac

Dante'sInferno
05-09-2005, 11:33 PM
Just got this about 2 weeks ago havent really sat down and read it but today i flipped some pages and this book is preety cool it has some instructions for basic fighting moves of Tae Kwon Doe,Karate,ju jitsu. Plus it has martial arts biography's ranging from Bruce lee to Jackie Chan.....im still reading this though. So what do u guys think?

Jim Allcorn
05-26-2005, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by Dante'sInferno
Just got this about 2 weeks ago havent really sat down and read it but today i flipped some pages and this book is preety cool it has some instructions for basic fighting moves of Tae Kwon Doe,Karate,ju jitsu. Plus it has martial arts biography's ranging from Bruce lee to Jackie Chan.....im still reading this though. So what do u guys think?

Sounds like an interesting read if you're a martial arts practisioner or enthusiast. But, what in THE green hell has it got to do with anything in a bloody horror forum?!! :mad:

urgeok
05-26-2005, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by Jim Allcorn
Sounds like an interesting read if you're a martial arts practisioner or enthusiast. But, what in THE green hell has it got to do with anything in a bloody horror forum?!! :mad:

there's actually a lot of cross over in the 2 genres

Jim Allcorn
05-26-2005, 06:24 AM
Sorry dude, I couldn't help myself there...
Had to try to get one over on you. ;) :D

Seriously now, it sounds like an interesting read & I believe I've seen the almanac of which you speak in shops & stores & browsed through it on occasion. If it's the one I'm thinking of, you've got a good comprehensive tome there that should provide for a lot of interesting reading.

So, do you train in any particular discipline or are you using the almanac as a tool in which to choose arts to perhaps study someday?

Me?
I'm an old codger who first developed an interest in the martial arts as a kid along with the rest of the country during the "Kung Fu craze" of the mid 1970's when Bruce Lee movies were all the rage & KUNG FU was popular on television.
Actually though, if I'm honest, I was ahead of the times a bit because I first REALLY became interested after seeing a film called BILLY JACK in the early 70's, a year or two before the wave of chinese films hit these shores.
BILLY JACK's star Tom Laughlin was a Hapkido practisioner in real life & used it extensively in the film. Of course I didn't know what the heck I was watching him do onscreen, but I knew I liked it!
Being only 10 or 11 years old at the time though, there was no way for me to follow up on that interest.
Until a couple years later when the Bruce Lee movies came out & suddenly everyone knew what Kung Fu & Karate were.
At 13 or 14 I convinsed my parents to sign me up for lesons & a lifelong involvement began in the fighting arts. It took me a long round about way to get where I'm at today though.
I struggled during those early years as I just couldn't remain interested in any a discipline for very long. I went from school to school & trained on & off in Okinawan Karate-Do, Tae Kwon Do & even Judo. But nothing really clicked with me.
I got to yellow belt a couple of times & then just got bored. I couldn't stand any sort of katas or forms & point sparring wasn't really much more interesting to me. So I drifted away...
Until I became interested in boxing.
I began training in boxing the day after my 17th birthday & right away I knew I'd found my true calling.
I trained & fought out of Buffalo, New York for the next couple of years, but then switched to a gym that was closer to where I lived at the time outside of Niagara Falls. And, this new gym was also a kickboxing gym as well as a boxing gym. Which got me into doing some crosstraining & down the line rekindled my interest in other forms of martial arts & combatives.
Over the next several years, while I continued to box, I trained for a black belt in kickboxing & then, studied a form of Hawaiian Kenpo which was developed by my training partner & instructor Mark McIntyre into a hybrid combative called Dragonfist Kenpo. Which I eventually became a blackbelt in as well.

Anyhow, that's my rather long & drawn out story about the martial arts ( or combatives as I now prefer to refer to them as ), what's yours?

urgeok
05-26-2005, 06:29 AM
i've never taken a martial art ..

but i've seen a ton of martial art movies - and a ton of horror movies and a number of horror meets martial art movies ..

you'll see references to asian films all over the forum ..

what draws people to horror ? sex and violence ..

martial arts films are films about violence ..

a natural fit for the forum...

Creighton Duke
05-26-2005, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Jim Allcorn
Sorry dude, I couldn't help myself there...
Had to try to get one over on you. ;) :D

Seriously now, it sounds like an interesting read & I believe I've seen the almanac of which you speak in shops & stores & browsed through it on occasion. If it's the one I'm thinking of, you've got a good comprehensive tome there that should provide for a lot of interesting reading.

So, do you train in any particular discipline or are you using the almanac as a tool in which to choose arts to perhaps study someday?

Me?
I'm an old codger who first developed an interest in the martial arts as a kid along with the rest of the country during the "Kung Fu craze" of the mid 1970's when Bruce Lee movies were all the rage & KUNG FU was popular on television.
Actually though, if I'm honest, I was ahead of the times a bit because I first REALLY became interested after seeing a film called BILLY JACK in the early 70's, a year or two before the wave of chinese films hit these shores.
BILLY JACK's star Tom Laughlin was a Hapkido practisioner in real life & used it extensively in the film. Of course I didn't know what the heck I was watching him do onscreen, but I knew I liked it!
Being only 10 or 11 years old at the time though, there was no way for me to follow up on that interest.
Until a couple years later when the Bruce Lee movies came out & suddenly everyone knew what Kung Fu & Karate were.
At 13 or 14 I convinsed my parents to sign me up for lesons & a lifelong involvement began in the fighting arts. It took me a long round about way to get where I'm at today though.
I struggled during those early years as I just couldn't remain interested in any a discipline for very long. I went from school to school & trained on & off in Okinawan Karate-Do, Tae Kwon Do & even Judo. But nothing really clicked with me.
I got to yellow belt a couple of times & then just got bored. I couldn't stand any sort of katas or forms & point sparring wasn't really much more interesting to me. So I drifted away...
Until I became interested in boxing.
I began training in boxing the day after my 17th birthday & right away I knew I'd found my true calling.
I trained & fought out of Buffalo, New York for the next couple of years, but then switched to a gym that was closer to where I lived at the time outside of Niagara Falls. And, this new gym was also a kickboxing gym as well as a boxing gym. Which got me into doing some crosstraining & down the line rekindled my interest in other forms of martial arts & combatives.
Over the next several years, while I continued to box, I trained for a black belt in kickboxing & then, studied a form of Hawaiian Kenpo which was developed by my training partner & instructor Mark McIntyre into a hybrid combative called Dragonfist Kenpo. Which I eventually became a blackbelt in as well.

Anyhow, that's my rather long & drawn out story about the martial arts ( or combatives as I now prefer to refer to them as ), what's yours?

Has any one ever noticed how many people who practice any kind of martial art love to talk about themselves at great length and about their sport. Its really boring and very big headed.