PDA

View Full Version : horror gets a bum rap!!!

allmykids
11-23-2003, 07:43 AM
I feel like horror movies are not taken as a true art, 80% are slamed by critics. I have heard the critics just rip these movies apart,they don't get the credit they deserve. the truth is they crank out all these horror movies they would not keep them coming like they do if they where not making the cash. any thoughts?

MichaelMyers
11-23-2003, 07:56 AM
It takes a certain mindset to appreciate these movies, especially for what they are. I think a lot of the critics go into the theatre expecting to be disappointed.

abbycomix
11-23-2003, 07:59 AM
I think Ebert seems to be able to enjoy genre films. (After all the guy did work on Beyond the Valley of the Dolls with Russ Meyer!). Plus I remember hearing he gave Evil Dead 2 a positive review. But overall you are right they aren't usually considered art. People are so pretentious! Especially reviewers, it's their job I guess. At least there's Joe Bob Briggs. Have you read his books?

allmykids
11-23-2003, 09:31 AM
I don't do much reading, it takes to long to find out what is going on. I just wait for the movie. they need people who like horror to review these movies.

teenagezombie
11-23-2003, 10:00 AM
personaly i dont even see the point in having movie critics, most of the time their review is the complete opposite of wut the public thinks, so wuts the point in them being there in the first place???

mudsliptones
11-23-2003, 10:17 AM
in the daily critiscist day, whatdoes a good movie need

good story, sometimes some special shit in it, like die hard (turn of events), good cast, length of the movie, endings, originality

and in their oppinions horror movies all fail these things

but hell, you gotta see it in the right context, I mean, the original night of the living dead isn't spooky, goor or anything these days, back then, it ruled
the best horror movies are those on a low budget (not the hollywood shit where 20 people write on the same script) off course low budget means that the FX will be bad, so what

allmykids
11-23-2003, 01:16 PM
they need to rate horror in a different way scare factor, gore and so on.

crazy clown
11-23-2003, 01:23 PM
critics only like thought provoking films that are boring as crap. its not just horror that gets a bad rap, comedies and science fiction films get bad ones too. unless its something like "a beautiful mind" or "the shawshank redemption" it won't get a positive review.

allmykids
11-23-2003, 01:27 PM
Guess they have no taste!!! horror RULES!!!

Arioch
11-23-2003, 01:42 PM
I feel like horror movies are not taken as a true art,

Ya alot of critiques still dont see the art of scaring people as an art.

avenger00soul
11-24-2003, 05:52 AM
Critics are just giving their opinions, so in effect we are all critics. I usually only read what they write after viewing the movie so that I've already made up my mind about the flick and see if they agree with me or not. Usually not. Although Dark City is one of Ebert's favorite movies.:)

DarkwingMantis
11-24-2003, 09:20 AM
I have to give ol tubby ass ebert credit where it is due. he has liked several horror movies in the past. Donnie Darko, Evil dead 2 (he gave 3/4 stars) and called Dawn of the dead one of the best horror movies ever. But lets face it, the recent batch of horror released theatrically (excepting tcm, fvj, and jeepers creepers) have kinda blew anyway, and most straight to video releases never get reviewed except by Fango and the like

FreddyFan
11-24-2003, 02:42 PM
yeah I agree. critics don't give horror movies the credit they deserve. Ebert I think likes horror movies because he gives a lot of them a thumbs up.

allmykids
09-03-2005, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by crazy clown
critics only like thought provoking films that are boring as crap. its not just horror that gets a bad rap, comedies and science fiction films get bad ones too. unless its something like "a beautiful mind" or "the shawshank redemption" it won't get a positive review.

Alot of horror movies are thought provoking............. like who's the killer and how do you kill him and so on. LOL!!
Just wish they would get someone in there that likes horror. I also think there are a lot of B rated horror that goes unoticed. Like the pupetmaster movies, the dead hate the living, in the mouth of madness and so on.

ItsAlive75
09-03-2005, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by teenagezombie
personaly i dont even see the point in having movie critics, most of the time their review is the complete opposite of wut the public thinks, so wuts the point in them being there in the first place???

Because usually the public is really, really stupid. Remember how many people went and saw White Chicks?

RoLLiNLiGhTs
09-03-2005, 06:35 PM
...I guess my whole beef with critics is, they seem to only "love" the movies that have the huge budget, and the huge stars...
And I think it's simply because of the mass market... It seems that the masses want to see the big budgets and the big stars, even though we've all been miss led by this, and that's what the "critics":rolleyes: talk about...
Ya gotta remember, it's just a job for them...So, if they started talkin about the good horror movies, the masses would just turn the station or turn the page...They would be saying "Who in the hell is this guy? Couldn't they get Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise to play that part? Well, I'm not wasting my money on that."
Then the "critics":rolleyes: would be out of a job...

That's just what I think, could be wrong...;) :p

jenna26
09-03-2005, 06:48 PM
There are critics that appreciate horror movies; Ebert have been mentioned several times and he is one of them. But I agree that the critics mainly review the major releases and let's be honest, a lot of the major horror releases of the last few years have been sadly lacking in substance. To find the truly good horror that is more than simply "fun" (and a critic is usually reviewing a film on more than whether it is fun or not) , you have to look a little harder.

RoLLiNLiGhTs
09-03-2005, 07:16 PM
Yeah, I see what your saying...or rather typing...
Do you think every horror movie that's ever been made in the last few years were bad? There's shit we havn't seen, simply because they don't have a huge star or huge budget...
And, I'd say that Mr. Ebert should start saying something, but ya know what, he doesn't, ya know why? Because he would lose his job...

PS.If that sounds offensive to you, jenna, it's not suppose to be, it's just me actually using my brain and thinking and ranting...That's all...:)

jenna26
09-03-2005, 07:31 PM
How dare you use your brain. That is offensive...:rolleyes: ;)

The good horror can be ignored, that's true. But that is because that isn't what the public wants to hear about, a point you have already made. I mean, genuine horror fans look beyond the huge budgets and the big stars because we know that often we are not going to find what we are looking for that way. But I don't think most people see it that way. I enjoy mindless entertainment as much as the next person (yeah, I admit it) but I also want some quality entertainment as well, and if I have to dig for it to find it, so be it.

RoLLiNLiGhTs
09-03-2005, 07:38 PM
Yes, I agree...But the whole point of this thread was that "Horror gets a bum rap" and I was just stating why I thought it did...
I know we have to dig to find a great movie, hence my whole point...

And now, I'm starting to get a headache...Damnyou people for making ;) think...:p

jenna26
09-03-2005, 07:53 PM
I didn't mention it before, because I got caught on the critic issue...but personally, I think the main reason horror gets a bum rap is because horror is not a genre of film that just everyone can understand and enjoy. Horror is popular in some ways, but in others, very misunderstood. I have been thought of as peculiar for years because of my taste in films. Okay, so I am peculiar. But that is completely beside the point. :D

The STE
09-03-2005, 07:58 PM
wow, people on a horror message board PRAISING Roger Ebert? Usually it's the exact opposite.
Well, I for one like him. Even if I disagree, it's always fun to see him rip into a really bad movie. And his review of North is STILL my favorite review of any movie ever.

RoLLiNLiGhTs
09-03-2005, 08:07 PM
Well, this has come across my mind a few times...I think the reason the masses aren't into horror is because, they don't get to see it, or read about it...
Let's face it, most of the public have all the emotions, right?
So, why do they spend they're money at love movies or sad movies, or thriller movies, at the same time we all know there's a lot of horror movies that have all or close to all those emotions in them.........Because, that's what they see, or read about...It get's lodged in they're heads that the only movie to see this summer (or when ever) is the huge "Blockbuster Movie of the summer"...With so and so in it...
:)

jenna26
09-03-2005, 08:18 PM
Actually, I think a truly good horror film takes many people to a place they do not want to go. I have said before that I think everyone has a morbid streak and it is healthier to acknowledge it then to pretend it doesn't exist. But I think many simply can't acknowledge it. The films (which I don't consider all that bad, honestly) I watch literally make one of my best friend's ill....hell, she watched Dead Alive with me and almost passed out just because of the gore...lmao...:p Wimp.

RoLLiNLiGhTs
09-03-2005, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by jenna26
Actually, I think a truly good horror film takes many people to a place they do not want to go. I have said before that I think everyone has a morbid streak and it is healthier to acknowledge it then to pretend it doesn't exist. But I think many simply can't acknowledge it. The films (which I don't consider all that bad, honestly) I watch literally make one of my best friend's ill....hell, she watched Dead Alive with me and almost passed out just because of the gore...lmao...:p Wimp.
...LOL!! Wow...That wasn't even that bad of a movie...as far as gore goes...:D
But, once again I see what your saying...I used to work with a girl that couldn't stand the sight of blood, hers or anyone elses...

jenna26
09-03-2005, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by RoLLiNLiGhTs
...LOL!! Wow...That wasn't even that bad of a movie...as far as gore goes...:D
But, once again I see what your saying...I used to work with a girl that couldn't stand the sight of blood, hers or anyone elses...

Well, it has that one particularly gross scene.....and she just couldn't take it.:p I laughed at her, I couldn't help it. She still hates me. Ha.

I actually have trouble with the sight of other people's blood when it is right in front of my face. My dad cut himself badly a couple of years ago when I was around and I almost fainted. I was able to keep it together to help him thank goodness. But just this year, I cut myself pretty badly as well. And I was calm as can be. Go figure. :rolleyes: ;)

RoLLiNLiGhTs
09-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Well, it has that once particularly gross scene.....and she just couldn't take it.:p I laughed at her, I couldn't help it. She still hates me. Ha.

I actually have trouble with the sight of other people's blood when it is right in front of my face. My dad cut himself badly a couple of years ago when I was around and I almost fainted. I was able to keep it together to help him thank goodness. But just this year, I cut myself pretty badly as well. And I was calm as can be. Go figure. :rolleyes: ;)
...LOL! She deserved to get laughed at....well, maybe not...:p ;)

Yea, That's weird...I know some people who can't stand seeing someone getting a needle in their arm, but they go to the doctor, and they have no problem gettin a shot of their own...:confused:

jenna26
09-03-2005, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by RoLLiNLiGhTs
...LOL! She deserved to get laughed at....well, maybe not...:p ;)

Yea, That's weird...I know some people who can't stand seeing someone getting a needle in their arm, but they go to the doctor, and they have no problem gettin a shot of their own...:confused:

I'm sorry, but I think she did. She is the one that said, "why not bring over one of your favorites tonight, Jen"....Fool...:D

I don't get it, either. Unless it is simply an empathetic reaction.

RoLLiNLiGhTs
09-03-2005, 09:06 PM
I'm sorry, but I think she did. She is the one that said, "why not bring over one of your favorites tonight, Jen"....Fool...:D

I don't get it, either. Unless it is simply an empathetic reaction.
...LMAO!! Guess that'll make her think twice bout askin ya for a movie to watch...LOL!;) :D

RoLLiNLiGhTs
09-03-2005, 09:08 PM
?¿

jenna26
09-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by hellboy
*Runs in thread* All you get is sympathetic reactions!:p *Runs out of thread*

And just what in the hell is that supposed to mean? :mad: :D

Yeah, I have several friends that have never forgiven me for certain movie recommendations. *Sighs* ;) I have had fun with people though, I have a mean streak when it comes to that kind of thing....but they shouldn't ask me. They should know better, it is their own damn fault.

RoLLiNLiGhTs
09-03-2005, 09:21 PM
And just what in the hell is that supposed to mean? :mad: :D

Yeah, I have several friends that have never forgiven me for certain movie recommendations. *Sighs* ;) I have had fun with people though, I have a mean streak when it comes to that kind of thing....but they shouldn't ask me. They should know better, it is their own damn fault.
...Yeah, ya think they'd learn by now...LMAO!!!:D ;)