PDA

View Full Version : what was the first vampire movie called again?

devilsbackbone
11-22-2003, 11:53 AM
i've completly forgot and that movie made me love horror movies! it was a silent movie.

dmihatmttl
11-22-2003, 12:39 PM
Sounds like F.W. Murnau's NOSFERATU?

J.N.
http://members.tripod.com/~NEWMANATOR/index.html

Deamona
11-23-2003, 12:06 PM
yeah, the one with no sound, the first picture ever with fx, ( the fading of nosferatu)

avenger00soul
11-24-2003, 07:03 AM
If you liked that one, you should see Vampyr - Der Traum des Allan Grey . Excellent use of shadows.

The_Return
06-18-2005, 01:52 PM
Well, the 1st Vampire flick was actually Manoir du Diable, made by George Melies in 1896. First horror movie ever made:)

Elvis_Christ
06-18-2005, 07:25 PM
Just watched Vampyr and Nosferatu. Great stuff really enjoyed both of them. The music for the version I watched of Nosferatu was a bit too modern for my liking. I remember watching it for a film class a couple of years ago off an old print that was completley silent. Real creepy film on the big screen.

alkytrio666
06-20-2005, 09:32 AM
Nosferatu is an absolutely amazing film.

The_Return
06-22-2005, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Elvis_Christ
Just watched Vampyr and Nosferatu. Great stuff really enjoyed both of them. The music for the version I watched of Nosferatu was a bit too modern for my liking.

You must have seen the same version as me. Hated that crappy-ass music, definatly lowered the quality of the movie.

Elvis_Christ
06-26-2005, 11:40 PM
^^ Yeh it definatley did. Another classic butched by idiots. I wonder if there is a version with decent (or at least more appropriate) music on it?

The Count
06-27-2005, 09:19 AM
Nosferatu is one of my favorite all-time films.

alkytrio666
06-27-2005, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by The Count
Nosferatu is one of my favorite all-time films. It was NOT
...What?

The Count
06-27-2005, 09:30 AM
Nosferatu is one of my favorite all-time films. It was NOT the first vampire film, but it's maybe the best (& scariest).

It was a silent-film made in Germany by a director by the name of Mureau (sp?). He tried to get permission from Bram Stoker's (the author of the novel DRACULA) widow, but she refused to give it to him. So, he went ahead & filmed it anyway, but he left the vampire nameless (to avoid trouble) & used the German term, "Nosferatu" (i.e., undead).

Remember that the original movie was subtitled in German. Some cuts you find today actually have one or two captions which use the name "Dracula." This is not historically valid. It's an American insertion thing; since Dracula has become synonymous with Vampire & the story so-obviously is the same tale Stoker related.

Obviously, you love this film! Good taste :) I'd like to share two things that may interest you further.

There's a German talking remake, made in the 1980's sometime, starring Klaus-something-or-other (sorry, I'm removed from my notes right now). It's super-cool, and scarey as all. It follows the original version closely & is VERY ATMOSPHERIC. There's an English cut, too. I believe you'd enjoy it. Check it out.

Lastly, a recent movie name SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE starring Wilhelm DeFoe (sp? -- again :( ) This is fictional. It's relates how Mureau allegedly filmed the original NOSFERATU. The hook is this: according to the movie, |Mureau hired A REAL VAMPIRE to play Nosferatu!!!! :p Naturally, blood flows & havoc ensues.

THE COUNT

zwoti
06-27-2005, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by The Count

There's a German talking remake, made in the 1980's sometime, starring Klaus-something-or-other (sorry, I'm removed from my notes right now). It's super-cool, and scarey as all. It follows the original version closely & is VERY ATMOSPHERIC. There's an English cut, too. I believe you'd enjoy it. Check it out.

THE COUNT

klaus kinski, directed by werner herzog

Anne
07-06-2005, 09:28 AM
The first famous one was Vampir,then Nosferatu or was it Nosferatu(1922) and Vampir?OH,YES,Klaus Kinski was in the 1980's ONE.He was very good,but such a weird,quirky actor on screen and off! :D

Anne
07-06-2005, 09:42 AM
Hi again ! I know you all noticed that that vampire (The Master)in the original"Salem's Lot" television show (1979) looked very much like the famous"Nostferatu" in both films. I guess the influence of the first was strong enough to create memorable images for all the films.:D

EXTR3MIST
07-11-2005, 03:17 PM
Yeah the bald vampire in 'Salem's Lot is Nosferatu-esque, and very scary.

Nosferatu is considered the first genuine vampire film (presumably featuring most traditional aspects), but Nacht Des Grauens (1916/Germany) and Drakula Halala (1921/Hungary) both have vampire creatures - in fact the latter suceeded in adapting Bram Stoker's novel, but is sadly presumed lost forever.

Anne
07-12-2005, 07:52 AM
Yes,Salem's Lot made me jump a few feet,lol! Sad when a film is lost,most of the old silents(about 90%) and 50% of the films made before 1950,have gone......perhaps not forever.Thank you for the additional information on the two early vampire films ;I did not know about these two gems! Beve:D ;)