PDA

View Full Version : "War of the Worlds"

alkytrio666
04-28-2005, 04:54 PM
I'll probably get ripped on for this, but I'm in the middle of reading H.G. Wells's "War of the Worlds" in time for the new movie. The book is very, very good. I really like it, and I really hope Spielberg doesn't butcher the storyline, because it's a modern setting. Feedback?

barbra
04-29-2005, 09:51 AM
if speilberg can edit e.t. then he can butcher war of the worlds. If you like the book, you should check kdx or lime wire and down load the radio show I would suggest the same for hhgttu

tom-tom
05-03-2005, 12:36 AM
Read the book a while ago..good book
Enjoy

The_Return
05-26-2005, 04:05 PM
I read a condensed version of this...very good.

urgeok
05-27-2005, 11:00 AM
condensed ?? condensed ??

arghhhhh !

zwoti
05-28-2005, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by barbra
if speilberg can edit e.t. then he can butcher war of the worlds. If you like the book, you should check kdx or lime wire and down load the radio show I would suggest the same for hhgttu

got the orson welles' radio show version on my SE of citizen kane

crazy raplh
05-28-2005, 08:24 AM
I loved the vinyl

The_Return
05-28-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by urgeok

arghhhhh !

What can I say....Im lazy:)

It only took me about 2 days to read it, on and off.:p

urgeok
05-28-2005, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by zwoti

i have the vinyl album ..

zwoti
05-29-2005, 12:56 AM
i have the vinyl album ..

why doesn't that suprise me

urgeok
05-29-2005, 05:11 AM
why doesn't that suprise me

because you're well aware that i'm an insane collector of anything i can get my hands on - and have been so for 40 years !

(i haven't bought a movie in a couple weeks though !!)

zwoti
05-29-2005, 05:19 AM

(i haven't bought a movie in a couple weeks though !!)

that must be hard http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/thumb.gif

urgeok
05-29-2005, 05:21 AM
that must be hard http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/thumb.gif

i think quitting heroin is probably easier.

alkytrio666
05-29-2005, 07:00 AM
Hahaha.

alkytrio666
05-29-2005, 07:01 AM

Yah the radio shows amazing (I'm actually a big fan of Old Time Radio). Citizen Kane is a great movie too. A true classic, for sure.

jenna26
05-30-2005, 08:52 PM

arghhhhh !

Okay, you will be so proud....well maybe not....but because of you I now have a copy of this book and I will be reading it this week in between Ramsey Campbell short stories. And I for one am not reading any condensed version. :D

As you may have guessed by now, I never got around to reading this one....LOL...;)

alkytrio666
05-31-2005, 05:15 PM
Amazing book, happy readings!

P.S. Don't get frustrated when it gets a little slow for awhile towards the middle.)

tom-tom
06-13-2005, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by The_Return
I read a condensed version of this...very good.

The full novel isn't that long! How big's the condensed version?

urgeok
06-13-2005, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by jenna26
Okay, you will be so proud....well maybe not....but because of you I now have a copy of this book and I will be reading it this week in between Ramsey Campbell short stories. And I for one am not reading any condensed version. :D

As you may have guessed by now, I never got around to reading this one....LOL...;)

after you finish it, pick up The Time Machine :)

Matthew Warner
06-22-2005, 06:33 PM
H.G. Wells's Island of Dr. Moreau is pretty fucking awesome, too. Great monster story.

jenna26
06-22-2005, 07:59 PM
after you finish it, pick up The Time Machine :)

Oh I already picked it up along with The Island of Dr. Moreau and one other but the title escapes me at the moment and I am too lazy to go check it. Anyway, the only Wells that I had read previously was The Invisible Man.

novadawn969
07-02-2005, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by alkytrio666
I'll probably get ripped on for this, but I'm in the middle of reading H.G. Wells's "War of the Worlds" in time for the new movie. The book is very, very good. I really like it, and I really hope Spielberg doesn't butcher the storyline, because it's a modern setting. Feedback?

I liked the movie. saw it today... well most of it. lol. it was funny. i think ill like the book better. I'll read it, so don't fret. I read alot. any other book suggestions would be nice. I need a life.

Matthew Warner
07-02-2005, 02:53 AM
I read alot. any other book suggestions would be nice. I need a life.

If you like War of the Worlds, you'll like Dan Simmons's Hyperion series.

Apart from that, I'm looking forward to David Morrell's Creepers coming in September.

novadawn969
07-02-2005, 04:06 AM
thanks. oh, and i read every kind of books emaginable.. well i did starting when i lost my social life. lol. that was only 9 or 10 months ago. It all started... yeah right, like I'd tell you. any who.

any demented suggestions with lots of odd balls would be nice too. yay! :D

The_Return
07-02-2005, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by tom-tom
The full novel isn't that long! How big's the condensed version?

It's part of a series call Great Ilutrated Claasics. They're for kids and people who want to read a book but are too lazy to read the real thing. War of the World was 238 pages, but there are ALOT of ilustrations...lets about about 125 written pages.

http://www.pottsville.com/StAmbrose/images/warworlds.jpg

jenna26
07-02-2005, 09:27 AM
It's part of a series call Great Ilutrated Claasics. They're for kids and people who want to read a book but are too lazy to read the real thing. War of the World was 238 pages, but there are ALOT of ilustrations...lets about about 125 written pages.

I remember those. That is how I read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde for the first time when I was ten, I think.....I did eventually read the original version however.:D

Matthew Warner
07-02-2005, 04:07 PM
I remember those. That is how I read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde for the first time when I was ten, I think.....I did eventually read the original version however.:D

That's another great book (The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson). Not too long, either.

The_Return
07-03-2005, 04:36 AM

Ive read alot of them...

War of the Worlds
Jekyl and Hyde
Dracula
The Invisible Man
The Time Machinre
King Soloman's Mines
Black Beauty
Ivanhoe
Mutiny on the Bounty

Shoot me, Im lazy:p

novadawn969
07-03-2005, 11:59 PM

haha. I read great expectations. I was like 8. wow... good times. :D I think I still have it too. haha.

jenna26
07-04-2005, 08:08 PM
Ive read alot of them...

War of the Worlds
Jekyl and Hyde
Dracula
The Invisible Man
The Time Machinre
King Soloman's Mines
Black Beauty
Ivanhoe
Mutiny on the Bounty

Shoot me, Im lazy:p

Ivanhoe? Wish I would have known that was one before I read it....I might have to read this version instead.

For some reason, I didn't read that book so much as suffered it. Not that it isn't a great book, I just couldn't get into it. But I refused to give up, so I did finish it.