PDA

View Full Version : "Scream": Horror or thriller?

Angra
04-26-2005, 11:04 PM
There is a debate going on in another movie forum whether "Scream" is a horror movie or a thriller.

So i was just curious to hear your thoughts?

dantehorrorfan
04-26-2005, 11:16 PM
thriller the only thing horror to me in that movie was when the boy frinds guts fell out

Angra
04-26-2005, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by dantehorrorfan
suspense the only thing horror to me in that movie was when the boy frinds guts fell out

When does that happen?

dantehorrorfan
04-26-2005, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Angra
When does that happen? i think at the begining its been a while since ive seen it though

tom-tom
04-27-2005, 12:31 AM
It is definitely a thriller, of that i have no doubt. There is just too light an atomsphere in the movie for it to be considered a horror...at least in my opinion.

Preacher
04-27-2005, 12:40 AM
I think its just poo!!!

Ash

Elvis_Christ
04-27-2005, 01:00 AM
its a horror movie

urgeok
04-27-2005, 01:56 AM
if slashers are considered horror, then Scream is a horror.

but it's an interesting question ... where do you draw the line ..because its a fine one between a thriller and a slasher.

is it the bodycount ? The manner of the killings ?

i think if there is a supernatural bent it is a horror automatically - but for a human protagonist ... when does it become horror ?

Elvis_Christ
04-27-2005, 02:30 AM
Horror's more exploitative in the way it handles the murders compared to a thriller and the bodycounts usually more prolific.

bwind22
04-27-2005, 04:32 AM
Blood? Yep. Bodycount? Yep. A masked villain slaying attractive teens one at a time? Yep.

Scream is horror. This shouldn't even be a question.

Certain people not liking it because it's too funny or too mainstream :rolleyes: or whatever is not enough to exclude it from the horror genre.

Angra
04-27-2005, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by bwind22
Blood? Yep. Bodycount? Yep. A masked villain slaying attractive teens one at a time? Yep.

Scream is horror. This shouldn't even be a question.

Certain people not liking it because it's too funny or too mainstream :rolleyes: or whatever is not enough to exclude it from the horror genre.

I agree.

To call "Scream" a thriller makes movies like "Psycho" and "TCM" Thrillers too, in my eyes.

bwind22
04-27-2005, 06:48 AM
It's a fine line, but I think Scream would definately be considered a horror comedy.

Angra
04-27-2005, 06:52 AM
It's a fine line, but I think Scream would definately be considered a horror comedy.

Wouldn´t call it a comedy. At least not the first one.

urgeok
04-27-2005, 07:07 AM

i would think so too ..

even without the obvious humor there were tons of in jokes for people who love the slasher genre ..

jenna26
04-27-2005, 08:57 AM
Definitely horror, if only for the initial, rather elaborate death scene.
I also feel that it is closer to a horror comedy though. It just doesn't take itself seriously. It is poking fun at the horror genre throughout the whole film.

urgeok
04-27-2005, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by jenna26
Definitely horror, if only for the initial, rather elaborate death scene.
I also feel that it is closer to a horror comedy though. It just doesn't take itself seriously. It is poking fun at the horror genre throughout the whole film.

i'd say its more of an homage, rather than poking fun at...

scary movie ... now that pokes fun..

sandy_x
04-27-2005, 09:32 AM
Ide say horror if u think thriller thats like saying haloween is a thriller.

bwind22
04-27-2005, 07:10 PM
I thought Scream was hilarious when I first saw it! As well as thinking it was an excellent fresh, inventive horror film.

It totally revived the teen horror genre in the mid/late 90s.

Calling it anything other than 'Horror' (Or horror with another sub-genre attached.) would be just ridiculous.

And to be quite honest, I'm not sure if I know of a genre called 'Thriller'. Those types of movies tend to fall under either drama or action (or horror), depending on the amount of talking vs. explosions.

Angra
04-27-2005, 09:31 PM
I thought Scream was hilarious when I first saw it! As well as thinking it was an excellent fresh, inventive horror film.

Calling it anything other than 'Horror' (Or horror with another sub-genre attached.) would be just ridiculous.

And to be quite honest, I'm not sure if I know of a genre called 'Thriller'. Those types of movies tend to fall under either drama or action (or horror), depending on the amount of talking vs. explosions.

Thrillers are movies such as "Fatal attraction" and "Eye for an eye".

bwind22
04-28-2005, 01:22 AM
Thrillers are movies such as "Fatal attraction" and "Eye for an eye".

Those are both also known as Dramas.

Elvis_Christ
04-28-2005, 04:07 AM

Yeh I really enjoyed this when it came out. I liked how it wasn't trying to disguise itself as a psychological thriller (which a lot of mid to late 90s genre films did after the success of Silence Of The Lambs, Jennifer 8, Basic Instinct, ect.....). It was a slasher that wore its good and bad conventions on its sleeve to great effect. Pity a lot of unoriginal people had to go and fuck it up by making countless copycat films. Another case of the industry milking the cash cow at the expense of artistic integrity.

jenna26
04-28-2005, 11:33 AM
I enjoyed Scream. I actually like the first two quite a bit. But I went in a diehhard Craven fan. I love his older films; ANOES, The Hills Have Eyes, Serpent and the Rainbow. There was a time Craven could do no wrong in my eyes. ;)

But most of my friends that are also horror fans hate the Scream films. And I guess I can see why, as it was started the ball rolling on some truly bad teen horror films. But Scream itself is a far superior movie to those that came after, I think.

kung-fu-jesus
04-28-2005, 01:06 PM
both,

i think its both cause there is all the elements of a thriller and ther is a serial killer( actualy there are 2).

in the movie it cinda calls itself a horror. it was probibly going to be more horror than thriller, but turned out the other way.

if you think about it all horror movies are thrillers, and no not all thrillers are horror.

alot of the time they are classified as the same thing buy the general public. so if its scary its a horror and a thriller, but if its just suspensful its only a thriller

slasherman
04-28-2005, 03:15 PM
Its a slasher with parody elements
Horror

XFeaRX
04-28-2005, 03:49 PM
I agree.

To call "Scream" a thriller makes movies like "Psycho" and "TCM" Thrillers too, in my eyes.

ur eyes suck.

Angra
04-28-2005, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by XFeaRX
ur eyes suck.

Why?

ENTITY2000
04-28-2005, 10:05 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jenna26
Serpent and the Rainbow.

now i thought that was a freaky, but good movie.

zwoti
04-28-2005, 10:48 PM
h

crippler666
04-29-2005, 05:49 PM
How can you lumber 'Scream' with the likes of 'Se7en', 'Silence Of The Lambs', 'Session 9'?

I would say it isn't graphic horror, but would put it closer to a slasher movie

urgeok
04-29-2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by crippler666
How can you lumber 'Scream' with the likes of 'Se7en', 'Silence Of The Lambs', 'Session 9'?

I would say it isn't graphic horror, but would put it closer to a slasher movie

session 9 was either a psychological thriller or a supernatural one.
Opinions vary but I think it's the latter.

slasherman
04-29-2005, 07:39 PM
Slasher is a sub-genre in the horror genre...
"Scream" is a slasher (with some parody elements)
.............HORROR..... .....

bwind22
04-29-2005, 08:19 PM
I can't believe this thread is still going on.

Anyone that thinks Scream is anything, but Horror, needs their head examined.

P.S. 'As far as I'm concerned Thriller' is still not even the name of genre. No movie store I've ever walked in to has a 'Thriller' section. Movies that are thrilling are either put into the 'Drama', 'Horror', or 'Action' genres. Otherwise we'd have movies like Scream, Basic Instinct, and True Lies all in the same genre and I don't think that's the case.

crazy raplh
04-30-2005, 03:53 AM
I thought thriller. horror is more monsterous killer involved.

zwoti
04-30-2005, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by crazy raplh
I thought thriller. horror is more monsterous killer involved.

and this is why you're crazy