PDA

View Full Version : Marvel "Ultimate" series

ChEEbA
04-18-2005, 03:28 PM
So, Marvel made this bunch of titles set in the "Ultimate" universe.
Basically, they've restarted AND reimagined a bunch of titles including
*Spider-Man
*X-Men
*The Avengers (Called "The Ultimates")
*Fantastic 4
And they've set the time of the "ultimate" universe in the modern day, sometimes they interlink with eachother, but not the rest of the marvel universe.
SM and XMEN started a few years ago now, and honestly, they're fucking brilliant, and Ultimates isn't bad either.
I've recently started reading Ultimate FF, which is thus far pretty fucking cool too...

Anyways, I'd highly reccomend reading these to anyone.

iamragmar
04-20-2005, 04:54 AM
They're only good if you are new to the characters in any form, I gave up reading Ultimate Spider-Man because it's just the same old stuff, J Michael Stratzynski however is writing the best Spider-Man stories in a long time, and if he stays on for a few more years, he will have created the biggest streak of quality a Spider-Man title has ever seen.
Ultimates is not the same old stuff.

ChEEbA
04-20-2005, 12:19 PM
They're only good if you are new to the characters in any form, I gave up reading Ultimate Spider-Man because it's just the same old stuff,

As a reader of both the "amazing/uncanny" and "ultimate" series I have to disagree.
I was in NO way new to the characters, any of them...yet I'm still enjoying the Ultimate series. Relationships are different, and even storylines that may be "familiar" have had unique twists that have made them continuously interesting to read, but hey, I guess your taste and mine don't HAVE to be the same.
Ultimate x-men is a VERY cool read, and even at this point...I think it's outdoing the standard marvel universe x-men titles by far.
As for Ultimates, I agree...it's a further cry from the avengers than the other titles are their respective marvel universe counterparts, it's dark, gritty...and a great take on some of the characters, doing and saying things you'd never expect. I've not yet read series 2 of the ultimates, but thus far, it seems ok.
In regards to the entire "ultimate" universe, I am enjoying the titles myself, and maintain, they're worth reading, however familiar you are with the marvel universe versions of these titles. Maybe you should give them another shot, as long as you can get them off p2p kinda applications for free, yknow...not much effort.