PDA

View Full Version : Conrad Veidt

iamragmar
04-11-2005, 06:32 AM
Besides Cabinet of Dr Caligari and The Man Who Laughs, what other horror films has Conrad Veidt been in, I always hear he is a very important part in horror.

lilknivesguy
04-13-2005, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by iamragmar
Besides Cabinet of Dr Caligari and The Man Who Laughs, what other horror films has Conrad Veidt been in, I always hear he is a very important part in horror.

Hands of Orlac (1925) [not to be confused with the 1935 American remake Made Love starring Peter Lorre] is another of Veidt's starring roles, as is Student of Prague (1926) [not to be confused with the 1913 version!]. I've seen the former. Not the latter, but textbooks aplenty refer to the influence these and the former you cited had as part of the overall German Expressionist movement of the twenties. Films that influenced Universal Studios directors in the thirties, etc.

Veidt apparently worked steady through the 20s and 30s. I would love to see TCM or a similar network dig up films like the Wandering Jew (1933) (his first English speaking role, which I've only read about in film history texts). And with companies scrambling for title to put on cheapo DVD, who knows. Maybe more of these will become easier to find.

Veidt's most famous role? Maj. Heinrich Strasser in Casablanca. I think he died soon thereafter His other claim to fame? Reportedly, Universal Studios president Carl Laemmle wanted Veidt to play Dracula, just as others would have certainly picked Lon Chaney. Seems no one wanted poor Bela!