PDA

View Full Version : Peter Straub

tom-tom
03-15-2005, 12:49 AM
Has anybody read the Peter Straub book: Nightroom?
I've only read one of his books which he co-wrote with SK, The Talisman...

lee challenger
03-15-2005, 03:22 AM
No but if you're looking to read more Peter Straub then I recommend KOKO. One of the best books I have ever read.

urgeok
03-15-2005, 07:19 AM
ghost story, and shadowlands...

FangoFan
03-23-2005, 07:51 AM
I recommend any Straub book. His scare tactics work subtle and very well. His book Julia is a great example.

StaggerLee
04-07-2005, 06:29 AM
I read If you could see me now a while ago, and liked it very much. It's not that acary but really fun to read. and I love his short story called The juniper tree.

bloodrayne
05-03-2005, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by tom-tom
I've only read one of his books which he co-wrote with SK, The Talisman... They had a falling out shortly after that collaboration...Didn't speak to each other for years...Then they made up and wrote Black House together, it's the sequel to The Talisman...You might wanna check it out...

So far, I have loved all of Peter Straub's books

urgeok
05-04-2005, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by bloodrayne
They had a falling out shortly after that collaboration...Didn't speak to each other for years...Then they made up and wrote Black House together, it's the sequel to The Talisman...You might wanna check it out...

So far, I have loved all of Peter Straub's books

i started Black House .. got about 20 pages in and gave it away .. hated it immensly ...

hebgbzz
05-05-2005, 01:44 AM
Another vote for Ghost story. A masterpiece. This has got to be Straub's (and horror fiction in general) high water mark. But I have a question for fans of Ghost story? (Gonna sound dumb, perhaps.) I have read that book several times and I still don't get when Alma says, "I am you." When asked, "Who are you?" Wha? What is she saying? That we are already dead, spirits trapped in the material world, what?! Also enjoyed Julia, though I liked the movie version better. Can't say the same for Ghost Story's theatrical version. Okay if you haven't read the book, horrible waste of a great cast if you have.

jenna26
05-05-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by urgeok
i started Black House .. got about 20 pages in and gave it away .. hated it immensly ...

I didn't hate it immensely.....but I did also have to put it down. In fact, I don't know why I even tried to read it to begin with, because I am not a fan of The Talisman either.

Surprisingly, I am not much of a Straub fan. I just can't get into his writing style for some reason; I have read several of the books and I do believe he is a good writer. But for some reason that I can't quite put my finger on, his novels never really hold my interest.

urgeok
05-06-2005, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by jenna26
I didn't hate it immensely.....but I did also have to put it down. In fact, I don't know why I even tried to read it to begin with, because I am not a fan of The Talisman either.

Surprisingly, I am not much of a Straub fan. I just can't get into his writing style for some reason; I have read several of the books and I do believe he is a good writer. But for some reason that I can't quite put my finger on, his novels never really hold my interest.

re. black house ....

i've never read (partially) a book where there was such a stink of smug self awareness that i could taste it.
It seemed to say out loud 'holy shit, look at me, I'm gold"

repulsive style to me ... as Kevin Smith would say .. hamfisted writing..

jenna26
05-06-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by urgeok
re. black house ....

i've never read (partially) a book where there was such a stink of smug self awareness that i could taste it.
It seemed to say out loud 'holy shit, look at me, I'm gold"

repulsive style to me ... as Kevin Smith would say .. hamfisted writing..

Seems a bit strong, but I can't say I completely disagree. I hardly ever put a book down once I start it, so I guess that says something.

urgeok
05-06-2005, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by jenna26
I hardly ever put a book down once I start it,

nor i .. it was the 1st one ever !

tom-tom
05-19-2005, 03:39 AM
You should have given the Black House a little more chance. Trust me, it really does redem itself after the first thirty or so pages. i'm now over three hundred pages into it and I love it. Brillant book.

bschulte
05-22-2005, 03:44 PM
I haven't read any of his novels, but his short story "Mr. Clubb and Mr. Cuff" is one nasty SOB that has stuck with me for several years, and I've only ever read it once.