PDA

View Full Version : best horror commentary extras on dvd

slasherman
03-10-2005, 07:48 AM
What are your favourite commentary ? I thought the commentary on "Santa Sangre" was pretty cool....

I hated the commentary on "Predator" by John M. boring zzzzzzzz

Sometimes there are 3 persons in the commentary...thats to much

and sometimes there are 3 different commentary tracks on one dvd..thats good :)

Angra
03-10-2005, 07:50 AM
"Joy ride". Steve Zahn is hilarious listening to.:D

Vodstok
03-10-2005, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Angra
"Joy ride". Steve Zahn is hilarious listening to.:D I've never seen it with the commentary, ill have to check it out, i love him.

More than 3 commenters can be good. the lord of the rings dvds are funny as hell with all 4 of the hobbits talking. Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan are both hilarious.

slasherman
03-10-2005, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Vodstok

More than 3 commenters can be good. the lord of the rings dvds are funny as hell with all 4 of the hobbits talking. Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan are both hilarious.
My experience is that they talk on top of each others...but I'm sure thats not the case always ;)

Angra
03-10-2005, 08:13 AM
I've never seen it with the commentary, ill have to check it out, i love him.

Funny! I would have mentioned "Lord of the rings" for the exact same reasons. Itīs a nice blend of young crazies and old wise men (damn funny. Especially their comments in the scene in the first one where they are trying to open the spell sealed door to the Dwarwen kingdom. Remember their comments?).

Didnīt mention it though, because it wasnīt a horror movie.:(

DAMN!!!!

The Mothman
03-10-2005, 08:16 AM
The original Sleep Away Camp had an interesting one.

Vodstok
03-10-2005, 08:21 AM
The omen commentray was good, so was Dog Soldiers

The Exorcist commentary SUUUUUUUCKED. William Freidkin's monologue was like watching paint dry.

zwoti
03-10-2005, 08:24 AM
always enjoyed john carpenter's...especially when kurt russell is there

urgeok
03-10-2005, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by zwoti

they are good ... they tend to get off topic though ...especially big trouble... i dont think they mentioned the movie at all :)

what you can hear is Kurt smoking cigarettes like there's no tomorrow ..

zwoti
03-10-2005, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by urgeok
they are good ... they tend to get off topic though ...especially big trouble... i dont think they mentioned the movie at all :)

you say that as if it's a bad thing :p

urgeok
03-10-2005, 08:57 AM
you say that as if it's a bad thing :p

they were entertaining nonetheless

i do wish they might have mentioned the film once or twice though hahahaha

Vodstok
03-10-2005, 09:00 AM
The commentary for Resident Evil was annoying. it went a long way to me losing interest in it. Mila Jovovich and Michelle Rodriguez had to have been fucking drunk. Either that or they are just stupid.

filmmaker2
03-10-2005, 09:19 AM
John Gaeta, Carrie-Anne Moss and Zach Staenberg's commentary track for "The Matrix" is very funny. They're all entertaining to listen to, but John Gaeta completely steals the show with his commentary/tech geek punk comedy routine. He's clearly trying to start trouble from the very beginning, and the other two just have to sit there and deal with it. They are obviously shaking their heads and disbelief much of the time, and occasionally you can hear them giggling at the weird predicament Gaeta has forced them into.

Vodstok
03-10-2005, 09:27 AM
He both looked and sounded like my room mate a couple of years ago, even had the same sense of humor. it was eerie.

John gaeta that is. And i enjoyed that commentary immensly :D

The Usual Suspects had a decent commentary. Pitch black was good too. David Twohy, Vin Diesel and Cole Hauser were a good combo.

slasherman
03-11-2005, 03:34 AM
Yeah have heard both "The Thing" and "Big Trouble" :)
Havent heard the "Halloween" commentary but I guess its without Kurt

urgeok
03-11-2005, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by slasherman
Yeah have heard both "The Thing" and "Big Trouble" :)
Havent heard the "Halloween" commentary but I guess its without Kurt

its with the late debra hill.

I think she did The Fog commentary with him as well.

In The Mouth of MAdness - carpenter had the lighting guy with him .. very informative ..

oh .. Escape from New York is the other one with Kurt

The_Return
03-11-2005, 06:07 AM
House on Haunted Hill [Remake] has a pretty good one, William Malone, the director, is pretty interesting...but most everything he says you can learn from the featurettes:rolleyes:

I agree with Vod on The Exorcist commentary...I didnt watch the whole thing, but somehow it was turned on when I rented it, it was about 5 minutes before I figured out how to turn it off...He's a boring little man...

Boogeymen: The Killer Compilation has a good one by Robert Englund, pretty interesting...too bad he finds someway to relate almost everything to either himself, or NOES :rolleyes:

Ill report back in 80 min or so about the Pit and the Pendulum commentary, about to watch it

Vodstok
03-11-2005, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by The_Return

Ill report back in 80 min or so about the Pit and the Pendulum commentary, about to watch it Why arent you in school, flunkie? :D

The_Return
03-11-2005, 06:11 AM
Why arent you in school, flunkie? :D

March Break:D

It's like Spring Break down there, but earlier

The_Return
03-11-2005, 06:22 AM
Well, so far, Mr. Corman is right up there with William [Im not even gonna try to spell his last name] from The Exorcist. When you're listening to a commentary and start thinking "When the hell is this guy gonna shut up?", you know it's pretty bad:rolleyes:

taylorsmommy
03-11-2005, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by The_Return
Well, so far, Mr. Corman is right up there with William [Im not even gonna try to spell his last name] from The Exorcist. When you're listening to a commentary and start thinking "When the hell is this guy gonna shut up?", you know it's pretty bad:rolleyes:

FYI - William Friedkin

Vodstok
03-11-2005, 06:31 AM
Translates to "Boring Speaker"

I've said it before and I'll say it again;
Roger Ebert's commentary on Dark City was deplorable. He sounded more full of himself than usual, and used the term "Film Noir" close to 10 times in the first 5 minutes.

Every time i say that, it reminds me of how much i miss Gene Siskel. Ebert was at least tolerable when he was alive, now, i just want to hit him with a pickaxe. Even though he already look slike he's dead.. Fucking skeletor...

The_Return
03-11-2005, 06:36 AM
Roger Corman= Crazy Pervert

He was saying he invisioned the house in the film as a womans body. The door represented the vagina, and he kept people constantly going down hallways for "sexual reasons". Now, if there was some decent reason to mention that, great. But he just said it out of nowhere...He's a wierdo;)

urgeok
03-11-2005, 06:37 AM
Translates to "Boring Speaker"

I've said it before and I'll say it again;
Roger Ebert's commentary on Dark City was deplorable. He sounded more full of himself than usual, and used the term "Film Noir" close to 10 times in the first 5 minutes.

Every time i say that, it reminds me of how much i miss Gene Siskel. Ebert was at least tolerable when he was alive, now, i just want to hit him with a pickaxe. Even though he already look slike he's dead.. Fucking skeletor...

i always liked Gene and hated Ebert. Smug little prick.
When he disliked something it was incentive for me to go a nd see it.

Vodstok
03-11-2005, 06:40 AM
i always liked Gene and hated Ebert. Smug little prick.
When he disliked something it was incentive for me to go a nd see it. Same here.
he claimed he was more qualified than other critics because he actually wrote a movie:

Beyond The Valley of the Dolls....

Social commentary my ass, those movies are about tits. While i admire his coice of material, it hardly places him on the moral high ground. Also, if he was so wonderful, why did he only do one?

Those who can't do, review.

Joe Rogan once referred to critics as "Pathetic little pussies. Failed writers, if they could actualy produce something, they would and wouldnt shit all over other people's accomplishments"

Hoo-rah Joe.

The_Return
03-11-2005, 06:51 AM
Ok, I give up. He has nothing interesting to say, and sounds less interesting than static on the radio.

MichaelMyers
03-11-2005, 07:32 AM
Evil Dead II.

slasherman
03-11-2005, 09:40 AM
ohh the commentary on "Ed Wood" was great...not horror but..
and Dario on "Tenebre" (1982) is pretty good...
hmmmm wonder if Kubrick had done a commentary on "the Shining" and "2001" if he was still alive...that would have been interessting...:rolleyes:

The_Return
03-11-2005, 09:42 AM
ohh the commentary on "Ed Wood" was great...not horror but..
and Dario on "Tenebre" (1982) is pretty good...
hmmmm wonder if Kubrick had done a commentary on "the Shining" and "2001" if he was still alive...that would have been interessting...:rolleyes:

Who does the commentary for Ed Wood?

slasherman
03-11-2005, 09:45 AM
Tim of course and Martin Landau and some effects guys...not Johnny though :)

The_Return
03-11-2005, 09:46 AM
Tim of course and Martin Landau and some effects guys...not Johnny though :)

Im buying it next week, Ill have to check it out:)

crazy raplh
04-09-2005, 07:18 PM
jeepers creepers.

virus five
04-09-2005, 08:07 PM
I have to agree that Friedkin's Exorcist commentary was the worst for any movie. Ever.

The best has got to be Evil Dead.

crazy raplh
04-10-2005, 12:58 AM
I know tthis is about horror but freddy got fingerred is the funniest, the worst would be friday the 13th part 3. They never talk abou tthe movie they just make fun of there old parts..

dantehorrorfan
04-10-2005, 09:18 AM
my favorite commentary is star wars empire strikes back and the NOES commentary

The Mothman
04-10-2005, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by virus five

The best has got to be Evil Dead.
there are 2 eveil dead comentarys. one by Raimi and one by Campbell. I havnt listened to the Raimi one yet, but the Capmbell one was funny.

virus five
04-10-2005, 01:46 PM
I was referring to the Campbell commentary, obviously. Hilarious!

tom smud
04-10-2005, 04:41 PM
dont listen to much ....bearly enough tim to watch the movie its self

slasherman
06-14-2005, 05:57 AM
anybody heard the commentary to "Total Recal" with Arnold and Verhoven ?

...or "the usual suspects"..Bryan Singer?

I even saw a commentary on "A few Dollars more" by a guy I never heard of before....maybe a film critic or something...is this the new trend ? some people who didnt have anything to do with the movie have commentary....

urgeok
06-14-2005, 07:00 AM

I even saw a commentary on "A few Dollars more" by a guy I never heard of before....maybe a film critic or something...is this the new trend ? some people who didnt have anything to do with the movie have commentary....

i havent heard the verhoven/arnold commentary but i keep meaning to .. its the only arnold commentary i know of ,..

slasherman
06-17-2005, 10:18 AM
its the only arnold commentary i know of ,..
hmm wonder why

TheOmen
06-17-2005, 08:47 PM

I listened to the commentary for Total Recall, and it was pretty funny and informative. The Usual Suspects commentary is awesome. Just two childhood friends(Singer and the writer, Mcquarrie?) sitting around talking.

As for my favorite Horror movie commentary:

The Fog
The Thing
Angel Heart
The Texas Chainsaw Mass. ('74)
The Last House On The Left
Dawn and Day of the Dead
Evil Dead 1, 2 and Army of Darkness (Boomstick edition)
Frailty
From Dusk Til Dawn (QT and Rodriguez)
An American Werewolf In London
Seven
Candyman

And many more

slasherman
06-18-2005, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by TheOmen
Angel Heart

...gonna check it out...who has commentary ?

TheOmen
06-18-2005, 08:26 AM
The director, Alan Parker. It's a little dry, but he gives good info. behind what scenes mean what, and what they were going forwith certain looks in the film.

slasherman
06-20-2005, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by TheOmen
The director, Alan Parker.
hmmm wonder if he have done commentary on "Mississippi Burning" ?...a good movie...with exellent acting

slasherman
07-06-2005, 11:06 AM
"The Machinist"..commentary by Brad Anderson...pretty good...
"The Aviator"...commentary by Martin Scorsese..interesting