PDA

View Full Version : From Hell

The Mothman
03-10-2005, 06:01 AM
what r ur guy's opinions on this film? did u enjoy it? I saw it yesterday and I thought it was ok.

SPOILER

I thought it was kinda dumb that Jack The Ripper was the same guy who played Bilbo Baggins. lol.

taylorsmommy
03-10-2005, 06:18 AM
I liked it, but then I like pretty much anything that has Johnny Depp in it.

urgeok
03-10-2005, 06:26 AM
it was a decent movie ..

same old ending though ...

why does it always have to be the 'father figure'
i cant count the number of thrillers that the killer turns out to be the 'old mentor'

but the movie was well excecuted and well acted...

Vodstok
03-10-2005, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by The Mothman

I thought it was kinda dumb that Jack The Ripper was the same guy who played Bilbo Baggins. lol.

Maybe, but he was also the psychotic android in Alien. Ian Holm is a great psychopath.

slasherman
03-10-2005, 07:39 AM
Its a okey movie but the setting is not believable.....Too theatrical at times...

IDrinkYourBlood
03-10-2005, 08:39 AM
It intends to be a little dull at times. And the ending sucked. "Hey lets make up our own ending and say it was the doctor who did it." would have been better if we didnt know who jack the ripper was and that he got away (like in real life). Who were the two guys that directed that movie, what were there names again?

Prelude95Si
03-10-2005, 11:40 AM
First off this was a great movie. I thought that it was well directed, well acted, and especially well written.

I thought that the ending was great b/c it was a nice twist to what everyone knows about Jack the Ripper. I mean he had gotten away, which in a way he did, then I think the general audience would have felt cheated. The average movie goer likes to see the good win and the bad guy lose. So from a movie perpective Jack had to be caught.
Now the reason I say that Jack did get away is b/c the general public never discovered who he was, he was delt with before the authorites could get to him and since the only people that knew his true identiy were the cult and Johnny, Jack the Ripper did get away and thus stayed true to history in that respect.
The best part about the story was the reason for why Jack the Ripper killed, I mean does anybody really know why he killed hoars? The reason in the film was great b/c its something that very few would actually consider if the facts surrounding the motive are true in that the Price was sleeping with a hoar and its consiquences to the throawn. See you have to look at this movie as more than just a horror but a work of art. I mean some might say that this movie is a rape of history like JFK but both of these films offer a new and interesting perspective on events that took place in history and I think thats what makes them so entertaining is that the film makers are willing to step on some toes and make a film that they actually care about and I think that modern day movies have lost that felling. Today most people make movies for money and not for the passion of creating a work of art.

urgeok
03-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Prelude95Si
First off this was a great movie. I thought that it was well directed, well acted, and especially well written.

I thought that the ending was great b/c it was a nice twist to what everyone knows about Jack the Ripper. I mean he had gotten away, which in a way he did, then I think the general audience would have felt cheated. The average movie goer likes to see the good win and the bad guy lose. So from a movie perpective Jack had to be caught.
Now the reason I say that Jack did get away is b/c the general public never discovered who he was, he was delt with before the authorites could get to him and since the only people that knew his true identiy were the cult and Johnny, Jack the Ripper did get away and thus stayed true to history in that respect.
The best part about the story was the reason for why Jack the Ripper killed, I mean does anybody really know why he killed hoars? The reason in the film was great b/c its something that very few would actually consider if the facts surrounding the motive are true in that the Price was sleeping with a hoar and its consiquences to the throawn. See you have to look at this movie as more than just a horror but a work of art. I mean some might say that this movie is a rape of history like JFK but both of these films offer a new and interesting perspective on events that took place in history and I think thats what makes them so entertaining is that the film makers are willing to step on some toes and make a film that they actually care about and I think that modern day movies have lost that felling. Today most people make movies for money and not for the passion of creating a work of art.

i guess you never saw : Murder By Decree ?

ningenmanga
03-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Read the graphic novel by Alan Moore that it's based on.

Brilliantly spooky.

The Mothman
03-10-2005, 12:15 PM
I saw this full length comic made off of the movie. I read the end in where he cuts that chick up, except its ten times more graphic than in the movie. its pretty fucked up. He slices her boob off and plays with it for a while. I was like . . . . . . . .Damn.

Sedated_replica
03-10-2005, 01:00 PM
I was wondering about this film. I wanna see it.

urgeok
03-10-2005, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Sedated_replica
I was wondering about this film. I wanna see it.

it was made by the Hughes Brothers .. who made Dead Presidents ...a movie with a pretty big fan base ..

IDrinkYourBlood
03-10-2005, 07:55 PM
movie just had another cookie cutter ending.

Sedated_replica
03-11-2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by urgeok
it was made by the Hughes Brothers .. who made Dead Presidents ...a movie with a pretty big fan base ..

I seen over half of Dead Presidents. The parts that I seen were good

Also "King of the ants" was great too. I know that was random

Wickerman
03-12-2005, 05:25 AM
Oh yeah! Those were the days! I saw From Hell with my ex-girlfriend on DVD and we were cuddling and kissing (and after the movie we did more! Heh Heh!) As for From Hell Johnny Depp was great along with Heather Graham. I would say From Hell is the best Jack the Ripper movie ever made. Johnny Depps best performance however was in Secret Window in which the twist ending reminded me of Hide and Seek with Robert Deniro and the leggy Famke Janssen.:cool:

zwoti
03-12-2005, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by Wickerman
Oh yeah! Those were the days! I saw From Hell with my ex-girlfriend on DVD and we were cuddling and kissing (and after the movie we did more! Heh Heh!) As for From Hell Johnny Depp was great along with Heather Graham. I would say From Hell is the best Jack the Ripper movie ever made. Johnny Depps best performance however was in Secret Window in which the twist ending reminded me of Hide and Seek with Robert Deniro and the leggy Famke Janssen.:cool:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/zwoti/4-diss1.gif

AUSTIN316426808
03-12-2005, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by taylorsmommy
I liked it, but then I like pretty much anything that has Johnny Depp in it.

crippler666
03-18-2005, 08:01 PM
The original idea for William Gull doing the Jack the Ripper murders was actually from a book...

Jack the Ripper : The Final Solution by Stephen Knight

In it he describes how the royal family hired 3 men to kill the witnesses to the wedding... Sir William Gull, Sir Montegue Druit and Sir Walter Sickett

All 3 were freemasons and the other 2 names have come up on more than 1 occasion

He wrote a second book on the freemasons entitled...

The brotherhood

However he hardly saw any of the royalties as he died in suspicious circumstances a couple of months after being published

DraculaInDallas
03-19-2005, 12:21 AM
I liked it....not bad

kung-fu-jesus
03-19-2005, 06:01 AM
ok, its official every une like from hell. and actualy the killer did get away in the like realife, deeps character didnt have enough proof to charge the queens doc.