PDA

View Full Version : The Aviator

ningenmanga
02-26-2005, 07:30 PM
Not a horror movie, but I just back from seeing The Aviator and holy shit, was it good.

DiCaprio is brilliant. He nails just how incredibly tortured hughes was. and Cate Blanchett . . . hse just nails Katherine Hepburn to a tee.

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. Scorcese is still on top of his game in my opinion.

Hate_Breeder
02-26-2005, 07:44 PM
!

AUSTIN316426808
02-26-2005, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by ningenmanga
Not a horror movie, but I just back from seeing The Aviator and holy shit, was it good.

DiCaprio is brilliant. He nails just how incredibly tortured hughes was. and Cate Blanchett . . . hse just nails Katherine Hepburn to a tee.

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. Scorcese is still on top of his game in my opinion.

Scorsese is a F'n genius but I think Clint out did him this time Jamie Foxx is going to win best actor, Clint is going to win best director and Hilary Swank is practicly a shoe in for best actress but Scorsese is probably going to walk away with the best picture. Overall I think Million DB is a better movie and since both Clint and Martin have been screwed so many times I don't know who deserves it more but tomorrow should be a good day for the both of 'em.

The STE
02-26-2005, 08:29 PM
Clint won for Unforgiven. Scorsese has lost. Every time. Once to fucking Kevin Cosnar. Made the best movie of all time and didn't even get a fucking nomination. Plus, I liked The Aviator better anyways.

Of course, neither are the best movie of the year, or even second best. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and The Machinist both own them, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind owns The Machinist (and most other movies, from any year)

AUSTIN316426808
02-26-2005, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by The STE
Clint won for Unforgiven. Scorsese has lost. Every time. Once to fucking Kevin Cosnar. Made the best movie of all time and didn't even get a fucking nomination. Plus, I liked The Aviator better anyways.

Of course, neither are the best movie of the year, or even second best. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and The Machinist both own them, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind owns The Machinist (and most other movies, from any year)

I agree with you, I'm just going by what's nominated, and since Clint does have one(he should have 4) then I guess Scorsese does deserve it more(since he should have 7 by now).

I haven't seen the Machinist yet, for whatever reason it didn't come to theatres here in New Orleans.

I think Swank out did Winslet but other than that Eternal Sunshine was a hell of a film and should be nominated and without a doubt should but probably wont get the screenplay oscar (I wish I could come up with a script like that). I still don't know why Jim Carrey doesn't get nominated for anything, I guess the academy just can't get over Ace Ventura and Fire Marshall Bill.

AUSTIN316426808
02-26-2005, 08:59 PM

have you seen Million DB?

X¤MurderDoll¤X
02-26-2005, 09:06 PM
screw the oscars anyway.

after last year I decided that I'm not going to watch or care about them anymore.

AUSTIN316426808
02-26-2005, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by X¤MurderDoll¤X
screw the oscars anyway.

after last year I decided that I'm not going to watch or care about them anymore.

why not? what happened last year besides that overweight Kevin Smith winning everything.

AUSTIN316426808
02-26-2005, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by AUSTIN316426808
Scorsese does deserve it more(since he should have 7 by now).

sorry miscounted, he should have 10

The STE
02-26-2005, 09:25 PM
have you seen Million DB?

Yes, it made #4 of my 2004 top movie list:

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
2. The Machinist
3. The Aviator
4. Million Dollar Baby
5. Shaun of the Dead
6. Sideways
7. Spiderman 2
8. Kill Bill vol. 2
9. The Bourne Supremacy
10. Spartan

The STE
02-26-2005, 09:32 PM
sorry miscounted, he should have 10

Eleven:
Mean Streets
Taxi Driver
Raging Bull
Last Temptation of Christ
Goodfellas
Kundun
Bringing Out The Dead
Gangs of New York
Colour of Money
Cape Fear
King of Comedy

X¤MurderDoll¤X
02-26-2005, 09:35 PM

Bringing Out The Dead

Such a great idea for a movie, put me to sleep though.

The STE
02-26-2005, 09:37 PM
it's one of two Nick Cage movies I like, besides Adaptation

AUSTIN316426808
02-26-2005, 09:52 PM
Yes, it made #4 of my 2004 top movie list:

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
2. The Machinist
3. The Aviator
4. Million Dollar Baby
5. Shaun of the Dead
6. Sideways
7. Spiderman 2
8. Kill Bill vol. 2
9. The Bourne Supremacy
10. Spartan

1.Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind/Million Dollar Baby(split decision for me)
2.The Aviator
3.Shaun of the Dead
4.Kill Bill
5.Bourne Supremacy/Spiderman(another split)

haven't seen Sideways or The Machinist, I'm going tomorrow morning to see Sideways. Is it really as funny as all the reviews say?

The STE
02-26-2005, 09:56 PM
not having read the reviews, I can't say. It is really funny, though.

AUSTIN316426808
02-26-2005, 10:05 PM
Eleven:
Mean Streets
Taxi Driver
Raging Bull
Last Temptation of Christ
Goodfellas
Kundun
Bringing Out The Dead
Gangs of New York
Colour of Money
Cape Fear
King of Comedy

well actually make it 16 he should've won best picture and director for a few of 'em too. I watch the oscars and enjoy 'em sometimes but it pisses me off when people like Scorses get fucked over ecspecially for Taxi Driver and Raging Bull that's complete bullshit.

The STE
02-26-2005, 10:08 PM
No, Scorsese wouldn't have gotten Best Picture for any of them. The producer gets the Best Picture award, and Scorsese's never Producer for his movies (executive producer doesn't count)

AUSTIN316426808
02-26-2005, 10:15 PM
No, Scorsese wouldn't have gotten Best Picture for any of them. The producer gets the Best Picture award, and Scorsese's never Producer for his movies (executive producer doesn't count)

it's just like when a team wins the Super Bowl and they give the owner the trophy like he actually deserves it.

AUSTIN316426808
02-26-2005, 10:18 PM
By the way, what did you think about Million Dollar Baby? you're the only person I know that's seen it.

The STE
02-26-2005, 10:30 PM
2nd best boxing scenes ever. Nothing could live up to the ones in Raging Bull, but these were damn good. Swank completely negated The Core, Eastwood continues his Awesome streak (which has been going for a good 40 years, not counting Paint Your Wagon), as does Morgan Freeman. It's damn close between this and Aviator, but the direction in Aviator edges it out.

AUSTIN316426808
02-26-2005, 10:39 PM
2nd best boxing scenes ever. Nothing could live up to the ones in Raging Bull, but these were damn good. Swank completely negated The Core, Eastwood continues his Awesome streak (which has been going for a good 40 years, not counting Paint Your Wagon), as does Morgan Freeman. It's damn close between this and Aviator, but the direction in Aviator edges it out.

you didn't think Swank did a good job?

So am I a bitch for crying in the last 35 minutes lol, or did you think it was a bit rough also?

The STE
02-26-2005, 10:42 PM
no, I'm saying she did a shit job in The Core, and the awsm job she did in MDB negates that.

Within reason, I don't think crying during a movie is bad or whatever. I mean, crying when Sandler's dad comes around in the court scene in Big Daddy, sure, but I doubt that's ever happened.
But yeah, MDB was a bit rough. It's no fucking Requiem for a Dream (I had to take my contacts out:( ), but rough nonetheless.

And I was praying, PRAYING, that that wirey redneck fuck in the cowboy hat would piss Eastwood off. The whole scene I was like "yeah, say one more thing to him, go on", and hoping he'd knock him the fuck out.

AUSTIN316426808
02-26-2005, 10:45 PM
no, I'm saying she did a shit job in The Core, and the awsm job she did in MDB negates that

oh ok I get it, I think she's the easy choice for Best actress, that's the only category that I think there's no real competition everything else seems like Aviator and Million Dollar Baby are neck and neck.

The STE
02-26-2005, 10:50 PM
Yeah, this will be an interesting show for once. Most of the important categories are fairly close, the host should be entertaining, or at least interesting, and there's a mostly good crop for Best Picture for once. Replace Ray and Finding Neverland with The Machinist and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and it'd be perfect (I'm not counting Shaun of the Dead)

AUSTIN316426808
02-27-2005, 01:14 AM
Yeah, this will be an interesting show for once. Most of the important categories are fairly close, the host should be entertaining, or at least interesting, and there's a mostly good crop for Best Picture for once. Replace Ray and Finding Neverland with The Machinist and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and it'd be perfect (I'm not counting Shaun of the Dead)

I was ticked off last year, Bill Murray gets screwed, Peter Jackson gets a very undeserved sweep, after about the third award LOTR got I almost turned it off. I know alot of people like 'em but I just don't think they're all they're cracked up to be.

this might be the first time in awhile that I don't know who's going to win. If I had to guess I'd say....

Picture- Aviator
Director- Clint Eastwood
Screenplay- (original) Aviator, (adapted) Million Dollar Baby
Actor- Jamie Foxx
Actress- Hilary Swank

I know they're pretty generic and expected but that's just what I think is going to happen although it would be nice to see Eternal Sunshine pick up the screenplay oscar.

as for Finding Neverland I think it's a real credit to Johnny Depp how he single handedly made that movie as good as it is just like he did with Pirates of the Carribean. If Charlie and the Chocolate Factory does what it's being built up to do it should be a third str8 nomination next year, also Pirates 2 comes out either late this year or next year can't remember and if that does well then I think you put Depp up there with Denzel,Hanks,Spacey ect.

The STE
02-27-2005, 08:20 PM
YES! YES! FUCKING A! Eternal Sunshine gets Screenplay!

BH14
02-27-2005, 08:42 PM
I havent seen any of these movies... WHat movies do you all suggest??

The STE
02-27-2005, 08:45 PM
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

AUSTIN316426808
02-28-2005, 03:00 PM
Million Dollar Baby owned The Aviator as it should've.

And just like all of Jim Carrey's movies the Writing was noticed but what he did with the writing wasn't sure he would've lost to Jamie anyway but still a nomination every now and then would be nice.

Overall I think the show was cool, except for Sean Penn making his little comment, it was a joke lighten the hell up.

The STE
02-28-2005, 03:05 PM
that's what I said

The_Return
02-28-2005, 03:07 PM
I was surprised by Best Song...I really thought Learn to Be Lonely would get it...beautiful song. I didnt care for that spanish one that won...

I really want to see MDB...Im renting Ray this weekend, and probably Eternal Sunshine...

AUSTIN316426808
02-28-2005, 03:08 PM
that's what I said

I guess you're talking about the Sean Penn thing. I don't really see what the big deal was, Chris even said ''if you want Denzel and all you can get is me'' I think that should've made up for what he said about the other guys.

AUSTIN316426808
02-28-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by The_Return
I was surprised by Best Song...I really thought Learn to Be Lonely would get it...beautiful song. I didnt care for that spanish one that won...

I really want to see MDB...Im renting Ray this weekend, and probably Eternal Sunshine...

there were things that won that I didn't expect but the only thing that actually surprised me was Best Animated Film I thought Shrek was going to get it, not that I really care though it was just the only thing that was surprising everything else was either expected(Jamie Foxx,Hilary Swank ect.) or just one of the two Favorites winning(Million Dollar Baby for picture,Aviator for editing ect.).

The_Return
03-01-2005, 01:56 PM
there were things that won that I didn't expect but the only thing that actually surprised me was Best Animated Film I thought Shrek was going to get it, not that I really care though it was just the only thing that was surprising everything else was either expected(Jamie Foxx,Hilary Swank ect.) or just one of the two Favorites winning(Million Dollar Baby for picture,Aviator for editing ect.).

I was expecting Incredible to win that, simply because Sherck was ALOT like the 1st one, and critics didnt like Shark Tale. That leaves only one choice...

AUSTIN316426808
03-01-2005, 03:27 PM
I was expecting Incredible to win that, simply because Sherck was ALOT like the 1st one, and critics didnt like Shark Tale. That leaves only one choice...

I didn't see any of 'em I just figured shrek was going to win I guess because of how big it was and what it did last time at the oscars.

AUSTIN316426808
03-01-2005, 04:34 PM

I think the reason they won best song is because it had a message and it's somewhat of a powerful song where as on the other hand Learn to be Loney while a beautiful song is just for that movie and doesn't have any real meaning. Just to make an educated guess I would say Believe the song from Polar Express was probably second choice for the Academy.