PDA

View Full Version : daylight savings time (my made up urban legend)

jedicow
02-21-2005, 01:57 PM
i once worked with this guy who was really ignorant and one day he asked us why we practiced daylight savings time. this is what i told him, made up completely on the spot.

i told him that it was beacuse of the salem witch trials in the 1600s. i told him that back then, people in power (i.e. governors, mayors, etc.) were secretly witches and they passed a decree which added an extra hour of night for them to conduct their spells and witchcraft. after the witch trials, when all the witches were burned at the stake, the townspeople set the time back to the way it had been. now it is just tradition to practice daylight saving time.

i also told him that when this was passed as a law in the 1940s, it was because the government was infested with a secret cult of witches and they only made it for half a year so people wouldnt get suspicious.

he was mortified. i was proud.

Za'afiel
02-21-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by jedicow
i once worked with this guy who was really ignorant and one day he asked us why we practiced daylight savings time. this is what i told him, made up completely on the spot.

i told him that it was beacuse of the salem witch trials in the 1600s. i told him that back then, people in power (i.e. governors, mayors, etc.) were secretly witches and they passed a decree which added an extra hour of night for them to conduct their spells and witchcraft. after the witch trials, when all the witches were burned at the stake, the townspeople set the time back to the way it had been. now it is just tradition to practice daylight saving time.

i also told him that when this was passed as a law in the 1940s, it was because the government was infested with a secret cult of witches and they only made it for half a year so people wouldnt get suspicious.

he was mortified. i was proud.

Nice Urban Legend I'm impressed. A very creative story.