PDA

View Full Version : Any New True Horror Authors?

lee challenger
02-19-2005, 11:39 PM
Can anyone recommend any new proper horror writers that I may not know about? Here in England book shops and book clubs are just full of cop thrillers such as stuff by James Patterson.
Where are the new generation of true horror writers to replace Stephen King, Robert R McCammon,Richard Laymon,James Herbert and Clive Barker to name just a few.

thepennh
02-28-2005, 10:34 AM
Check out The Pennh at www.thepennh.com.

jedicow
02-28-2005, 01:43 PM
try brian keene and bentley little.

darrick
03-26-2005, 09:43 PM
might I suggest the weird, horror short stories of Thomas Ligotti...

here are a couple reviews so you can get a taste.

"Thomas Ligotti is one of the very few great masters of visionary horror." Ramsey Campbell

"Thomas Ligotti is a major figure in the contemporary literature of supernatural horror. Like H. P. Lovecraft and Ramsey Campbell, he is a scholar of literature, a fine critical mind, and a superior writer of the short story. His work is a delight for connoisseurs and a revelation to new readers. Ligott is an explosion of darkness."
David G. Hartwell

Personally, he is my favorite next to H. P. Lovecraft himself. You won't want to read more than one, maybe two at a time so you can savor the atmosphere of unreality he invokes.

Darrick

ItsAlive75
03-29-2005, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by darrick
might I suggest the weird, horror short stories of Thomas Ligotti...

here are a couple reviews so you can get a taste.

"Thomas Ligotti is one of the very few great masters of visionary horror." Ramsey Campbell

"Thomas Ligotti is a major figure in the contemporary literature of supernatural horror. Like H. P. Lovecraft and Ramsey Campbell, he is a scholar of literature, a fine critical mind, and a superior writer of the short story. His work is a delight for connoisseurs and a revelation to new readers. Ligott is an explosion of darkness."
David G. Hartwell

Personally, he is my favorite next to H. P. Lovecraft himself. You won't want to read more than one, maybe two at a time so you can savor the atmosphere of unreality he invokes.

Darrick

I actually have him in an anthology book I've got, I haven't read his piece yet but from what you've posted he sounds good!

The STE
04-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Edward Lee

nwdavies
04-09-2005, 12:28 PM
Have you tried Douglas Clegg? I've read three of his so far and really enjoyed them - but be warned!!!! I've never managed to find him in a book shop in England.. my books are from amazon.co.uk and ebay.

Check out his website on http://www.douglasclegg.com/

sandy_x
04-23-2005, 02:55 PM
peter james is a good read.

splatjoe
04-24-2005, 06:27 PM
How about me.
Joe Knetter (http://www.joeknetter.com)

Davemaddog
04-25-2005, 10:15 AM
You'll have to check out Brian Lumley. The author of the Necroscope series. Vampires (serious ones, we aint talking Buffy here), rising the dead, and a hell of a lot more..............................:D

zwoti
04-25-2005, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Davemaddog
You'll have to check out Brian Lumley. The author of the Necroscope series. Vampires (serious ones, we aint talking Buffy here), rising the dead, and a hell of a lot more..............................:D

not bad.....read a few of his books

KealanPatrick
04-30-2005, 02:04 PM
I'd have to heartily second Douglas Clegg. Glen Hirshberg is also one to look out for.

All the best,

Kealan Patrick Burke
www.kealanpatrickburke.com

JSneddon
05-04-2005, 09:20 PM
Tim Lebbon

Vodstok
06-09-2005, 05:00 AM
Havent experienced too many new or obscure authors recently

and since everyone else is pimping the site here:

Http://ScaredYet.Net

Matthew Warner
06-17-2005, 07:01 AM
I linked to a ton of new (living) horror and thriller writers at this link (http://www.matthewwarner.com/links.htm). Right now my fav is David Morrell, the creator of RAMBO.