PDA

View Full Version : Review: The Devil's Backbone

BH14
02-09-2005, 10:27 PM
This is a great movie and its one of those movies that will hold your attention all throughout. There isnt much gore or scary parts but it definetly worth to watch... Especially if you like "The Others" or "The Sixth Sense". I wish more movies would make scripts like this. 5 stars

knife_fight
02-09-2005, 10:32 PM
I like this movie, but didn't this director go on to make the Hellboy movie? not that I'm disrespectin' Hellboy or anything, but the Devil's Backbone is a much superior film.

BH14
02-09-2005, 10:50 PM
Hellboy was horrible... I think I fell asleep twice during that movie.

Angra
02-09-2005, 11:16 PM
Devils Backbone is the best Spanish horror movie i´ve seen so far. Love the parts where the boy is being followed by the ghost, especially the keyhole scene:)

:cool:

slasherman
02-10-2005, 06:15 AM
Some good scenes..but the ghost is too human...its good to some and bad to others....I dont like nice ghosts :( its like those fucking animals film from Disney....
....but worth seeing

BH14
02-10-2005, 08:33 AM
after seeing this movie and then nodding out to friday the 13th part 3, i went to sleep and had the scariest nightmare i had in long time. it felt like grudge/the devil's backbone. it went like this: I felt like sarah michelle gellar in the grudge and would catch glimpses of ghosts here and there (remember the bus scene). And my friend said she had a dream about signing a contract, but I knew the contract was bad (you had to state your hair color, eye color, etc in the contract). Then, I can see myself waking up from a sleep and walking towards my door and seeing my friend kinda like being hypnotized and sleepwalking towards outside. As soon as i looked outside, i could see a ton of people as ghosts floating around. They were the human ghosts/vampire look but they were floating around and going after the normal people. It reminded me of pac-man where all the ghosts chase pac-man. I ran out to chase my friend so she can stay away from em. Suddenly, I was being chased by a woman ghost and i stopped and pointed my palm out to her to say stop! I was trying to shoot fire out of my palm, but didnt work. She got me and then I shot up to the clouds and I would be the one signing the contract. As soon i signed the contract, i woke up and my heart was racing like crazy. It felt like a contract to enter the gates of heaven but it wasnt (maybe it was selling my soul to the vampire/ghosts) . Oh by the way, Def Leopard was in it too but dont remember exactly how.

Anyways, i think the idea of real life looking vampire/ghosts that go after people as if they were buncha zombies is a great idea.
(put teeth on the lil boy in devil's backbone and make him float around)... must glide around though

Angra
02-10-2005, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by BH14

(put teeth on the lil boy in devil's backbone and make him float around)... must glide around though

....... And then you have "Salems lot". What´s new about that idea? :confused:

ItsAlive75
02-10-2005, 12:50 PM
This thread freaked me out when I saw it, I just ordered that movie off BestBuy like 10 seconds before I saw this thread... Weird.

Anyway, Del Toro also did Cronos and Blade 2, both of which kiss all sorts of ass.

Angra
02-10-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by ItsAlive75

Anyway, Del Toro also did Cronos and Blade 2, both of which kiss all sorts of ass.

Was that a positive comment?:confused:

BH14
02-10-2005, 02:21 PM
i guess subconsciencly thats where it came from. in my dream though, they were all adults though.

ItsAlive75
02-10-2005, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Angra
Was that a positive comment?:confused:

You know, at first it was but now I'm not sure at all.

X¤MurderDoll¤X
02-10-2005, 07:18 PM
Is it really scary?

Angra
02-10-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by X¤MurderDoll¤X
Is it really scary?

No, it´s a LITTLE scary. But is´s a good movie and very entertaining also. The ending could have been a lot creepier but..... Yeah well..

nine9
02-12-2005, 07:06 AM
I loved this movie! I thought it was more sad than scary though.

The director did Hellboy? Really?:confused: If so that is really weird...........I kind of liked Hellboy, but completely different movie than this one.

MisterSadistro
02-12-2005, 04:28 PM
Is it really scary?
No, not at all if you. Nothing in the film ever really makes you "jump". It's more of an eerieness that never really seems to let up. I'd recommend it though.
CK

ItsAlive75
02-12-2005, 06:58 PM
Just got my copy today and finished watching it. Gotta tell ya, this film is fuckin amazing.

I'm not one for subtitles, but I just got lost in this damn flick. Del Toro is talented to say the least.

jbrem01
05-16-2005, 09:11 AM
Hey, I just saw a review of this movie, and it looked really good but to see it, I maybe forced to buy it without renting it first, is it worth it to you guys? And on another thread it says that they couldn't get the english subtitles up and no hablo espanol.
Thanks guys.

mothermold
05-16-2005, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by BH14
This is a great movie and its one of those movies that will hold your attention all throughout. There isnt much gore or scary parts but it definetly worth to watch... Especially if you like "The Others" or "The Sixth Sense". I wish more movies would make scripts like this. 5 stars

a really great atmospheric ghost story.this is without a doubt del toro's best work.....all his "other" films stunk.this movie really delievers on plot and acting,good visuals....an easy 8.worth a look!;)

bschulte
07-09-2005, 09:33 AM
My Review of The Devil's Backbone (http://www.brettschulte.net/BrettsDVDs/DVDs/Horror/TheDevilsBackbone.html)

This Spanish language film (with English subtitles) is a very effective little ghost story. Directed by Guillermo del Toro, The Devil's Backbone follows young Carlos (Fernando Tielve), whose father has been killed in the Spanish Civil War. He is dropped off at an orphanage for kids like himself whose fathers had died fighting for their cause. As Carlos tries to settle in and adjust to his new surroundings, he at first is picked on by the larger and apparently older Jaime (Íñigo Garcés). This changes as the movie progresses, however. The Principal (Marisa Paredes) is a woman dedicated to the Communist cause, and who has lost both her husband and her leg. She is loved by Dr. Casares, a man who has risked his life and stayed in Spain just to be near her. And she is being screwed (literally and figuratively as it turns out) by 20-something Jacinto (Eduardo Noriega), a man who is after one thing and one thing only. As the days go by, Carlos soon learns that the school is haunted. He starts seeing the ghost of a little boy, and the children call this ghost "the one who sighs". I really enjoyed this one. Director del Toro evokes a creepy atmosphere throughout, and the reason the ghost is there soon becomes apparent. Before giving my final rating, let me deviate just a little and mention the subtitles. I am a firm believer that foreign-language films should be watched using the subtitles instead of dubbing. Dubbing is not even an option on this disc, so if you aren't like me and you must have dubbing, I'd probably stay away. On the other hand, this movie is a very good ghost story and is definitely worth forking over your hard-earned dough for. I give it a solid 7/10.