PDA

View Full Version : Karloff or Lugosi?

avenger00soul
11-15-2003, 01:31 PM
This is reportedly one of the biggest "feuds" of all time. Some say they hated one another, some say that was just a rumor. So who do you guys prefer: Karloff or Lugosi?

allmykids
11-15-2003, 06:39 PM
karloff, for sure ,normally i would go for the vamp but karloff just creeps me out and i love that.

blackace
11-16-2003, 01:24 PM
LOL

Here we go

Lugosi for sure. Hypnotizing eyes. Blood sucking. Mummy moves too slow.

allmykids
11-16-2003, 02:13 PM
he was in alot more things than just the mummy.

blackace
11-16-2003, 02:30 PM
I know and so was Lugosi. He was very good but I just dont think that Lugosi is not given enough credit for his roles. Fortunetly for Boris he had more success than Bela. Boris was an excellent make up artist though.

avenger00soul
11-16-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by allmykids
he was in alot more things than just the mummy.

Karloff is mainly known for the Mummy and Frankenstein while Lugosi is mainly known for Dracula. But they both did WAY more stuff. I like them both but I'm giving Lugosi the edge b/c Ed Wood was a great film and I love the original Dracula.

moonsorrow
11-17-2003, 02:49 AM
im going to have to go with lugosi on this one, my moneys always on the cainite

mictlan
11-18-2003, 03:54 AM
I want to say apples and oranges, they are both in such good stuff. But my money's on Karloff. His voice; the Frankenstein monster; his anthology TV show... he really left a legacy and Bela's pales in comparison.

The real answer is: The Black Cat, IMHO their best film separate or together. At times it reminds me of Suspiria because it's an art deco horror film... no cobwebs or shadows (except when Lugosi skins Karloff at the end) just bright and new and weird and creepy.

ShamSham04
11-18-2003, 04:25 AM
Picked Karloff because his voice was awesome in How The Grinch Stole Christmas. I watch that every year!

Oh, and also because of Frankenstein and The Mummy... :D

Killer Clown#1
11-18-2003, 06:09 AM
I have to give props to karloff he did The mummy & Frankinstin:) two great classics.

meetthecreeper
11-18-2003, 07:08 AM
Karloff is awesome in the Mummy this movie really scAred me as a kid, Lugosi in Dracula was excellent, and that movie about Zombies, the name escapes me but I think it would be a photo finish with Lugosi coming out just ahead,.

avenger00soul
11-18-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by meetthecreeper
Karloff is awesome in the Mummy this movie really scAred me as a kid, Lugosi in Dracula was excellent, and that movie about Zombies, the name escapes me but I think it would be a photo finish with Lugosi coming out just ahead,.

Do you mean White Zombie?

SoUl SuRvIvOrS
11-18-2003, 09:27 PM
Bela Lugosi...hands down..did you know he was also credited as Olt Arisztid and Arisztid Olt in his early 1900 movies..
I love him in: Naszdal 1917, Lili 1918, Tanz auf dem Vulkan 1920, Der Januskopf 1920, Fluch der Menschheit 1920, The Devil Bat 1940, Black Dragons 1942, Zombie on Broadway 1945, The Phantom Creeps 1949, Mother Riley Meets the Vampire 1952, Bride of the Monster 1955, The Black Sleep 1956, Innocent Blood 1992....Innocent Blood wasent that bad..could have been better though.

Arioch
11-20-2003, 04:19 PM
Its hard to say they've both been so influential in how we view monsters.

Personally i have to say Karloff, I love frankenstien, i also love the original dracula such a hard choice. Good thread

SoUl SuRvIvOrS
11-23-2003, 12:12 AM
They are both great but something about a blood sucker appeals more to me then a creature peiced together of used parts. Dont know...:)

devilsbackbone
11-24-2003, 03:08 PM
no one can dout that lugosi would win! hey ideia movie! i need to write this down!!!!!!! i'll make millions i tell ya millions!

hollywoodgothiq
05-07-2006, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by blackace
Boris was an excellent make up artist though.

Boris Karloff was a great actor, but not a makeup artist. Surely you're thinking of Lon Chaney, who did both?

As for the Karloff-Lugosi rivalry, I think Karloff was probably the more versatile character actor, able to bring more subtlety to his roles.

But Lugosi was the master of over-the-top melodramatic villainy, and I think his performances in horror films hit the mark more often.

A lot of times, Karloff doesn't seem that menacing, and he occasionally seems to be walking through his films, wishing he was doing something better.

Lugosi always through himself into everything, pulling out all the stops. The result could be hammy, but it tended to liven up some pretty dull material.

Tat2
05-16-2006, 09:15 PM
William Henry Pratt....AKA Boris Karloff, IMO was far more versitile and added more "creepy elements" to the films he was in compaired to Bela Lugosi.

Although Bela played the monster in Frankenstein meets the Wolfman (my favorite "Frankenstein" film), comparing Bela's Frankensteins Monster to Karloffs' Monster, there is no question.

IMO, Boris Karloff is the King of the 30's-40's Horror movies...bar none.

hollywoodgothiq
05-16-2006, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Tat2
Although Bela played the monster in Frankenstein meets the Wolfman (my favorite "Frankenstein" film), comparing Bela's Frankensteins Monster to Karloffs' Monster, there is no question.

It's not really a fair comparison. At the end of GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN, the previous film in the series, the original monster for all intents and purposes dies; that is, his brain is replaced by that of Igor, the character Lugosi played.

So in FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLFMAN, Lugosi is really playing Igor in a new, stronger body. AS the story goes, the character was supposed to be blind (another piece of continuity with the previous film), and he talked with Igor's voice.

Post-production editing deleted all this continuity, so it seems as if Lugois is stumbling around with those heavy-lidded eyes and out-stretched arms for no reason -- when in fact he's playing a blind character.

That doesn't elevate the performance to Karloff level, but at least it sort of makes some sense.

Spaceman Spiff
06-09-2006, 01:20 PM
^ Eveything hollywoodgothiq said.

As for my preference, I'm giving my vote to Karloff. I loves me some Lugosi, but as an actor, Karloff wasmuch more subtle and versatile.

Still, it's a joy to watch either of these men onscreen.

And Ed Wood's great, too. :D

The_Return
06-10-2006, 04:56 AM
In all honesty, Karloff is probably the overall better actor. That said, Lugosi wins hands just simply due to Dracula. One of the greatest horror performances Ive ever seen, even though some of his other films arent that great.

Haunted
06-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Part of me wants to say that comparing Karloff to Lugosi is akin to comparing apples and oranges, because they both had really really unique elements that they brought to the screen.

Lugosi's major problem was, in fact, Dracula, because in everyone's mind, including his own, he was alway going to be Dracula. Whereas Karloff could play a character, play it well, and then give equally to another role.

alkytrio666
06-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Haunted
Part of me wants to say that comparing Karloff to Lugosi is akin to comparing apples and oranges, because they both had really really unique elements that they brought to the screen.

Lugosi's major problem was, in fact, Dracula, because in everyone's mind, including his own, he was alway going to be Dracula. Whereas Karloff could play a character, play it well, and then give equally to another role.

Exactly.

And I can't choose because, as Haunted said, they're apples and oranges.

Haunted
06-29-2006, 02:39 PM
Think about it. What are the two major Gothic novels that have shaped our notions of horror or at the very least are the most famous in the English literary world? Frankenstein (Mary Shelley) and Dracula (Bram Stoker).

How cool would it have been to be chosen to play the "Moster" Frankenstein or Dracula. Karloff was like "Hell yeah!" but he didn't did stop there. He went on, took off the make up, and could take on anything else with as much gusto.

Lugosi, and Goddess knows I love 'im, could never leave that part behind. The cloak, the hair, the make up, were always a ghostly part of what ever wardrobe he was wearing. Hell, he was buried in that attire.

(For the love of all good films, don't jump down my throat), but Lugosi's thrall reminds me a bit like Jack Nicolson. Sure he's played some good roles, but he always fills his character with (except in Easy Rider) with the same wicked, smarmy, devilish, cruelty. He could be playing Jesus, and he'd still act like an asshole.

It's called typecasting, as we all know. Many many actors fall into that pit, and can't get out.

hollywoodgothiq
06-29-2006, 08:34 PM
You're correct, to some extent, about Lugosi, but you go too far when you say he could "never" leave the part of Dracula behind, and the cloak and hair and make up were "always" a part of his every wardrobe.

Take a look at Lugosi's performance as Igor in SON OF FRANKENSTEIN and GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN -- wonderfully creepy and absolutely nothing like Dracula. He also did a nice job with more sympathetic characters in THE BLACK CAT and THE INVISIBLE RAY. In short, he wasn't quite the one-note wonder some would make him out to be.

Haunted
06-30-2006, 05:12 AM
Nonono... I'm saying that Dracula was alway on his mind. I think that he sort of figured that it was his best work, instead of really giving into his other roles. Maybe, I'm wrong. It's been a while since I've seen THE BLACK CAT. (Perhaps worth watching again for research on this topic, though).

tachii
07-09-2006, 01:11 PM
lugosi was way sexier :p

hollywoodgothiq
07-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Yes, he should have been Im-Ho-Tep in THE MUMMY. I couldn't buy Karloff's eternal love for the leading lady, but I would have believed it with Lugosi.

tachii
07-09-2006, 02:35 PM
with lugosi any thing is possible;)

spookychild
07-11-2006, 11:21 AM
Lugosi rocks. Karloff has his place and I respect his roles, but who else could you hear saying "chidren of the night what music they make". That line always gives me chills. :[

Zero
07-11-2006, 12:25 PM
Karloff - without a doubt. The overwhelming pathos of the monster is something lugos could never pull off

(now, throw lon chaney into the mix and its LON all the way!

tachii
07-11-2006, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by spookychild
Lugosi rocks. Karloff has his place and I respect his roles, but who else could you hear saying "chidren of the night what music they make". That line always gives me chills. :[

wicked

Miss Olivia
07-15-2006, 10:24 PM
Elton, I hope your prostate falls out your ass.

I love Bela Lugosi.

Angelakillsluts
07-16-2006, 08:22 AM
boris karloff

I agree with Haunted about Lugosi

crazy raplh
07-18-2006, 08:23 AM
I would say a tie, they both did great films.

JBE
07-30-2006, 10:36 AM
I was going to say Lugosi but yesterday i saw The Bride Of Frankenstein and now i have to say it's a tie :)

a mccuaig
07-31-2006, 07:31 PM
oh boy. there's no way I can pick one over the other. both actors were amazing in everything they did. no one else could ever take the place of such kick ass acting!

Nightshade
08-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Lugosi

Ooky_Kabuki
08-09-2006, 10:53 PM
Bela Lugosi, no contest.

ViciousT
08-10-2006, 06:04 AM
Lugosi with no contest:)

storyteller
08-13-2006, 02:24 PM
Lugosi

punk666
08-13-2006, 02:30 PM
karloff :D

Vodstok
08-14-2006, 08:24 AM
I loved Lugosi (Martin landau) in Ed Wood.
[Regarding Boris Karloff]
"Fuck YOU! That limey asshole is not worthy to smell my shit!"

urgeok
08-14-2006, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Vodstok
I loved Lugosi (Martin landau) in Ed Wood.
[Regarding Boris Karloff]
"Fuck YOU! That limey asshole is not worthy to smell my shit!"

i'm sorry sir,

we can let you post that here.

now move along.

Vodstok
08-14-2006, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by urgeok
i'm sorry sir,

we can let you post that here.

now move along. you are sorry i can?

Its okay, im cool with that :D

urgeok
08-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Vodstok
you are sorry i can?

Its okay, im cool with that :D

in my haste i lost a letter ...

here it is :

Vodstok
08-14-2006, 08:57 AM
Now you are just cracking me up...

Roderick Usher
08-19-2006, 01:50 PM
Love 'em both, but I gotta say Karloff.

Lugosi's ego blew it for him. Hot off of Dracula, he turned down the role of the Creature in Frankenstein because there was no dialogue. He had no faith in his ability to act without speaking. Lugosi could have ended this debate before it started had he simply taken the role.

Karloff nailed it and became an icon.

And I'm sure all the Whos in Whoville would agree.

CrimsonFiend138
08-19-2006, 03:13 PM
Vodstok is CRAZY...

I love them both. They are fuckin' amazing.

But I am going with Karloff because Frankenstein is awesome and that is that. I don't think there should be a debate anyway.

BUUUUUT I didn't know Karloff was the voice in the Grinch,so that a DEFINITE plus!! :)

voorhees92
08-20-2006, 07:52 PM
I'm in a tough tie--Lugosi was the ultimate blood-sucker, but Karloff played the hell-raising creation. UUUGGHHHH!!!!!!!!

CrimsonFiend138
08-27-2006, 07:56 PM
I just watched the Devil Bat, Same Lugosi

Disease
09-24-2006, 01:08 AM
I think I would have to go with Karloff, He had a much better array of characters

evildemontoo
10-02-2006, 06:37 PM
Jeez, while Dracula is probably my favorite movie with Frankenstein my second, I would have to say that Karloff was creepier and had a wider array of characters. When you think old horror Karloff always comes to mind.

I'm sorry Lugosi! :(

evildemontoo
10-02-2006, 07:25 PM
If you want to check out a couple of Lugosi films and get the Turner Cable Movie channel on cable (this is a basic cable channel where I live), this Friday, Oct 6th you can see:

9:30 PM EST Murders in the Rue Morgue (1932)
A mad doctor tries to mix human and gorilla blood with deadly results. Cast: Bela Lugosi, Sidney Fox, Leon Ames. Dir: Robert Florey. BW-61 mins, TV-PG, CC

10:45 PM EST Devil Bat, The (1940)
A mad scientist trains killer bats to respond to a special scent. Cast: Bela Lugosi, Suzanne Kaaren, David O'Brien. Dir: Jean Yarbrough. BW-68 mins, TV-PG

Looks cool, in fact I don't think I have ever seen Devil Bat, I'll have to check it out myself!