PDA

View Full Version : Fat Tuesday!!!

ItsAlive75
02-08-2005, 05:59 PM
What's everybody doin for Fat Tuesday?

I'm sittin drinkin Coors Light and reading Robert Frost for my poetry class tomorrow.

Let's hope y'all have better plans than me.

knife_fight
02-08-2005, 06:16 PM
I live in Mobile, AL, the town where Mardi Gras started. but I had to work. sucks.

I didn't know anyone outside of Mobile or New Orleans even knew what Fat Tuesday was, much less celebrated it

ItsAlive75
02-08-2005, 06:17 PM
Its pretty much turned into a drinking holiday where we all go to the bars and watch girls show the goods.

Which is what I'd be doing if I wasn't broke and had class tomorrow.

Damn stupid life with stupid responsibilities....
Stupid Volkswagen....

Gren the cake
02-08-2005, 06:19 PM
i went shopping, my mom came home, and now im gonna take a nap!! ^_^

im gonna try and do my HW tonight too (its not due till sunday, and usually i wait till last minute but im gonna try not to do that anymore)

ItsAlive75
02-08-2005, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Gren the cake
i went shopping, my mom came home, and now im gonna take a nap!! ^_^

im gonna try and do my HW tonight too (its not due till sunday, and usually i wait till last minute but im gonna try not to do that anymore)

I dunno, that seems like a reasonable plan...

I've been doin that for years, and look at me!!!!

:mad:

Gren the cake
02-08-2005, 06:20 PM
omg, ive been inspired

TONIGHT. afte my shower (i cant cook/bake when im dirty),,

ITS ON!!

Brownies
Soft butter, for greasing the pan
Flour, for dusting the buttered pan
4 large eggs
1 cup sugar, sifted
1 cup brown sugar, sifted
8 ounces melted butter
11/4 cups cocoa, sifted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Butter and flour an 8-inch square pan.
In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the eggs at medium speed until fluffy and light yellow. Add both sugars. Add remaining ingredients, and mix to combine.

Pour the batter into a greased and floured 8-inch square pan and bake for 45 minutes. Check for doneness with the tried-and-true toothpick method: a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan should come out clean. When it's done, remove to a rack to cool. Resist the temptation to cut into it until it's mostly cool.

ALTON BROWN RULEZ!!

ItsAlive75
02-08-2005, 06:22 PM
omg, ive been inspired

TONIGHT. afte my shower (i cant cook/bake when im dirty),,

ITS ON!!

Brownies
Soft butter, for greasing the pan
Flour, for dusting the buttered pan
4 large eggs
1 cup sugar, sifted
1 cup brown sugar, sifted
8 ounces melted butter
11/4 cups cocoa, sifted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Butter and flour an 8-inch square pan.
In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the eggs at medium speed until fluffy and light yellow. Add both sugars. Add remaining ingredients, and mix to combine.

Pour the batter into a greased and floured 8-inch square pan and bake for 45 minutes. Check for doneness with the tried-and-true toothpick method: a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan should come out clean. When it's done, remove to a rack to cool. Resist the temptation to cut into it until it's mostly cool.

ALTON BROWN RULEZ!!

You have vanilla extract??

You must be a billionaire.

Gren the cake
02-08-2005, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by ItsAlive75
I dunno, that seems like a reasonable plan...

I've been doin that for years, and look at me!!!!

:mad:
lol. well i leave till last minute but i always get 100%. i did a whole threa on my ingeniusness. i was like within 15 points of perfect in all my classes

and this year, we get 20 pts automatic xtra credit if we do all our tests on time (that is, ur allowed to miss a couple so long as u send him email saying 'missed test #_, forgiveness please' no really, he wants u to say forgiveness..

but yah, thats good AND bad. 1) guarantees me and a
BUT 2) now all of a sudden i hafto get OVER 100% due to that xtra 20 points.. grr. i have problems

Gren the cake
02-08-2005, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by ItsAlive75
You have vanilla extract??

You must be a billionaire.

:) i hav a whole fucking PINT of it!!

ItsAlive75
02-08-2005, 06:25 PM
:) i hav a whole fucking PINT of it!!

Tril.....Trillionaire?

I thought you all went extinct!

barbra
02-08-2005, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by knife_fight
I live in Mobile, AL, the town where Mardi Gras started. but I had to work. sucks.

I didn't know anyone outside of Mobile or New Orleans even knew what Fat Tuesday was, much less celebrated it
I grew up in mobile, and my parents work there, they got the day off... Anyways you should go to daulphin street tonight instead of sitting at your computer, its fat tuesday!

ItsAlive75
02-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by barbra
Anyways you should go to daulphin street tonight instead of sitting at your computer, its fat tuesday!

Well why aren't YOU out?:eek:

barbra
02-08-2005, 07:56 PM
I am across the bay, sitting close to E and its the first day of business at my place of work, so I have to be there early. Its lame I know, but your excuse is more lame because you see, you are already there.

ItsAlive75
02-08-2005, 07:57 PM
Its lame I know, but your excuse is more lame because you see, you are already there.

Can't deny that.

barbra
02-08-2005, 07:59 PM
its only 11, just hitch a ride, me on the other hand, well, its time to shower please myself and then a little r.e.m.

ItsAlive75
02-08-2005, 08:01 PM
its only 11, just hitch a ride, me on the other hand, well, its time to shower please myself and then a little r.e.m.

Well wowzers. That's a night alright.

As for myself, I got a lot of reading to do for class tomorrow, so I don't have time to go OUT and get drunk...

or please myself.

AUSTIN316426808
02-08-2005, 10:45 PM
I just got home.

my friends and I went to two parades then went to the French Quarter and hung out.

AUSTIN316426808
02-08-2005, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by knife_fight

I knew other people knew about it, I just didn't know they celebrated it.

Vodstok
02-09-2005, 04:22 AM
In 2000 i went to mardi gras in New Orleans. Got there on Fat Tuesday, didnt leave until the following thursday.

I drank more beer and saw more naked tits than i though humanly possible. Also went to a cowboy mouth concert, saw 3 women have sex with each other on a balcony, and saw a guy who was pissing on a wall take a beer out of one o fthe gigantic piles of garbage that build up on the street and drink it.

This year, i had about 6 glasses of Jack Daniels, and my wife flashed me once. At 28, i enjoyed that even more than i enjoyed the trip to NO. At least i get to TOUCH my wife's :)

ItsAlive75
02-09-2005, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Vodstok
At least i get to TOUCH my wife's :)

Cuz if you didn't, that's when the problems start.

Vodstok
02-10-2005, 04:31 AM
They grow 'em smart out in Iowa, donyt they? ;)

urgeok
02-10-2005, 05:41 AM
here in Canada, fat tuesday is 2 for 1 big mac day at McDonalds !!

AUSTIN316426808
02-10-2005, 05:48 AM
here in New Orleans prices go up.

ItsAlive75
02-10-2005, 07:12 PM
They grow 'em smart out in Iowa, donyt they? ;)

Actually I was born in Chicago, but your point is still legit.

I'm a big dummy.

:D

Elliot_Voorhees
02-11-2005, 03:36 AM
Not being an American, I wouldnt know what this "fat tuesday" is, but anywho I am assuming its a day when u get a burger wif 2 kgs of fat for the price of 1kg :D haha I'm kidding. So what is it?

AUSTIN316426808
02-11-2005, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by Elliot_Voorhees
Not being an American, I wouldnt know what this "fat tuesday" is, but anywho I am assuming its a day when u get a burger wif 2 kgs of fat for the price of 1kg :D haha I'm kidding. So what is it?

it's a New Orleans holiday.

Vodstok
02-11-2005, 03:54 AM
Mardi Gras is the week leadin up to lent, so in New Orleans (and a few other places), every one goes all out and practices every form of debachery they can think of (EVERY form) in preparation for 40 days of absolution. it all ends on Ash Wednesday. Technically, it's all a big catholic thing, but those of us that arent catholic just go to dig ourelves into a deeper hole :D

AUSTIN316426808
02-11-2005, 04:11 AM
Mardi Gras is the week leadin up to lent, so in New Orleans (and a few other places), every one goes all out and practices every form of debachery they can think of (EVERY form) in preparation for 40 days of absolution. it all ends on Ash Wednesday. Technically, it's all a big catholic thing, but those of us that arent catholic just go to dig ourelves into a deeper hole :D

that's not what it's about here.

well it sorta is and sorta isn't.

Back in slavery times the catholic slave owners would let the slaves do as they wish(with obvious limitation)for a few days and that's how Mardi Gras started here, it coincided with the week leading up to lent because that's the time catholic slave owners were letting themselves go for the reason you mentioned. Also as you mentioned Ash Wednesday is the end of the time the catholics had before lent so of course that's when the slaves fun ended as well. As time went on it just turned into a week and a half of boose,beads and boobs.

that's just here,I don't know about the other places that celebrate it. (I thought we were the only ones that made it a holiday)