PDA

View Full Version : Gozu

Jason Hodder
02-07-2005, 10:20 AM
In the last issue of Fangoria there was a review of Takashi Miike's film Gozu. I went out and bought it and must say that I loved it. It was an amazing movie. Very, very strange. It was horror with a comedy twist. I tell people that if David Lynch was a Japanese director Miike would be him.

I have just one question though, I was watching the trailer that came along with the Special Edition DVD and after watching the movie it seems that there were a number of scenes that were in the trailer that weren't in the movie. Has anyone else noticed this or is there just a problem with the copy that I have?

Anyway, I would highly recomend this movie to anyone that likes weird movies that are also entertaining.

Two very enthusiastic thumbs up.

HappyCamper
02-07-2005, 10:31 AM
thanks, just added it to the top of my Netflix queque

HappyCamper
02-07-2005, 10:53 AM
I had a chance to see this at the Florida Film Festival last year, but missed out. You just reminded me of it, so I've added it to the top of my Netflix list. Thanks! HC

HappyCamper
02-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Just added it to the top of my Netflix queque!

Angra
02-07-2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by HappyCamper
Just added it to the top of my Netflix queque!

Eeeerh..... Are you retarded, or do you think we are???:confused:

I think that most of us got it the first time..:rolleyes:

urgeok
02-07-2005, 01:27 PM
i bought it in an asian store ... cheap as hell.
and found that it has no english subtitles ...
So, unless i learn japanese - it'll be a while before
i watch it.

The Mothman
04-29-2005, 09:00 AM
has anyone seen this twisted wierd film?

its by the japanese director Tashiki Miike, who made ichi the killer and audition. Suposedly its this one gang member who goes to this one place, and finds the goat-headed demon, and it is supposely really random.

zwoti
04-29-2005, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by The Mothman
has anyone seen this twisted wierd film?

its by the japanese director Tashiki Miike, who made ichi the killer and audition. Suposedly its this one gang member who goes to this one place, and finds the goat-headed demon, and it is supposely really random.

huh

a once respected yakuza bizarre antics begin to worry his elders (i mean.....anti-yakuza pet dogs ffs) so they decide that he should be "retired" and give the task to one of the younger members. on the way to the disposal yard the elder man is unintentionally killed (car crash i think) but after stopping at a restaurant to phone in the news the body disappears........this is the start of many strange happenings (what is it with miike and breast milk :eek: )

and from memory it's a bull/cow headed person

urgeok
04-29-2005, 12:14 PM
i have it ...

but there's no english on the DVD.

i guess i'll have to learn Japanese.

knife_fight
04-29-2005, 12:33 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. the one I rented had english subs.

urgeok
04-29-2005, 12:34 PM
the place i bought mine ... lets just say you take your chances because the price is right :D

zwoti
04-29-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by urgeok
the place i bought mine ... lets just say you take your chances because the price is right :D

just because you know what they are saying......doesn't make it much easier to work out whats going on

urgeok
04-29-2005, 01:14 PM
ahhh its like that is it..

just sit back and enjoy the violence !

zwoti
04-29-2005, 01:16 PM
ahhh its like that is it..

just sit back and enjoy the violence !

don't remember it being overly violent.....just weird

urgeok
04-29-2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by zwoti
don't remember it being overly violent.....just weird

***** spoiler alert *********

well i watch 5 minutes of the beginning and some guy stomps the shit out of a little dog ...

it calms down from there ?

zwoti
04-29-2005, 01:20 PM

well i watch 5 minutes of the beginning and some guy stomps the shit out of a little dog ...

that would be the anti-yakuza pet dog :p

and yes it does, though there is an anti-yakuza car :eek:

feral cat
04-29-2005, 01:34 PM
Kind of like twin peaks with a liberal dose of dark comedy … I really enjoyed this one ...

Kreech
10-02-2005, 10:29 AM
My good friend showed me this last night and it is one of, if not, my favorite movie(s). Eraserhead was surreal, but Gozu is ridiculously abstract and features some grand actors and even pretty good dialogue. It's mostly about suspense, and it's more of a psychological thriller than a classic 'horror' movie, but it's great. I am not even a fan of Japanese horror. In fact, i hate japanese horror, but this movie is great.

Gozu means cow head. And yeah, there is a man with a cow head in the film dripping snot onto a rug in a motel. It's pretty neat.

zwoti
10-02-2005, 01:05 PM
i think 1 thread is enough.......mergy mergy

noctuary
10-02-2005, 07:59 PM
Depending on your interpretation, there is more than one meaning to Gozu. Much as Ichi the Killer was a meditation on the latent sadomasochism present in Yakuza culture, so is Gozu a film about that culture's repressed homoeroticism. For examples, see the young thug's longing to be together with his "Brother" and the boss's inability to... er, perform... without the aid of hard metal objects in the rear. Just a theory though, anyone care to debate it?

handsome rob
10-04-2005, 10:28 AM

Yea that might just be my favorite scene in the history of cinema.

Other than that, I'll never understand that movie if I live to be 100.