PDA

View Full Version : Bouncing back

Vodstok
02-01-2005, 08:54 AM
Have any of you had anything horrible happen to you that you managed to survive without too much physical or emotional harm?

i know i have shared my moose story more than a few times. (I hit a moose with my Jetta in a snowstorm once. Very bad night. Saved me $550 a month though. insurance paid off the car)

I used to work in a wood shop, and i never cut anything off (thank god), but i have had my fair shar of other injuries.

Using a table saw, i once had a piece of wood about the size of a celery stalk bind up in the blade and come flying back to hit me in the gut. it flew so hard that it punched a hole in my jeans and underwear. It broke the skin (fortunately, i think the jeans absorbed most of the impact), and bruised the sit out of me. the spot where it hit swelled up to the size of a tennis ball, and i had a hard time going to the bathroom for a week.

Similar story. Same saw, only this thim the piece of wood was 6 feet long and 1"x1". My zipper saved me from any serious, permenant injury this time. I leaned over while the wood was being cut, again it bound up in the blade, only this time it didnt hit me in the gut. It hit me in mr penis.

Ever see those parts in movies where someone gets hit in the package and they make a goofy face, their eyes cross, and then they double over and fall? I did exactly that. I had enough presance of mind to turn off the saw, then slowly crawled across the floor to the wall so that i could just lean and try not to throw up. there are few things worse than a bruised pecker, i speak from experience.

Angra
02-01-2005, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Vodstok
Have any of you had anything horrible happen to you that you managed to survive without too much physical or emotional harm?

i know i have shared my moose story more than a few times. (I hit a moose with my Jetta in a snowstorm once. Very bad night. Saved me $550 a month though. insurance paid off the car)

I used to work in a wood shop, and i never cut anything off (thank god), but i have had my fair shar of other injuries.

Using a table saw, i once had a piece of wood about the size of a celery stalk bind up in the blade and come flying back to hit me in the gut. it flew so hard that it punched a hole in my jeans and underwear. It broke the skin (fortunately, i think the jeans absorbed most of the impact), and bruised the sit out of me. the spot where it hit swelled up to the size of a tennis ball, and i had a hard time going to the bathroom for a week.

Similar story. Same saw, only this thim the piece of wood was 6 feet long and 1"x1". My zipper saved me from any serious, permenant injury this time. I leaned over while the wood was being cut, again it bound up in the blade, only this time it didnt hit me in the gut. It hit me in mr penis.

Ever see those parts in movies where someone gets hit in the package and they make a goofy face, their eyes cross, and then they double over and fall? I did exactly that. I had enough presance of mind to turn off the saw, then slowly crawled across the floor to the wall so that i could just lean and try not to throw up. there are few things worse than a bruised pecker, i speak from experience.

I was hit by a Volkswagen van when i was driving home at night on my bicycle some years ago. In some weird way i ended up with just a little scratch over my left eye, while my bike was totally smashed to bye, bye... :) The end

Vodstok
02-01-2005, 09:09 AM
Some more:

At the same woodshop, i was showing a high-school kid we had working for us why you dont get directly behind the blade of a running saw. We were using a large belt-fed rip saw and using it to square up the sides of stair treads and i pointed past the blade, the rough edge of the piece of wood came flying back out of the saw at 200 mph and hit me in the arm. It wasnt very big, but it was long and ragged, and buried a 1/4 inch piece of wood the diatmeter or a thick toothpick got buried stright down into my arm.

It took me 15 minutes that night in the shower with a pair of tweezers to dig the wood out of the muscle on the underside of my arm. I still have a scar. I almost passed out and threw up a few times trying to get it out.

And now for the really fun one. i have a large table with no legs ptropped up against the wall (same shop. This is why i am a computer programmer now). i was breaking a big winder out of the clamps when i bumped the bottom of the table without realizing it.

60 lbs of sharp-edged wood slammed into my head. i never knew it was coming. The loudest sound in the world is something slamming into your head with great force. it knocked me on my ass from a kneeling position, but i never lost conciousness. It hurt worse than anything i have ever felt (yep, even worse than the hit in mr happy), and the skin split open enough that i could feel inside. Luckily, it didnt cut through the muscle or crack any bone.

I ended up calling 911 for myslef because no one else was in the shop at the time. I got bloo dall over the floor, and had soo much on my hands that they were stained for a couple of days. I completely soaked a wad of 10 paper towels.

When the EMTs showed up, i was carried out on a back board. They had a hard time because the shop was cluttered with equipment, and i was easily a head taller and 30 pounds heavier than the biggets one of them. i got 7 staples in my head, and to this day i have a 4 inch scar just above my hairline.

orangestar
02-01-2005, 01:20 PM
The worst I've ever done is when I was one and a half years old I was dancing around in the living room of my old house, I fell and bashed my head into the fireplace.

16 stiches. 2 inch scar right above my left eyebrow.

I really havent ever had any other injuries. Never even broken an arm.

One of my best friends has broken her arms 7 times because she's just really clumsy, and plays sports year round. I love the stories she tells about going to the hospital and being asked if her parents beat her

urgeok
02-01-2005, 02:24 PM
i cant remember if i mentioned this before or not ... (near death experience thread ??)

when i was a kid pumping gas in a camper van, the van and the pump caught fire cause the dumb fuck didnt turn the pilot light off
for the stove.

All i could think to do was to blow the flame like a candle - on the camper .. and the thing went out !
then i ran like hell for the fire extinguisher to blow out the pump.

The mechanic in the garage told me i was 'luckier than dick tracy' and by rights the whole thing should have blown to high heavens (it was a gas pumps/car dealership/garage/pop shop)
So i guess that means that there were about 10 lucky people, not just me.

Sedated_replica
02-01-2005, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Vodstok

Do you ever think God is trying to tell you something?

massacre man
02-01-2005, 05:31 PM
one of my friend's who was 3 years younger than me was walking across the street to my house he stopped to tie his shoes a big UPS truck came up and i guess it didn't see him i ran over and grabbed him and fell into a ditch we were both fine though and the truck kept going after that

meetthecreeper
02-01-2005, 06:02 PM
About 15 years ago, while working at a auto shop, I was working on a car and had the jack slip out from under the car with my hand in it. Its kind of hard to explain how this happened but you soon realize exactly how heavy a car is and how fast it tends to fall to the floor.

Lopped off about a quarter of my thumb. I didnt even realize it. Thought all I did was cut myself, grabbed some hand towels and wrapped the sucker.

Wasnt until I soaked the towel that I realized something was dreadfully wrong.

Took an ambulance ride to the hospital, I most def. recommend the nitrous oxide they give you, you still are in pain but you just dont give a fuck. And if you have a female EMT you may tell her you want to marry her.

This wasnt the worst, mechanics tend to get there hands a little dirty, oh hell I mean greasy black shit that leaves a stain in your daughters underwear.

Well before they could do surgery, it had to be cleaned right?

In come the novocaine shots in the thumb, 4 to be exact, you dont know pain until you get that done.

And then we will send you to Xray so you can sit there for about 2 hours hoping you dont bleed to death and let the novocaine wear off.

Back to the ER, no bone damage:D time for a good scrubbing.

4 guys holding me down while they scrub my thumb, novocaine had worn off. One guy started, I reached over with my good hand grabbed him by the back of the hair and told him that "Hey motherfucker, I dont think that shit is working."

Yea they dont like it when you do stuff like that. In come 2 more guys to hold me down. And after me screaming like a rabid banshee comes a 3rd. Interesting how much the nerve endings in your fingers pick up.

The guy doing the scrubbing, he felt real bad, think I made him cry. I walked around with my arm in a sling and a bandage on my thumb that made it look like I was carrying a Mr. Microphone, "Hey good looking be back to pick you up later."

I have had skin grafts, but its still scarred but doesnt look too bad if I hold it just right it looks normal.

Still work on cars but knock on wood *knocks skull* havent had anything else happen like that.

Oh wait I did get hit by a car in the shop, but that is another story.

meetthecreeper
02-01-2005, 06:10 PM
I am bored so

mid eighties Cadillacs Eldorados had a tendency to jump into gear at times.

I found this out at work when I walked in front of one, it jumped into gear and threw me against the wall. I wasnt hurt or anything, but this one service writer saw it , called 911.

The whole damn fire department shows up, people in rural areas dont have much to do, 3 fire trucks, a search and rescue truck and an ambulance. Plus several county sherriffs.

No one will let me get up off the floor, even though I know I am fine. They cut my pant leg off to make sure that no bones are hanging out. For all these guys knew my pant leg may have been the only thing holding me together.

Went to the hospital, more radiation, no breaks, but I had to walk around with my pant leg split up the side.

meetthecreeper
02-01-2005, 06:21 PM
One more car story, if I did this on the ones that I have seen, I could do this all nite.

Actually its a truck story.

See those big ass tractor trailers on the highway? They are all stick shift trans. and have huge clutches between the engines and the trans.

To replace on of these clutches the trans had to come out.

When you work on class 8 trucks, you generally work with someone else cos' the shit is pretty heavy and big.

Myself and this other guy, lets call him Roy, are clutching a Volvo truck. Not a big deal, been there done that.

We get the trans unbolted and moved away from the engine, and of course we are laying on our backs under this truck, so its loads of fun.

Truck trans weigh ballpark 800 lbs. kinda heavy, especially when Roy lowers the jack with the trans on it onto your arm.

*Calm voice* Creeper says, "Roy" Roy replies, "Yea Creeper"

*not so calm voice* Creeper says "Get this muthafukin trans off my fukin arm!!!!!"

Trans goes up Creeper slides out from under truck, takes off work coat. Examines arm, some indentation, no damage seems to work OK. I think I can still jerk off, tests, yep still can lucky me. Creeper takes the rest of the day off fuck you very much.

friday13thfan
02-01-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by meetthecreeper
One more car story, if I did this on the ones that I have seen, I could do this all nite.

Actually its a truck story.

See those big ass tractor trailers on the highway? They are all stick shift trans. and have huge clutches between the engines and the trans.

To replace on of these clutches the trans had to come out.

When you work on class 8 trucks, you generally work with someone else cos' the shit is pretty heavy and big.

Myself and this other guy, lets call him Roy, are clutching a Volvo truck. Not a big deal, been there done that.

We get the trans unbolted and moved away from the engine, and of course we are laying on our backs under this truck, so its loads of fun.

Truck trans weigh ballpark 800 lbs. kinda heavy, especially when Roy lowers the jack with the trans on it onto your arm.

*Calm voice* Creeper says, "Roy" Roy replies, "Yea Creeper"

*not so calm voice* Creeper says "Get this muthafukin trans off my fukin arm!!!!!"

Trans goes up Creeper slides out from under truck, takes off work coat. Examines arm, some indentation, no damage seems to work OK. I think I can still jerk off, tests, yep still can lucky me. Creeper takes the rest of the day off fuck you very much.

lol maade me laugh... good thing it came down slowly.. would have been bad if it just came smashing down into you real fast

meetthecreeper
02-01-2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by friday13thfan
lol maade me laugh... good thing it came down slowly.. would have been bad if it just came smashing down into you real fast

Yea no shit if it came down fast, I would have to change my name to slot machine. LOL

Marroe
02-01-2005, 07:08 PM
Vod and creeper..........get new fucking occupations!!!!

I fell down a flight of steps and thought for sure I was broken in half. Turns out I just bruised the fuck outa back and my bone. I still have pain there soemtimes, I hear bruised bones almost never heal completly. I missed the last month of school that year(I was only 15 at the time) Because I couldn't stand up. I was bed ridden on my tummy that entire time which didn't help my back any more. I figure I'll be walking all hunched over by the time I'm 40.

I have another story but it's a little gory to me....come to think of it, this fucked my back up too. The guys may not want to read this.

I was about 10 years old or so, and I was at church. It was like January or something so there was ice on the sidewalks. My church was 2 buldings connected together. In the back there was a porch on one of the buildings, not connected to the other building. There was like 6 inches of space between the porch and the other building. My freind and I were going to use that back door, I slipped on the ice and one of my legs went into that space. Basically, I racked myslef. My friend started screaming for someone to come help while she pulled me up........I felt like I was peeing my pants when I got up, I looked down and there was blood pouring out of me. The fall actually busted my hymen (popped my cherry for those of you who don't know what a hymen is), and again from this fall I couldn't walk for a few days, I twisted in such a weird way that I hurt my lower back and my hips.

Vodstok
02-02-2005, 03:40 AM
I think God or whoever was trying to tell me something, i stopped working in the woodshop over 3 years ago ;)

I am a programmer and webmaster these days. No danger there :)

Creeper, I know the pain of novacaine in the thumb. When i was in 9th grade, we were standing around in gym class waiting for the coach to finish chewing out a girl for swearing. We were also waiting for him to blow the whistle so we could start lifting weights.

Is anyone familiar with the thing on an Atlas machine for doing curls? it has the plates set up on 2 poles, and collars around the poles to keep them in place. I had my hand on one of the poles, because no one was supposed to be fucking lifting yet! Then, the dumb fuck standing next to me pulled up on the handle. The weights came up, and my thumb got pinched in between the collar and pole.

I yelled "SHIT! Put the fucking weight down!" he dropped it and stood back, and this poor girl looked at me and said "Werent you listening?", referrring to the coach yelling at someone else for swearing. I held up my hand and showed her. there was a 2 inch tear on my right thumb, it was completely gaping open and purple blood was welling up in it.

I didnt say a word to anyone, i just walked out and headed to the nurse's office as fast as i could.

When i got there, she asked what happened, and when i took my hand off my thumb to show her, enough blood hit the ground to make an audible splash. I turned sheet white and immediately went into shock (the only time ever. boy did it suck....)

At any rate, i eventually got taken to the hospital. when they got prepared to clean it (here is where i feel for you creeper...) i got 3 injections in my thumb:
one in the meat in the back, one directly into the joint where it meets the hand, and one right through the tendon on the inside of the thumb.

I never made a sound, but my knuckles on my left hand turned white i was gripping the bar on the bed so hard. I got to watch as the doctor cleaned it with saline solution. he was able to fit an inch past the head of the swab inside my damn thumb.

Later, i was given a tetanus shot in my arm, but they didnt wait for it to thaw, so i had a fucking marble-sized bump on my arm when they were done of jelled shot waiting to melt and get absorbed.

The upside was that my parent stook me out to lunch when the whole thing was done. I was still in my crappy, used for 3 days unwashed gym clothes.

meetthecreeper
02-02-2005, 05:56 AM
Wow man that sucks, its amazing how fragile your body is, and then how your body manages to deal with that kind of pain.

I dont wish shots in the thumb on anyone, that is pain.

I remember soaking my hand in this iodine solution and looking at how the meat on my thumb looked, it was pretty bad, but for some reason it didnt really bother me.

And as for changing careers, cant its in the blood and I have tried to walk away but keep coming back to it.