PDA

View Full Version : Curse Of The Demon

phantomstranger
01-31-2005, 12:28 PM
Made in 1957, this British made film is a great horror classic. The story is about a Psychic Investigator (Played by Dana Andrews) looking into a Devil cult and finds himself confronted by the supernatural. Very atmospheric, good acting and very little in the special effects dept. A perfect movie for a dark and stormy night.

filmmaker2
01-31-2005, 12:51 PM
Great movie! one of my all-time favorites, recommended.

You have great taste--mainly because it's similar to mine. Just kidding!

Gojira
01-31-2005, 08:16 PM
Curse of the Demon 1958 a.k.a. Night of the Demon Produced by Hal E Chester. Chester insisted on showing the materialized Demon.

Nyarlathotep
03-29-2006, 10:14 AM
let's bump an olde favourite.

based on the short story casting the runes by m.r. james, night of the demon (the shorter american version was renamed curse of the demon) is a true classic, directed by jacques tourneur (the man responsible for the best of the val lewton's series) and starring dana andrews as the sceptical professor trying to expose a devil worship cult as a fraud.

and if it's good enough for rocky horror :p

Dana Andrews said prunes
gave him the runes
and passing them used lots of skills

VampiricClown
03-29-2006, 11:27 AM
I liked this movie. My mom was scared of this movie as a child. lol

hollywoodgothiq
04-03-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Gojira
Produced by Hal E Chester. Chester insisted on showing the materialized Demon.

I've always been dubious of this assertion, even though director Jacques Tourneur made it himself.

Judging by the look of the film itself, it seems that it was always intended to show the long-shots of the demon -- it seems very well integrated into the film.

What looks as if it was added at the last minute were the three terrible closeups of the demon puppet head drooling at the camera. That footage I believe was forced on Tourneur by Chester.