PDA

View Full Version : Un Chien Andalou

ClassicHorror
01-23-2005, 03:47 PM
This would be on my top 5 favorite silent films, its also my 17th favorite horror film. Its also my favorite surrealistic film. Its quite amazing how Luis Bunnuel would actually have the eye of the cow being split open by a razor (its real), its amazing how he put all those dead donkey's (its real) in that piano and had someone pull it, its amazing how all those ants crawled out of that mans hands. Its just amazing WARNING: For those of you who havn't seen it, be warned its quite shocking.

http://www.univ-perp.fr/scms/bu/diverses-activites/images/salle%20de%20projection/un%20chien%20andalou.jpg

majorbludd
01-23-2005, 07:19 PM
i saw the eye scene in a film class once....i'll never own a straight razor, thank you.

EXTR3MIST
01-24-2005, 02:22 PM
its also my 17th favorite horror film

Holy shit!

What's your 29th?

The STE
01-24-2005, 07:28 PM
In what way is Un Chien Andalou a horror movie?

knife_fight
01-24-2005, 08:03 PM
the first time it was shown it supposedly caused riots in the streets of Paris for days. and you forgot to mention one of the most important points of the movie: that the imagery was planned more by Salvador Dali than Buñuel. Most people (meaning all the college kids out there with Dali posters on their dorm wall) never even realize that Dali was ever involved in film.

but I also don't really see how it's a horror film. horrific/frightening images do not necessarily constitute a horror movie.

EXTR3MIST
01-25-2005, 01:34 PM
Uh-oh!

The horror-definers are out!

ClassicHorror
01-25-2005, 02:30 PM
An element of fear does constitute a horror film, and this film does have one.

I have this on DVD and I watch it all the time. Watch it closely and you'll see that its a horror film, a horror film consists of so many things, an abnormal atmosphere, and quite a few other things....by the way Slavador Dali is my favorite painter. Salvador Dali wrote this, Luis Bunnuel directed it.

ClassicHorror
01-25-2005, 02:32 PM
Surrealistic films go into many genres...;)

filmmaker2
01-25-2005, 02:37 PM
The razor/eyeball/cloud/moon scene is pretty much one of the nastiest scenes I've ever beheld...it's a horror movie in itself...

ClassicHorror
01-25-2005, 02:50 PM
In Cannibal Holocaust they skin a live muskrat (and it is real).

UN Chien Abndalou scene with eye is actually the ye of a live cow, pretty interesting eh?

Here is the scene for your pleasure:

http://sarahbyte.f2s.com/uca.gif

majorbludd
01-25-2005, 06:46 PM
thanks for that.

knife_fight
01-25-2005, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by ClassicHorror
An element of fear does constitute a horror film, and this film does have one.

by that rationale, anything that is filmed and produces fear is a horror movie. so... the Bush inauguration is a horror movie? (that's a joke... well, kinda) Surrealistic films go into many genres... such as surrealism.

I never really questioned your loyalty to His Royal Highness S. Dali, I was merely pointing out that many people, on seeing that he was involved in film, are surprised, that's all. and I said that he (His Royal-ness) had more to do with how things played out than Luis... or at least just as much.

and also, don't you think that the power of the scene is lost just a bit when it's posted into a message board to be replayed over and over out of context? I'm not trying to get punchy with ya, I'm honestly asking if you feel that way.

Regardless, in it's short time span (what is it? like 30 minutes?) it gets across more than most movies do in 2 hours. It's amazing, to say the least, and that's probably something we can both agree on.

urgeok
01-26-2005, 05:01 AM
i would call this film a surreal flick with horror elements ..its the closest representation of a nightmare that I've ever seen captured on film.

ClassicHorror
01-28-2005, 02:53 PM
Believe it or not that thing I posted cuts about 2 or 3 seconds of the eye being sliced, so nothings really that spoiled. :cool:

Also it is like a nightmare.