PDA

View Full Version : The Hunchback of Norte Dam

Gojira
01-23-2005, 05:53 AM
This is one of my fave movies The Hunchback of Norte Dam 1923 with Lon Chaney. Another Hunchback of norte Dam movie was made again in 1939 staring Laughton as the Hunchback Quasimodo. The very first movie about Victor Hugos book in 1831 The Hunchback of norte Dam was made back in 1906 called Esmeralda and directed by Alice Guy. The Hunchback in 1909 and the Hunchback in 1910 and The Love of a Hunchback 1910 and Norte Dam de Paris 1911 was filmed in 3 parts Quasimodo was played by Henri Krauss Stacia Napierkowaka was Esmeralda. On a side note Lon Chaney Jr tried out for the Hunchback of Norte Dam in 1939 but did not get the part.

ClassicHorror
01-23-2005, 10:00 AM
Its "The Hunchback of Notre DamE"

I love this film this would be on my top 8 fav silent horror films. When you think Lon Chaney this performance is the first that comes into your head. That makeup is so distinguised when looked at. The cheek bones, and eyes are the most memorable.

Gojira
01-23-2005, 02:18 PM
I agree 100% Chaneys acting as Quasimodo was not notch in the 1923 classic. Like Frankenstien 1931 and Dracula 1931 This Hunchback of Norte Dam'e movie in 1923 is often mistaken as being the original when its a remake. I think thats a complement to the film and film maker.

ClassicHorror
01-23-2005, 02:22 PM
Its NotRe Dame. The "r" after the "t". lol.

I prefer Chaney's Phantom performance, but this is one of the greatest horror films of all time.

Gojira
01-23-2005, 03:00 PM
LOL oops bad spelling

ClassicHorror
01-23-2005, 03:52 PM
This is also one of the most entertaining silent films.

Tat2
01-23-2005, 05:49 PM
Lon Chaney Sr's Hunchback is, without the best (as is his Phantom of the Opera). Lon chaney suffered alot of pain in his movies due to the special effects. He wore a leather harness that forced him to remain hunched over - he couldn't stand up if he had to. The rubber suit (along with the harness) that he wore in "Hunchback" weighed 70 lbs. The teeth that he used were so painful to wear, he could only keep them in for short periods of time.

On a side note: He used wire hoops under his eye lids to make his eyes bulge out for "Phantom".

Can you imagine todays actors going through that sort of pain just for the makeup and effects?

Gojira
01-23-2005, 11:09 PM
Hi tat I was thinking of pointing out the pain Chaney must have endured while making this movie. But I opted not to also Chaney I think used a hard boiled egg for an eye when he played Quasimodo. Other actors who endured pain and long hours in the make up chair were Boris Karloff when he was the Frankenstien monster. Harou Nakajima said he sweated buckets when he was in the Godzilla suit. They could only film Nakajima 5 minutes at a time the suit was so hot inside and it weighed close to 200 lbs. The thing about Chaney was that he was a perfectionest and he always deliverd.

AUSTIN316426808
02-02-2005, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by Gojira
This is one of my fave movies The Hunchback of Norte Dam 1923 with Lon Chaney. Another Hunchback of norte Dam movie was made again in 1939 staring Laughton as the Hunchback Quasimodo. The very first movie about Victor Hugos book in 1831 The Hunchback of norte Dam was made back in 1906 called Esmeralda and directed by Alice Guy. The Hunchback in 1909 and the Hunchback in 1910 and The Love of a Hunchback 1910 and Norte Dam de Paris 1911 was filmed in 3 parts Quasimodo was played by Henri Krauss Stacia Napierkowaka was Esmeralda. On a side note Lon Chaney Jr tried out for the Hunchback of Norte Dam in 1939 but did not get the part.

you don't get out much do you? LOL:D

AUSTIN316426808
02-02-2005, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Tat2
Lon Chaney Sr's Hunchback is, without the best (as is his Phantom of the Opera). Lon chaney suffered alot of pain in his movies due to the special effects. He wore a leather harness that forced him to remain hunched over - he couldn't stand up if he had to. The rubber suit (along with the harness) that he wore in "Hunchback" weighed 70 lbs. The teeth that he used were so painful to wear, he could only keep them in for short periods of time.

On a side note: He used wire hoops under his eye lids to make his eyes bulge out for "Phantom".

Can you imagine todays actors going through that sort of pain just for the makeup and effects?

You can't really say if they would or wouldn't but one thing some of them do go through is martial arts/boxing training,(sometimes unhealthy)weight gain/lose.

I think it depends on the actor's passion, speaking of passion Jim Caveizel went through alot during the production of The Passion of the Christ.

AUSTIN316426808
02-02-2005, 01:48 AM
The Hunchback of Notre Dame isn't horror right?

this isn't sarcastic, the only version I've ever seen is the Disney animated one that I was forced to sit through about 50 times with my nephew.

ClassicHorror
02-02-2005, 04:18 AM
its horror, this is the lon chaney version.

Gojira
02-02-2005, 06:19 AM
Hi Austin try renting the 1923 Chaney version of the Hunchback of Norte Dame. When I saw it my impression was that the politions were trying to stop progress of the printing press they feared that if people could read then they might be less powerful. The movie is also about a sad individual who was dropped off at the church and raised by Priests and hewas deformed he was named Quasimodo. Quasi was a nice person who was given the job of ringing the bell. People were mean to the Hunchback because he was ugly. It was a Gypsy woman who took a liking to the Hunchback and treated him like a regular person who saw what Quai was like. The horror in the movie is that of the people not the hunchback. Quasi is the heroe in the movie. But no doubt this is a very good movie. If I were you I would stay away from Disney annimated movies.

AUSTIN316426808
02-02-2005, 06:27 AM
Hi Austin try renting the 1923 Chaney version of the Hunchback of Norte Dame. When I saw it my impression was that the politions were trying to stop progress of the printing press they feared that if people could read then they might be less powerful. The movie is also about a sad individual who was dropped off at the church and raised by Priests and hewas deformed he was named Quasimodo. Quasi was a nice person who was given the job of ringing the bell. People were mean to the Hunchback because he was ugly. It was a Gypsy woman who took a liking to the Hunchback and treated him like a regular person who saw what Quai was like. The horror in the movie is that of the people not the hunchback. Quasi is the heroe in the movie. But no doubt this is a very good movie. If I were you I would stay away from Disney annimated movies.

I know what it's about I just wasn't sure it was a horror film.

I like Disney films, what problem do you have with 'em?

Gojira
02-02-2005, 06:37 AM
Well Austin Disney is ok if your 5 years old or 10 even but once your 12 I think most outgrow disney or rated G movies and start watching PG then R raed movies. The only movie I really liked that Disney made and I still do is 20.000 Leagues Under the Sea with James Mason and Kurt Douglas. Then again I started watching horror movies when I was 5 in1966. The idea of Disney making an annimated version of the Hunchback of norte Dame really irks me.Next thing you know Disney will try to make an annimated Dracula kid friendly movie AHHHH that would suck.

urgeok
02-02-2005, 07:38 AM
Well Austin Disney is ok if your 5 years old or 10 even but once your 12 I think most outgrow disney or rated G movies and start watching PG then R raed movies. The only movie I really liked that Disney made and I still do is 20.000 Leagues Under the Sea with James Mason and Kurt Douglas. Then again I started watching horror movies when I was 5 in1966. The idea of Disney making an annimated version of the Hunchback of norte Dame really irks me.Next thing you know Disney will try to make an annimated Dracula kid friendly movie AHHHH that would suck.

notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre notre

Gojira
02-02-2005, 08:56 AM
LOL LOL LOL Ok you got me my mistake LOL Hunhc back of Notre Dame the Hnuchback of notre Dame the Backhoe of Notre Dame Well at least I can spell Gadzilla hmm Godzoola Gidget oh oh I know The Humpback of Notre Dame he was horny you know him and Esmeralda always humping. Btw whats this stuff I am drinking?

AUSTIN316426808
02-02-2005, 12:18 PM
I don't think they'll make a animated Dracula.

As far as what you said about out growing Disney animated films I think it depends on the individual and their interest. I like Aladdin and The Lion King and a few other Disney films but the thing is you were 5 in 1966, these are films that I watched growing up in the late 80s and 90s and still like to watch every now and then you on the other hand were in your late 20s and 30s when these films started being released so I wouldn't ecspect you to have wanted to see them or really be able to enjoy them. 10,15 or 20 years down the road I don't ecspect to run out and see any animated Disney films unless I have a kid.

taylorsmommy
02-02-2005, 12:28 PM
I'm 45 and I still like watching some Disney animated movies. My favorite is The Lion King followed by Beauty and the Beast.

urgeok
02-02-2005, 02:37 PM
i have to admit i'm no fan of Disney since ... the origional classics i guess (snow white, bambi.. etc) with one huge exception ... Monsters Inc. which i think is brilliant .. the best kids movie ever.

EXTR3MIST
02-08-2005, 12:48 PM
This thread's giving me the hump.

urgeok
02-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by EXTR3MIST
This thread's giving me the hump.

you're lucky - it usually takes a lot more to get me that excited

knife_fight
02-08-2005, 01:07 PM
the main thing I don't like about recent Disney animated films, is that they are so homogenized. I mean, they all look exactly the same, whereas in the classics (like the Rescuers, Sleeping Beauty, 101 Dalmations, etc.) the animation style was made to be appropriate and really complimented the film and its atmosphere and tone. Many of the old Disney classics were drawn and animated by real artists, not computer programmers.

Where the old movies had both style and substance, the new Disney animated flicks lack both and are just a transparent attempt to pick the pockets of American pop culture.

urgeok
02-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by knife_fight
the main thing I don't like about recent Disney animated films, is that they are so homogenized. I mean, they all look exactly the same, whereas in the classics (like the Rescuers, Sleeping Beauty, 101 Dalmations, etc.) the animation style was made to be appropriate and really complimented the film and its atmosphere and tone. Many of the old Disney classics were drawn and animated by real artists, not computer programmers.

Where the old movies had both style and substance, the new Disney animated flicks lack both and are just a transparent attempt to pick the pockets of American pop culture.

i agree .. to an extent ... there have been a couple of exceptions.
Bu this disgusting trend of releasing grossly inferior straight to video sequels to famous releases is unbelievable ..

I love the really old Disney .. Snow White being the Jewel in the crown .. and i like the look of Pixar ... but i dont care for much in between ... I hate the Don Bluth era (although it was popular)
and i cant stand the little mermaid/tarzan/lion king style either.

its not just the look of the film .. its the content ..
A parent or sibling always has to die .. there has to be this sense of loss that ensures the emotional buy in of the children watching.... like they cant come up with a more imaginitive way to involve the children.
This is why i always praise Monsters Inc .. it didnt have that same hook .. it was very clever and inventive. In general the Pixar films are still quality .. the one thing carrying Disney ... and now they are leaving ...

knife_fight
02-08-2005, 01:54 PM
yeah, I liked Monsters, Inc. I wasn't putting down Pixar by referring to computer programmers, I was mainly thinking of ones like Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin.

I also don't like the Don Bluth era.

But with the content, that's kinda what I was saying also. That there isn't any imaginative content. One thing I really like about old Disney cartoons is that the plot is REALLY basic, or has no real point at all (this mainly pertains to the shorts). But nowadays they try and cram some bullshit message into it, like the "circle of life" or the duplicated message of "beauty and the beast" and, ironically, "the hunchback of notre dame." Like in Snow White, here's the plot: Obviously Bad Character screws over Obviously Good Character, Good Guys win! I like that. None of the over-the-top sentimentality crap. I admit, Bambi was good, but it was well-animated and also was the first time the parent-dying plot device was used in a Disney film as the real emotional "hook."

urgeok
02-08-2005, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by knife_fight
yeah, I liked Monsters, Inc. I wasn't putting down Pixar by referring to computer programmers, I was mainly thinking of ones like Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin.

I also don't like the Don Bluth era.

But with the content, that's kinda what I was saying also. That there isn't any imaginative content. One thing I really like about old Disney cartoons is that the plot is REALLY basic, or has no real point at all (this mainly pertains to the shorts). But nowadays they try and cram some bullshit message into it, like the "circle of life" or the duplicated message of "beauty and the beast" and, ironically, "the hunchback of notre dame." Like in Snow White, here's the plot: Obviously Bad Character screws over Obviously Good Character, Good Guys win! I like that. None of the over-the-top sentimentality crap. I admit, Bambi was good, but it was well-animated and also was the first time the parent-dying plot device was used in a Disney film as the real emotional "hook."

even snow white to some extent .. she's got no father or mother, her step mother wants to off her...
pretty alienated.

every kids greatest fear .... to be alone