PDA

View Full Version : Donnie Darko

Chainsaw Guy
01-16-2005, 08:51 AM
Last night i saw the cinematic masterpiece that is Donnie Darko very good acting awsome story and now i have dreams about the rabbit

ShankS
01-16-2005, 08:57 AM
good film ....good film

I must watch this one again sometime. The sound track, If I remember correctly is pretty good aswell, it adds to the erieness of the film.

Lady Discordia
01-17-2005, 01:35 PM
Yup, excellent movie! After viewing it a couple of times, I have to admit that I still don't understand it completely, but it's a great movie nonetheless.

I've been meaning to watch this again, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll have to do that one night this week :D. Thanks for the reminder, LOL.

And I agree with ShankS about the soundtrack. The music was perfect for this film!

Lady Discordia

Vodstok
01-18-2005, 04:25 AM
I wanted tol beat the fucking gym teacher with a bat...

And i like Patrick Swayze, but his character sucked. He PLAYED him well, very well. Fucking pervert.

In summation, i really like it.

IDrinkYourBlood
01-18-2005, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Chainsaw Guy
Last night i saw the cinematic masterpiece that is Donnie Darko very good acting awsome story and now i have dreams about the rabbit fuck you, FUCK YOU.

slasherman
01-18-2005, 11:49 AM
This movie is ok but is way overrated by many....its seems like its "cool" to give this movie good ratings....

"SPOILER"
I dont like to be framed...its starts out like a horror flick and ends up like a quasi mystery.....and i dont like the gay music ...:)

TheOmen
01-18-2005, 11:53 AM
No offense, but Donnie Darko is not a cinematic masterpiece. Anyone who thinks so is either 11 years old, or hasn't seen any of the dozens of movies from which Darko steals from.

Yup, excellent movie! After viewing it a couple of times, I have to admit that I still don't understand it completely, but it's a great movie nonetheless.

It is absolutely impossible to understand completely. There are two fatal flaws towards the end of the movie that make the suggested climax ridiculous.

All that being said, it's an okay, but overrated movie.

And I do like the music...I am a child of the 80's after all.

IDrinkYourBlood
01-18-2005, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by TheOmen
No offense, but Donnie Darko is not a cinematic masterpiece. Anyone who thinks so is either 11 years old, or hasn't seen any of the dozens of movies from which Darko steals from.
exactly

Ghost
01-18-2005, 02:54 PM
***SPOILER***

Anyone who understands the ending is lieing I'm pretty sure because by no means does it make perfect sense. It isn't one of those movies like sixth sense or fight club or SAW where the twist where you think WOW that's cool and yeh that is possible.

Donnie Darko hits a lot of different theories & when I suddenly thought hey, its about time travel and that we live on a continual loop I was bamboozled by the ending where Gretchin doesn't know him yet feels a connection to the mother of Donnie who she never even met.

Saying that, the actor playing Donie, is a fantastic actor

tachii
01-19-2005, 09:22 AM
liked this movie, still haven't figured it out though but don't care
also liked dark city, anyone remember that one?

TheOmen
01-19-2005, 11:11 AM
Dark City is awesome.

slasherman
01-19-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by TheOmen
Dark City is awesome.
agree :D

Nemesis412
01-19-2005, 11:56 AM
Last night i saw the cinematic masterpiece that is Donnie Darko very good acting awsome story and now i have dreams about the rabbit

I agree. My brother told me about it and I was like it looks dumb. It's sweet and I totally loved it. I wanna get it on dvd whenever I can get some money.

tachii
01-21-2005, 08:57 AM

what is the deal with rabits, they usually stick dopey suff like that in movies lately. i think they also had one in cabin fever and i don't remember which other one.

tachii
01-21-2005, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by slasherman
agree :D

i love that movie, there have also been a few others along the lines of it but just can't remember right now, help?

urgeok
01-21-2005, 09:01 AM
dark city borrowed a lot of its 'fashion sense' from Hellraiser.
The forgotten had a bit of the theme .. robbing people of their memories ..

i guess more than anything it was a lot like 50 First Dates !! hahahahah :)

tachii
01-21-2005, 09:09 AM
costumes did look hellraiserish, but its a great look and it works

i know there were a few other films with a similar look and feel, but right now all i can recall is the crow

urgeok
01-21-2005, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by tachii

i know there were a few other films with a similar look and feel, but right now all i can recall is the crow

thats true ... both had similar dark claustrophobic sets

Vodstok
01-21-2005, 09:42 AM
Mr hand is one of my favorite villains.... Richard O'Brien is just so fucking creepy with that voice.....

and he just talked weird....

"Sleep..."
*Confused look*
"Sleep...Now...."
*Angry look. pulls knife*

tachii
01-21-2005, 09:50 AM
i thought it was sexy sounding

he he he

urgeok
01-21-2005, 10:08 AM
especially when he broke into 'time warp' !

keifer sutherland dancin around, waving his hands in the air ...

slasherman
01-21-2005, 10:26 AM
i love that movie, there have also been a few others along the lines of it but just can't remember right now, help?
Cant say i remember any "Dark City" clones.....Have to be the Matrix, Memento and Butterfly Effect...or maybe Bladerunner...

Michaels Shape
01-21-2005, 10:31 AM
I havnt seen Donnie Darko.

Nemesis412
01-21-2005, 10:32 AM
Instead of Bladerunner being a clone, Maybe dark city is the clone hmmmmmmm

slasherman
01-21-2005, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Nemesis412
Instead of Bladerunner being a clone, Maybe dark city is the clone hmmmmmmm
Not only maybe :)

bitch_of_d_west
01-21-2005, 11:47 AM
Yes i agree the film was strnge but i didnt mind it.... i was a bit confused but i understoof how he had to die to save the rest.... the monkey was a bit ytoo much though

Vodstok
01-21-2005, 11:52 AM

i know there were a few other films with a similar look and feel, but right now all i can recall is the crow There is a very good reason why the crow and dark city have similar feels....

Alex Proyas Directed both.

bitch_of_d_west
01-21-2005, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Vodstok
There is a very good reason why the crow and dark city have similar feels....

Alex Proyas Directed both.

Didnt he do I ROBOT aswell??

Vodstok
01-21-2005, 11:55 AM
Yep.

knife_fight
01-22-2005, 12:06 AM
I'm glad there's people on this site now who think Donnie Darko is overrated. this same thread appeared about a year ago, and I think I almost got banned for saying that I thought Donnie Darko wasn't as great as everyone says it was.

urgeok
01-22-2005, 04:26 AM
personally i dont know if I'd consider Darko overrated .. it did strive to be different in a time when most american film aimed at young adults is mainstream romantic comedies ... so i think it gets kudos for origionality at least.

I thought it was somewhat convoluted .. like a lot of non linear films are ..

It had some cool imagry and it dared to think about the movie once it was over which is almost unheard of for films aimed at that demographic.

Not everyone has to love it but i think it should be admired for trying to do something different.

I dont know why but i began to see Napoleon Dynamite as the flip side of this film .. they both seem to exist in the same universe ...

Nemesis412
01-22-2005, 07:35 AM
hahaha whys that urgeok, bc they are different from alot of films?

urgeok
01-22-2005, 09:05 AM
they are both aimed at the same age group ... both guys are out of it .. both are in some kind of time warp (darko by a plot device - dynamite by a choice of artistic style)
Both take place at school for a good part of the movie.
Time travel is a common theme to them
One ends up a hero, the other ends up with an airplane in his room ...

Its not so much the parallels as the 'feel'

They somehow seemed related ... maybe they arent ...maybe just in my head.

Nemesis412
01-22-2005, 09:23 AM
Yeah I kinda got ya urgeok lol.

Happy 4000th

knife_fight
01-22-2005, 02:13 PM
I can see your points, but it's funny: I thought Napolean Dynamite was overrated too.

The_Return
01-22-2005, 02:23 PM
I desperatly need to see this movie. Ive been meaning to rent it for a long time [Either it isnt rated R or they have the wrong sticker on it at Blockbuster]

Michaels Shape
01-22-2005, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by The_Return
I desperatly need to see this movie. Ive been meaning to rent it for a long time

Same here.

tachii
01-24-2005, 09:45 AM
yup

tachii
01-24-2005, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by slasherman
Cant say i remember any "Dark City" clones.....Have to be the Matrix, Memento and Butterfly Effect...or maybe Bladerunner...

i could have sworn there were others; i just can't remember them right now and its driving me fucking insane!

The_Return
01-24-2005, 10:25 AM
i could have sworn there were others; i just can't remember them right now and its driving me fucking insane!

Short Trip....:p

tachii
01-24-2005, 10:40 AM
can't remember, but i know i saw them

tachii
01-26-2005, 09:17 AM
even notice how this dude kinda looks like mr. hand

slasherman
01-27-2005, 01:44 AM
sorry not me either...maybe you mean some asian movies ?

mothermold
01-27-2005, 02:17 AM

...i have dreams about jake's sister.:rolleyes: