PDA

View Full Version : DVD's

movieman64
01-07-2005, 05:30 AM
I was waiting on a friend and saw an "all DVD" rental store. I know BB primarily stocks DVD's but do you really think an all DVD store would work?

The guy working told me business was good, and every-once-in-awhile they got somebody in complaining about there being no VHS tapes.

Personally I think it will be a very long time before we see the end of the VHS.

newb
01-07-2005, 05:45 AM
I don't think it will be that long before video rental stores are DVD exclusive. My local store's VHS section is getting smaller and smaller every day.

Personally....I've become quite the DVD snob. I would never watch a VHS anymore.

urgeok
01-07-2005, 05:47 AM
DVD players are the fastest growing technology of all time.
some people will retain their vhs macbines so they can tape their shitty tv shows and watch them later but the rentals will dissapear within 2 - 3 years tops.

ShankS
01-07-2005, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by movieman64
I was waiting on a friend and saw an "all DVD" rental store. I know BB primarily stocks DVD's but do you really think an all DVD store would work?

The guy working told me business was good, and every-once-in-awhile they got somebody in complaining about there being no VHS tapes.

Personally I think it will be a very long time before we see the end of the VHS.

they'll get phased out eventually, by the bigger chains. DVD players are soo cheap now, I've seen them on sale for 20.

A couple of major Electrical Stores in the Uk annonced a few months ago, that they would no longer be selling VHS players anymore. People are moving on to DVD and you can get DVD recorders much cheaper now, with massive hard drives built in.... the States must be heading this way as well.

movieman64
01-07-2005, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by ShankS
they'll get phased out eventually, by the bigger chains. DVD players are soo cheap now, I've seen them on sale for 20.

A couple of major Electrical Stores in the Uk annonced a few months ago, that they would no longer be selling VHS players anymore. People are moving on to DVD and you can get DVD recorders much cheaper now, with massive hard drives built in.... the States must be heading this way as well.

I have a DVR for my satellite reciever and it's great!

jay o2 waster
01-07-2005, 12:00 PM
i am the main dvd rental source for most of my friends

The_Return
01-07-2005, 12:39 PM
My familly is planning on getting a DVD/VHS combo unit withing the bext few months, those are the perfect solution! I have some awesome VHS tapes, so they wouldnt be obsolete, plus we could watch DVD's [Which are, not questiuon, much better]

Sedated_replica
01-07-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by urgeok
DVD players are the fastest growing technology of all time.
some people will retain their vhs macbines so they can tape their shitty tv shows and watch them later but the rentals will dissapear within 2 - 3 years tops.

Hey, I still tape tv shows. But I rarely watch them. vhs is gonna be around forever just like records.

pythagoraz
01-07-2005, 08:39 PM
nah... Whs is going down... people will record TV shows and stuff onto Rewriteable Dvds or onto harddiscs... like some of us do already... no need for those unhandy and big cassettes...

Tat2
01-07-2005, 08:52 PM
I only buy DVD's now, but if I see a movie on VHS but not DVD and I have looked for it for a while, I'll get it...just in case.

We all know about the quality and extras of DVDs, but my growing concern is space. I have over 700 titles and it is a bit troublesome to find a safe area to secure them in (away from the destructive touch of children). DVDs are much easier than VHS to store safely. I am considering placing my DVDs in "Books" or carriers so they could be easier to store or grab in the event of a fire or something. Any idea what a bitch, not to mention the expense, that it would be to replace 700 movies! :eek:

Sedated_replica
01-07-2005, 09:16 PM
Whs is going down..........

orangestar
01-07-2005, 09:29 PM
I actually like to buy VHS a lot more because they are so cheap, and the selection at the stores around here is pretty good for VHS.

DVD's are always nice, but I only really like them better because of scene selection. Special Features dont add enough to the experience to pay twice as much for them...

The STE
01-08-2005, 12:17 PM
some stuff might never get a DVD release and is never shown on cable, so if it's on VHS, I still might buy it.

Perfect example: Lonely Are The Brave. I've been wanting to see it for a while, but it's not on DVD and is never on cable, but they have it on VHS at Amazon.com for really cheap.

Chainsaw Guy
01-08-2005, 12:19 PM
Well have you heard of these things called Laser discs? they're awsome

ShankS
01-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Chainsaw Guy
Well have you heard of these things called Laser discs? they're awsome

yeah, urgeok preaches about them at morning and afternoon service.

Marroe
01-08-2005, 12:45 PM
I have both a DVD player, and a VCR but I have been buying a lot more VHS's lately. You can find great movies on VHS now, brand new for like 3 bucks. But I only rent DVD's. better quality, same price.

The STE
01-08-2005, 12:51 PM
VHS usually isn't in widescreen

Marroe
01-08-2005, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by The STE
VHS usually isn't in widescreen I actually prefer full screen anyway. Yes, I am a freak.

Gren the cake
01-08-2005, 02:52 PM
who in the hell likes full screen. it cuts the sides off shiiiiit

The_Return
01-08-2005, 06:01 PM
I dont really care what format it is, I can watch it in my room either way [DVD-Rom on my comp, TV/VCR combo unit also:D ]

Angelakillsluts
01-08-2005, 07:52 PM
What exactly is a laser disc? I always thought laserdisc was another name for DVD. :(

I will never buy a VHS, if I buy a movie it has to be DVD. I don't buy too many movies though. It's not that I don't want too, it's just that I can't afford too. :p

Sedated_replica
01-08-2005, 08:06 PM
DVD's are already old news, They're going to use Blue-ray (I think thats the name) in a few more years. They hold more data and have better picture. PS3 will use Blue-ray disc's .

Sorry to all the people with thousand of dollars of DVD's..... suckers :p

urgeok
01-08-2005, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Angelakillsluts
What exactly is a laser disc? I always thought laserdisc was another name for DVD. :(

I will never buy a VHS, if I buy a movie it has to be DVD. I don't buy too many movies though. It's not that I don't want too, it's just that I can't afford too. :p

the laserdisc is the daddy to the DVD.
Both read by the same laser but laserdiscs are 12" - less compression. Techno junkies can tell you a lot more about why they are better ...

There are different formats that vary on the compression .. the best gave you 30 minutes a side .. kind of annoying for a 2hour movie ... 4 sides .. but the picture and sound are great.

and because the technology is dead you can get them fairly cheaply.

They were out for a lot of years but only caught on with movie entheusiasts because - you couldnt record on them ... and they were expensice .. averaging $50 - $60 US a title .. the Criterions were 2 or 3 X more.

Some had alternative audio tracks (commentaries) and often had special features on them. Sometimes cool extras were thrown into the box sets .. for example - my Hellraiser boxset has a script hand signed by Clive Barker.
My Phantasm boxset is hand signed and numbered (2000 only) by the director and star.

Some had books and other cool stuff ...

It was the choice medium for serious collectors.

and a bloody addiction !

sure they take up more room ... like record albums ...

newb
01-08-2005, 09:06 PM
the laserdisc is the daddy to the DVD.
Both read by the same laser but laserdiscs are 12" - less compression. Techno junkies can tell you a lot more about why they are better ...

There are different formats that vary on the compression .. the best gave you 30 minutes a side .. kind of annoying for a 2hour movie ... 4 sides .. but the picture and sound are great.

and because the technology is dead you can get them fairly cheaply.

They were out for a lot of years but only caught on with movie entheusiasts because - you couldnt record on them ... and they were expensice .. averaging $50 - $60 US a title .. the Criterions were 2 or 3 X more.

Some had alternative audio tracks (commentaries) and often had special features on them. Sometimes cool extras were thrown into the box sets .. for example - my Hellraiser boxset has a script hand signed by Clive Barker.
My Phantasm boxset is hand signed and numbered (2000 only) by the director and star.

Some had books and other cool stuff ...

It was the choice medium for serious collectors.

and a bloody addiction !

sure they take up more room ... like record albums ...

I actually have an old disk player...before laser disk...the videodiscs ones...the are like record albums in a plastic sleeve that you insert into the player...they skip like record albums as well. Kinda neat....in a retro kinda way.

urgeok
01-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by newb
I actually have an old disk player...before laser disk...the videodiscs ones...the are like record albums in a plastic sleeve that you insert into the player...they skip like record albums as well. Kinda neat....in a retro kinda way.

yeah, CEDs

I never had a player but i have one disc .. just to say that i have pre recorded movies on every possible format :)

newb
01-08-2005, 09:09 PM
yeah, CEDs

I never had a player but i have one disc .. just to say that i have pre recorded movies on every possible format :)

It is a sickness you have Urge.

urgeok
01-08-2005, 09:30 PM
It is a sickness you have Urge.

you have no clue ...

i never mentioned how many DVD/VHS/BETA/LASERDISC players i have .... you'd die.

newb
01-08-2005, 09:39 PM
Your a collector of all things movie related....nothing wrong with that. I envy you, as do many people here who have seen your gallery. You are home here.....we are all sick.....just don't have your disposable income.:D

urgeok
01-08-2005, 09:42 PM
Your a collector of all things movie related....nothing wrong with that. I envy you, as do many people here who have seen your gallery. You are home here.....we are all sick.....just don't have your disposable income.:D

as you can see, my income has been disposed of.
I will have no future to speak of - aside from watching movies on a dirty old chair in a trailer eating catfood out of the tin untill they turn of my electricity.

newb
01-08-2005, 09:49 PM
Didn't Jethro Tull already record a song about you.

http://www.j-tull.co.uk/Desktop/Aqualung.jpg

urgeok
01-08-2005, 09:50 PM
Didn't Jethro Tull already record a song about you.

http://www.j-tull.co.uk/Desktop/Aqualung.jpg

i dont eye little girls with bad intent ...

despite whatever you think ... i dont !

newb
01-08-2005, 09:52 PM
i dont eye little girls with bad intent ...

despite whatever you think ... i dont !

YEAH....RIGHT.....Tell it to the constable...perv.

movieman64
01-09-2005, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Sedated_replica
DVD's are already old news, They're going to use Blue-ray (I think thats the name) in a few more years. They hold more data and have better picture. PS3 will use Blue-ray disc's .

Sorry to all the people with thousand of dollars of DVD's..... suckers :p

Blue-ray discs were devoleped specifically for gamers, and HD graphics. They currently have discs compatiable with both Blue-ray and DVD. The best part is their capacity. Current BR discs hold around 25-30 GB(or thereabouts) and apprx 8.5 GB DVD. 8.5 GB DVD is the standard size of most movies. I even heard of a 50 GB Blue-ray /8.5 GB DVD disc. I beleive they are triple layer discs and home burner versions are not yet available. I don't even believe blank disks are even made outside of manufactures use.

I think it will be a long time before we see the demise of DVD media. With the advent of HDTV I think you'll start seeing a lot more movies on Blue-ray, and home players will start showing up. These players should also be able to read DVD's allbeit they won't be in Hi-Def.

Sedated_replica
01-09-2005, 03:05 PM
[German guy from SLC Punk]

"This is a laser disc, they're is a movie on there!"

urgeok
01-09-2005, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Sedated_replica
[German guy from SLC Punk]

"This is a laser disc, they're is a movie on there!"

THATS funny ! i just saw that last weekend and laughed at that part :)

pythagoraz
01-09-2005, 06:12 PM
THATS funny ! i just saw that last weekend and laughed at that part :) I don't get it! :confused: :eek:

tom-tom
01-10-2005, 01:58 AM
Personally, i still watch VHS, but i would perfer a DVD because of it superior quality and extra features that are avilable on most DVD's...