PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Question

Angelakillsluts
12-05-2004, 07:45 PM
Does anyone know how you would go about filming a darker film like The Shining?

I was just watching it again and noticing how much I liked how dark it was. Once they get in to the hotel there aren't any bright scenes at all.

I just wanted to know what kind of setup you'd use to light scenes that way.

MisterSadistro
12-06-2004, 03:05 AM
You can find some useful info here:
Lighting Tips, etc (http://www.scottspears.net/filmmakpg3.html)
Doh ! Tried to e-mail you Sophocles and forgot your e-mail won't accept attached files. Check your PM box.
CK

Angelakillsluts
12-06-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by MisterSadistro
You can find some useful info here:
Lighting Tips, etc (http://www.scottspears.net/filmmakpg3.html)
Doh ! Tried to e-mail you Sophocles and forgot your e-mail won't accept attached files. Check your PM box.
CK

That's odd, people attach files when they email me all the time. Maybe it has a problem with aol or something weird.

Thanks for the website, btw where do you buy those light stands?

orez
12-06-2004, 12:01 PM
That is a really great site. Definite good advice to be found on there.

urgeok
12-08-2004, 07:12 AM
i dont know if the dvd has it as well but my laserdisc of carpenters' Mouth of Madness has a commentary track with carpenter and the lighting guy from the film.

its well worth a listen and gives you an idea of how lighting is used in the scenes you are watching.

I love carpenters commentarys .. he approaches them like he was teaching film school.

MisterSadistro
12-08-2004, 07:33 AM
I love carpenters commentarys .. he approaches them like he was teaching film school.
I wish someone would teach Carpenter to say "no" when asked about remaking his films. :rolleyes:
CK

urgeok
12-08-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by MisterSadistro
I wish someone would teach Carpenter to say "no" when asked about remaking his films. :rolleyes:
CK

ah well, i dont have that big a problem with it.

of all the remakes going on the only one i thought was a crime was (of all things) Alfie.

As far as Carpenter goes .. Ghosts of Mars was a pointless piece of shit (remake of Assault on Precinct 13) but he can remake anything he likes in my opinion as long as he keeps doing commentaries..

you learn just as much from a bad film as you do a good film .. maybe more.

DraculaInDallas
12-08-2004, 11:28 PM
my best friend in high school went to film school and produced and directed a indie horror film many years ago. My brother and I were in it and the thing I remember most was waiting for what seemed like a eternity while the lighting guys and dp got the lighting right.....seemed like hours just to set up a 30 second scene........seems to me being a actor is the easiest part in films......sit on your ass in your trailer until its time to shoot a scene :(

MisterSadistro
12-08-2004, 11:39 PM
I have no idea what I was talking about here (or should I say the Jagermeister last night) so I edited it.
Yeah, a lot of filming seems to be standing around forever waiting for something to happen I've noticed even in the best circumstances. I drove a truck with a crane in it down near St. Louis and back (about 12 hours round trip), spent the weekend there, about 3-4 hours to assemble it and break it back down again for ONE shot in the film 'Pieces of A Dream'. My whole weekend for about 10 seconds in a film.
CK

Angelakillsluts
12-09-2004, 09:12 AM

(enable delete fuction plz)

MisterSadistro
12-09-2004, 09:32 AM
you learn just as much from a bad film as you do a good film .. maybe more.
LOL That is so true. Everything I learned to do as a boom operator came from 'Dolemite'. You see it hanging into almost every scene.
CK