PDA

View Full Version : Red Dragon VS Manhunter

urgeok
11-03-2004, 08:07 AM
First off - please forgive me if there has already been a post on this .. i skimmed back a bit but couldnt find it ..
Please feel free to close the thread if its there.

A lot of horror fans are new .. and may not realize that before Silence of the lambs, Hannibal, and Red Dragon .. there was another movie called Manhunter by Michael Mann ... which was recently remade as Red Dragon - based on the Thomas Harris novel of the same name.

Even if you are aware (it was probably mentioned when Red Dragon was released) you may not have have seen it ...

If not I highly recommend it .

Red Dragon was made just to complete the 'hannibal' trilogy with Hopkins and it was completely unnessessary.

I'd be interested in hearing anyone's opinions one way ot the other if you've seen it.

The_Return
11-03-2004, 01:33 PM
I need to see it!!!!

I originally wanted to see it before the more famous Trilogy....but Blockbuster here doesnt have it :(

But if it's supposedly so much better than Red Dragon, I cant wait! I loved Red Dragon!

I just cant picture Brian Cox as Hannibal....

urgeok
11-03-2004, 01:39 PM
once you see it, you wont be able to picture Hopkins ...
(i saw Manhunter first ... Cox is much more subdued and realistic)

The music in Manhunter is amazing too .. Mann really has a head for making the music as much a part of a film as any other aspect of it.

phantomstranger
11-03-2004, 02:22 PM
Manhunter was a very entertaining movie (I saw it when it was first released) But because I liked Anthony Hopkins better as Hannibal I'm going to have to vote for Red Dragon being better. But both films are worth having in your collection.

Jackie Brown
11-04-2004, 03:05 AM
IMO the fact alone that Hopkins and Norton are in Red Dragon make the remake much better.

meetthecreeper
11-07-2004, 06:15 AM
Manhunter is a much better flick, Red Dragon is the same film with Norton and Hopkins, as a matter of fact I think that they used the same script. If you have seen both films you know what I am talking about.

The toothfairy in manhunter was def. more frightening and more believable

urgeok
11-07-2004, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by meetthecreeper
Manhunter is a much better flick, Red Dragon is the same film with Norton and Hopkins, as a matter of fact I think that they used the same script. If you have seen both films you know what I am talking about.

The toothfairy in manhunter was def. more frightening and more believable

more sympathetic too .. which was a much better way to play it.
The music boosted the film miles above the remake by itself also..

MichaelMyers
11-07-2004, 09:16 AM
Manhunter.

Shade
11-08-2004, 01:08 PM
I saw Manhunter before Red Dragon. I prefer Red Dragon...I love Hopkins as Hannibal...But if we're really going to get down to this the original Red Dragon novel has em' both beat.

IDrinkYourBlood
11-16-2004, 01:18 PM
quick fun fact - the dude in manhunter is the directers voice in manhunt the game

this quick fun tip has been brought to you by IDrinkYourBlood

Elvis_Christ
12-13-2004, 09:19 PM
I like Manhunter a lot better than Red Dragon. Red Dragon like Hannibal was just an overblown piece of trash designed to make Hannibal Lector a franchise.

zombie2112
12-14-2004, 12:24 AM
I saw Manhunter again last night and it's always been my favourite of the series. Ok, there are a couple of serious Miami Vice moments, including the music, but overall, Mann's vision of the novel is brilliant.

;)

TheOmen
12-14-2004, 01:39 AM
I was not overly impressed with Red Dragon. That being said, I don't remember being impressed by Manhunter either. But that was many years ago when I was just a young buck. So I'lll give it another spin this weekend.

nine9
12-27-2004, 08:39 AM
I really liked Manhunter. I liked the actor that played the Tooth Fairy better than Ralph in RD.......way way more creepy!

Fienes is too pretty to be creepy.......a hairlip just doesn't cut it.

:rolleyes:

I really think though that Hopkins owns that role and has made it his own.

Excellent movie! I would highly recommend it too! :D

last bad move
12-27-2004, 10:11 AM
i would have to say man hunter but i like red dragon. hopkins is a very effective hanible and edward norton is awsome as well but manhunter was just great

slasherman
01-02-2005, 08:43 AM
I have to say "Red Dragon".....its a prequel .."Manhunter" is not...
I was i little disapointed after watching "Manhunter"....I think i saw it after "Red Dragon"....

AUSTIN316426808
01-02-2005, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by urgeok

A lot of horror fans are new .. and may not realize that before Silence of the lambs, Hannibal, and Red Dragon .. there was another movie called Manhunter by Michael Mann ... which was recently remade as Red Dragon - based on the Thomas Harris novel of the same name.

Even if you are aware (it was probably mentioned when Red Dragon was released) you may not have have seen it ...

If not I highly recommend it .
I'd be interested in hearing anyone's opinions one way ot the other if you've seen it.

i knew i saw another movie about hannibal lector but it was when i was really young and couldn't remember anything about it besides that i heard the name hannibal and i saw someone with that same mask on with the three bars over the mouth now that i know i didn't imagine the whole thing and i know the name of it i have to get it.

thanks urgeok.

AUSTIN316426808
01-02-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by urgeok

The music in Manhunter is amazing too .. Mann really has a head for making the music as much a part of a film as any other aspect of it.

he really did that in collateral

Hate_Breeder
01-02-2005, 10:26 AM
Manhunter