PDA

View Full Version : raising funds to make movies

Ken L. Jones
10-08-2004, 02:29 PM
Ex-Disney cartoonist,who has also worked on a few horror movies, is now embarking on making his own horror films from his own original ideas and would like to talk to anybody who is knowledgeable about film distribution and raising capital to finance movies. I am located in Southern California. Email me at [email protected].

MichaelMyers
10-09-2004, 10:18 AM
Bake sale.

Dark_Hero
10-10-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by MichaelMyers
Bake sale.

Lol

Hal_Delrich
10-16-2004, 09:35 AM
Hmmm...I think this is something that is worth talking about, it's something I also need help with; how do you get financing for indepedent films ? Bake Sale ? wtf ?

massacre man
10-16-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by MichaelMyers
Bake sale. that's stupid

lemonade stand

N0Hypocrites
10-17-2004, 07:36 PM
Just sell your blood and/or partake in government research projects that use you as a guniea pig.
CK

Hal_Delrich
10-21-2004, 05:29 PM
Just sell your blood and/or partake in government research projects that use you as a guniea pig.

...no.

N0Hypocrites
10-22-2004, 01:10 AM
Well then I would suggest one of four things at this point. Either
1) Go to work, pay for movie out of your own pocket (join the club)
2) Have a lot of indifferent wealthy friends and relatives who are willing to part with gobs of money, especially to keep you away from them regardlessly.
3) Have an actual new and original storyline that would actually make people want to give you money for this new idea of a film
4) Win the lottery and stop asking ridiculous questions that insult people who are doing 1-3.
I think that sums that all up.
CK

ADOM
11-03-2004, 09:02 PM
How low budget are you willing to go? Can the film be shot on digital video for under $10K. $20K $30K
I don't suggest maxing out your credit cards, but if you had a great vacation planned how much would it cost. Spend those weeks shooting your film instead.

If you're going to want investors produce a short, or better yet a series of shorts. Start with something silent and really short and work your up until you have something that you feel captures the essence of what you want to do with the bigger project. If you can show a $1,000 short with professional production values to some people with discresionary funds who are willing to gamble, you just may be able to raise some money.

Film festival awards can start some dialogues and so can a good script and demo reel or short film. After that it is really up to you how much you know and how much you believe in your product.

I do a lot of films out of my own pocket and DP for other indies as cheaply as I can to pay for it and keep some money in my pocket. It's not an easy balance, but it's what I want to do.

Elliot_Voorhees
02-02-2005, 12:53 AM
It seems to annoy me when people are actually looking for help to do something, and people are just being douche bags about it...Strange, Ell voorhees.

MisterSadistro
02-02-2005, 01:00 AM
The guy basically came in asking for money. Notice it was his one and only post ? Too many people do that crap constantly.
CK

Elliot_Voorhees
02-02-2005, 01:15 AM
Yeh, well I guess your right. But I don't see many people gettin help oftenly.

MisterSadistro
02-02-2005, 09:53 AM
When they show saying "help me by sending money, scripts, ideas, etc." and are new members, they will definitely get flak for it. Spamming, too. There are quite a few examples of this here (mostly in the indie film and filmmaker sections). Look around.
CK

The STE
02-03-2005, 06:49 PM
two words: prostitution

MisterSadistro
02-03-2005, 11:55 PM
two words: prostitution
Word. Even though we argued like a couple of mongoloids over 'Kill Bill Vol 2', I'm sure we still agree that any noob who shows up spamming their film or whatnot is the lowest of the low. Damn. My nipples are hard just waiting for the next one to attack :D
CK